Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer problem solved

On 04/28/2017 07:56 PM, wrote:

snip
an build a decent machine for $200.

The one I just built is a quad core CPU with 16 gigs of RAM and my total
cost was just under $200. A new Dell is about $1000 though I'm sure I
could find machines for half that price, I'd rather do it myself

I'll never buy a Dell.
I buy a brand new Acer Veriton 4630g I3 with 4GB of RAM,a 500Gb SATA
drive, DVD drive, and Windows professional with a 3 year warranty for
$423.50 CANADIAN. That's something like $310.95 US at today's exchange
rate.At that rate, wht would I ever build one? (or buy a "Dell from
Hell"?)

My experience with custom building is you often end up with one bad or
incompatible part. If you are building more than one at a time you can
determine which part is BAD pretty quickly by substituting in - but on
a one-off you are stuck. I've had too many "infant mortality" or "dead
in the box" components to make it worth the hassle. If the Acer
doesn't boot up and work perfectly it's back in the box, and back to
the warehouse for another one next day if I want to drive 1bout 25
miles, or 2 days door to door.
I've built way too many in my lifetime to bother with it (worked for
manufacturer for 5 years and either built my own or rebuilt machines
for my own use for 20 years - even when I could have expensed a new
one against my business)

I have never purchased a new computer in my life and never will.
I've built or re-built them by the thousands and really enjoy doing so.
They have mostly been running trouble free but recently one of my
refurnished units bit the dust. MOBO died so I just gave the guy another
machine. He is a small time bookstore owner and in the five years I've
been doing repairs for him have thus far collected $40.

Had he been someone who was able to pay me, I would have given him
better junk!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/29/2017 10:40 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

My '87 F150 was made in Canada.

I think my '88 Toyota Camry was made in Japan.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Well, it's a type 'M' planet, so it should at least have
Roddenberries." -- Turanga Leela, Futurama
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29/04/2017 19:45, philo wrote:

*Ten years after* I had been living in my house ...

"Wait two more days"! ;-)

Dustin isn't too hot with humor!

You are a card, Philo!

--
David B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 18:45:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

snipped but read

They were the CR2032

and one thing I know is batteries. I was a senior service engineer
at Enersys-Delaware and had 38 years in the field when I retired.
(Previously Yuasa-Exide and before that Exide)

That's nice. I'm quite familiar with Exide myself. One of their
plants *was* a little ways down the road from me. They're supposedly
going to be restarting operations soon. I used to get killer deals on
various types of batteries, because, a very close friends wife worked
there at the time. She's not doing well health wise now as a result
of that job, though. Walking around in battery acid upto your knees
tends to take it's toll on you, protective gear or not.

BD told me you were some genius with computers too, and I found out
differently after chatting with you for a bit, so You'll have to
excuse me if I question other things you may discuss at this point.

It's not that I have a personal issue of any kind with you, it's all
about my thirst for knowledge. Inaccurate knowledge is tainted, you
understand.

I know how to test a CMOS battery under load and always do so with
any that might have been sitting around for a while, but they do
have a very long shelf life.

The reason I asked was because you bought them overseas and didn't
provide any information other than sticking them in the machine and
away they went. Depending on the internals of the battery, it may
have a 'long shelf' life; but you didn't define what that means to
you, either.

It was more of a psychological need than a real one.

That, I do understand.

Example:

Ten years after I had been living in my house, I one day noticed
that the bathroom light had no globe. It was just a bare light
bulb.

I went over to the nearest h/w store but they were out of the size
I needed. The clerk told me he was getting a restock shipment in
two days and to come back.

Needless to say I went to another H/W store, no way was I going to
wait two more days!

I did something very close to this last week! I purchased another
external HD to make a near network wide backup. I've already got
various backups, but, for some reason, I wanted to make another one,
that day, on a fresh drive. I had no logical reason to do so, so
soon. Slimer isn't even giving a hint of pending hardware/software
failures, but, My mind is at ease now knowing everything on it and a
few other boxes is safely stored on yet another drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/29/2017 01:12 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/29/2017 10:40 AM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

My '87 F150 was made in Canada.

I think my '88 Toyota Camry was made in Japan.

My first Toyota Yaris was but I'm not sure about the second. I took what
I could get because I found myself needing a new ride at the same time
Japan was having a few problems including a nuclear meltdown.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/29/2017 05:34 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 18:45:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

snipped but read

They were the CR2032

and one thing I know is batteries. I was a senior service engineer
at Enersys-Delaware and had 38 years in the field when I retired.
(Previously Yuasa-Exide and before that Exide)

That's nice. I'm quite familiar with Exide myself. One of their
plants *was* a little ways down the road from me. They're supposedly
going to be restarting operations soon. I used to get killer deals on
various types of batteries, because, a very close friends wife worked
there at the time. She's not doing well health wise now as a result
of that job, though. Walking around in battery acid upto your knees
tends to take it's toll on you, protective gear or not.

Ironically after the buy outs , Exide is no longer Exide.

Enersys-Delaware bought all of the Exide technology including the
manufacturing facilities and Exide was nothing but a name owned by
/some/ of the original owners. They in turn bought out Gould National
Battery which have previously bought out Chloride Battery (which is
where I originally started)

So if you want the superior Exide technology you need to go to Enersys.

Enserys-Delaware bought out Hawker and the chargers use super-efficient
high frequency conversion . Exide chargers use the old Chloride
ferroresonant transformers. Although some mfg's make reliable
transformers the ones they use are the same old unreliable design they
have used ever since the days they were Berg-Gibson.

As to the batteries themselves both Exide and Enersys make a decent
enough flat plate battery but Enderys-Delaware is the only US mfg making
a vastly superior tubular battery.

BTW: For five years, Yuasa was the majority owner of Exide and all of us
were worried about the Japanese ownership, but nothing changed at all
other than the fact that they gave out Turkeys every Thanksgiving.
They must have thought that was a good American thing to do.

When it became Enersys-Delaware and 100% American again they did the
American thing and closed their oldest plant in Lexington and started
making the flat plate batteries in Mexico.

After some initial quality control issues were straightened out, we had
much less problem with the Mexican batteries than those built in the US.

BD told me you were some genius with computers too, and I found out
differently after chatting with you for a bit, so You'll have to
excuse me if I question other things you may discuss at this point.

It was me just being modest and I do admit to not being much of a
programmer...but as far as actually trouble-shooting and repairing I am
battery pretty near 1000. I don't know if I've ever worked on computer I
could not fix. One of my most harrowing repairs was repairing the
electronics on a failed hard drive. I found a bad solder joint on a
surface mount capacitor. I then gave the owner of the machine a lecture
on backing up.

It's not that I have a personal issue of any kind with you, it's all
about my thirst for knowledge. Inaccurate knowledge is tainted, you
understand.

I know how to test a CMOS battery under load and always do so with
any that might have been sitting around for a while, but they do
have a very long shelf life.

