Posted to alt.home.repair

Default price of AAA alkaline / emergency lighting

On 6/3/2016 1:43 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/03/2016 05:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

LED lights with coin cells are small enough to
put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small
light on your keys, or some where you have it
near you all the time.

I have a friend who frequently goes to dark places (while walking dogs),
and often loses stuff (including keys). That is one reason I need to
carry a flashlight.

For about two bucks, you can buy a flashlight
for your friend to use. You stay home and be
comfortable.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2016 2:17 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/3/2016 6:23 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
LED lights with coin cells are small enough to
put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small
light on your keys, or some where you have it
near you all the time.

Mentioned time I was in internal bathroom off locker room at local PAL.
Someone shut off the light and I would have been lost without the little
light. You don't expect problems like this during the day.

Once in a while, a small light sure is handy.

Glad you made it out okay, we'd miss you here.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 11:12:44 AM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 06:23:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 6/2/2016 11:37 PM, HerHusband wrote:
I purchased four of the emergency lights several years ago. One died
completely after a couple years. A second one seems to have stopped
charging (never shows the green charged light anymore), but it still lights
up when the power goes out. The other two still work fine.

Still, they weren't that expensive and are handy to have when the power
goes out. Beats fumbling in the dark to find flashlights and candles.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

LED lights with coin cells are small enough to
put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small
light on your keys, or some where you have it
near you all the time.

Finally. Thank you.

I have a Lightwave LED mini flashlight that uses two 3volt coin cells I've had for at least 10 years. I keep it on a lanyard around my neck and always have a little light when I need to examine something up close. It doesn't have the latest super bright LED but the darn thing is indestructible and very reliable. ^_^

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightwave-Po...AOSwHjNV9eN b

http://tinyurl.com/z42czev

[8~{} Uncle Light Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2016 12:11 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 06:23:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

LED lights with coin cells are small enough to
put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small
light on your keys, or some where you have it
near you all the time.

Finally. Thank you.

Helps when Derby explains what your rambling meant.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 12:54 AM, HerHusband wrote:
LED lights with coin cells are small enough to
put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small
light on your keys, or some where you have it
near you all the time.

My keys are usually sitting on my dresser when I'm at home. When the power
goes off I'm usually on the other side of the house. A key ring light
would be of little use for me.

I have emergency lights plugged in various places around the house. When
the power goes out they come on automatically making it easy to navigate
through the house to get my other lights.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

If you want to be helpless in the dark, that's fine. If
you want to leave your keys across the house, that's your
choice. If you want to list the various reasons why you
can't carry a flash light, that's your choice.

I find a flash light on keys, or in pocket (and then
in hand) far more useful.

As for me, I prefer to recognize a good idea and
find ways TO carry a flash light.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default price of AAA alkaline

Don,

We've had so few, here, that they come as a real "surprise"!

We occasionally get what I call "annoyance" outages. That's when the power
blips off for a minute or two before coming on again. Just long enough to
screw up all the clocks in the house, annoying.

Thankfully, most of our clocks are battery operated now, and the UPS for my
computer sails right through those.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to be helpless in the dark, that's fine.

I'm not helpless in the dark, that's what the emergency lights are for.

They provide light for my wife and daughter too if I'm out of the house, or
sitting on the throne when the power goes out.

If you want to leave your keys across the house,
that's your choice.

Power outages are a rare thing. I don't want a big ring of 15+ keys in my
pocket all day for that rare situation. When I get home, the keys, wallet,
watch, change, etc. all get unloaded. I'm not packing that stuff around any
longer than I have to.

I find a flash light on keys, or in pocket (and then
in hand) far more useful.

These days it seems most people have grown a smart phone as another
appendage. These would make a serviceable flashlight in an emergency.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default price of AAA alkaline / HF free lights on lithium

The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode
an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

It has been many years since my electronics days, but I believe a diode
does have a fixed voltage drop. I think it's around .7 volts if I remember
correctly. So it does regulate the voltage in some respects.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband presented the following explanation :
The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode
an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

It has been many years since my electronics days, but I believe a diode
does have a fixed voltage drop. I think it's around .7 volts if I remember
correctly. So it does regulate the voltage in some respects.

