Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Locutus" wrote in message
. As a result, see see higher crime rates. Some one needs to help
teach our children right from wrong and it is a 24 hour a day job.

Crime rates have been steadily declining over the past 20 years....

Sure, we've redefined crimes. Society now accepts bad behavior

I'll have to beliece that you hit the nail on the head. Spanking your child
was probably considered a crime.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

A child acting like a child is normal. An adult acting like a child has
something wrong with him at best.

--
--John

A child running through a restaurant screaming is normal behavior?

Not in my family. It is unacceptable behavior that is promptly addressed.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Steve B" wrote in message

Yes, and in today's society makes as much sense as getting out of your
car to correct that driver that just cut you off.

I have done that too although my wife was not impressed. I did wait until
the SOB cut me off a second time on the same street. He rolled his window
up quickly.

You were lucky. Many people have been killed or seriously injured in that
exact scenario.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

A child acting like a child is normal. An adult acting like a child has
something wrong with him at best.

Not in a restraunt or a place that they are disruptive. Yelling and
screaming out side with other kids is normal. Yelling and screaming in a
restaurant is a sign of wimp parents with no regard for others.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
. As a result, see see higher crime rates. Some one needs to help
teach our children right from wrong and it is a 24 hour a day job.
Crime rates have been steadily declining over the past 20 years....

Sure, we've redefined crimes. Society now accepts bad behavior

c'mon.. that is not true at all.

I dunno; parents are way too permissive from what I've seen in public with
kids cursing, standing on restaurant tables and the parents act totally
oblivious. I would have been drawn and quartered if I'd done 1/2 of what
the little brats today get away with on a regular basis. Look at
Supernanny or Nanny 911 to get a glimpse of todays little monsters and
their pathetically inept parents.

Dave

I would agree with you there, but none of those things were ever "criminal".
If anything, a lot of things that are criminal today were not 30 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

New Orleans and Houston are not "a whole". Violent crime in the United
States has declined about 35 percent since 1991.
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm.

Well I stand corrected then. Where it is down I suspect the kids were
properly disciplined.

Actually, if you read the book Freakonomics, it is down where the kids were
aborted. Don't know if it's true or not, but it's definitely an interesting
theory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow
his pride on occasion and try to see it from his customers point if view.

Trying to understand other sides and views isn't a bad overall life
strategy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Steve B" wrote in message

Yes, and in today's society makes as much sense as getting out of your
car to correct that driver that just cut you off.

I have done that too although my wife was not impressed. I did wait
until the SOB cut me off a second time on the same street. He rolled his
window up quickly.

You were lucky. Many people have been killed or seriously injured in that
exact scenario.

Steve

I wouldn't consider it lucky. You probably have about a good of chance of
winning the lottery as you do getting killed for confronting someone about
cutting you off....

People just don't have any stones anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Steve B wrote:
I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98 ways
to make your **** disappear for long periods of time.

Steve

LOL.. I worked at one place, it was huge, it had about 8 different
shipping docks scattered all over the "campus".. My boss was a prick.
He was expecting 6 large packages. Every day, he called up our dock and
gave them hell about "where's my packages?" They fixed him up good.
Over the next 3 months, they slowly started to be "found" at other
docks. Every one of them was damaged.

I didn't help with this, and I don't condone it, but sometimes it's
better not to be a jerk to people that can screw you over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

Dave

I would agree with you there, but none of those things were ever
"criminal". If anything, a lot of things that are criminal today were not
30 years ago.

Why do you suppose there are more criminal laws today than 30 years ago????

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Locutus" wrote in message

Dave

I would agree with you there, but none of those things were ever
"criminal". If anything, a lot of things that are criminal today were not
30 years ago.

Why do you suppose there are more criminal laws today than 30 years
ago????

Exactly. So to say that we have become more tolerant of crime and that is
the reason crime is down is absurd.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
David wrote:

I dunno; parents are way too permissive from what I've seen in public
with kids cursing, standing on restaurant tables and the parents act
totally oblivious. I would have been drawn and quartered if I'd done
1/2 of what the little brats today get away with on a regular basis.
Look at Supernanny or Nanny 911 to get a glimpse of todays little
monsters and their pathetically inept parents.

