Gunner

Default OT Work pants

On 16 May 2005 14:15:39 GMT, Ignoramus21310
wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

Swiss and Italian mil-surp pants are actually much tougher. You can
find them at Majors Surplus and so forth on line.

Then..,there is Carhartt.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
MikeMandaville

Recently, I remarked that I was repairing some Levis which had a hole
in the seat, by using some silicone adhesive, and a six-pound anvil for
a glue press. Well, I am happy to report that the patch job has gone
through the first wash, and is holding up just fine. I don't have a
proper lounge chair, so when I slouch down at my computer, I put my
hips on a speaker box. I guess that's how it happens. I have two
other pairs which are in the same condition, and, at forty dollars a
pair, I guess I will be saving myself more than a hundred dollars here.

Mike Mandaville
Austin, Texas
I am building a six-inch cupola furnace, for which I will be making
charcoal briquettes

Lawrence L'Hote

"MikeMandaville" wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently, I remarked that I was repairing some Levis which had a hol
other pairs which are in the same condition, and, at forty dollars a
pair, I guess I will be saving myself more than a hundred dollars here.

IMHO Levis are overpriced and, with their stone-washed process, don't last.
I now buy Key jeans....no stone washed crap and they are better than Levis
or those cowboy Wranglers.. You need to buy the next size up because they
shrink like the 'original' Levis did back when they were affordable. With
my big butt and long legs I would have to pay $50 or so for Levis... Key
jeans are made in central and south America probably the same factory as
Levi's...
Here is one place you used to be able to get them. Right now their site
only shows carpenter jeans...

http://www.bootcity.net/key/4874.48%20Jeans%20.htm

Larry

--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

carl mciver

I recently picked up a pair of Key brand coveralls at a local safety
supplier. I wanted some coveralls that were really sturdy, all cotton so I
can weld with them on, and not have to wash 'em three times a week. I
didn't pay a whole lot, got what I wanted, and I like 'em, which is hard for
someone with my build to say. The coveralls were the f'in' ugly things that
plaint maintenance guys always wear, and now I know why. At any rate, I
found another place that sells lots of Key brand jeans, which looked really
good and sturdy. Used to wear Levi's, but the price pegged and the quality
sunk, so next time I go looking for jeans I'm going to try those on (NFI,
thank you very much!) http://keyindustriesinc.com/

"Ignoramus21310" wrote in message
| For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
| doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
| accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
| looking ugly.
|
| Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.
|
| Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

John Hall

My question is on behalf of my wife who despairs of our son ( the welder)
ever having clean clothers again. What is it about synthetics and welding
that makes them need to be washed more often? I can understand the melting
risk but what else goes on?

John

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
I recently picked up a pair of Key brand coveralls at a local safety
supplier. I wanted some coveralls that were really sturdy, all cotton so
can weld with them on, and not have to wash 'em three times a week. I
didn't pay a whole lot, got what I wanted, and I like 'em, which is hard
for
someone with my build to say. The coveralls were the f'in' ugly things
that
plaint maintenance guys always wear, and now I know why. At any rate, I
found another place that sells lots of Key brand jeans, which looked
really
good and sturdy. Used to wear Levi's, but the price pegged and the
quality
sunk, so next time I go looking for jeans I'm going to try those on (NFI,
thank you very much!) http://keyindustriesinc.com/

"Ignoramus21310" wrote in message
| For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
| doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
| accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
| looking ugly.
|
| Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.
|
| Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

Sven

wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

Swiss and Italian mil-surp pants are actually much tougher. You can
find them at Majors Surplus and so forth on line.

Then..,there is Carhartt.

Gunner

Carhartt jeans and coats seem to be overpriced and made from material that
self destructs as soon as they get a little hole in them. I have been buying
Dickies coats and insulated coveralls and Levi jeans,( the old dark blue
unwashed ones for $27.00)
Steve

carl mciver

"Ignoramus21310" wrote in message
SNIP

| Thanks. I am not looking for coveralls, and their pants do not have
| enough pockets.

I figured as much, but like other posters, Key is a brand worth looking
into for both durability and price. The pockets on these things are plenty
big and hold lots of stuff. I usually realize what I left in 'em when I
throw them over my chair in the garage.... Then I have to chase stuff under
the car I've got crowded around with more junk.