The reason I asked was because you bought them overseas and didn't
provide any information other than sticking them in the machine and
away they went. Depending on the internals of the battery, it may
have a 'long shelf' life; but you didn't define what that means to
you, either.

I bought them a few years ago and their OC voltage is still 3.3v and
they appear identical in every way to the batteries I've purchased locally.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.timesnews.net/Business/20...tol-operations

Enersys-Delaware bought all of the Exide technology including the
manufacturing facilities and Exide was nothing but a name owned by
/some/ of the original owners. They in turn bought out Gould
National Battery which have previously bought out Chloride Battery
(which is where I originally started)

So Enersys is responsible for the bankruptcy that closed the Bristol plant?

http://www.timesnews.net/News/2013/0...for-bankruptcy

So if you want the superior Exide technology you need to go to
Enersys.

No, thanks.

BD told me you were some genius with computers too, and I found
out differently after chatting with you for a bit, so You'll have
to excuse me if I question other things you may discuss at this
point.

It was me just being modest and I do admit to not being much of a
programmer...but as far as actually trouble-shooting and repairing
I am battery pretty near 1000.

If you can't read/write code, you're limited. Sorry, but, you are.
The computer still 0wns you, you don't 0wn it.

I realize you're quite a bit older than myself, but, my electronics
troubleshooting background isn't exactly new. I was repairing tv's,
stereos, etc, and later, vhs based vcrs; previously beta max; which
was superior, but, still lost out, long before I became a teenager.
Some kids did the dishes for allowance, I fixed neighbors equipment
for mine.

As far as your troubleshooting skills go, how often did you have to
rely on other peoples software to deal with something, and how often
did you resort to reloading Windows to fix a software issue? I'm
pretty sure I've got you beat on both counts, as in, much lower
numbers.

I don't know if I've ever worked on computer I could not fix. One
of my most harrowing repairs was repairing the electronics on a
failed hard drive. I found a bad solder joint on a surface mount
capacitor. I then gave the owner of the machine a lecture on
backing up.

Try removing a soldered eeprom to reflash it off the mainboard for
the user. and then, reinstall it to the mainboard, without
destroying it in the process. The board, or the eeprom. That's
harrowing. All because said user interrupted a bios flashupdate in
progress. They thought they were fuxored. They nearly were.

Ever remove an active copy of lojack from a laptop without losing
any data or otherwise harming the laptop? I have. Ever encounter a
password locked Dell where the password was set on the HD itself? I
have. And, I succesfully unlocked the hard disk, too. No, sticking
the HD in another machine won't give you any access to the drive
contents, if that's what you were thinking. The machine won't
even be able to identify the drive, because the circuitry on the
controller board on the drive itself is locked out. Trying to get
cheeky and swap controller boards will not unlock the drive either;
it's mated to the mechanical section at this point and will not
allow you any access. In case you had that in mind as the next step.

Ever crack Autocard r13 as a teenager, and make thousands by selling
a couple of cracked copies? I have.

Ever enjoy all the channels one could get via dish/directv via
emulation and reprogramming smart cards? I've done that too.

It pays to be a coder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/30/2017 04:17 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 03:45:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Ironically after the buy outs , Exide is no longer Exide.

http://www.timesnews.net/Business/20...tol-operations

Enersys-Delaware bought all of the Exide technology including the
manufacturing facilities and Exide was nothing but a name owned by
/some/ of the original owners. They in turn bought out Gould
National Battery which have previously bought out Chloride Battery
(which is where I originally started)

So Enersys is responsible for the bankruptcy that closed the Bristol plant?

I only have familiarity of the US operations but that plant closing was
an Exide plant which is absolutely nothing to do with Enersys.

http://www.timesnews.net/News/2013/0...for-bankruptcy

So if you want the superior Exide technology you need to go to
Enersys.

No, thanks.

I seriously doubt you would be using forklift batteries or stationary
batteries. I doubt you ever would have anything bigger than a car
battery and I did not deal with those.

BD told me you were some genius with computers too, and I found
out differently after chatting with you for a bit, so You'll have
to excuse me if I question other things you may discuss at this
point.

It was me just being modest and I do admit to not being much of a
programmer...but as far as actually trouble-shooting and repairing
I am battery pretty near 1000.

If you can't read/write code, you're limited. Sorry, but, you are.
The computer still 0wns you, you don't 0wn it.

It's not like I can't do it, but I prefer the hardware end of things.

Way back around the year 2000 I went so far as compiling my own Linux
kernel . In a way it was kind of challenging and fun but that type of
stuff is not my cup of tea.

I realize you're quite a bit older than myself, but, my electronics
troubleshooting background isn't exactly new. I was repairing tv's,
stereos, etc, and later, vhs based vcrs; previously beta max; which
was superior, but, still lost out, long before I became a teenager.
Some kids did the dishes for allowance, I fixed neighbors equipment
for mine.

I repaired my first radio (an AM portable) when I was 12 years old.
I did my first computer repair in 1979. For a post graduate course I
built a 6800 based computer that was used to program EPROMS.
It had four 10k memory boards and one of them only registered as 8k. My
professor could not figure it out but I eventually did. It was a bad PCB
feed through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6800

As far as your troubleshooting skills go, how often did you have to
rely on other peoples software to deal with something, and how often
did you resort to reloading Windows to fix a software issue? I'm
pretty sure I've got you beat on both counts, as in, much lower
numbers.

I never have had to reload Windows to fix a software problem. Back in
the days of Win98 I did occasionally get a machine that was was so
infected the only thing that made sense was to re-load Windows.

In the case I recall off hand, it would have taken hours to trace down
every last trace of infection yet barely took an hour to back up the
tiny amount of data and reload

I don't know if I've ever worked on computer I could not fix. One
of my most harrowing repairs was repairing the electronics on a
failed hard drive. I found a bad solder joint on a surface mount
capacitor. I then gave the owner of the machine a lecture on
backing up.

Try removing a soldered eeprom to reflash it off the mainboard for
the user. and then, reinstall it to the mainboard, without
destroying it in the process. The board, or the eeprom. That's
harrowing. All because said user interrupted a bios flashupdate in
progress. They thought they were fuxored. They nearly were.

For many years I repaired circuit boards on my job and have plenty of
experience replacing IC's. Never unsoldered an EPROM though. My "lab" at
home does not have the good vacuum desoldering tool I had at work.
I've had plenty of dumb customers but never one foolish enough to
interrupt an EPROM flash

Ever remove an active copy of lojack from a laptop without losing
any data or otherwise harming the laptop? I have. Ever encounter a
password locked Dell where the password was set on the HD itself? I
have. And, I succesfully unlocked the hard disk, too. No, sticking
the HD in another machine won't give you any access to the drive
contents, if that's what you were thinking. The machine won't
even be able to identify the drive, because the circuitry on the
controller board on the drive itself is locked out. Trying to get
cheeky and swap controller boards will not unlock the drive either;
it's mated to the mechanical section at this point and will not
allow you any access. In case you had that in mind as the next step.

