Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

"James E. Cannon" wrote in message
I've decided that this is on-topic for this NG since many of us order
large tools that have to be delivered freight.

When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I
can even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks. \

IMHO, depends. For home delivery, the truck driver is NOT required to do
anything but bring the package to the liftgate. It's your responsibility
from there. That said, in every case when I've had a heavy delivery to my
home, the driver has taken it from the truck and wheeled it up the driveway
into my garage. I usually meet them with a hand truck and am prepared to
schlep it around but never have I had to. In this case, I always give the
driver a tip - usually $10.

Business delivery? No way - that's their job and they get paid well.

Just MHO,

Vic