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

When all else fails: Kirkland Signature blue denim jeans, $12 a
pair and they wear better than most. Costco rules. ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
jk

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

pair and they wear better than most. Costco rules. ;-)

Yeah, the cost co "rules" are, the larger the size, the fewer they
ship to each store, and nothing over 2x.

jk

Gunner

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:44:17 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
wrote:

IMHO Levis are overpriced and, with their stone-washed process, don't last.
I now buy Key jeans....no stone washed crap and they are better than Levis
or those cowboy Wranglers.. You need to buy the next size up because they
shrink like the 'original' Levis did back when they were affordable. With
my big butt and long legs I would have to pay $50 or so for Levis... Key
jeans are made in central and south America probably the same factory as
Levi's...
Here is one place you used to be able to get them. Right now their site
only shows carpenter jeans...

http://www.bootcity.net/key/4874.48%20Jeans%20.htm

Larry

I buy my "cowboy cut", "slim fit", Wranglers from the local feed and
grain store for $19,95 a pair

Sounds like yall are shopping in one of those Saturday Nite Cowboy
Botiques.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Gunner

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:40:37 -0500, "Sven" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

Swiss and Italian mil-surp pants are actually much tougher. You can
find them at Majors Surplus and so forth on line.

Then..,there is Carhartt.

Gunner

Carhartt jeans and coats seem to be overpriced and made from material that
self destructs as soon as they get a little hole in them. I have been buying
Dickies coats and insulated coveralls and Levi jeans,( the old dark blue
unwashed ones for $27.00)
Steve

Dickies are very good too. But Ive never had Carhartts go bad. Ive
worn them out though..but it takes some doing.

I wear bib overalls a lot. Oshcosh(sp?) are good also.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:34:34 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

wrote:

IMHO Levis are overpriced and, with their stone-washed process, don't last.
I now buy Key jeans....no stone washed crap and they are better than Levis
or those cowboy Wranglers.. You need to buy the next size up because they
shrink like the 'original' Levis did back when they were affordable. With
my big butt and long legs I would have to pay $50 or so for Levis... Key
jeans are made in central and south America probably the same factory as
Levi's...
Here is one place you used to be able to get them. Right now their site
only shows carpenter jeans...

http://www.bootcity.net/key/4874.48%20Jeans%20.htm

Larry

I buy my "cowboy cut", "slim fit", Wranglers from the local feed and
grain store for $19,95 a pair

Boot-cut Rustler jeans: $10 at Wally World or $8 on sale at BiMart.
Good fit, good Levi-color blues, metal zippers, riveted pockets.
Cain't beat 'em, y'hear?

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:29:01 -0700, jk wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

pair and they wear better than most. Costco rules. ;-)

Yeah, the cost co "rules" are, the larger the size, the fewer they
ship to each store, and nothing over 2x.

I'm 40X32. It might take you a little digging for 40's or 42's, but
they stock enough large sizes - they always seem to have 44 jeans
left, though. They sell what moves, most of their customers don't
need to shop with Omar The Tentmaker.

If wearing 44's or 2X shirts is a faded and distant memory, that's a
less-than-subtle hint to "Put Down The Fork, and back slowly away from
the table..." ;-P Then go walk around the block a few times.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

In my neck of the woods...the ladies have bumper stickers that read..

"Wrangler Butts drive me nuts!"... hence the popularity of Wrangler
jeans with men in the know. G

Gunner

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Jon Danniken

"Gunner" wrote:
"Lawrence L'Hote" wrote:

[...]

I get the relaxed fit Wranglers at China*Mart for about $15.00 a pair.
Easier to move around in, at least for me.

Jon

jk

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

I'm 40X32. It might take you a little digging for 40's or 42's, but
they stock enough large sizes - they always seem to have 44 jeans
left, though. They sell what moves, most of their customers don't
need to shop with Omar The Tentmaker.

If wearing 44's or 2X shirts is a faded and distant memory, that's a
less-than-subtle hint to "Put Down The Fork, and back slowly away from
the table..." ;-P Then go walk around the block a few times.