Yes, that is a forward voltage drop across the junction. The voltage
depends on the materials used in the device. The regulation function of
a diode is usually a reverse voltage taking advantage of the breakdown
characteristic. IOW a reversed diode as a shunting device. The same can
be used as a reference diode to control a transistor regulator. Zener
diodes come to mind for this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Anthony,

On 6/4/2016 7:45 AM, HerHusband wrote:
We've had so few, here, that they come as a real "surprise"!

We occasionally get what I call "annoyance" outages. That's when the power
blips off for a minute or two before coming on again. Just long enough to
screw up all the clocks in the house, annoying.

I had an ISP thast must have been plagued with a similar problem
(or, a software bug) as I noticed that if I was pulling down an
ISO at certain times of the overnight that the connection would
"reset".

I knew it wasn't anything on my end (as I'd be sitting there,
at the time -- doubtful they had staff on site at all hours of the
night!)

Thankfully, most of our clocks are battery operated now, and the UPS for my
computer sails right through those.

I've been trying to replace all of our clocks with designs of my
own (I like clocks!). Part of the design process is to include
"time services" so they automatically track a common reference
(that *they* elect, if the previous "reference" is unavailable).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 8:01 AM, HerHusband wrote:
The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode
an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

It has been many years since my electronics days, but I believe a diode
does have a fixed voltage drop. I think it's around .7 volts if I remember
correctly. So it does regulate the voltage in some respects.

A "regular" silicon diode has *about* a 0.7V forward drop. Though the
actual drop is dependant on the current flowing through the junction (as
current increases, the drop increases -- but only slightly; not
proportionately as with a purely resistive device). There's a "knee"
in the V-I curve at that point (but, all knees are "rounded" to some
extent!)

LED's, OTOH, have a much higher forward drop. Some of the high efficiency
ones are as LOW at ~1.7-1.9V. Most, however, tend to be higher -- ~2.1
for Red/Yellow/Orange and closer to 3.4 for the Blue/White devices.

(Even these are just ballpark numbers as it depends on the dopants used)

Germanium ("Is there life on Germanium?") diodes have forward drops in the 0.2V
range. Schottky diodes are in the 0.15-0.45V range.

And, of course, you can get zeners at all sorts of voltage ranges (but, these
are operating in reverse bias when zenering)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 7:54 AM, HerHusband wrote:
If you want to be helpless in the dark, that's fine.

I'm not helpless in the dark, that's what the emergency lights are for.

I suspect most folks can find their way around their own home in TOTAL
darkness. If you can't, hope you never wake to a house full of smoke!

They provide light for my wife and daughter too if I'm out of the house, or
sitting on the throne when the power goes out.

Unless it's a new moon, there's usually enough light streaming in
through windows and skylights, here, to see -- once your eyes become
acclimated to the darkness.

If you want to leave your keys across the house,
that's your choice.

Power outages are a rare thing. I don't want a big ring of 15+ keys in my
pocket all day for that rare situation. When I get home, the keys, wallet,
watch, change, etc. all get unloaded. I'm not packing that stuff around any
longer than I have to.

Ditto. Wallet goes on the dresser, keyfob gets hung on a hook by the
entrance to the garage.

I find a flash light on keys, or in pocket (and then
in hand) far more useful.

These days it seems most people have grown a smart phone as another
appendage. These would make a serviceable flashlight in an emergency.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2016 12:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

Our utilities are below grade so seldom affected. Our last outage was
a distribution transformer for the neighborhood catching fire. Before
that, IIRC, a fire in a cable vault.

I watched construction in a new neighborhood a few years ago. They put
all utilities underground.

That'd be nice here, but this area is older.

In 20+ years, I think we've lost power 3 or 4 times. (lost natural gas
supply
once -- THAT was interesting!)

I lost natural gas once, because of a defective regulator that had to be
replaced. They had to purge the line at my water heater. I was there and
was surprised at how loud a noise the gas made when it came through.

[snip]

The last time I used a flashlight was to see how much gas was in a
little generator (a Honda EU2000i). At the time it was very sunny
outside, but I needed light INSIDE the tank.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2016 01:02 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 6/3/2016 10:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have a friend who frequently goes to dark places (while walking
dogs), and
often loses stuff (including keys). That is one reason I need to carry a
flashlight.

Shouldn't your *friend* be the one carrying the flashlight??

On the keyring with the lost keys.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2016 01:17 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Mentioned time I was in internal bathroom off locker room at local PAL.
Someone shut off the light and I would have been lost without the little
light. You don't expect problems like this during the day.

Generally, I don't turn off the light unless I turned it on and no one
has entered since. However, the problem DOES happen.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2016 05:14 PM, Tax Payer wrote:

[snip]

Our electric is on poles, the wires weave through miles of half-dead
maple trees. Consequently, every summer we get a thunderstorm or two
that takes out power for 2-5 days. Before power company deregulation, we
almost *never* had power outages...and when it did go out, the outage
lasted less than 6 hours. The idiots that passed the power deregulation
laws ought to be electrocuted!

I live in one of the few areas around here that don't have deregulation.
One difference is rates are much lower (I pay about half what people in
a nearby city pay).

BTW, when figuring rates, I skip all the misleading stuff and just
divide total bill by usage.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2016 11:48 PM, HerHusband wrote:
Our utilities are below grade so seldom affected.
In 20+ years, I think we've lost power 3 or 4 times.

I put all of "my" lines underground, but the power company's cables are all
on poles.

We typically lose power a few times each winter, usually due to wind storms
blowing trees onto power lines. Occasionally ice will take down a line, or
someone will take out a pole with their car.

Most outages only last a few hours, but once we had an outage that lasted a
day and a half.

Mostly like that here, but last year we had a 4-day outage.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2016 11:54 PM, HerHusband wrote:
LED lights with coin cells are small enough to
put one on key rings. It's wise to carry a small
light on your keys, or some where you have it
near you all the time.

My keys are usually sitting on my dresser when I'm at home. When the power
goes off I'm usually on the other side of the house. A key ring light
would be of little use for me.

At home, I try to keep a flashlight in a known location (2 flashlights
are better, in case one doesn't work). It's also easy to find since it's
next to the cable phone adapter (with battery and it's on a UPS).

I have emergency lights plugged in various places around the house. When
the power goes out they come on automatically making it easy to navigate
through the house to get my other lights.

I have an old UPS that won't put out much current, so it's no good for a
PC. However, it DOES work with a string of LED holiday lights, so it's
an emergency light as well as a hall light ("lilly's lights" named after
a small cat that slept in the hall).

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2016 06:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/3/2016 1:40 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode

Simple Definition of diode

: an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

A very simple definition that is sort of correct but leaves out a lot of
stuff.

A diode has a threshold voltage. It the supplied voltage is less than
that, there will be no current. Otherwise the diode will conduct. It
will conduct as much as needed to limit the voltage across it to the
threshold. This means a diode may conduct excessive current if nothing
is done to limit it. This is frequently a resistor in series.

An important thing about a diode is that the threshold is different for
each polarity. That simple definition is correct when the voltage is
between one threshold and the other.

When the diode is in series, it will have a voltage drop equal to the
threshold voltage (which threshold depends on polarity).

BTW, I know that semiconductor junctions are even more complex than that.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2016 09:45 AM, HerHusband wrote:
Don,

We've had so few, here, that they come as a real "surprise"!

We occasionally get what I call "annoyance" outages. That's when the power
blips off for a minute or two before coming on again. Just long enough to
screw up all the clocks in the house, annoying.

And reset all those "power amnesiacs", equipment that can't remember
it's supposed to be ON.

I have a LED light, that can be set to one of 7 colors. I prefer green
(which looks brightest), but when power is first applied it always comes
on white. However, in this case I find that useful. It's a power outage
indicator.

Thankfully, most of our clocks are battery operated now, and the UPS for my
computer sails right through those.

Not AC with battery backup. I find that those with battery backup are
usually slow on it, and so worse than no battery (wrong time not obvious
failure).

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 11:42 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/03/2016 12:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

Our utilities are below grade so seldom affected. Our last outage was
a distribution transformer for the neighborhood catching fire. Before
that, IIRC, a fire in a cable vault.

I watched construction in a new neighborhood a few years ago. They put all
utilities underground.

I think, overall, it is cheaper. Higher up-front costs but lower
maintenance costs.

That'd be nice here, but this area is older.

It's a mmixed bag, here. Some parts of town are crisscrossed (literally)
with hanging cables (at various heights and traveling in different directions).
Other areas are more "pristine".

In 20+ years, I think we've lost power 3 or 4 times. (lost natural gas
supply
once -- THAT was interesting!)

I lost natural gas once, because of a defective regulator that had to be
replaced. They had to purge the line at my water heater. I was there and was
surprised at how loud a noise the gas made when it came through.

We had a city-wide outage a few winters back. Too much demand for the
supply. I.e., you had gas -- but not enough flow to keep appliances
from shutting themselves down (safety). They eventually cut the
gas supply to certain parts of town so the rest of the town could have
gas at a usable pressure.

The last time I used a flashlight was to see how much gas was in a little
generator (a Honda EU2000i). At the time it was very sunny outside, but I
needed light INSIDE the tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 11:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/03/2016 01:02 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 6/3/2016 10:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have a friend who frequently goes to dark places (while walking
dogs), and
often loses stuff (including keys). That is one reason I need to carry a
flashlight.

Shouldn't your *friend* be the one carrying the flashlight??

On the keyring with the lost keys.

Just tell him/her to leave it ON so when the keys get misplaced,
they'll "light the way" to their retrieval!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 2:45 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/03/2016 01:17 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Mentioned time I was in internal bathroom off locker room at local PAL.
Someone shut off the light and I would have been lost without the little
light. You don't expect problems like this during the day.

Generally, I don't turn off the light unless I turned it on and no one
has entered since. However, the problem DOES happen.

I told the guy out in the gym that he should not have turned off the
light particularly when someone was still in there. He did not realize
he did it and it was his natural reaction to turn off the light. I was
beyond the set of lockers where the switch was so there was no one in
the room that he turned the light off in.

That little light died but a friend gave me a light that he had given to
employees and customers when he retired. Great on the key chain and
lots of light but batteries went and it would have cost me over $10 to
replace the lithium batteries. I prefer lights with AAA or AA batteries.

I hear about the Simply Safe home alarm system which you install
yourself and is cheap with no wiring. You can bet cost of battery
replacement is a big negative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2016 10:01 AM, HerHusband wrote:
The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode
an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

It has been many years since my electronics days, but I believe a diode
does have a fixed voltage drop. I think it's around .7 volts if I remember
correctly. So it does regulate the voltage in some respects.

The (forward) voltage drop depends on the semiconductor material. .7V
for silicon diodes, around 2V for LEDs.

Reverse voltage drop can vary greatly according to design. I've see
about 3V (for a LED) to 1KV (1N4007 IIRC).

With either polarity, voltage exceeding that will cause current to flow.
This is called "breakdown" and is not harmful unless the diode's maximum
current is exceeded. A LED is normally operated in forward breakdown
(necessary for it to light).

A diode is a voltage regulator. If you connect a LED (and nothing else)
to a car battery, the LED will try to bring the battery down to 2V, and
try to handle nearly infinite current. I did this once and didn't even
see any light before there was a POP and half the LED disappeared. You
need a resistor that drops the excess voltage (10V here) without
exceeding the LED current (typically 30mA).

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 3:23 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 6/4/2016 11:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/03/2016 01:02 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 6/3/2016 10:43 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have a friend who frequently goes to dark places (while walking
dogs), and
often loses stuff (including keys). That is one reason I need to
carry a
flashlight.

Shouldn't your *friend* be the one carrying the flashlight??

On the keyring with the lost keys.

Just tell him/her to leave it ON so when the keys get misplaced,
they'll "light the way" to their retrieval!

I nominate this for the post of the month.
Do I have a second?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 3:30 PM, Frank wrote:
I told the guy out in the gym that he should not have turned off the
light particularly when someone was still in there. He did not realize
he did it and it was his natural reaction to turn off the light. I was
beyond the set of lockers where the switch was so there was no one in
the room that he turned the light off in.

That little light died but a friend gave me a light that he had given to
employees and customers when he retired. Great on the key chain and
lots of light but batteries went and it would have cost me over $10 to
replace the lithium batteries. I prefer lights with AAA or AA batteries.

I hear about the Simply Safe home alarm system which you install
yourself and is cheap with no wiring. You can bet cost of battery
replacement is a big negative.

1) some fellows have little common sense
2) Dollar Tree and Harbor Freight some times
have lithium coin cells. Might not been ten
bucks in batteries.
3) Don't know about the Simpli Safe. But,
most likely you are right.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2016 01:15 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

Unless it's a new moon, there's usually enough light streaming in
through windows and skylights, here, to see -- once your eyes become
acclimated to the darkness.

If it's not too cloudy. Anyway, I try to take a flashlight while going
for a walk at night.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2016 02:30 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I hear about the Simply Safe home alarm system which you install
yourself and is cheap with no wiring. You can bet cost of battery
replacement is a big negative.

The "cost of battery replacement" is something I think of every time I
consider use of a battery-operated device in a fixed location. Some can
be modified to use an external power source. I do have one wired like
that now, a remote switch for "Lilly's lights".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 4:32 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/04/2016 02:30 PM, Frank wrote:

I hear about the Simply Safe home alarm system which you install
yourself and is cheap with no wiring. You can bet cost of battery
replacement is a big negative.

The "cost of battery replacement" is something I think of every time I consider
use of a battery-operated device in a fixed location. Some can be modified to
use an external power source. I do have one wired like that now, a remote
switch for "Lilly's lights".

I don't think of the "cost" in terms of the cost of replacement batteries
(which can be small, esp if using rechargeables).

But, rather, the cost in terms of inconvenience and (un)reliability
for a battery operated product. E.g., I won't purchase power handtools that
are battery operated. I want to KNOW that I can use a tool the moment I
take it off the shelf; the "inconvenience" of a cord is a non-issue.
Esp when contrasted with the inconvenience of having to wait for a battery
to charge *or* recharge while using the device (and, when the battery
ultimately fails is some time when you are USING the device).

The convenience of battery (portable) power can be obtained without
the RELIANCE on battery power!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 07:47:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 6/3/2016 1:40 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode

Simple Definition of diode

: an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

That's only half the definition. It has both forward and reverse
voltage drops, and forward current draw is determined by the voltage
drop and the supply voltage.

As long as the supply voltage does not excede the forward voltage
drop by ant significant amount, the current will remain within limits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:01:11 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode
an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

It has been many years since my electronics days, but I believe a diode
does have a fixed voltage drop. I think it's around .7 volts if I remember
correctly. So it does regulate the voltage in some respects.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Galium Arsenide Red is around .1.4 to 2.6 Red, yellow, green and
blue have higher forward drops in that order, up to about 3.8 for
ultra blue. The white ones are closer to 4 volts - 3.7 to 3.8 rings a
bell. A silicone diode is around.0.7 volts, and a Shotky diode is
closer to 0.3 or 0.4 volts. A galena diode only drops about 0.2, and a
selenium rectifier diode drops about 1 volt per cell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 8:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, rather, the cost in terms of inconvenience and (un)reliability
for a battery operated product. E.g., I won't purchase power handtools
that
are battery operated. I want to KNOW that I can use a tool the moment I
take it off the shelf; the "inconvenience" of a cord is a non-issue.
Esp when contrasted with the inconvenience of having to wait for a battery
to charge *or* recharge while using the device (and, when the battery
ultimately fails is some time when you are USING the device).

Depends on your needs. In a small shop or for bench work a cord is not
a big deal. Atop a ladder 200 feet from the nearest receptacle it sure
is handy to have battery operated tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 8:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/4/2016 8:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

But, rather, the cost in terms of inconvenience and (un)reliability
for a battery operated product. E.g., I won't purchase power handtools
that
are battery operated. I want to KNOW that I can use a tool the moment I
take it off the shelf; the "inconvenience" of a cord is a non-issue.
Esp when contrasted with the inconvenience of having to wait for a battery
to charge *or* recharge while using the device (and, when the battery
ultimately fails is some time when you are USING the device).

Depends on your needs. In a small shop or for bench work a cord is not a big
deal. Atop a ladder 200 feet from the nearest receptacle it sure is handy to
have battery operated tools.

That's why god invented portable gensets!

And, the genset will keep your frozen goods frozen regardless of how many
fully charged batteries you might have on hand!
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky[_3_] View Post
Why are AAA alkaline batteries as expensive as AA, per battery? I've
gotten AA as low as 20 cents a piece, but I don't need AA. I need AAA
and shouldn't they be cheaper since they're smaller.

Do people with little hands get paid more?

I think, the difference in price depends upon the manufacturer - they based it on the supply and demand of AA and AAA.

Last edited by NicholasMeleeMan : June 5th 16 at 05:17 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 4:24 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 06/04/2016 01:15 PM, Don Y wrote:

Unless it's a new moon, there's usually enough light streaming in
through windows and skylights, here, to see -- once your eyes become
acclimated to the darkness.

If it's not too cloudy. Anyway, I try to take a flashlight while going for a
walk at night.

Clouds are a rarity, here. Especially after dark.

We have no street lights (in the neighborhoods) but there's usually
enough ambient light that you don't need a supplemental light source.
Anything you'd need to be wary of (larger wildlife) tend to be shy.
And, those that aren't (rabid, etc.) are usually big enough that you
can see them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2016 11:34 PM, NicholasMeleeMan wrote:
'Micky[_3_ Wrote:
;3571053']Why are AAA alkaline batteries as expensive as AA, per
battery? I've
gotten AA as low as 20 cents a piece, but I don't need AA. I need AAA
and shouldn't they be cheaper since they're smaller.

Do people with little hands get paid more?

I think, the difference in price depends upon the manufacturer - they
based it on the supply and demand of AA and AAA.

I was in BJ's today. The packs of AA and AAA were the same price, but
the AA was a 40 pack while the AAA was a 34 pack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Bill M Moore, Esq.:
Yah, we got hundreds of companies trying to sell us electric power but not one helps put the lines back up after a storm.

Consider that the power company is losing revenue every minute those
lines are down.

Dunno about rural areas, but that is beeeeeg money in a
densely-populated area.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do people with little hands get paid more?

The presumptive Republication presidential candidate seems to be doing
pretty well... so maybe "yes".... -)
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/04/2016 07:12 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

I don't think of the "cost" in terms of the cost of replacement batteries
(which can be small, esp if using rechargeables).

I recognize that "cost" means a lot more than just money. That includes
the time it takes to replace the batteries, resetting the devices after
power loss, and maybe even environmental concerns (power inefficiency,
additional trash).

But, rather, the cost in terms of inconvenience and (un)reliability
for a battery operated product. E.g., I won't purchase power handtools
that
are battery operated. I want to KNOW that I can use a tool the moment I
take it off the shelf; the "inconvenience" of a cord is a non-issue.
Esp when contrasted with the inconvenience of having to wait for a battery
to charge *or* recharge while using the device (and, when the battery
ultimately fails is some time when you are USING the device).

Yes.

The convenience of battery (portable) power can be obtained without
the RELIANCE on battery power!

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"God is dead and no one cares" - Trent Reznor