Old December 4th 19, 04:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Adam's apprentices

Adam's apprentices have apparently banded together and formed a
scaffolding firm here in London.

Next door are having some work done, and they wanted to brace their
scaffolding against my house. Absolutely fine, I said.

They put one brace against the brickwork, and the other against a window!

Anyway, the neighbour is getting them round tomorrow to move it. But,
surely, the scaffolders knew perfectly well when they did it that it was
completely wrong. I guess they get away with it a lot of the time, so
they don't care. But, if I were a builder and noticed it, I certainly
would not feel safe up there, and I wouldn't use that firm again.

Old December 4th 19, 05:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Would it not go through the window and the cost would probably bankrupt the
scaffolding company. Yes it seems that the scaffolding is often erected by a
contractor of the contractor.
Brian

I had scaffolding at the front of my house during the summer and around
6 weeks later my neighbour had the same. Two different companies and it
was evident from how the scaffolding was erected and dismantled[1] that
the company that I employed knew what they were doing and the company
that my neighbour used were somewhat lacking in skill.

Price guide for anyone interested (SE Essex): £360 incl. VAT. I had the
scaffolding up for around 5 weeks with no extra charges.

[1]
Mid-terrace houses and 3 stage scaffolding to front of house up to roof
ridge above bay windows. My house, when dismantling it was less than one
hour from the truck tuning up, 3 men to dismantle and load the truck to
the truck leaving. My neighbours scaffolding company nearer 4 hours to
do the same job with 3 men.

Old December 4th 19, 07:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/12/2019 15:43, GB wrote:
Adam's apprentices have apparently banded together and formed a
scaffolding firm here in London.

Next door are having some work done, and they wanted to brace their
scaffolding against my house. Absolutely fine, I said.

They put one brace against the brickwork, and the other against a window!

Anyway, the neighbour is getting them round tomorrow to move it. But,
surely, the scaffolders knew perfectly well when they did it that it was
completely wrong. I guess they get away with it a lot of the time, so
they don't care. But, if I were a builder and noticed it, I certainly
would not feel safe up there, and I wouldn't use that firm again.

Should put a photo up of that.

This time last year a third year apprentice was wiring new-builds on his
own. I worked through through the first one with him and made sure he
was happy with what he had to do. He completed all houses with no cock ups.

This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can fit a
back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc. Due to the
minimum wage rules and the fact we run a business then they will
probably soon be laid off.

--
Adam
Old December 4th 19, 09:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 18:03:51 UTC, ARW wrote:
This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can fit a
back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc.

Could I suggest that being able to wire up a two way lightswitch should be an *entry criterion* to being an electrical apprentice?

Fairly sure I could have done it at 16.

In fact I was probably doing it about 8, with a battery and paperclips and brass paper fasteners for switches :-)

If someone hasn't got to that stage by 16, where is the evidence of their interest and ability?

Owain

Admittedly my back boxes aren't always straight, but I blame the bricks...

Old December 4th 19, 10:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 18:03:51 UTC, ARW wrote:
This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can fit a
back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc.

Could I suggest that being able to wire up a two way lightswitch
should be an *entry criterion* to being an electrical apprentice?

Problem is that they have to take what they
can get or end up with no apprentices at all.
Better to have some that can do some jobs
than no apprentices at all.

Fairly sure I could have done it at 16.

I know I could, because I did rather younger than that.

In fact I was probably doing it about 8, with a battery
and paperclips and brass paper fasteners for switches :-)

Yeah, me too. I did all the electrical work that needed to
be done for the parents and they did do full scale renos
of the houses they owned at that sort of my age.

If someone hasn't got to that stage by 16, where
is the evidence of their interest and ability?

Sure, but see above.

Old December 4th 19, 11:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 08:57:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Problem is that

Problem is that you are a trolling piece of senile ****!

FLUSH the rest of your troll**** unread

cretin from Oz:
Old December 5th 19, 08:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Not a new phenomenon though, back when we first got broadband the first
chap, very young came to fit the junction box on the wall, when later on
after the whole thing had been in for a year or so, the box fell off the
wall, the guy had used a screw straight into the brickwork and a nail in the
other screw.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old December 5th 19, 03:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 18:03:51 UTC, ARW wrote:

This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can fit a
back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc. Due to the
minimum wage rules and the fact we run a business then they will
probably soon be laid off.

I've just had a 2nd year electronic engineering student studying for a degree ask me what the connector on the end of the soldering iron is for, I said to connect to the power supply, what power supply ? was the next question.