-- Bruce --

What a set of rude assumptions.
What movement away from the table is going to make my arms shrink in
length?

jk
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Tue,
17 May 2005 09:36:55 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:40:37 -0500, "Sven" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Oshkosh,by gosh! (I've helped enough kids in and out to remember.)

The funny story is the Christmas my step mom got my Dad a pair of
overalls for Christmas, they were all the rage. It was the thought which
counted, I think he wore them once. But he remembers when denim was for
work, farm work specifically, and overalls were for po' folk. Grew up in
the Great Depression. And the stigma had stuck with him.
Of course, for him, "casual business" was a cardigan sweater and tie.

I'm BDUs for working, and hanging out, jeans are for "casual."
(anything which doesn't require a tie. Of course, I remember when in
Hawaii "formal" mean "wear shoes."

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"If once a man indulges himself in Murder, very soon he comes
carl mciver

"Ignoramus5574" wrote in message
SNIP|

| I started dieting when I was wearing 38x32 pants and they started
| becoming tight.
|
| Now I wear 32x32 pants, it's been about 20 months.
|
| http://igor.chudov.com/weightloss/

Mmmm... What a hunk of a man you are now!

Congratulations! I'm just a tad overweight and I dread that point in my
life where I'm gonna have to start doing something about it!

Karl Vorwerk

Very impressive.
Karl

"Ignoramus5574" wrote in message
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

pair and they wear better than most. Costco rules. ;-)

Yeah, the cost co "rules" are, the larger the size, the fewer they
ship to each store, and nothing over 2x.

I'm 40X32. It might take you a little digging for 40's or 42's, but
they stock enough large sizes - they always seem to have 44 jeans
left, though. They sell what moves, most of their customers don't
need to shop with Omar The Tentmaker.

If wearing 44's or 2X shirts is a faded and distant memory, that's a
less-than-subtle hint to "Put Down The Fork, and back slowly away from
the table..." ;-P Then go walk around the block a few times.

I started dieting when I was wearing 38x32 pants and they started
becoming tight.

Now I wear 32x32 pants, it's been about 20 months.

http://igor.chudov.com/weightloss/

John Husvar

In article ,
jk wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

I'm 40X32. It might take you a little digging for 40's or 42's, but
they stock enough large sizes - they always seem to have 44 jeans
left, though. They sell what moves, most of their customers don't
need to shop with Omar The Tentmaker.

If wearing 44's or 2X shirts is a faded and distant memory, that's a
less-than-subtle hint to "Put Down The Fork, and back slowly away from
the table..." ;-P Then go walk around the block a few times.

-- Bruce --

What a set of rude assumptions.
What movement away from the table is going to make my arms shrink in
length?

jk

Have a different problem, arm girth. I'm a semi-pro blacksmith and
frequent wheelchair rider, (MS & PPS) so have decently developed arms
and chest as a result.

If I have a few weeks of steady smithing, by the end I can hardly fit my
upper arms through the sleeves of shirts that usually fit and they get
tight across the chest. I know: We should all have such problems!

But seriously, it's a damn nuisance having to have two distinct sizes of
shirts because my normal sizes fit well when I'm not hammering
regularly. The larger sizes just don't fit as well when I am working.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.

Is a puzzlement.
John Husvar

In article ,
Ignoramus22906 wrote:

n I am working.

Maybe I should get into blacksmithing...

Or buy a wheelchair. Or both.
B.B.

In article ,
Ignoramus21310 wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

I find that the older slacks that show up at Goodwill and other
thrift stores last a damn long time. They usually bite it when I snag
them on something and tear a chunk loose. The pair I've been wearing to
work for the last few weeks survived a year of tech school and tons of
yard work getting washed weekly and is just now starting to fray.
Got 'em for $4 too.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
John

Ignoramus5574 wrote:

snipped

I started dieting when I was wearing 38x32 pants and they started
becoming tight.

