Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Apprentices must really like bollockings

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Not a loo-tennant is he?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger - those
in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger -
those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger -
those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

It's also the law.

see
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility.
Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Isn't this a repost?

Enough said.

Presumably after you said, "get out" it was?

Definitely a repeat, I remember making the same comment last time
(nobody laughed then either . . . .).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:

says...

charles wrote:

The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger -
those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

It's also the law.

No, it's rubbish!!

see
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility.
Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

From the site you quoted (not that it's authoritative)

Adult passengers (14 years and over)
Front: Seat belt MUST be worn if available.
Rear: Seat belt MUST be worn if available.
Responsibility: Passenger

For chapter and verse, start at

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...signature/made

and work back to the Road Traffic Act 1988
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make
me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger
- those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

It's also the law.

see
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility.
Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

You have just posted a link that contradicts your statement. Anyone over 14
is responsible for wearing their own seat belt. It does not matter if they
are sat in the front or back seats.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Isn't this a repost?

Enough said.

Presumably after you said, "get out" it was?

Definitely a repeat, I remember making the same comment last time
(nobody laughed then either . . . .).

It has happened more than once at work. This time the apprentice was not "my
apprentice". They seem to think that vans do not have seatbelt laws or
windscreens to smash their face in.

About 50% of apprentices seem to think that they do not need to wear
seatbelts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you still
take a few on every year or will the current ones be your last lot? Just
intrigued that's all as many companies claimed to have given up with
apprentices based on their poor experience with them. Also, would you
consider getting apprentices through a training provider like JTL?

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 20:07, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you still
take a few on every year or will the current ones be your last lot? Just
intrigued that's all as many companies claimed to have given up with
apprentices based on their poor experience with them. Also, would you
consider getting apprentices through a training provider like JTL?

I'm waiting for the reality TV show.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make
me"

Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger
- those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

It's also the law.

see
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

Front seat passenger - driver's responsibility.
Rear seat (adult) passenger - passenger's responsibility.

It's different if the passenger is a child for obvious reasons.

You have just posted a link that contradicts your statement. Anyone over 14
is responsible for wearing their own seat belt. It does not matter if they
are sat in the front or back seats.

Look again at the "Who is responsible" column.

In every case it is the driver who is responsible.
The one exception is for an adult rear seat passenger - there the
passenger is responsible.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is not an
easy word to spell).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 12, 2012 8:13:15 PM UTC, Adrian C wrote:
On 12/03/2012 20:07, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you still
take a few on every year or will the current ones be your last lot? Just
intrigued that's all as many companies claimed to have given up with
apprentices based on their poor experience with them. Also, would you
consider getting apprentices through a training provider like JTL?

I'm waiting for the reality TV show.

--
Adrian C

shurely surreality? ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:
On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you still
take a few on every year

Per year?

This firm (not mine) can hire and fire them at rate of 2 or 3 a month.

If you find a good one then you keep them. The skill is in finding the good
ones - there is much hidden potential out there.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.
Me "Put your seatbelt on please"
Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"
Enough said.

Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat passenger -
those in the back seats are responsible for themselves.

That is complete rubbish.

the driver is responsible for the front seat passengers at least. Not
sure about the rear

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Well I cannot see how you can disagree with what he says because that is
precisely what the site says.

Driver always responsible except for adult rear seat passengers

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is not
an easy word to spell).

I cant say that is the current law, but that is what that site says

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Driver always responsible except for adult rear seat passengers

Depends how you read the columns, what makes you think the 4th column
only applies to the corresponding row in the 3rd column, rather than the
age/height of the person from the 1st column?

Granted the various statutory instruments, acts and amendments are
difficult to get straight on line, but is this clear and definitive
enough for you and Sam?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ice/DG_4022064

"Anyone travelling in the vehicle aged 14 years and above is responsible
for wearing their seat belt"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

I must be going blind or something. The bottom entry in that table says that
adults, front or rear, must use belts if available, the passenger is
responsible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

It looks like only I and Andy Burns can read then.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 20:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

You're wrong - you may need to read it more carefully, but it doesn't
say what you think it says. You've got three basic choices of action,
which are a) acknowledge your mistake, b) ignore it but don't say any
more on the subject and c) carry on insisting you're right. The first
will get you most credit, the last will merely lead to people thinking
you're an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 12/03/2012 20:14, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In ,
says...

charles wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

The table does seem to make an assumption that the driver is actually sat in
a front seat:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.
Me "Put your seatbelt on please"
Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you
can't make me"
Enough said.
Not true. The driver is resoponsible for teh front seat
passenger - those in the back seats are responsible for
themselves.
That is complete rubbish.
It's also the law.

see
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/Road_Tr...Law/Seat_Belts

I cant say that is the current law, but that is what that site says

Nope, last row ...

"Adult passengers (ie 14 years and over) Seat belt MUST be worn if
available. Seat belt MUST be worn if available. Passenger"

ie anyone over 14 is responsible for their own seatbelt .. The driver
is responsible for himself and any children in the car, wherever they
sit.

--
Paul - xxx
Mark cavendish Danny Hart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:
On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you still
take a few on every year

Per year?

This firm (not mine) can hire and fire them at rate of 2 or 3 a month.

