Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_19_] Muggles[_19_] is offline

Default Computer problem solved

On 5/2/2017 12:46 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/01/2017 08:24 PM, Muggles wrote:
Even the idea of the internet wasn't something I'd heard anything about
until the late 70's. Coding? What's coding? LOL No one knew how to do
it, let alone teach someone else how to do it? Webpages? Graphics? There
were no degree for those sort of things.

The company is replying to a request for proposal and apparently there
was some question about the qualifications of the staff. The PM asked me
what my degree was in. i think she was disappointed it wasn't Computer
Science, but in '64 RPI didn't even have a CS department. Purdue was the
first in '62 but it took a while for it to become a separate discipline.

Even today while there are CS degrees the recent graduates I've
interviewed were taught yesterday's technology. I'm more interested if
they know how to use Stack Exchange, Git Hub, and google to figure out
what we're doing today.

yeah These days they want you to have a degree to prove you can do
something you've done for a very long time already!

--
Maggie