Now I wear 32x32 pants, it's been about 20 months.

http://igor.chudov.com/weightloss/

Great job! Congratulations! I know just how you feel, I've been
exercising and watching my weight for about 5 years now, after my son
bought me a bicycle. I am at the same weight you are 173 lb. and it's
all (most anyway) due to the exercise. I could never lose much weight
by dieting alone. If I did, it wouldn't stay off. Now I ride about 100
-150 miles a week average, 2 nights after work is the toughest, since I
work 10 hour days. I've done many centurys (100 mile rides) and plan to
do a one-day ride in July of 207 miles (Seattle to Portland). If I can
do it most of you guys can since I'm probably older by 10 to 20 years
than most of the group.

If anyone starts a rigid exercise program, the first several months
won't be fun, but if you stay with it, it becomes much more enjoyable as
you get into shape. Try and do it with a partner for motivation. My
son and I ride together all the time. I even got my wife into it by
buying a tandem that we ride as a team.

You web site was great, I'd like to do that but I'm an old guy, not
young and good looking like you g.

John

John

Ignoramus22906 wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:25:10 -0700, John wrote:

Ignoramus5574 wrote:

I started dieting when I was wearing 38x32 pants and they started
becoming tight.

Now I wear 32x32 pants, it's been about 20 months.

http://igor.chudov.com/weightloss/

Great job! Congratulations!

Thank you!

I know just how you feel, I've been exercising and watching my
weight for about 5 years now, after my son bought me a bicycle. I
am at the same weight you are 173 lb. and it's all (most anyway) due
to the exercise. I could never lose much weight by dieting alone.
If I did, it wouldn't stay off. Now I ride about 100 -150 miles a
week average, 2 nights after work is the toughest, since I work 10
hour days. I've done many centurys (100 mile rides) and plan to do
a one-day ride in July of 207 miles (Seattle to Portland). If I can
do it most of you guys can since I'm probably older by 10 to 20
years than most of the group.

I am extremely impressed and I am also very happy for you. For me,
still, being slim makes every day to be like a little celebration.

If anyone starts a rigid exercise program, the first several months
won't be fun, but if you stay with it, it becomes much more
enjoyable as you get into shape. Try and do it with a partner for
motivation. My son and I ride together all the time. I even got my
wife into it by buying a tandem that we ride as a team.

I am, personally, addicted to running. If I do not run for a week or
so, I become cranky and feel rather bad. Please note that running did
not prevent me from becoming obese, I have been a jogger since the age
of 12. My mom made me run to better handle my asthma.

You web site was great, I'd like to do that but I'm an old guy, not
young and good looking like you g.

I do not think that I am particularly good looking... my bald spot was
not visible on the pictures.

I used to run, off and on, ever since I got out of the military, back in
the sixtys. But, about nine years ago I hurt my foot, nerve damage that
they never could fix, so the bike riding worked really good for me. I
really enjoyed the running, but the only problem with running or walking
is that you are always working. On a bike you have to work going up a
hill, but you can rest while coasting down the other side. I agree
100% about not riding (running) for any length of time. I'm in the
northwest where it rains occasionally and I've learned to just ride in
the rain. Otherwise I'd be getting more grumpy than I already am.

Here's my feeble attempt at a web site, www.blakesonbikes.com that'll
show the kind of bikes we ride. I had a friend help me with the site
and it has just arrived at a point where I'm willing to show it, but it
still needs loads of work. Which I'll be doing very slowly....can't let
it get in the way of my riding g!

John

madhat

Anyone have any ideas for a low-impact exercise program? The nearest thing
we have to a gym in the area is 80 mi from here.

I started a on a sort of modified diet Monday last week. I started at 400
and this morning was 388. I think I could do better if I could get some
exercise into the program.

My problem is bad back, bad right leg, and chronic pain from a work injury.
I was about 270 , 8 1/2 years ago before I became pretty much disabled and
could not get my usual exercise. I used to walk/jog 6mi a day and work the
weight machine a couple of times a week. Now I'm pretty much out of that.
It's the sh_ts living in mountains and Oregon and not being able to go
hunting and fishing anymore.

Every day I go try and work around the place or out in my shop, I'm laid up
for a day or two. I've been working on my 1/3 mi of fence for a month. I
might mention I am 6'6 so pretty much no matter what I'm doing its a bend or
stoop situation.

Oh crap, I'm starting to sound like a whiner.

Any way if anyone knows any good lo-impact, not to physical exercise for a
crippled up old fat guy, feel free to contribute.

