Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

henry wrote:

I give 20% to wait staff because I know they make a couple of bucks an
hour and depend on it. Not to mention the time setting up or clean up
making no tips. If outback gave me lousy food I might resort to 15%.
but that is wrong because it proably was the kitchen fault and not the
wait staff.

If the food is lousy it's not the waiter's fault, but part of the tip
usually goes to the cook (you think the waiter gets to keep it all?).

I don't have a problem with leaving a tip. I _do_ have a problem with being
told that I _must_ leave a tip of a certain amount, especially when the
service sucks (which it usually does in places where they attempt to force
you to tip). If the management wants the staff to have a 15% raise they
should raise their prices 15% and then pay them.

The driver on the other hand is making a decent living and
not dependent on tips. The house delivery is charged extra. Even UPS
charges more for home delivery.Of course some one going the extra mile
in service would get a tip. My only confusion is tip at a buffet. I
think 10% because they can cover at least twice as many people.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate