Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer problem solved

On 05/01/2017 04:41 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news 2017 20:43:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Oh, I see. You have a usenet psychiatric degree as well?

I have a degree in Psychology FWIW

So, you have a degree in psychology, and think without meeting me in
person you can provide an accurate diagnosis do you? Very amusing.

It does not take a degree however to see that you seem to be a bit
insecure.

ROFL. See above.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses

I don't disagree with you.

why do you have to always try to prove your worthiness?

I wasn't trying to prove any such thing. I simply corrected some poor
assumptions you made concerning me. You assumed, incorrectly, that I
had no experience with various battery types. And that I knew nothing
about old radios. You were wrong. I realize that's a hard pill for
you to swallow, but, that's just how it is.

Actually I should not have been too surprised with your knowledge of
vacuum tube specifics...a lot of folks younger than I am have taken an
interest in the old technology, especially audiophiles who claim tube
amplifiers are best. In truth I cannot hear the difference but at my
age, my hearing is hardly as good as it used to be.

That said, even though my high range is probably only about 4k, that
should be sufficient. 1k I think should be plenty.

Who on Usenet are you trying to impress?

I'm not trying to impress anyone.

No need to answer , it's not important.

If you don't like getting your ass kicked, why did you step into the
ring? That's always a risk you take when you do that. No need to
answer, it's not important.

I have lost track of things but being found wrong for one thing or the
other on Usenet does not quite equate as getting one's ass kicked.

If I had not mentioned it already I'm a veteran of the Chicago Poetry
slam scene and I know what's it's like to get one's ass kicked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 02:51 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 15:27:11 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

snip

Yes, it was nothing critical, just the need to fool with something
for the heck of it. Even if I would have repaired the mobo,
withing having replaced all the caps I never would have trusted
it.

There's ways, you know, using software to do a 'burn in' test on the
board to determine if it's stable.

With Win7, by the time I installed the OS, the updates and the software
the machine usually got at least 16 hours of use.

I'd start the update process before going to bed and let it run all night.

I am aware of stress testing but have only had one mobo die within a
month after returning it to a customer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 02:51 PM, philo wrote:
He told me that at one time HP made equipment that no one else could
make....but now they make equipment no one else wants to bother with.

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration of both ends but like I said before
it's a different world

HP was the gold standard for instrumentation -- then came Carly. In all
fairness she inherited a mess.

I had one client that was big on Commodore PET computers. That would
seem to be an odd choice but Commodore used the GPIB, also known as the
HPIB or IEEE-488, to communicate with its peripherals. That meant it was
also able to talk to HP devices and it was one hell of a lot cheaper
than the HP9800 series. Something like $1000 versus $10000 iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 12:20 PM, Muggles wrote:
My son is the one in
the family who can do just about anything hardware with servers and
computers. I could probably learn hardware if I took a course, but,
never had the interest, yet.

If you ever get the urge get something like an Arduino. That gets you
real close to the hardware.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 01:51 PM, Diesel wrote:
ROFL. You still write horse****, after all this time. Computers did
exist, in peoples homes, long before what you know as a 'pc' did.

In the late '70s people who knew what I did for a living would ask me
about getting a 'home computer' and what they could do with it. "Beats
the **** out of me" was my answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 8:43 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/01/2017 12:20 PM, Muggles wrote:
My son is the one in
the family who can do just about anything hardware with servers and
computers. I could probably learn hardware if I took a course, but,
never had the interest, yet.

If you ever get the urge get something like an Arduino. That gets you
real close to the hardware.

I'll have to look up what that is. A long time ago a family friend
taught me how to rebuild small motor. It wasn't hard to learn, but I'm
a visual learner, so I had to watch him work with the parts first, put
it together, then take it apart again. He explained what he was doing
and what each part was for and how it functioned. So, then it was my
turn to re-build it, and I could do it without any problems. I
remembered how to do that for quite a number of years, but then forgot
how because I never needed to re-build a motor.

It might be fun to learn computer hardware, and how to build one. Maybe
some day I'll find someone who doesn't mind teaching me hands-on.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 8:46 PM, rbowman wrote:

In the late '70s people who knew what I did for a living would ask me
about getting a 'home computer' and what they could do with it. "Beats
the **** out of me" was my answer.

I really didn't hear much about home PC's until the late '70's/early
80's, and thought they were just all talk, initially.

Funny, how 20 years +/- can change so much ... technology is just
amazing, now.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 01:51 PM, Diesel wrote:
Uncle Monster
Mon, 01
May 2017 15:05:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

The time for someone to get into coding is when they are kids. The
leaders of the USSR knew that which is why Bulgaria was training
computer programmers when they were children. Do you remember
Bulgarian hackers?