Ever crack Autocard r13 as a teenager, and make thousands by selling
a couple of cracked copies? I have.

LOL, when I was a teen I was into tube-style amateur radio equipment.

If I can't claim to have removed lojac, I don't think you've ever
neutralized the tank circuit of a DX-100 transmitter.

Your argument only proves people have different skills

Ever enjoy all the channels one could get via dish/directv via
emulation and reprogramming smart cards? I've done that too.

Threw my TV out 25 years ago. I don't have anything to do with that ****

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:38:14 -0500, philo wrote:

I don't know if I've ever worked on computer I could not fix. One
of my most harrowing repairs was repairing the electronics on a
failed hard drive. I found a bad solder joint on a surface mount
capacitor. I then gave the owner of the machine a lecture on
backing up.

Not sure if I've run across one I couldn't fix either, but I've run
across quite a few I shouldn't have. I've spent more time on quite a
few than they were worth, so now I choose my battles. Back when a PC
cost $1200 and labour was $10 an hour it made sense to spend time on a
dead or flakey machine. When you can replace a PC with a good 2 or 3
year old off lease computer for $199 and labour is $35 and up an hour,
it just doesn't make sense any more in many cases.
At the factory where I spend 2 afternoons a week we have a stock of
off-lease Lenovos to replace dead factory floor machines (which were
off-lease Lenovos 7 years ago) Some were $99 and some were $199 -
depending where and when we bought them. Most of the ones from the era
of swelling caps have now died and been replaced. I re-capped a few
of the first ones to die, but now if it's more than a hard drive or a
power supply it's off to the recyclers - and if I don't have a good
salvaged power supply those with bad power supplies suffer the same
fate. Replacing the old ones upgrades from XP to Win7Pro at the same
time for no extra cost - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/30/2017 12:37 PM, Tony944 wrote:

"philo" wrote in message news On 04/28/2017 10:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

On 4/28/2017 8:03 PM,
wrote:

SNIP
When I'm "on the clock" it's still cheaper to even grab one at a drug
store than to drive an extra 8 blocks for a $2.99 battery - as
difficult as it is to get my head around THAT some days!!!!.

I still do some computer repair work and if I had a paying customer
waiting, $7 for a CMOS battery would not have been a big deal.

When doing work you can recover your cost it is often better to pay more
for an item and get the customer going.

When working a large motor speed control quit. The factory repair main
replaced 2 large diodes. There were 3 of them as this was a 3 phase
system. I asked him to replace the 3 rd one. He said they were $ 50
each. I told him I don't care as it was costing up about $ 1000 an hour
to be down plus your charge to come back in if needed. It may not need
changing, but why take the chance.

Someone brought me a power supply for a very high end film scanner.
It has four bridge rectifiers two of which had been replaced a while
back. One of the original ones is bad but I'm going to replace the
still-good original one as well. They are about $8 each.

**Are you sure they are Diodes' and not the Triacs

Yep, simple bridge rectifier.

The box he gave me just contains the transformer and rectifiers.

It plugs into the device which I assume has a filter caps and regulation.

It's simple and straightforward.

I've worked on this type of equipment since the 70's

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/30/2017 01:14 PM, wrote:
[...]

One thing I don't bother to do is re-cap.

First off I can get replacement mobos on eBay for next to nothing and
good caps are not cheap.

I did attempt it once and replaced all the ones that were visually bad,
bit the mobo still did not work due to others being bad as well. I
decided not to bother, it was a waste of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 5:30:25 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 04/30/2017 04:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

When working a large motor speed control quit. The factory repair main
replaced 2 large diodes. There were 3 of them as this was a 3 phase
system. I asked him to replace the 3 rd one. He said they were $ 50
each. I told him I don't care as it was costing up about $ 1000 an hour
to be down plus your charge to come back in if needed. It may not need
changing, but why take the chance.

Someone brought me a power supply for a very high end film scanner.
It has four bridge rectifiers two of which had been replaced a while
back. One of the original ones is bad but I'm going to replace the
still-good original one as well. They are about $8 each.

**Are you sure they are Diodes' and not the Triacs

Yes, they were diodes. They were probably for over 100 amps. About as
big around as a half dollar, one end had screw threads about 3/8 inch in
diameter and a brade with a large lug on the other end.

They are 35 amp bridge rectifiers

that look like this

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...FVg9gQodV1gP6Q

Dang that brings back a lot of memories! I was buying a lot of parts from MCM in the late 1970's and into the 80's. I used to pour over the catalog like it was a toy catalog but there were numerous electronics parts stores in town at the time. I'm not sure how many stores have survived but there are still a few around. Good grief I remember what I had to go through to do mail order. The Internet was SciFi back then. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Nostalgia Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 18:41:08 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I did attempt it once and replaced all the ones that were visually
bad, bit the mobo still did not work due to others being bad as
well. I decided not to bother, it was a waste of time.

When doing a cap job, you may as well go ahead and do them all. So you
don't run into problems like you experienced, later on. Visual
inspection alone is not sufficient to determine caps
condition...Considering your electronics background? you should have
known that and not opted for the route you took. I'm going to chalk
this one off as boredom on your part. It does get old, kind of fast,
desoldering/soldering a pile of various sized caps.

When the suspect (depending on which story you go with) caps came to
light, it was cheaper to replace them on the boards than it was to
replace the board, risk changing out the chipset, and having to modify
the windows registry so it does a driver hunt, instead of trying to
load on a different board which usually (but not always) results in a
BSOD instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news Apr 2017 16:38:14 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

I seriously doubt you would be using forklift batteries or
stationary batteries. I doubt you ever would have anything bigger
than a car battery and I did not deal with those.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions, right? I actually
get a kick out of people who make the mistake of trying to judge me,
or the knowledge they think I have/don't have, without knowing
anything about me, personally. Not only have I 'used' forklift
batteirs for various projects, including running an electric
forklift (they make fantastic inverter power sources, too, btw),
I've also spent a considerable amount of time rewiring the charging
boards, rewinding the motors which typically provided hydraulics in
my case; although, I do remember seeing one or two that I call
direct drive, no hydraulics, just hard grunt work provided by a DC
motor.

Btw, I recently rebuilt the charger for a skyjack and reconditioned
the batteries for the same unit. It doesn't use car batteries
either. ROFL.

Suffice to say, I know a bit more about batteries from hands on
experience than you've made the mistake of publically assuming.

I'm just as guilty of assumptions I previously made about you, based
on what BD mislead me to believe about you. He mislead me into
thinking you were a peer of mine in so far as IT, and, ehh, that's
just not the case. It's not the first time he's tried this **** mind
you, but...I don't usually get the chance to have a civil
conversation with the person he volunteered. Until you came along,
that is.