As the parent of a 2nd grader, and who is active in our neighborhood
elementary school (middle to lower income families with a good
percentage hispanic), plus live across the street from a city
playground/park, I can say the vast majority of kids behave as we would
expect them to - polite, mannered and good all around kids. I've seen
nothing of the sort of bad behavior you are relating. Occasionally I've
witnessed a melt-down, inappropriate behavior or foul language but by
and large the instances are rare.

Don't get too fixated up on believing that what you see on TV is
commonplace. The programs like Supernanny wouldn't exist if the
scenarios were not over-the-top - likewise with the "news magazine"
segments.

You know how, when you are interested in a buying a certain vehicle, you
spot that car "all over the place"? It's not that they weren't there all
the time, it's just that you are now focusing your attention on looking
for them. I believe the same is true of most things - if you are looking
for poor behavior, you'll spot it. You'll become overly critical and
judgmental since it's something you dislike - generalizing that kids
today are out of control merely because you have become fixated on every
instance you can spot.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

There is no "W" in Leadership.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:16:42 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

Yes, and in today's society makes as much sense as getting out of your car
to correct that driver that just cut you off.

I have done that too although my wife was not impressed. I did wait until
the SOB cut me off a second time on the same street. He rolled his window
up quickly.

So you're a road rage loon. I'll bet your wife is so proud....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

So you're a road rage loon. I'll bet your wife is so proud....

It was MY road BTY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:

[...]

I only notice the kids in public that are acting up. What galls me is
the parents give-a-**** attitude, like their kids behavior is fine and
dandy. would you eat at a table where you just witness 2 kids JUMPING
all over the table with their dirty shoes? The kids don't respect the
parents and I doubt the parents have much self respect either. My kid
would never have even THOUGHT about acting like such a hellion, much
less that I'd have to punish such behavior.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:34:52 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

So you're a road rage loon. I'll bet your wife is so proud....

It was MY road BTY.

That doesn't make you special.
Lots of people think they own the road.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

henry wrote:
. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

No, if it's a buffet, a lot of people think like you and stiff them. I
worked at a place like that in college. A group of six comes in and
stuffs their faces. You spend 30 minutes refilling their drinks and
they leave you a dollar. Keep in mind that some restuarants report tip
income as a percentage of sales the waiter has.

Also, consider that many buffet's are "budget" type restuarants where
cheap *******s eat and the tips are poor.

Give them a full tip at a buffet restuarant.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Steve B wrote:
We had two OBNOXIOUS children in a booth near us at a Mexican restaurant one
night. Screaming and running around. I have been going to this restaurant
chain for decades. When I complained to the manager, she said, "This IS a
family restaurant." I did the meanest nastiest thing I could. I told her
that she would get no more of my business, that I would bring no more family
or guests to the restaurant, and would not suggest it when asked for a good
Mexican restaurant.

Her attitude was, whatever.

What do you expect her to do though? The manager can't spank the kids.

Why didn't you ask to be moved to another table?

Her attitude was "whatever" because she hears that threat from people
like you 5 times a shift. The funny thing is, that most people who
threaten that do come back. LOL.

In the end, your meal two times a month doesn't make much of a
difference. Interesting how you complained about PITA customers when
you delivered frieght, and now you were a PITA customer to the manager.
What exactly did you expect her to do? Throw out the family with kids
to appease a customer that's threatened to never come back?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess I may be in a minority here. I don't seem to `know who should
be tipped outside of restaurants. I don't tip lawyers or accountants.
I don't tip police or firefighters. I don't tip the lady at the DMV
that takes my picture. I don't tip the cashier at K-Mart. I would
never have even thought of tipping a truck driver before this thread.
Nobody has ever offered to tip me for getting out payroll on time,
paying vendors or submitting financial statements (let alone for
collecting their taxes). I really don't get the concept of having to
pay extra to get people to do the job that they get a paycheck for
doing. Just to show that I don't have consistency in my "philosphy", I
always holiday tipped the newspaper delivery boy or girl when they
still had newspaper delivery boys and girls (I have never tipped the
adult that drives past heaving out newspapers, though).

