John

madhat wrote:

Anyone have any ideas for a low-impact exercise program? The nearest thing
we have to a gym in the area is 80 mi from here.

I started a on a sort of modified diet Monday last week. I started at 400
and this morning was 388. I think I could do better if I could get some
exercise into the program.

My problem is bad back, bad right leg, and chronic pain from a work injury.
I was about 270 , 8 1/2 years ago before I became pretty much disabled and
could not get my usual exercise. I used to walk/jog 6mi a day and work the
weight machine a couple of times a week. Now I'm pretty much out of that.
It's the sh_ts living in mountains and Oregon and not being able to go
hunting and fishing anymore.

Every day I go try and work around the place or out in my shop, I'm laid up
for a day or two. I've been working on my 1/3 mi of fence for a month. I
might mention I am 6'6 so pretty much no matter what I'm doing its a bend or
stoop situation.

Oh crap, I'm starting to sound like a whiner.

Any way if anyone knows any good lo-impact, not to physical exercise for a
crippled up old fat guy, feel free to contribute.

Thanks,
madhat

Walking is good, but it can be hard on some of the joints when you have
some weight on them, especially in the hills. Granted, I'm prejudiced,
but cycling is a great way for low impact exercise. You should be able
to get a bike that'll hold your weight. My first suggestion would be a
mountain bike, since they have much lower gearing than the road bikes,
along with suspension forks for comfort. Any local bike shop will have
ideas also. Here's a good group that'll be happy to help,
rec.bicycles.tech. This subject has come up before with people heavier
than you are. Another possibility is a recumbent cycle machine in your
house. I have had one for 8 years, but don't use it anymore since I
enjoy riding outside so much. If you do consider doing it indoors,
don't even consider it, I repete, don't even consider it, unless you
have at least a TV or better, a VCR, TIVO or some means to keep
entertained while you're exercising. I will absolutely guarantee that
you will fall off the wagon if you don't have a fool-proof method of
passing the time it takes to get good, calorie burning time in.
Exercising inside is BORING! It works, but you must have some sort of
entertainment to make the time pass. Any exercise program MUST fit into
your normal daily pattern. If it doesn't, it'll invariably fail. If
you can stick with a program long enough to see some weight loss or
other benefits, you'll be hooked. Before you know it you'll get some
unsolicited comments along the lines of "you look like you've lost some
weight", and that'll cement it! You'll be hooked.

If you try walking, then start very slowly and on a regular schedule.
Be patient and keep at it, increasing distance slowly as it feels
comfortable.

Good luck, and don't forget it's the best thing you can do for yourself.
John
P.S. If you ride outside, PLEASE use a helmet. I know what it can do
for you when you dump the bike. That /will/ happen and since your head
will be the main item to slam into the road, the helmet will work. I
know that from more than one experience.