If you can't read/write code, you're limited. Sorry, but, you
are. The computer still 0wns you, you don't 0wn it.

It's not like I can't do it, but I prefer the hardware end of
things.

Heheh... Famous last words. I've met a lot of people who think
coding is easy, too. Until they're asked to actually do something
'useful' without the benefit of a 'compiler' to hold your hand for
the most part. Matter of fact, if you don't really understand what
your compiler is doing with your code, you don't understand how the
resulting executable might contain several vulnerabilities that
someone like me can find with a debugger/disassembler and take full
advantage of. There's a big difference between an HLL programmer and
a 'coder'. Despite both 'programming'. One understands in intimate
detail what's going on with the code he/she is writing, and the
other, does not.

Way back around the year 2000 I went so far as compiling my own
Linux kernel . In a way it was kind of challenging and fun but
that type of stuff is not my cup of tea.

What did you add/remove code wise from the source prior to
compiling? Was it something you wrote, or additional hardware
support you needed at the time? In other words, did you incorporate
an additional (in windows speak) driver?

I realize you're quite a bit older than myself, but, my
electronics troubleshooting background isn't exactly new. I was
repairing tv's, stereos, etc, and later, vhs based vcrs;
previously beta max; which was superior, but, still lost out,
long before I became a teenager. Some kids did the dishes for
allowance, I fixed neighbors equipment for mine.

I repaired my first radio (an AM portable) when I was 12 years
old. I did my first computer repair in 1979. For a post graduate
course I built a 6800 based computer that was used to program
EPROMS. It had four 10k memory boards and one of them only
registered as 8k. My professor could not figure it out but I
eventually did. It was a bad PCB feed through.

LOL. I was already doing radio repair, shortwave TUBE type, antique
my dad once owned, at age 5. [g] I borrowed a tube tester from an
older person and was able to use it, without his assistance. I was
even able to acquire a source for replacement RCA tubes for it. My
dad was shocked, but, I got to experience what his dad knew as
'radio' with the excessively long warm up time required between
turning it on and actually hearing something. Considering it was my
first hands on experience with a tube radio, I thought something
might still be broken. I wasn't expecting to power it up, verify it
was getting power, and then, waiting for a bit for it to make noise.
Seriously, I was watching it with an eagle eye, ready to shut the
power down as soon as I saw smoke, sparks, arcing, or something.

I also obtained a small black and white tube tv. yes, I know at the
time the crt was tube too, but, this tv was actually old school,
tubes. It took twenty minutes before you heard anything or saw
anything on the little screen. It was a 'portable' tv that had a
handle, but, for my little self, weighed a ton! I remember enjoying
many episodes of what people younger than myself now call 'classic
dr who' on it. Along with nat king cole on PBS. I was able to
connect my atari 2600 into it and play asteroids though. [g]

Now, in all fairness to you and others reading; the knowledge I've
acquired is primarily due to far older very knowledgeable
individuals who saw I had a real interest in what they were doing
and spent the time to teach me. I didn't really associate that much
with people my own age. Didn't read comic books, didn't care for
sports, didn't really like going outside to 'play' as most kids my
age preferred doing. I wanted to know how things worked, AND, why. I
was very lucky in the sense that most of my family on both sides are
engineers, tradesmen, etc. I took full advantage of it, I learned
whatever they were willing to share and teach.

In kindergarden for example, I was allowed to skip naptime and
follow the electrician around; my teacher thought that was more
productive than nap time for me. I was already bringing electric
motors to school, anyhow.

The electrician got a kick out of me, too. he didn't have to dumb
down what he was doing. I understood. And, I enjoyed the time he
spent with me. He even let me install a new ballast. With his
supervision, of course. I neglected to tell him my dad had me well
versed in doing that, at home. g

For my sixth birthday, I got an oscilloscope. My mom at the time
worked for a company which manufactured circuit boards to control
commercial equipment. Mixers, soda dispensers, that sort of thing.
So, she was bringing me testing gear, technical reference manuals,
diodes, capacitors, resistors, etc. I had a soldering iron long
before I ever had my own lego set. I could already ready a schematic
long before I was taught to read a map with a compass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6800

I'm familiar with it, but, I was already writing code well before
college professors provided their insight to it. I got in a little
trouble in the same school described above for hacking the oregon
trail game on the green screen apple. I wanted more ammo. g I
didn't own a computer at home yet, that was three more years down
the road, but, I catch on quick to things that interest me. And, I
had the coding bug already.

We even had a robotics class when I was in 2nd grade. It was driven
by a room full of those apples I mentioned previously. With a long
data cable plugged into the back of it; which was kept off the floor
and out of the way via a boom; similar infact to what you'd find on
a tv production set for a microphone. We 'talked to it' with the
logos language. Are you familiar with it?

I never have had to reload Windows to fix a software problem.
Back in the days of Win98 I did occasionally get a machine that
was was so infected the only thing that made sense was to re-load
Windows.

Er, besides contradicting yourself, you took the 'easy way' out too.
And I understand your likely reason for doing so, time is money and
you can't realistically bill a customer for many hours for a single
job when reloading could save time and lessen their bill. Or, if you
didn't bill them, save you a lot of time. In my case, I would have
taken samples of the suspected malicious code and studied it on my
own time. for later use. In the event I encountered it again. it's
how I originally 'taught' BugHunter, anyways.

As far as never having to reload windows.. If you had to changeout
the mainboard for another using a different chipset on an NT based
box, how did you get around the BSOD issue? You had two options.
One, reload windows, or, two, boot the machine from a startup disc
able to read/write to NTFS (or fat32 if the drive wasn't formatted
for NTFS) and manually mount a specific file that is part of the
registry 'hive'; to edit a single key entry. By single key entry,
the key itself contained subkeys and you just 'deleted' the entries
dealing with the hardware. Once you did so, saving your changes, you
could restart the machine on the new board, and instead of the BSOD,
Windows would begin hardware detection. This same trick worked for
the win9x series too, btw.

In the case I recall off hand, it would have taken hours to trace
down every last trace of infection yet barely took an hour to back
up the tiny amount of data and reload

infection? Do you remember what it actually had? You see, had you
been a coder, you could have written a small utility to hunt the
'infection' traces down for you. Once you acquired a viable sample
of it, that is.

For many years I repaired circuit boards on my job and have plenty
of experience replacing IC's. Never unsoldered an EPROM though. My
"lab" at home does not have the good vacuum desoldering tool I had
at work. I've had plenty of dumb customers but never one foolish
enough to interrupt an EPROM flash

If you have a large enough customer base, you run into all kinds of
stupid. And, that's not confined to matters of IT. it's in appliance
repair (see my previous post in this newsgroup on bypass the two
safety lockouts on a maytag washer using digital controls),
electrical, electronics, etc.