Dave Hall

On 9 Aug 2006 06:03:06 -0700, "brianlanning"
wrote:

After reading the entire thread, I'm sort of shocked by most of the
opinions.

It's likely that I'm making a lot more than the delivery guy. So for
me, $20 to make his day and to encourage him to place the machine in my
garage and wait for me to unpack it is a small price to pay. I know
for a lot of people cash is (their) king. But for me, I never let it
get in the way of treating people right. For me, the $20 is not too
significant, i'll never miss it, and probably means more to the
delivery guy that it does to me. And before you think I was born in to
money or something, I was the child of a single mother in a trailer
park and took seven years to pay my own way through college while
working two jobs and raising three children.

As for the restaurant, I try to leave 20% unless I have to get my own
food, then it's less.

If you want to see the power of tipping, consider this: I have soon to
be nine children. When I take most of them to a restaurant I've never
been to, the waitresses fight because no one wants our table. But if I
tip my normal 20%, the next time, they fight because they want our
table.

The same is true for the delivery guy. If I continue to buy grizzly
machines, there's a good chance that the same saia delivery guy will
bring me the machine. In the past, I could tell that some of the
drivers were jealous of my shop, either because of things they said, or
just the look on their face. I think the $20 in this case does several
things. From an interpersonal relationship standpoint, it ensures that
they'll remember me the next time. It (most likely) ensures good
service this time. It brightens their day. And from a practical
standpoint, it may prevent them from showing up at 3am to clean out the
shop.

You might view this as an extortion payment, but I tend to think of it
as good people skills.

James E. Cannon wrote:
When a truck driver drops a pallet in your garage, is he expecting a tip?
How much? What do you think?

I don't think they're expecting it. I give them a $20.

It's never a question with the UPS guy since he is already gone before I can
even answer the door, but the freight guy is a different story.

UPS is different.

This is why the whole concept of tipping sucks.

I agree when it's not clear what the rules are. Russia is a tipping
culture and I had nothing but problems there. The translator said
restaurants are 10%, I left more because it felt wrong. The bellhop in
moscow thought I was a cheapskate for tipping him $5.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in
message
news | In article
,
| David wrote:
|

|snip
|
| I believe the same is true of most things - if you
are looking
| for poor behavior, you'll spot it. You'll become
overly critical and
| judgmental since it's something you dislike -
generalizing that kids | today are out of control
merely because you have become fixated |on every
instance you can spot.
| --
| Owen Lowe
| The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
| _________
|
| There is no "W" in Leadership.

I'm not sure I agree. But, then maybe I do.

When you turn off the TV news, focus only on the Sports
section of the newspaper, cut some wood, socialize with
your family, friends and neighbors, the kids you know
aren't bad at all. (NIMBY)

But the kids in another neighborhood, another city,
another state are the ones with poor grades and
juvenile records. So let us just raise taxes and pass
laws

Jack

--
But I'm not paranoid but they are after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Aug 2006 12:12:22 -0700, "bf" wrote:

henry wrote:
. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

No, if it's a buffet, a lot of people think like you and stiff them. I
worked at a place like that in college. A group of six comes in and
stuffs their faces. You spend 30 minutes refilling their drinks and
they leave you a dollar. Keep in mind that some restuarants report tip
income as a percentage of sales the waiter has.

Also, consider that many buffet's are "budget" type restuarants where
cheap *******s eat and the tips are poor.

Give them a full tip at a buffet restuarant.

I tip at the buffet, cab driver, pizza delivery, bell hop, bartender,
belly dancer, carolers, maid. But, I have never tipped a freight
delivery driver, UPS, nor FedEx.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The parents were mirror images of the children.

All the more reason to explain proper public behavior to the
parents.

I'm sorry. I have never had a talent for communicating with idiots.
They don't understand me, and I can't lower myself to their level no
matter what the purpose.

Steve

It does take balls.