Thanks,
madhat

--
Some people will tell you that slow is good...and it may be, on some
days...but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed

Hunter S. Thompson

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:01:53 GMT, the inscrutable "John Hall"
spake:

My question is on behalf of my wife who despairs of our son ( the welder)
ever having clean clothers again. What is it about synthetics and welding
that makes them need to be washed more often? I can understand the melting
risk but what else goes on?

Synthetics pick up and retain stains and odors much more quickly
and tenaciously.

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
Gunner

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:47:20 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus21310 wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

I find that the older slacks that show up at Goodwill and other
thrift stores last a damn long time. They usually bite it when I snag
them on something and tear a chunk loose. The pair I've been wearing to
work for the last few weeks survived a year of tech school and tons of
yard work getting washed weekly and is just now starting to fray.
Got 'em for $4 too.

I buy most of my clothing at second hand stores. Bib overalls for $6,
jeans for $5, shirts for $2..that short of thing.

Just remember when purchasing clothing to stay away from the
synthetics for working around hot stuff and fire. Many of the
polyester blended stuff will melt and stick to your skin. Best to stay
with cottons and wools.

Is there any inexpensive fireproofing chemicals that can be applied to
a pair of pants for example..that wont give you cancer or make your
pecker fall off?

Gunner, with many shirts and jeans with weld burns in them

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:48:37 -0700, "madhat"
wrote:

[...]

Bicycle. It will also allow you to work out the right leg. A good
old fashion cruiser style Schwin or a large Mountain bike that allows
a more erect position to save on back issues

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On 18 May 2005 20:34:22 GMT, Ignoramus22906
wrote:

You web site was great, I'd like to do that but I'm an old guy, not
young and good looking like you g.

I do not think that I am particularly good looking... my bald spot was
not visible on the pictures.

Thats what was causing the light glare!

Not as bad as mine though..sigh

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

B.B.

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

I find that the older slacks that show up at Goodwill and other
thrift stores last a damn long time. They usually bite it when I snag
them on something and tear a chunk loose. The pair I've been wearing to
work for the last few weeks survived a year of tech school and tons of
yard work getting washed weekly and is just now starting to fray.
Got 'em for $4 too.

I buy most of my clothing at second hand stores. Bib overalls for $6,
jeans for $5, shirts for $2..that short of thing.

Just remember when purchasing clothing to stay away from the
synthetics for working around hot stuff and fire. Many of the
polyester blended stuff will melt and stick to your skin. Best to stay
with cottons and wools.

Yes, I learned that the hard way. Luckily it was a little blob. But
around here at least synthetics seem to be the exception at the thrift
stores.
There's one nice little ratty store downtown that sells used work
clothes. Some still even have the little Aramark tags on 'em. Shirts
for $1 each, jeans three for $5. Good, tough clothes; all cotton; dirt
cheap. They had a heap of ripped-off name tags in the corner. I found
one with my name from an old job!

Is there any inexpensive fireproofing chemicals that can be applied to
a pair of pants for example..that wont give you cancer or make your
pecker fall off?

Nope. Fire-proofing and depeckerfication go hand-in-hand. Unless
you count water, but that'll have to be reapplied often. (:

Gunner, with many shirts and jeans with weld burns in them

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Cydrome Leader

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:40:37 -0500, "Sven" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

For the last year, I wore some military surplus pants when I was
doinbg various work. They were nice because they are very
accommodating, have big pockets, and also can get quite dirty without
looking ugly.

Unfortunately, they are not that strong and wear easily.

Any suggestions for similar pants made from stronger material?

Swiss and Italian mil-surp pants are actually much tougher. You can
find them at Majors Surplus and so forth on line.

Then..,there is Carhartt.

Gunner

Carhartt jeans and coats seem to be overpriced and made from material that
self destructs as soon as they get a little hole in them. I have been buying
Dickies coats and insulated coveralls and Levi jeans,( the old dark blue
unwashed ones for $27.00)
Steve

The stiching has been getting junkier of the past few years and I suspect my carhartt pants wear faster than the used to. I've had some belt loops rip out and I don't even wear a belt on a few pairs made in the last two years.