Even when I was a kid, doing vcr repair, I can't count the times a
toddler thought the machine was hungry and 'fed it'. Granted, the
toddler wasn't stupid per say, just very ignorant, which is
understandable. I used! to think The parents were imho, stupid for
letting the kiddo anywhere near it unsupervised. Until I was
responsible for little ones years later. They can get out of sight
on you in a hurry, especially if your mind is focused elsewhere.

[...]

Do you know what lojack is? The name itself should be a big clue, if
you know anything about antitheft for cars/trucks, etc. It's along
the same lines. Anyways, the lojack software requires a bios
reflash, where it actually gets loaded as several win32 PE based
executables, as an 'optionrom'. Once it's up and going, even a clean
install of Windows won't save you. It'll silent install (as in, drop
the images from eeprom to disc and edit the necessary registry keys
to ensure execution, later on). Then, it checks in when it detects a
live network connection to see if the laptop is reported stolen.

If it is, it locks the laptop down and holds your data for ransom.
As well as snitching out the laptops location as best as it can to
the lojack company, which gets the local authorities involved.
Pretty soon, you have a knock on the door and you find yourself in
handcuffs for being in possession of stolen property.

The particular laptop was provided to me (I did not know where it
came from at the time, or how lojack wound up on it, until after I
completely removed it) by a family member who didn't bother to tell
me it was a rent to own machine from rent a center. They still owed
for it, and rent a center wanted their money or the machine back.

It was mailed to me from someone out of state, non working. The hard
drive failed, basically. I copied the owners data to another drive,
and installed a new one. After loading a clean copy of Windows XP
VLK edition using a good key from my collection, I noticed it was
trying to do something on my 'fake' network. I thought that was very
strange, considering that I wasn't opening any applications yet at
the time, it was a completely clean installation. When I snooped
it's activity via a hub (yes, a hub, not a switch), I noticed it was
trying to contact an IP I knew nothing about, that wasn't a known
one for windows updates, or anything related to the drivers I was
still in the process of getting on the machine.

So I started checking out the machine a bit closer. It wouldn't do
this if booted from read only media. So, I used a custom repair disc
I created to see what the hell was going on. That's when I noticed
it was trying (and failing) to create two executables with an MS
like name buried in the windows sub folders.

So I had a look at the hard disk, and sure enough, these files
existed there. So I copied them over to another machine for malware
analysis. That's when I discovered it was lojacked, and, active.

Prior to doing this, I wasn't familiar with lojack in the sense of
first hand experience. So I disassembled it. I wanted to know where
it came from, I knew my media was clean, so it couldn't have come
from there. So, I used a generic BIOS firmware dumping utility I
wrote to see what was up. and, that's where I found the ****er.

Doing a bit more work from console on my clean machines, I was able
to remove the option rom and reflash the new firmware; without
lojack. After removing the registry keys and the added executables,
I booted the laptop back up on the HD I installed. And monitored it.
No more lojack.

After doing all of that, I was curious as hell about the entire
lojack situation, since the software isn't freeware and isn't cheap,
either. So I called the owner and inquired about the laptops
history. Did they buy it used off somebody or what? Nope, it was
from rent a center, and, they had missed several payments.

Keep in mind, I took the approach of unknown malware on the machine,
not a legitimate installation of lojack by the actual owner of said
machine. I didn't know at the time, until I got into it with a
disassembler the software wasn't technically malware and was just
trying to protect the real owners interests.

Concerning the radio aspect...

I did get busted by the FCC when I was 12 years old for running a
home made 1kilowatt FM radio transmitter. I could! have played
stupid about the entire thing, but, my proud parental units gave the
*******s a tour of my lab, not realizing how much they were screwing
me over. They had hours to chat it up with my mom and dad while I
was still at school. Ever seen the movie, Wargames? Well, when the
kid notices the van coming out of the convenience store, he realized
something was up, but it was too late.

That's basically what happened to me. I noticed the wrong van (it
had the wrong telephone company name on it) sitting near our
apartment. As in, directly across the street. I actually turned
around (I walked home from school) and started walking in the other
direction when my dad saw me from the window and yeld at me to come
upstairs, they had people who wanted to meet me. I've had several
what I call, close calls since I didn't get arrested or anything,
since then. Such as the Melissa virus. I didn't host it, My only
assocation other than being one of several friends of it's author
was securing a local ISP to provide a dedicated machine to host
another friends website, known as codebreakers.org. I didn't know
the melissa virus was going to be offered there, until after the
fact. As in, front page local news.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/apr/03/news/mn-23832
https://www.cnet.com/news/melissa-su...in-new-jersey/
The FBI also contacted Global Connection, a small Internet service
provider in Kingsport, Tennessee, whose computers hosted the Web
site Codebreakers.org, according to Dennis Halsey, 36, chief
executive of Global Connection. That site contained computer virus
information and may have helped spread the Melissa virus, Halsey
said.

A few days ago, a Silicon Valley company and another person
contacted Halsey by email, saying they got the Melissa virus and
tracked it to the Codebreakers Web site.

"We shut down the Web site on Monday. We don't like viruses any more
than anybody," Halsey said.

The Codebreakers Web site was put together by his business partner
and a friend of the partner, Halsey said. That friend, he said, "is
apparently in a large, international virus organization."

The Melissa virus and Codebreakers.. first, a little reading material:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/02/us...ail-virus.html

This is the most important part:

Officials from Global Connection, an Internet provider in Kingsport, Tenn., said they also received a call from the F.B.I. on Thursday in connection with the Melissa investigation. Global Connection was host of the Web site of Codebreakers.org, a group that includes some virus writers and to which VicodinES apparently once belonged.

Alex Potts, sales and marketing manager for Global Connection, said the company had already decided to disconnect the Web page from the Internet on Tuesday to ''err on the side of caution.'' Mr. Potts said the company had read news reports and received E-mails that connected the site to the Melissa virus.

And this one:

http://articles.philly.com/1999-04-0...g-virus-makers

Dennis Halsey, the CEO and vice president of Global Connection, said
he did not think anything of the request at the time. In fact, Halsey
did not require any formal application and never checked to see what
the Web site was. Neither Halsey nor the FBI would release the man's
name.

The site turned out to be Codebreakers.org - one of the main places
that virus creators use to trade code. ``We never imagined it to be
something this big, believe me,'' said Halsey, who described the man
as a computer wizard.

Halsey, who is not implicated in the case, said he knew the man only
because ``it's a small town and everybody sort of knows each
other.'' But Halsey thought it was inconceivable that such a young
man could be the infamous VicodinES or another prominent virus maker.

``I'm sure that he is not the one who wrote the virus,'' Halsey said.
``I mean, this is a multinational organization, there are members
everywhere. How could this young kid be involved?''