Combination of nature and nurture results in bad behaving brats; kids
end up like the parents. If you were to confront the parents, they'd
probably laugh at you or tell you to go to hell or tell you to mind your
own business. But in a civilized society, parents raising
hellions/brats is everyone's business. Because we're going to be the
ones paying for a lot of these brats when they get older. When they get
knocked up by other losers and then get on welfare/section 8/ssi/food
stamps/medicaid, etc.. Or if they go nuts or get on drugs, then they'll
be declared "mentally ill" and get an SSI check/Medicaid/Section 8
monthly. Bad parenting costs taxpayers lots of money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wouldn't consider it lucky. You probably have about a good of chance
of winning the lottery as you do getting killed for confronting
someone about cutting you off....

People just don't have any stones anymore.

I was coming down a tight, twisting mountain road with huge cliffs. I was
going the speed limit, 35mph. Some rednecks in a beat up old Chevy truck
rush right up to my back bumper and stay there all the way down. I mean
like 10 feet behind me. So I roll down my window and flip them the
universal sign for "you're number 1." They took offense, burned rubber,
sped around me, got in front of me and started slowing way down. When we
were at about 10mph, they drove over to the shoulder and stopped and 3
shirtless inbreds jumped out. I drove over to the shoulder also (in front
of them) but didn't stop completely. Then I just floored it and threw a
lot of dirt back at them! It was classic. Then I sped down the rest of
the mountain, not too far to go, and took off. Don't you hate when someone
else makes the driving error, you call them on it, and THEY take offense!
Like they're the ones who were following the safety/road rules.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Exactly. So to say that we have become more tolerant of crime and that is
the reason crime is down is absurd.

Could the crime rate be "down" because now there are so many criminals in
the system that they plea bargain every offense down?

In your town alone, how many criminals have gotten off light, or had their
offense pled down, and gone free with time served?

That is why the figures are down. The formula has been changed.

You can find statistics to support any conclusion.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote:
A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow his pride
on occasion and try to see it from his customers point if view.

Trying to understand other sides and views isn't a bad overall life
strategy.

Only if it immobilizes you to the point that you cannot then go and do the
right thing.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
> [...]

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Steve B" wrote in message

Yes, and in today's society makes as much sense as getting out of your
car to correct that driver that just cut you off.

I have done that too although my wife was not impressed. I did wait
until the SOB cut me off a second time on the same street. He rolled
his window up quickly.

You were lucky. Many people have been killed or seriously injured in
that exact scenario.

Steve

I wouldn't consider it lucky. You probably have about a good of chance of
winning the lottery as you do getting killed for confronting someone about
cutting you off....

People just don't have any stones anymore.

Yeah. And I don't see a lot of old folks homes for pirates, gangsters, or
badasses, either.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote

I didn't help with this, and I don't condone it, but sometimes it's
better not to be a jerk to people that can screw you over.

Makes about as much sense as insulting your barber during a haircut, doesn't
it?

And yet, there are those who will do it.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"grappletech" wrote in message
[...]

I think there needs to be a study done to determine why idiots are so
fertile. Maybe because they don't work a lot, and have lots of time on
their hands to screw?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:34:52 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

So you're a road rage loon. I'll bet your wife is so proud....

It was MY road BTY.

That doesn't make you special.
Lots of people think they own the road.

Musta been a property stake error.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"grappletech" wrote in message
The parents were mirror images of the children.

Combination of nature and nurture results in bad behaving brats; kids
end up like the parents. If you were to confront the parents, they'd
probably laugh at you or tell you to go to hell or tell you to mind your
own business. But in a civilized society, parents raising
hellions/brats is everyone's business. Because we're going to be the
ones paying for a lot of these brats when they get older. When they get
knocked up by other losers and then get on welfare/section 8/ssi/food
stamps/medicaid, etc.. Or if they go nuts or get on drugs, then they'll
be declared "mentally ill" and get an SSI check/Medicaid/Section 8
monthly. Bad parenting costs taxpayers lots of money.

Unfortunately most people look the other way and later wonder why the world
is the way it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"John Flatley" wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. But, then maybe I do.