Yes, I do. And you're right. The best time to get into coding is
when you're a kiddo. And, stick with it, of course.

The only coding when I was a kid involved a ring I got from a box of
cereal. My first exposure to FORTRAN IV on a 360/30 impressed me so much
that I didn't do any coding until microprocessors came out and I snuck
in the backdoor from TTL design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 1:58 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I'm a survivor and I've great people helping me. Since I can't
get out and work anymore, I must find things to take up my time.
Hey I know! I could learn how to code. I could get the educational
material used to teach little kids how to code. I could be an evil
hacker in no time. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

Hey, one summer quite a long time ago, I thought I'd see if learning a
programming language was something I might enjoy. So, I studied VB, and
then VB.net and learned to create desktop apps. I found out that I
could learn it and even use it, but I really didn't like it. But, what
little I did learn helped me understand a bit more about reading other
code. Just the upgrade between VB to VB.net was a big difference in how
much easier the latter was to the former. I don't know. Maybe these
days it might be more fun to learn and play with, and these days there
are a zillion different programming languages out there. It's kind of
overwhelming to pick one!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 9:00 PM, rbowman wrote:

The only coding when I was a kid involved a ring I got from a box of
cereal. My first exposure to FORTRAN IV on a 360/30 impressed me so much
that I didn't do any coding until microprocessors came out and I snuck
in the backdoor from TTL design.

Even the idea of the internet wasn't something I'd heard anything about
until the late 70's. Coding? What's coding? LOL No one knew how to do
it, let alone teach someone else how to do it? Webpages? Graphics? There
were no degree for those sort of things. You could buy books on it,
though! I liked those books.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 7:09:34 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 5/1/2017 4:41 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 20:51:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

But in a forklift truck, engineered into the design of the truck
is the counterweight of the battery.

I'm aware of the counterweight needs and how the batteries factor
into it yes. You can stop trying to talk down to me anytime you'd
like. I'll just continue handing you your ass for your trouble...

I'm 5' 6" so there are few people I talk down to.

Maybe you are taking what I say a bit too seriously.

I used to be 6 feet tall, now in my wheelchair, I'm 4 feet 3 inches tall and I'm like a little kid with long arms. My second childhood came too early but lady friends have told me I never grew up to start with. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Little Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 08:24 PM, Muggles wrote:
Even the idea of the internet wasn't something I'd heard anything about
until the late 70's. Coding? What's coding? LOL No one knew how to do
it, let alone teach someone else how to do it? Webpages? Graphics? There
were no degree for those sort of things.

The company is replying to a request for proposal and apparently there
was some question about the qualifications of the staff. The PM asked me
what my degree was in. i think she was disappointed it wasn't Computer
Science, but in '64 RPI didn't even have a CS department. Purdue was the
first in '62 but it took a while for it to become a separate discipline.

Even today while there are CS degrees the recent graduates I've
interviewed were taught yesterday's technology. I'm more interested if
they know how to use Stack Exchange, Git Hub, and google to figure out
what we're doing today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 08:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
Hey, one summer quite a long time ago, I thought I'd see if learning a
programming language was something I might enjoy. So, I studied VB, and
then VB.net and learned to create desktop apps. I found out that I
could learn it and even use it, but I really didn't like it.

Call me a sexist but most women don't. That's not to say I haven't known
excellent women programmers but there's a personality profile involved.
It helps if you're slightly OCD or autistic

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman
Tue, 02 May 2017 05:48:48 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/01/2017 08:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
Hey, one summer quite a long time ago, I thought I'd see if
learning a programming language was something I might enjoy. So,
I studied VB, and then VB.net and learned to create desktop apps.
I found out that I could learn it and even use it, but I really
didn't like it.

Call me a sexist but most women don't. That's not to say I haven't
known excellent women programmers but there's a personality
profile involved. It helps if you're slightly OCD or autistic

I don't know if I'd fully agree with you on that or not. Gigabyte was a
decent female coder, back in the day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 01:04:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

With Win7, by the time I installed the OS, the updates and the
software the machine usually got at least 16 hours of use.

That's not what I meant, but, okay...

I'd start the update process before going to bed and let it run
all night.

Again, that's not what I meant by burn in test...

I am aware of stress testing but have only had one mobo die within
a month after returning it to a customer.

aware as in actually ran burn in tests, or, just aware as in you know
such software exists specifically for the purpose?