I do look very young for my age. I tried to find the original
release provided by the kingsport times news, on their front page! in the
physical copy, but.. it's been so long...Dennis thought I was
sixteen years old and was named Justin. Close call, right? Had he
known my actual name, he would have thrown me under the bus in a
heartbeat.

My co worker and friend who hooked me up with Dennis, since he was a business
partner of Dennis at the time told me to go pickup the newspaper when I got to
work that morning. I found his request odd, considering we were a computer shop
and could read the news, online, whenever. But, I humoured him and did as he requested.
My jaw hit the ****ing floor when I read that on THE FRONT page of the newspaper.

Needless to say, I turned in my notice that morning, got my
paycheck, and left the state for awhile, until things cooled down. I
actually moved a bit further down south, but, the remailer, nor
David Brooks, etc, ever managed to find that address on me, either.
ROFL.

My pirate radio station was home made, and, I thought it only
xmitted around my local neighborhood; I didn't realize it was
broadcasting a bit further and some people didn't appreciate the
music I'd play on it. But hey, I was 12, and I built it entirely
from scratch, on my own, without help. I was pleased with it, it
sounded great on the radios in the house. They found my FM wireless
channel changer too. And took my original version, my beloved
prototype. It would let you wireless control ANY fm radio. You turn
it on, set the dial, the radio would ONLY pickup what you tuned in,
regardless of station you set the radio to. It did this by
generating a dampening field (obviously) and only allowed one
frequency to pass thru, that you determined with the dial on it. So,
it worked, literally, with ANY FM radio. House, car, made no
difference.

If I can't claim to have removed lojac, I don't think you've ever
neutralized the tank circuit of a DX-100 transmitter.

You'd be wrong, again. It's a heathkit. i've done ALL KINDS of
things to heathkits. Both of my granddads were into ham.

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmdx-100.shtml

I still think it's a pile of **** rig, for what it's worth.

I'd take a galaxy saturn with mods over that pile of ****, any day
of the week. you do know what galaxy radios are right?

Your argument only proves people have different skills

On that I do agree. Most importantly though, it's not wise for
either of us to make assumptions about what the other knows or
doesn't. You know very little about me, and I only know a little
about you, based on our interactions and what BD lied to me about
concerning your skillset with regard to IT. You aren't what he
claimed you were. He's been trying for years now to find someone on
my level to help him pay me back for a very specific response to his
own I did:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=boaterdave...nt&t=h_&ia=web

or

https://www.google.com/#q=boaterdave+hhi+torrent

Yea, he was dox'd, and how.

Why did I do that to him? It's simple. He took what he thought was a
valid meatspace address on me and converted it to a gsv. He then
took this and posted it as a new post, into several different
newsgroups asking if it was my house. It wasn't, but, that wasn't
the point. He tried! to dox me, without any provocation by me. I
simply refused to help him gain unauthorized access to a couple of
web forums he'd been banned from.

He's had a hardon for me, ever since. He even recruited the lead
Malwarebytes researcher to help him break into an encrypted .zip
file I stored on my BugHunter site. Not only did they fail,
miserably I might add, they exposed their incompetence in the
process by claiming it wasn't a .zip file, because none of the
archiving tools they tested it against recognized it as a.zip file
in the first place. Of course not, it was encrypted! The required
header information wasn't available to the utilities. That's what
you get for asking someone who knows nothing about executable code
or binary file structures for that matter to assist. Considering
that I'm also a former employee of same company from the same
****ing department, he had no right to even do that, nor do I feel
they had the right to try to help him. He didn't know at the time
(he does now, though, oh yes he does) that her claim to fame in the
antimalware industry is that of a script kiddie, NOT a coder, like
myself. His dumbass thought her title meant she knew more than I did.
I still enjoy reminding him how wrong he was. BFG

He's had the same .zip file for over a year now, and, nobody he's
been able to sucker into helping him has been able to unlock it. Not
a single person. and, here's the funniest part to it all, the
algorithm was originally written by me on a coco3; my first
'computer' and has since been ported to the PC, years ago. It's not
PGP, mind you, but it's not script kiddie grade crypto, either.
ROFL.

Threw my TV out 25 years ago. I don't have anything to do with
that ****

It was a lucrative source of income for me for several years. Free
PPV was worth monies at one point especially with all the sports
channels included. Mostly football fans, but, I digress. Good monies
I made doing it.

I don't know what horse **** BD has told you about me, but, if it's
what he told me about you, it's horse ****, straight up, horse ****.
We aren't peers, bro, not even close. We have some things in common,
but, we're not even in the same ballpark.

You might like to know how I encountered what you call your friend..
if you do, this will explain it all:

http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/bdemail1.zip

He tried (and failed) to trick me into doing some shady **** to
people I didn't know that he has a personal issue with. Because I
refused to do that, he tried to dox me, and, we've been less than
what you might say, friends, ever since then.

In other words, he tried to use you to deal with me, because, he's
unable to do so on his own. He seriously misrepresented you to me.

I'm obviously not as old as you are...However, age doesn't really
mean that much when discussing experience and acquired hands on
knowledge, either. Not in this case, anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster
Mon, 01
May 2017 03:38:49 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[snip]

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...FVg9gQodV1gP6Q

Dang that brings back a lot of memories! I was buying a lot of
parts from MCM in the late 1970's and into the 80's. I used to
pour over the catalog like it was a toy catalog but there were
numerous electronics parts stores in town at the time. I'm not
sure how many stores have survived but there are still a few
around. Good grief I remember what I had to go through to do mail
order. The Internet was SciFi back then. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

*drool* same here! but, I started in the 80s. [g] I wasn't doing
much in the 70s, considering I was born two years prior to the end
of that decade. Which, imho, made a lot of great music! They got a
pile of my allowance and other monies acquired from various repairs
I described in a long post. [g] A super sized 'word wall' to you, no
doubt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2017 10:55, Diesel wrote:

I was born two years prior to the end of that decade.

It's good to see you telling the truth, Dustin! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89k7nfkvb8...ders.tiff?dl=0

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2017 10:55, Diesel wrote:

He seriously misrepresented you to me.

No, Dustin, I didn't.

Like me, Philo is one of life's good guys! :-)

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 4:58:40 AM UTC-5, Diesel wrote:
[...]

Life stories take a word wall. Me and my brother got in trouble for disassembling electronics and everything else when we were little kids. Darn I wish PC's existed when I was a kid because I'd be Dr.Evil by now. Me and my brother hung out at the college computer center for a while in the mid 1960's when we were teens. We were learning Fortran and Basic at the time but since we were 2 of 9 children our parents couldn't afford to get us to classes in computer programming because we were living in a rural area too far away to get to the local junior college via bicycle. In the mid 1960's the University of Alabama was retiring the UNIVAC 1100 series in favor of an IBM 360/50 RAX(Remote Access) system with terminals around campus. We were there for a while when our mother was working on one of he her degrees. UA is 150 miles from the family farm. It would take a word wall of China to describe what we were up to in our childhood.