When you turn off the TV news, focus only on the Sports
section of the newspaper, cut some wood, socialize with
your family, friends and neighbors, the kids you know
aren't bad at all. (NIMBY)

But the kids in another neighborhood, another city,
another state are the ones with poor grades and
juvenile records. So let us just raise taxes and pass
laws

Or build more prisons, start more intervention programs...

But then, how about let's concentrate our attention and mentoring with
our own neighborhood's kids instead of criticizing those across town, in
another state or country. Get involved with kids in *your* local school,
sports, your library reading program, etc. - you'll be richly rewarded
and you'll be a positive influence on their lives. I think you'll
(generically speaking) find you have little to complain about once you
get to know them - besides, it's great when they see you out and about
and enthusiastically come up to greet you - that's when you know you're
making a difference.

Try it out for an hour a week - I bet you'll be looking to put in more
time in short order.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
_________

There is no "W" in Leadership.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"Steve B" wrote in message
> [...]

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote:
A good and successful salesman or representative has to swallow his
pride on occasion and try to see it from his customers point if view.

Trying to understand other sides and views isn't a bad overall life
strategy.

Only if it immobilizes you to the point that you cannot then go and do
the right thing.

Steve

HUH?

People overthink things. "What will the other person think?" "How will I
look if I do this or that?" So, they do nothing, because they are
immobilized. They do nothing. When deep down inside they know the right
thing to do, but can't because they are restrained by the "what ifs" placed
on them.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"grappletech" wrote in message
I was coming down a tight, twisting mountain road with huge cliffs. I was
going the speed limit, 35mph. Some rednecks in a beat up old Chevy truck
rush right up to my back bumper and stay there all the way down.

If you were doing the speed limit, I'd probably be riding on your ass too.
I hate it when people creep along like that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
t:

"grappletech" wrote in message
I was coming down a tight, twisting mountain road with huge cliffs.
I was going the speed limit, 35mph. Some rednecks in a beat up old
Chevy truck rush right up to my back bumper and stay there all the
way down.

If you were doing the speed limit, I'd probably be riding on your ass
too. I hate it when people creep along like that.

Did you read what I had written? I was coming down a dangerous mountain
with tight, twisting turns and high cliffs. I was going the speed
limit. And chances are, if I weren't there, the truck wouldn't have
gone too much over the speed limit himself; he was just being an ass by
riding my bumper. So I let him know about it. It was only 1.5 miles
coming down that mountain, the SOB in the truck should have been content
to stay at the speed limit and probably was, but again he had to be an
ass and tailgate me. People who rush up on people, tailgate, and stay
there are asses, plain and simple. I think you're describing a
different type situation: like being behind some person driving 15mph in
a 25mph or something in a one-lane residential area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"grappletech" wrote in message

Did you read what I had written? I was coming down a dangerous mountain
with tight, twisting turns and high cliffs. I was going the speed
limit.

Yes, I read it. My answer stands. If the speed limit is 35, you won't go
over the cliff at 36. Yes, I've driven on twisting mountain roads. If the
posted speed is X, you can usually safely drive a X+10 mph

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"grappletech" wrote in message

Did you read what I had written? I was coming down a dangerous mountain
with tight, twisting turns and high cliffs. I was going the speed
limit.

Yes, I read it. My answer stands. If the speed limit is 35, you won't
go over the cliff at 36. Yes, I've driven on twisting mountain roads. If
the posted speed is X, you can usually safely drive a X+10 mph

"Usually"? What happens in the "unusual" cases?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"grappletech" wrote in message

Did you read what I had written? I was coming down a dangerous
mountain with tight, twisting turns and high cliffs. I was going the
speed limit.

Yes, I read it. My answer stands. If the speed limit is 35, you
won't go over the cliff at 36. Yes, I've driven on twisting mountain
roads. If the posted speed is X, you can usually safely drive a X+10
mph

So you would tailgate someone who's going down a steep hill at the speed
limit? Dude, if you did that to me, I'd flash you the "you're number
1" sign, and if you pulled over to the shoulder and got out, you'd have
problems. Major problems. The guy in the truck would have had a major
problem, but he had 2 of his fellow rednecks with him, so I didn't stop.
:-)