Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Computer problem solved

rbowman
Tue, 02 May 2017 01:40:15 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/01/2017 02:51 PM, philo wrote:
He told me that at one time HP made equipment that no one else
could make....but now they make equipment no one else wants to
bother with.

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration of both ends but like I said
before it's a different world

HP was the gold standard for instrumentation -- then came Carly.
In all fairness she inherited a mess.

I had one client that was big on Commodore PET computers. That
would seem to be an odd choice but Commodore used the GPIB, also
known as the HPIB or IEEE-488, to communicate with its
peripherals. That meant it was also able to talk to HP devices and
it was one hell of a lot cheaper than the HP9800 series. Something
like $1000 versus $10000 iirc.

The Commodore PET was beyond it's time! Much like the Amigas of the
day.