The time for someone to get into coding is when they are kids. The leaders of the USSR knew that which is why Bulgaria was training computer programmers when they were children. Do you remember Bulgarian hackers? Unfortunately, when I was a young man, I had no time to play with computers because I was too busy making a living and struggling to survive. It was only later that I got my hands on second hand PC's and even later that I started assembling my own. Now I'm covered up with computers. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 04:55 AM, Diesel wrote:
[...]

Yes, it was nothing critical, just the need to fool with something for
the heck of it. Even if I would have repaired the mobo, withing having
replaced all the caps I never would have trusted it.

I did not have enough capacitors in my junkbox to do the whole thing
and to replace all of them would have cost way more that buying a cheap
replacement board on eBay.

It was an older P-4 and not even worth repairing in the first place
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

So if you know all about forklifts what is it specifically you have
against Enersys tubular batteries? I have not worked for them for four
years and am hardly touting the company but the truth is they make damn
good batteries.

Since you are familiar with motive power then I do not need to go into
detail about why a tubular battery delivers more power than a flat plate
(for the same sized battery.)

One of our competitors, to make a flat plate that delivers as much power
as a tubular started manufacturing flat plate batteries with more...but
thinner...plates.
Yes, they will deliver as much power as a tubular battery ,,,but there
is no way in hell they will last as long. My guess is probably half the
life...making the extra expense of a tubular worth it in applications
which require more power....especially freezers.

The funny thing about Enerysys is that they have now bought up quite a
few of their competitors so they also sell those lower quality high
capacity flat plates.

The office I worked out of was authorized to see the former Exide
technology batteries and also the General Battery brand.

We were not authorized to sell the Hawker products or Douglas.

We at least handled two divisions...in some parts of the country, the
factory branches only handled one product apiece.
Bottom line though: Enersys has the lions share of the market.

..

Way back around the year 2000 I went so far as compiling my own
Linux kernel . In a way it was kind of challenging and fun but
that type of stuff is not my cup of tea.

What did you add/remove code wise from the source prior to
compiling? Was it something you wrote, or additional hardware
support you needed at the time? In other words, did you incorporate
an additional (in windows speak) driver?

As you know Linux kernel 2.2 did not even had USB support.

I heard that if the mobo had USB support, one could compile-in USB
support and get it going. The cognoscenti at the time advised me that it
would not work if the machine had an add-on USB card.

Though my old P-1 did have an add-on USB card I saw no reason why I
could not give it a try...so I compiled a USB kernel but as I was
warned...my add-on card did not function.

Years later I discussed this with a friend who wrote drivers for HP and
quite a bit brighter than me in the area. He told me that I would have
needed to specify the H/W parameters of the card itself. Something way
beyond my ability.

It was just an exercise in learning as the 2.4 kernel was already out
and IIRC it did have working USB even for add-on cards.

snip

Wife is calling me, gotta go

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2017 16:05, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Hello, UFM

I suggest that, sadly, nothing much is ever going to change for you. :-(

But at least you are still 'above ground'! ;-)

(for Dustin - UFM is not 'dead and buried'!)

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 06:58 AM, David B. wrote:
On 01/05/2017 10:55, Diesel wrote:

He seriously misrepresented you to me.

No, Dustin, I didn't.

Like me, Philo is one of life's good guys! :-)

Thanks for that.

I'm sure Diesel is a bright guy but he is not going to gain friends by
bragging about how bright he is and running down other people.

The word is "insecurity."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 10:05 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

survive. It was only later that I got my hands on second hand PC's and
even later that I started assembling my own. Now I'm covered up with
computers. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

I remember when pc's were first getting into homes, and it was a few
years after that when we got our 100 mhz pentium! Now, it is like a
dinosaur compared to what's on the market these days. I never was a
hardware person, but loved playing with software. My son is the one in
the family who can do just about anything hardware with servers and
computers. I could probably learn hardware if I took a course, but,
never had the interest, yet.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 12:17:32 PM UTC-5, David B. wrote:
[...]

I'm a survivor and I've great people helping me. Since I can't get out and work anymore, I must find things to take up my time. Hey I know! I could learn how to code. I could get the educational material used to teach little kids how to code. I could be an evil hacker in no time. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Evil Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster
Mon, 01
May 2017 15:05:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

The time for someone to get into coding is when they are kids. The
leaders of the USSR knew that which is why Bulgaria was training
computer programmers when they were children. Do you remember
Bulgarian hackers?

Yes, I do. And you're right. The best time to get into coding is
when you're a kiddo. And, stick with it, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles
news 01 May 2017 18:20:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 5/1/2017 10:05 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

survive. It was only later that I got my hands on second hand
PC's and even later that I started assembling my own. Now I'm
covered up with computers. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

I remember when pc's were first getting into homes, and it was a
few years after that when we got our 100 mhz pentium!

ROFL. You still write horse****, after all this time. Computers did
exist, in peoples homes, long before what you know as a 'pc' did.

It's no wonder you thought a php web forum was a BBS, then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 15:27:11 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

[...]

There's ways, you know, using software to do a 'burn in' test on the
board to determine if it's stable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 15:45:07 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

So if you know all about forklifts what is it specifically you
have against Enersys tubular batteries? I have not worked for them
for four years and am hardly touting the company but the truth is
they make damn good batteries.

I didn't say I had a problem with their batteries. You assumed I knew
nothing about other types of batteries...*shrug*

Since you are familiar with motive power then I do not need to go
into detail about why a tubular battery delivers more power than a
flat plate (for the same sized battery.)

No, you don't. If I want 'real power' for very small size and weight,
I'd be running one or more flavors of lithium these days, anyhow. I
can get more amps out of them than I could tubular or flat plate, for
much smaller physical size and weight. A ****load more amps,
actually.

Have you seen the electric drag racing car?

I heard that if the mobo had USB support, one could compile-in USB
support and get it going. The cognoscenti at the time advised me
that it would not work if the machine had an add-on USB card.

Though my old P-1 did have an add-on USB card I saw no reason why
I could not give it a try...so I compiled a USB kernel but as I
was warned...my add-on card did not function.

Years later I discussed this with a friend who wrote drivers for
HP and quite a bit brighter than me in the area. He told me that I
would have needed to specify the H/W parameters of the card
itself. Something way beyond my ability.

Your friend is correct. That's SOP for driver writing, btw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 17:42:11 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On 05/01/2017 06:58 AM, David B. wrote:
On 01/05/2017 10:55, Diesel wrote:

He seriously misrepresented you to me.

No, Dustin, I didn't.

Like me, Philo is one of life's good guys! :-)

Thanks for that.

David Brooks isn't a good guy, unless you consider cyber stalking to
be a good thing.

I'm sure Diesel is a bright guy but he is not going to gain
friends by bragging about how bright he is and running down other
people.