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 00:47:22 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I wasn't trying to prove any such thing. I simply corrected some
poor assumptions you made concerning me. You assumed,
incorrectly, that I had no experience with various battery types.
And that I knew nothing about old radios. You were wrong. I
realize that's a hard pill for you to swallow, but, that's just
how it is.

Actually I should not have been too surprised with your knowledge
of vacuum tube specifics...a lot of folks younger than I am have
taken an interest in the old technology, especially audiophiles
who claim tube amplifiers are best. In truth I cannot hear the
difference but at my age, my hearing is hardly as good as it used
to be.

At the time, I didn't fully realize it was 'old' technology. I just
knew it wasn't 'solid state' My dad kept it for years, and, I
wanted to surprise him, by making it work again. I figured, he was
keeping it for a reason, and, it should be doing more than just
sitting there like a piece of furniture. I was ready to cut the power
to it though, as soon as it tried doing something wonky. I didn't
realize that because it wasn't solid state, it wasn't going to just
immediately make sound. I was a little kid then, you know.

The tube amps have a 'warmth' to them that is hard, if not
impossible, to duplicate with modern electronic driven ones. It's
like comparing Analog to digital, imho.

If I had not mentioned it already I'm a veteran of the Chicago
Poetry slam scene and I know what's it's like to get one's ass
kicked.

You have. We discussed this, briefly, previously. I mentioned at the
time, you could hand me my ass in such a competition, too. In case
you forgot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman
Tue, 02 May 2017 01:40:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/01/2017 02:51 PM, philo wrote:
He told me that at one time HP made equipment that no one else
could make....but now they make equipment no one else wants to
bother with.

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration of both ends but like I said
before it's a different world

HP was the gold standard for instrumentation -- then came Carly.
In all fairness she inherited a mess.

I had one client that was big on Commodore PET computers. That
would seem to be an odd choice but Commodore used the GPIB, also
known as the HPIB or IEEE-488, to communicate with its
peripherals. That meant it was also able to talk to HP devices and
it was one hell of a lot cheaper than the HP9800 series. Something
like $1000 versus $10000 iirc.

The Commodore PET was beyond it's time! Much like the Amigas of the
day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news 2017 00:09:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 5/1/2017 4:41 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 20:51:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

But in a forklift truck, engineered into the design of the truck
is the counterweight of the battery.

I'm aware of the counterweight needs and how the batteries factor
into it yes. You can stop trying to talk down to me anytime you'd
like. I'll just continue handing you your ass for your trouble...

I'm 5' 6" so there are few people I talk down to.

Maybe you are taking what I say a bit too seriously.

That's possible. I'm used to people trying to 'educate' me on various
subjects because they think that due to my age, I wouldn't know
anything about it. They don't realize, I didn't hangout with people
my own age for the most part growing up; I had little in common with
them. I wasn't into the same stuff they were.

I hungout with older people, and absorbed the knowledge they'd share
like a sponge. I've always valued knowledge above all else.

The car I previously mentioned is known as the White Zombie.

It's not the only car doing this these days, mind you, but, it was
one of the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apoeGMWF17c

It's even faster now. heh. As you obviously know tho, it's able to do
this because of the torque it generates from the first revolution. It
has no 'power curve' like a gas/diesel engine.

This is another electric racer, known as the flux capacitor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQMCgSEChgg

White Zombie, 10.4 seconds; nearly seven years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCx-LYV6KkM

Nice eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2017 6:18 AM, Diesel wrote:
[...]

Yes nice...but my racing days are long over with.

I did have a lot of fun when I was a bit younger...as a matter of fact I
owned a 1959 TR-3 for 30 years.

Mine was pretty well beat when I sold it. It would have cost me a ton of
money to completely restore it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2017 05:18 AM, Diesel wrote:
rbowman
Tue, 02 May 2017 05:48:48 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/01/2017 08:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
Hey, one summer quite a long time ago, I thought I'd see if
learning a programming language was something I might enjoy. So,
I studied VB, and then VB.net and learned to create desktop apps.
I found out that I could learn it and even use it, but I really
didn't like it.

Call me a sexist but most women don't. That's not to say I haven't
known excellent women programmers but there's a personality
profile involved. It helps if you're slightly OCD or autistic

I don't know if I'd fully agree with you on that or not. Gigabyte was a
decent female coder, back in the day.

http://moviesonhacking.com/hot-sexy-female-hackers/

Like I said, I've known a few... Back in the '80s the school age
population in Massachusetts had started to decline and the schools were
laying off teachers. Some genius had the idea of retreading them to
programmers for the expanding tech industry. Again, not that they
couldn't learn how to program but someone who chose an occupation
dealing with people, especially young people, might not make an
enthusiastic cube rat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 May 2017 21:41:39 -0000 (UTC)
Diesel wrote:

I'll just continue handing you your ass for your trouble...

the Fetcher has had his nerve hit, yet again...LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 00:09:44 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

Stand by for dustin to try and one up this....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2017 06:18 AM, Diesel wrote:

I am aware of stress testing but have only had one mobo die within
a month after returning it to a customer.

aware as in actually ran burn in tests, or, just aware as in you know
such software exists specifically for the purpose?

