Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adam's apprentices

In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I left
him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had fallen
off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 07/12/2019 23:46, tim... wrote:

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
ARW wrote:
On 04/12/2019 22:00, Steve Walker wrote:
On 04/12/2019 20:11, wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 18:03:51 UTC, ARW wrote:
This year we have 2 third year apprentices. Neither of them can
fit a back box straight, wire up a two way lightswitch etc etc.

Could I suggest that being able to wire up a two way lightswitch
should be an *entry criterion* to being an electrical apprentice?

Fairly sure I could have done it at 16.

In fact I was probably doing it about 8, with a battery and
paperclips and brass paper fasteners for switches :-)

I think I was about 12 or 13 when I installed the two mains
spotlights, pair of dimmers and changed the switch near the door
of my bedroom from a single gang to a 3-gang, with two way
switching on both the spotlights.

When they start with use they cannot use a screwdriver. Things were
different 10 years ago, they get worse every year in most cases.
Every so often you get a good one.

I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I
asked him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said
yes. I left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had
done had fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

well you didn't ask if he knew about wall-plugs, did you

Used the wrong screws?

Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I left
him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had fallen
off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

Clearly heavy enough to come off if you dont do it right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 5 December 2019 23:45:24 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Cant see that algebra is much use to an electrician.

Of course not, electricians /never/ calculate anything using an equation
do they.

I'd have thought V=IxR fairly essential?

--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Mine weighs 13kg.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 00:25:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

00:25 in Australia, senile Rodent? So, are you about to go to bed or did you
just get out of bed again to start with your latest midnightly idiotic
trolling, you clinically insane trolling senile idiot?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2019 14:30, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Richard wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Mine weighs 13kg.

My Co2 extinguisher must be about that too.

I only use it to cool down bottles of wine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/12/2019 15:05, Andrew wrote:
On 08/12/2019 14:30, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Richard wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Mine weighs 13kg.

My Co2 extinguisher must be about that too.

I only use it to cool down bottles of wine.

An apprentice set one of those off on Thursday in the back of the van.

He threw it in like a dick and caught the handle. It scared the **** out
of the traffic warden giving the van yet another parking ticket.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Any extinguisher that weighs too much for a person to lift is pretty
useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:30 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 04:30:38 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

04:30 ??? You psychopathic swine really know NO shame at all, eh, senile
Rodent? LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2019 14:30, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Richard wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Mine weighs 13kg.

13kg isn't what I'd class as excessively heavy. But then, it's our Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Any extinguisher that weighs too much for a person to lift is pretty
useless.

That depends on the person. While a fit person in their 30s, 40s or 50s
might well manage a proper foam one - someone in their 80s might not. I saw
that someone used a foam one (spraying foram) as a weapon againt the London
Bridge knifer

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 06:01:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Any extinguisher that weighs too much for a person to lift is pretty
useless.

Yes, but

In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal, auto-contradicting senile
cretin?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 06:07:59 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Good thing imo, the last thing the UK needs is his stupid policys.

The thing the UK and the entire world needs is trolling smartassing senile
assholes like you! Take your Nembutal finally!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
On 08/12/2019 14:30, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Mine weighs 13kg.

13kg isn't what I'd class as excessively heavy. But then, it's our Dave.

it's heavy enough to need secure wall fixings

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/12/2019 18:23, charles wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

What better way than to stop a terrorist attack than a gang of ex
convicts armed with a Narwhal tusk and a fire extinguisher..

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Any extinguisher that weighs too much for a person to lift is pretty
useless.

Yes, but those that arent too heavy to lift will still fall off the
wall if you dont use the right combination of plug and screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
In article , Richard
****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to
anyone, unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Mine weighs 13kg.

13kg isn't what I'd class as excessively heavy. But then, it's our Dave.

it's heavy enough to need secure wall fixings

Particulary if it's a plasterboard wall

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2019 18:23, charles wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Richard wrote:
In article ,
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Any extinguisher that weighs too much for a person to lift is pretty
useless.

That depends on the person. While a fit person in their 30s, 40s or 50s
might well manage a proper foam one - someone in their 80s might not.

which would indicate that the extinguisher in the case of your 80 year
old is pretty useless.

I saw
that someone used a foam one (spraying foram) as a weapon againt the London
Bridge knifer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 December 2019 18:52:52 UTC, ARW wrote:
What better way than to stop a terrorist attack than a gang of ex
convicts armed with a Narwhal tusk and a fire extinguisher..

Makes yer proud...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 08:14:08 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Makes yer proud...

Pride is a sin, boy.

Even pride isn't an asshole like you are, senile idiot!

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The standing instructions for any fire extinguisher is to use it if you
think it safe to do so,, otherwise leave. There is no obligation to use it.
The 80 year old might not normally be the principle user of the building.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 09:39:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

There is every chance there will be a Labour Liberal SNP alliance.

BULL****.

That one word would make the perfect nym for you, you clinically insane
senile bull**** artist!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 10:17:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The seat predictions don¢t see any possibility of that
happening, nowhere near enough seats for that. They
fail by more than 100 seats to get that result.

Didn't I tell you to **** off from humans-only newsgroups, Australian pig?

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2019 18:02, Richard wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Richard wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I remember having an apprentice, he was 21. We were hanging fire
extinguishers on the walls in a very posh accountants office. I asked
him if he knew how to use a drill and a screwdriver. He said yes. I
left him to it. The next day I had to go back as what he had done had
fallen off the walls. He made me look like a right ****.

Fixing something heavy to a wall is not something I'd leave to anyone,
unless I was certain they knew how to do such a job.

A fire extinguisher is not exactly heavy.

That applies to all of them?

Any extinguisher that weighs too much for a person to lift is pretty
useless.

I have seen in films, larger ones on trolleys, that can be moved to
where needed, but not carried.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2019 22:07, Fredxx wrote:

There is every chance there will be a Labour Liberal SNP alliance.

Oh yipee! Another parliament where no-one can agree so nothing gets done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 08/12/2019 04:14, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/12/2019 14:35, Richard wrote:
On 07/12/2019 12:46, Bill Wright wrote:
On 07/12/2019 09:43, wrote:
On Saturday, 7 December 2019 02:58:50 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm old enough to remember Window Tax.

But you wuz too poor to 'ave windows :-)

Owain

We had the windows but not the glass.

Bill

Better than having the glass and no windows.

No because you could sell the glass and buy shoes.

Corbyns new window tax is really going to hurt some people.

Nope, because there is no chance that he will be the govt.

unfortunately,

there is

Dont believe it.

The issue is the possibility of tactical voting by some to avoid letting
Boris become PM.

There is a strong campaign for that, and there is some evidence that it is
working.

All it takes is for a few hundred people in a few tens of constituencies to
switch their vote tactically and Corbyn gets to be PM as head of a
multi-party coalition .

Now, were this just a case of people arguing "Boris is a horrible person, he
isn't fit to be PM, bla bla bla" then it doesn't have a hope of working,
because for the group of people who are being asked to switch their vote,
the alternate to Boris - getting Corbyn as PM, is worse.

But it isn't that simple. There are millions of people in the county who
are so rabidly against Brexit that, for them, there is no alternative that
is worse than this. So a switch to voting tactically against Boris to avoid
it is not an impossibility.

And FTAOD, such tactical voting does not show up in polling as the sample
size is too small

might be a very small chance, but there's still a chance

Nope, none, you watch. Bet Labour does very badly

I hope you are right

it is still far from certain

tim