I'm not here to make friends. I've known most of my actual friends
for years, anyhow. And, I didn't meet them via usenet interactions.
Concerning the 'bragging' aspect, I wasn't bragging. You assumed
various things about me which weren't correct, so I thought i'd take
the opportunity to correct you.

The word is "insecurity."

Oh, I see. You have a usenet psychiatric degree as well? Perhaps BD
and yourself aren't so different after all, then. I just don't have
the time to interact with a smartass BD clone; who isn't as smart as
he thought he was, anyhow. Especially one who takes offense when he
falls short on comparisons, HE invited.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/01/2017 02:51 PM, Diesel wrote:
[...]

I have a degree in Psychology FWIW

It does not take a degree however to see that you seem to be a bit
insecure. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, why do you have to
always try to prove your worthiness? Who on Usenet are you trying to
impress?

No need to answer , it's not important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 May 2017 19:43:39 GMT, "Tekkie®" wrote:

On 28-Apr-2017, wrote:

That said, today was the last day of 1/3 of my working life going to
the same office every morning (16 years of my 48) for 8:30.
One more step towards retirement. I'm not quite retired yet - just
tired!!!!

Congrats Clare Remember you want to wear out; not rust out. That worked
for me for awhile then I bottomed out health wise. Time for you to enjoy
life - no regrets!

I intend to keep busy. I'll be playing nurse to my wife after heart
surgery later this spring, then hopefully we'll get to do a bit of
travelling. Daughter is getting married this fall, so mabee I should
learn to dance?? I've got 2 left feet. Need to get the plane finished
too, and hopefully get my pilot's licence - might need to get
cataracts fixed first - - then I've got most of the makings for a
replica Briggs and Stratton Flier as well as a "Red Bug" to get
completed sometime before I die too.
That's all after I get the lawn back in shape, and I need to get a new
roof on my shed, and likely rebuild the rear deck.
I'm not likely to run out of stuff to do for a few years.

A friend out at the airport is restoring a '67 Camaro RS as well as a
'36 or '37 Ford pickup - I've helped on his '31 model A and his '59
'vette in the past - so if I get a hankering to turn a wrench there's
lots for me to do there too. Also another friend's Isetta needs
finishing - he'll likely be asking for help - and hopefully we'll pull
his '53 MG TD out and I'll give it some exercise this summer. Mabee
the ''71 Fiat Cinco too. He's also working on an old scooter.

Then I've got my wife's 15 year old Taurus and my 21 year old
pick-em-up to keep on the road-----.
Route 66 is calling, the little woman wants to get to Hawaii, and I'd
love to take her to visit "my old stompin' grounds" to see Victoria
Falls - and also South Africa and Botswana for some game viewing.
As long as the money and our health both hold up, I won't run out of
ideas to keep busy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

But in a forklift truck, engineered into the design of the truck is the
counterweight of the battery.

Of course there are batteries lighter then lead-acid but the weight is
essential. Most trucks, and certainly all high life varieties have a
specified minimum battery weight.
Have you seen the electric drag racing car?

Somewhere at my company there was a poster showing the car that held the
world speed record in 1899. It was an electric car that went 60 mile per
hour. As to drag racing, it's been a long time since I've seen one.

Did a lot of street racing back in the late 60's.

My friend owned a '67 Shelby 350 and soon lost his license so I did most
of the driving after that.
Those were different times ,

I heard that if the mobo had USB support, one could compile-in USB
support and get it going. The cognoscenti at the time advised me
that it would not work if the machine had an add-on USB card.

Though my old P-1 did have an add-on USB card I saw no reason why
I could not give it a try...so I compiled a USB kernel but as I
was warned...my add-on card did not function.

Years later I discussed this with a friend who wrote drivers for
HP and quite a bit brighter than me in the area. He told me that I
would have needed to specify the H/W parameters of the card
itself. Something way beyond my ability.

Your friend is correct. That's SOP for driver writing, btw.

Yeah. He was the High School genius and he does not have anything good
to say about HP. He really got screwed over.

He told me that at one time HP made equipment that no one else could
make....but now they make equipment no one else wants to bother with.

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration of both ends but like I said before
it's a different world

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news 2017 20:43:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Oh, I see. You have a usenet psychiatric degree as well?

I have a degree in Psychology FWIW

So, you have a degree in psychology, and think without meeting me in
person you can provide an accurate diagnosis do you? Very amusing.

It does not take a degree however to see that you seem to be a bit
insecure.

ROFL. See above.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses

I don't disagree with you.

why do you have to always try to prove your worthiness?

I wasn't trying to prove any such thing. I simply corrected some poor
assumptions you made concerning me. You assumed, incorrectly, that I
had no experience with various battery types. And that I knew nothing
about old radios. You were wrong. I realize that's a hard pill for
you to swallow, but, that's just how it is.

Who on Usenet are you trying to impress?

I'm not trying to impress anyone.

No need to answer , it's not important.

If you don't like getting your ass kicked, why did you step into the
ring? That's always a risk you take when you do that. No need to
answer, it's not important.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo news May 2017 20:51:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

But in a forklift truck, engineered into the design of the truck
is the counterweight of the battery.

I'm aware of the counterweight needs and how the batteries factor
into it yes. You can stop trying to talk down to me anytime you'd
like. I'll just continue handing you your ass for your trouble...

Of course there are batteries lighter then lead-acid but the
weight is essential. Most trucks, and certainly all high life
varieties have a specified minimum battery weight.
Have you seen the electric drag racing car?

Somewhere at my company there was a poster showing the car that
held the world speed record in 1899. It was an electric car that
went 60 mile per hour. As to drag racing, it's been a long time
since I've seen one.

Is youtube broken? It's a little 5speed compact car, that blisters
anything that tries to race against it...It's funny as all hell to
see big bad gassers lose their asses to it. And by lose, I mean they
never had a chance. Even when it clearly has electrical issues, they
can't outrun it. Not even close.

Did a lot of street racing back in the late 60's.

Times have changed since then...

Yeah. He was the High School genius and he does not have anything
good to say about HP. He really got screwed over.

The only thing good I can say about HP is that they make junk the
masses buy up like candy. Which is good for me. Otherwise...I'd have
to agree with your friend.

He told me that at one time HP made equipment that no one else
could make....but now they make equipment no one else wants to
bother with.

Once again, your friend is correct.

Possibly a bit of an exaggeration of both ends but like I said
before it's a different world

That it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2017 4:41 PM, Diesel wrote:
philo news May 2017 20:51:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

But in a forklift truck, engineered into the design of the truck
is the counterweight of the battery.

I'm aware of the counterweight needs and how the batteries factor
into it yes. You can stop trying to talk down to me anytime you'd
like. I'll just continue handing you your ass for your trouble...

I'm 5' 6" so there are few people I talk down to.

Maybe you are taking what I say a bit too seriously.