I am aware of "stress test" software and have used it but rarely.

I think I have "stresslinux" among my tools but for the most part use
memtest to have an idea if the RAM is any good.

On a few rare occasions I've had mobos that did not perform properly &
just put them in the recycle bin. Stuff like that is pretty rare though.

For the most part I'm dealing with discarded junk someone else gave up
on so I have no money put into this stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes, there are a lot of things I've forgotten.

My memory is so bad that when I wrote up the list of everything I
forgot, there were over 10,000 items listed

(to the best of my memory.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 May 2017 11:47:26 -0500, philo wrote:

Yes, there are a lot of things I've forgotten.

My memory is so bad that when I wrote up the list of everything I
forgot, there were over 10,000 items listed

(to the best of my memory.)

The mind is the first thing to go. I forget what the second thing is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman

GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

I understand your point. Gigabyte isn't from the states. Where she's
from, the education system is much better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2017 12:54 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2017 11:47:26 -0500, philo wrote:

Yes, there are a lot of things I've forgotten.

My memory is so bad that when I wrote up the list of everything I
forgot, there were over 10,000 items listed

(to the best of my memory.)

The mind is the first thing to go. I forget what the second thing is.

My mind was gone the day I was born and it's only getting worse from there
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2017 12:46 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

yeah These days they want you to have a degree to prove you can do
something you've done for a very long time already!

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/2/2017 12:48 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/01/2017 08:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
Hey, one summer quite a long time ago, I thought I'd see if learning a
programming language was something I might enjoy. So, I studied VB, and
then VB.net and learned to create desktop apps. I found out that I
could learn it and even use it, but I really didn't like it.

Call me a sexist but most women don't. That's not to say I haven't known
excellent women programmers but there's a personality profile involved.
It helps if you're slightly OCD or autistic

LOL I did kind of have fun creating the one app that I did. It could
have been that one language that I didn't enjoy coding, too. I ended up
going the more creative direction.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, there are a lot of things I've forgotten.

My memory is so bad that when I wrote up the list of everything
I forgot, there were over 10,000 items listed

(to the best of my memory.)

The mind is the first thing to go. I forget what the second
thing is.

My mind was gone the day I was born and it's only getting worse
from there

ROFL. Having a good memory isn't always a good thing, either. There are
some things I'd really like to forget, and, I do mean, completely
forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles
news 03 May 2017 01:40:31 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 5/2/2017 12:48 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/01/2017 08:03 PM, Muggles wrote:
Hey, one summer quite a long time ago, I thought I'd see if
learning a programming language was something I might enjoy.
So, I studied VB, and then VB.net and learned to create desktop
apps. I found out that I could learn it and even use it, but I
really didn't like it.

Call me a sexist but most women don't. That's not to say I
haven't known excellent women programmers but there's a
personality profile involved. It helps if you're slightly OCD or
autistic

LOL I did kind of have fun creating the one app that I did. It
could have been that one language that I didn't enjoy coding, too.
I ended up going the more creative direction.

ROFL. Why yes, website design is far more creative than writing actual
executable code. I'd just be repeating myself if I wrote that you were
a moron...alas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles
news 03 May 2017 01:38:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

yeah These days they want you to have a degree to prove you can
do something you've done for a very long time already!

Depending on the degree and how many you've managed to acquire, along
with certifications of various kinds, you can actually find yourself in
the most ludicrous position of all; 'grossly overqualified'

*sigh* Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As far as the degree is just to prove you can do something you've been
doing for a very long time already, yes and no. The degree semi ensures
you understanding the underlying concepts behind whatever the degree is
for, and, you've demonstrated the ability to apply them. It doesn't
'prove' you've done whatever the degree is about for a long/short
period of time, though. That's called hands on experience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/02/2017 11:05 PM, Diesel wrote:

My mind was gone the day I was born and it's only getting worse
from there

ROFL. Having a good memory isn't always a good thing, either. There are
some things I'd really like to forget, and, I do mean, completely
forget.

I drive my wife nuts because I can recall with great clarity all the way
back to age two.

I can pretty much remember anything that is of no importance

but anything pertinent, I seem to forget.