Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Adam's apprentices

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 18:03:51 UTC, ARW wrote:
This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can fit a
back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc.

Could I suggest that being able to wire up a two way lightswitch
should be an *entry criterion* to being an electrical apprentice?

Problem is that they have to take what they
can get or end up with no apprentices at all.
Better to have some that can do some jobs
than no apprentices at all.

Fairly sure I could have done it at 16.

I know I could, because I did rather younger than that.

In fact I was probably doing it about 8, with a battery
and paperclips and brass paper fasteners for switches :-)

Yeah, me too. I did all the electrical work that needed to
be done for the parents and they did do full scale renos
of the houses they owned at that sort of my age.

If someone hasn't got to that stage by 16, where
is the evidence of their interest and ability?

Sure, but see above.