Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adam's apprentices

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 8:38:33 AM UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 05/12/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 18:03:51 UTC, ARW wrote:

This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can fit a
back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc. Due to the
minimum wage rules and the fact we run a business then they will
probably soon be laid off.

I've just had a 2nd year electronic engineering student studying for a degree ask me what the connector on the end of the soldering iron is for, I said to connect to the power supply, what power supply ? was the next question.

A fair question if he has only been given the working end of a
temperature controlled soldering iron and no control box. Or was the
connector on the end of the lead a mains plug?

Before starting an apprentiship, at least in Scotland there is a test. The electrician one is the hardest. Adam should be seeing the best that is on offer as far as apprentises go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/6/2019 12:07 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 07:11:10 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

When our daughter moved into a shared flat, we gave her a set of basic
tools - in 'girly' colours, so her male flatmates wouldn't
'accidentally' acquire them.

No.1 Daugher asked for a tool kit when she moved into rented student
accomdation. Didn't dare get her one in girly colours though.

Turns out, not only didn't the guys have tool-kits, they wouldn't have
known what to do with them.

Do you wish to rephrase that? Most odd for a young male not to know
what to do with his tool kit. B-)

I didn't dare ask about that.

But the boys were totally useless when it came to hammers, spanners and,
umm, the pointy things for twirling threaded objects which are used to
fasten stuff together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 19:00:39 UTC, misterroy wrote:
Before starting an apprentiship, at least in Scotland there is a
test. The electrician one is the hardest. Adam should be seeing
the best that is on offer as far as apprentises go.

Sample test here

http://www.sectt.org.uk/assessment.html

I got 100% but that was with a couple of short-cuts on the mental arithmetic.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/12/2019 22:56, Robin wrote:

*assuming they want to train apprentices rather than, say, just torment
Adam

If I think they are trying it on I make sexual comments about their
mother. That usually upsets them or stops them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:21 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost FOUR HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 05:21:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

05:21??? LOL STILL not bedtime for you, abnormal senile cretin from Oz?

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 05:16:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal idiot's latest troll****

05:16??? LOL And you have been up and trolling for HOW many hours already?
Do tell us! LMAO

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/12/2019 22:50, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 05/12/2019 22:16, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

When they start with use they cannot use a screwdriver. Things were
different 10 years ago, they get worse every year in most cases. Every
so often you get a good one.

Why doesn't your boss give potential apprentices a simple test
to find out if they have even the slightest knowledge of the
subject they wish to be paid to learn about?

For example:

1. What is the UK mains voltage? (Accept both 240 & 230,
though the latter answer might indicate a better knowledge of
the subject.)

2. What are the colours of the wires in a 3-core mains lead?

L?
N?
E?

3. [Line drawing of the inside of a 13A plug.]

On the drawing, using the letters C, E, F, L & N, show the
Live, Neutral and Earth connections and the position of the
Fuse and Cable clamp.

I'm sure you can think up a few more simple general knowledge
questions in similar vein which would, at least, indicate that
they have a head on their shoulders and are not complete and
utter thickos - which many of your apprentces seemm to be!

I once asked one of them how old they were.

Just myself and him in the same room so nothing too complicated.

I think his answer was some sort of a question.

Me "How old are you?"
Apprentice "Who me?"

It's easier just to not talk to some of them.

The point I was trying to make is that they shouldn't even be
there for you to (attempt to) talk to them in the first place!

They get a two week trial. We only keep on the ones that last two weeks.

Some last one day. Some do not last a full day. Some never even make it
from the office to the van.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 19:19:44 UTC, ARW wrote:
If I think they are trying it on I make sexual comments about their
mother. That usually upsets them or stops them.

You wouldn't if you'd met my mother.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2019 16:34, Andrew wrote:
The local mayor then asked her (via interpreter) why she hadn't
learnt any french (having been there for 5 years).

I used to work with a guy who'd lived in Germany for 5 years, and not
learned the language.

My question isn't why, but _how_ could you not learn the language!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
On Friday, 6 December 2019 19:00:39 UTC, misterroy wrote:
Before starting an apprentiship, at least in Scotland there is a
test. The electrician one is the hardest. Adam should be seeing
the best that is on offer as far as apprentises go.

Sample test here

http://www.sectt.org.uk/assessment.html

I got 100% but that was with a couple of short-cuts on the mental arithmetic.

Ha! They asked me to fill in an application form:-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/12/2019 19:15, wrote:
On Friday, 6 December 2019 19:00:39 UTC, misterroy wrote:
Before starting an apprentiship, at least in Scotland there is a
test. The electrician one is the hardest. Adam should be seeing
the best that is on offer as far as apprentises go.

Sample test here

http://www.sectt.org.uk/assessment.html

I got 100% but that was with a couple of short-cuts on the mental arithmetic.

How do you work out do some of the answers?

Take Q7

I just think easy. 10% is 24, half that and add it to 24.

BTW the answer to Q12 is to buy an LED lamp before you start:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 21:02:54 UTC, ARW wrote:
How do you work out do some of the answers?
Take Q7
I just think easy. 10% is 24, half that and add it to 24.

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember 15% VAT.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2019 20:15:44 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
I used to work with a guy who'd lived in Germany for 5 years, and not
learned the language.
My question isn't why, but _how_ could you not learn the language!

They all speak English, and Beer Taxi Hotel Police Toilet are the same or close enough.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is that the best that is on offer are mostly hopeless
on the basic work ethic stuff, let alone very basic stuff like getting
back boxes level. Hardly rocket science.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 05/12/2019 22:56, Robin wrote:

*assuming they want to train apprentices rather than, say, just torment
Adam

If I think they are trying it on I make sexual comments about their
mother.