Dickies are very good too. But Ive never had Carhartts go bad. Ive
worn them out though..but it takes some doing.

Dickies insulated pants are warm but have a really stange cut that causes plumber ass. Their regular carpenter jeans seem ok.

I wear bib overalls a lot. Oshcosh(sp?) are good also.

Their stuff is no longer work wear.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 19 May 2005 04:50:45 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Is there any inexpensive fireproofing chemicals that can be applied to
a pair of pants for example..that wont give you cancer or make your
pecker fall off?

Starch. If you starch your shirts and pants then they're much less
likely to have holes burned in them.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

John

madhat wrote:

[...]

Walking is good, but it can be hard on some of the joints when you have
some weight on them, especially in the hills. Granted, I'm prejudiced,
but cycling is a great way for low impact exercise. You should be able
to get a bike that'll hold your weight. My first suggestion would be a
mountain bike, since they have much lower gearing than the road bikes,
along with suspension forks for comfort. Any local bike shop will have
ideas also. Here's a good group that'll be happy to help,
rec.bicycles.tech. This subject has come up before with people heavier
than you are. Another possibility is a recumbent cycle machine in your
house. I have had one for 8 years, but don't use it anymore since I
enjoy riding outside so much. If you do consider doing it indoors,
don't even consider it, I repete, don't even consider it, unless you
have at least a TV or better, a VCR, TIVO or some means to keep
entertained while you're exercising. I will absolutely guarantee that
you will fall off the wagon if you don't have a fool-proof method of
passing the time it takes to get good, calorie burning time in.
Exercising inside is BORING! It works, but you must have some sort of
entertainment to make the time pass. Any exercise program MUST fit into
your normal daily pattern. If it doesn't, it'll invariably fail. If
you can stick with a program long enough to see some weight loss or
other benefits, you'll be hooked. Before you know it you'll get some
unsolicited comments along the lines of "you look like you've lost some
weight", and that'll cement it! You'll be hooked.

If you try walking, then start very slowly and on a regular schedule.
Be patient and keep at it, increasing distance slowly as it feels
comfortable.

Good luck, and don't forget it's the best thing you can do for yourself.
John
P.S. If you ride outside, PLEASE use a helmet. I know what it can do
for you when you dump the bike. That /will/ happen and since your head
will be the main item to slam into the road, the helmet will work. I
know that from more than one experience.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:48:37 -0700, the inscrutable "madhat"
spake:

Anyone have any ideas for a low-impact exercise program? The nearest thing
we have to a gym in the area is 80 mi from here.

There are several forms of yoga which will help you stay in better
shape and won't increase your injuries. The stretching and range of
movement look simple but they burn calories and get you back in shape
quickly. Yoga can be done alone or with friends/family for structure
and support.

I started a on a sort of modified diet Monday last week. I started at 400
and this morning was 388. I think I could do better if I could get some
exercise into the program.

Grab all the yoga books from your local library and see which of the
stretches and exercises you can do in your physical condition. Combine
styles to come up with your own version of a set or 3, then do them
whenever you can.

I had upper back problems and can't get both feet behind my neck at
the same time any more g, but I'm still limber 30 years later after
spending several years doing Hatha yoga. (Lillias on PBS) You have
reminded me to start it up again myself. Thanks!

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
Gunner

wrote:

Is there any inexpensive fireproofing chemicals that can be applied to
a pair of pants for example..that wont give you cancer or make your
pecker fall off?

Starch. If you starch your shirts and pants then they're much less
likely to have holes burned in them.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Really? No kidding?

Noted for next washday.

Gunner, wondering how a starched T-shirt is gonna feel.....

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I would be a little afraid to ride a bicycle at 388 lbs...

Hummmm...that is an issue isnt it?

Seems like walking is your best bet at this point, after a good chat
with any doctor specializing in the treatment of morbid obesity.
(no offense meant.)

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:00:31 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Then there is Tai Chi...which is very very good and so simple that
geriatrics can do it.

Gunner

Plagiarism Kirk Woodturning 118 March 9th 05 12:04 PM
How to find a good contractor? Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 March 1st 05 05:06 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:50 PM
Garage Door Work question Rich Greenberg Home Ownership 0 August 6th 03 01:12 AM