If you find a good one then you keep them. The skill is in finding the
good ones - there is much hidden potential out there.

--
Adam

Seems to me that the main problem here is one of 'attitude'.

If jobs are reportedly so scarce then you would think that apprentices would
have more respect for their 'elders'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:
On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make
me" Enough said.

Given that you regularly grumble about your apprentices, do you
still take a few on every year

Per year?

This firm (not mine) can hire and fire them at rate of 2 or 3 a
month. If you find a good one then you keep them. The skill is in
finding
the good ones - there is much hidden potential out there.

--
Adam

Seems to me that the main problem here is one of 'attitude'.

If jobs are reportedly so scarce then you would think that
apprentices would have more respect for their 'elders'.

Are you calling me old?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 18:35, ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

"Its you that gets to walk home if you don't" seems fitting ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

That sounds like a general attitude problem.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
It has happened more than once at work. This time the apprentice was
not "my apprentice". They seem to think that vans do not have
seatbelt laws or windscreens to smash their face in.

About 50% of apprentices seem to think that they do not need to wear
seatbelts.

If it's a work vehicle then presumably you're responsible for
enforcing a safe system of work, and they could sue you if they did go
through the windscreen and you'd let them travel without the seatbelt?

Owain

Just two questions - how do you enforce that "safe system of work"?

And surely the 'charge' should be the refusal to wear the obligatory piece
of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - i.e the safety harness holding him
to the seat of the vehicle *OR* the wearing of a protective helmet and
full-face visor?

Ah well, apprentices will be apprentices I suppose (but how the f**k can 25
year-olds+ be called an apprentices that really is the question?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 23:39, Unbeliever wrote:
Owain wrote:
On Mar 12, 7:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
It has happened more than once at work. This time the apprentice was
not "my apprentice". They seem to think that vans do not have
seatbelt laws or windscreens to smash their face in.

About 50% of apprentices seem to think that they do not need to wear
seatbelts.

If it's a work vehicle then presumably you're responsible for
enforcing a safe system of work, and they could sue you if they did go
through the windscreen and you'd let them travel without the seatbelt?

Owain

Just two questions - how do you enforce that "safe system of work"?

Same as any other H+S requirement at work. If they don't do what's
mandated, anything from an informal warning to instant dismissal
depending on work policy and severity.

If you're asking how do you enforce eg wearing a seatbelt when there's
no supervision, the answer varies. Most people wouldn't try, but if eg
HSE noticed a company had a large number of injuries caused by crashes
while not wearing a belt, they would demand something be done. First
step would be training, and if people still ignored the rule, you'd need
more drastic measures. Options include in-car/van monitoring (eg a
camera?), not allowing people to travel by car/van, stuff like that.
Fortunately people tend not to be dim enough to let it get that far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

As they probably didn't do shoelaces until about 12 ...

Can they use a knife and fork?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@
blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is not an
easy word to spell).

Careful now. You'll have another one running to his mummy.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes
blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia (and that is not an
easy word to spell).

Careful now. You'll have another one running to his mummy.

Well, walking at least.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...
charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Says nothing of the sort - reread the final row of the table.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 00:28:37 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

As they probably didn't do shoelaces until about 12 ...

Shoe laces are not tied these days but left loose and tucked into the
side of the trainer.

Can they use a knife and fork?

You don't need a knife and fork for burger and fries or pizza.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 8:20*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
* ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

No Adam he's right, that's how it reads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

You are either a thick **** or you suffer from dyslexia

No Adam he's right, that's how it reads.

Has everyone swallowed a dumb pill? Lets look closely

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069855#X0Y0

*IF* the 4th column of the 5th row refers to the person from the 1st
column sitting in the location specified in the 3rd column... then what
meaning does the 1st row have?

And what about the version for the hard of thinking?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Roadsafetyadvice/DG_4022064

"Anyone travelling in the vehicle aged 14 years and above is responsible
for wearing their seat belt"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:20 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

charles wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Fail.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

It looks like only I and Andy Burns can read then.

I haven't bothered reading it, but it was always my understanding the driver
is responsible for kids and adults for themselves.

I did not recall 14 being the cut off age - I would have assumed 16, but
near enough...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Mar 12, 7:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
It has happened more than once at work. This time the apprentice was not
"my apprentice". They seem to think that vans do not have seatbelt laws
or windscreens to smash their face in.

About 50% of apprentices seem to think that they do not need to wear
seatbelts.

If it's a work vehicle then presumably you're responsible for
enforcing a safe system of work, and they could sue you if they did go
through the windscreen and you'd let them travel without the seatbelt?

Owain

Good point -

I do believe Adam could insist the apprentice wears steel toe capped boots,
hi-viz vest and gloves if he wishes to. It would nto be illegal not to, but
it could be in breach of employment of Adam if it is stated as a requirement
up front (cf building sites).

Non compliance = justified disciplinary.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:35:16 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Just about to set off in the van.

Me "Put your seatbelt on please"

Apprentice "It's me that gets the fine, not you, you can't make me"

Enough said.

Obviously you must be a really smooth driver. Make a few panic stops
at random and rearrange his face on the screen, maybe post the video
to Youtube