Wota surprise }-(

That usually upsets them or stops them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 10:00 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 10:00:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

10:00 am in Australia? ROTFLOL And you've been up and trolling for NINE
HOURS since about 1 o'clock, you idiotic trolling senile pest! LOL

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:56 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 09:56:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

09:56??? LMAO And you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT LONG for almost NINE
HOURS by now, you abnormal senile cretin!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 10:14 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 10:14:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane senile asshole's latest troll****

10:14??? And you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT, for OVER NINE HOURS
....so far! Why don't you just take your Nembutal, senile idiot? What are you
waiting for?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Bulge - was Adam's apprentices

Paul Herber wrote:
On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 13:26:53 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 06/12/2019 01:01, Roger Hayter wrote:
Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

I was born in 1944. I passed the 11 Plus and went to a Church
school, which covered a large area. It was also a Secondary
Modern for the local area. The Grammar side had 3 forms, A, B,
& C whilst the Secondary Modern side had two forms, D & E.

After WWII, 'The Bulge' started. By the time I left school,
the fisrt year extended to 1H!

Of course, not long after I left school and started work, the
bulge started to emerge onto the employment market.

Our Group Scoutmaster used to chat to us older boys after
weekly meetings and gave the lads who were on the verge of
leaving school a warning.

He worked for Van den Bergh & Jurgens (part of Unilever) who
manufactured Stork Margerine in the main.

Their apprenticeships were well respected and sought after and
they were now being inundated with applications, so they had
found a devious way of reducing the numbers.

They held an examination for all applicant, each of whom was
provided with:

A sheet of blotting paper;
A rough sheet;
An answer paper and
A question paper.

At the top of the question paper it said "ALL WORKING MUST BE
SHOWN ON THE ANSWER PAPER".

At the end of the exam, every sheet of paper was collected
from each desk. If anything had been scribbled on any piece of
paper other than the answer paper, it was an instant fail.
The answer paper might have been 100% correct but it wan't
even marked.

Reason for failure? 'Cannot obey a simple instruction.'

That would make sense if they had said all working should be *confned*
to the answer paper. The instructions as you quote them do *not*
forbid doing rough working on the blotter and transcribing it in neater
writing to the answer paper.

That would show you don't know what blotting paper is for, no doubt
important in those days.

Try working it out with a pencil.

Like the constipated mathematician

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
On 06/12/2019 09:21, michael adams wrote:
"Terry Casey" wrote in message
[...]

Which is clearly nonsense.

If at the top of the question paper it had said

"ALL WORKING MUST BE SHOWN AND *ONLY* ON THE ANSWER PAPER"

Then fair enough. But it didn't, did it ?

But as it stands had any of the candidates first done their
workings on the rough sheet, and then copied all them exactly
but more neatly on the answer paper, then they'd have
satisfied the instruction.

In fact they might even have been more satisfactory
candidates. As being able to do rough workings (as was
implied by the provision of the rough sheet) in line
with their thought processes, rather than being slowed down
by the need to be neat, and copying out the workings
afterwards would probably be a far better way of
proceeding.

You won't necesarily choose smart people by setting trick
questions. And it is a trick given the provision of a
blank sheet of paper. All you're doing is bolstering the
ego of the smartarse who came up with the flawed idea,

michael adams

In current exams, at least Maths unless it has changed in the last few
years- it is normal that you can't be award the Answer (A) mark if you
don't show the working and also get the associated Method (M) mark(s).

I forget the exact detail but from memory for A level Maths, something
like 80% of the marks are Method (M) marks.

Which would knock out savants.

The mark scheme used generally shows the expected method but alternate,
valid, methods are allowed and will receive the same marks. Depending on
how the exam board works, they sometimes circulate modified mark schemes
with alternate approaches which have appeared.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 14:40:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

It was repealed in 1851,

You are well past your best by date.

14:40??? Did you have a four hour break from posting, senile idiot? What did
you do during those four hours? Did you try to sleep, did you take your
medication, did you see your psychiatrist? You see, I care, senile fool! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 02:58:50 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm old enough to remember Window Tax.

But you wuz too poor to 'ave windows :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
When they start with use they cannot use a screwdriver. Things were
different 10 years ago, they get worse every year in most cases.

Blame it on not having a Meccano set as a kid. ;-)

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

I'm old enough to remember Window Tax.

Is that the money you pay to Microsoft, Bill?

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , alan_m
wrote:

On 05/12/2019 22:56, Robin wrote:

ISTM such questions would test how much they /already/ know - which
could vary enormously through chance (eg whether or not they had a
parent who did stuff). What the employer wants to know* is whether or
not they have what it takes to /become/ an electrician. I'd have
thought that was better assessed by testing things all school leavers
ought to know - e.g. basic arithmetic, algebra and comprehension.

A decent interview should sort that out. Its not only what they know but
their attitude to actually working.

I'm sure that most reading this group have HAD to fit a mains plug but
these day they all come moulded onto the cable.

In the US you cannot even buy a mains plug, strickly speaking.

Which would be a problem in our village hall, where the three
appliances you are asked to leave disconnected and (for the two
fridges), door open, have their mains cable coming up through the
counter top via a cable-width hole, with the plug above along with the
wall sockets.

simple, enlarge the hole to take one the many desk cable outlets. It's what
I did for our village hall. Kept the fridge's warranty

from KT24 in Surrey, England