Posted to alt.home.repair

Default price of AAA alkaline / HF free lights on lithium

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:01:11 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

The LED itself regulates voltage. That's what a diode does.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/diode
an electronic device that allows an electric current to flow in
one direction only

It has been many years since my electronics days, but I believe a diode
does have a fixed voltage drop. I think it's around .7 volts if I remember
correctly. So it does regulate the voltage in some respects.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Galium Arsenide Red is around .1.4 to 2.6 Red, yellow, green and
blue have higher forward drops in that order, up to about 3.8 for
ultra blue. The white ones are closer to 4 volts - 3.7 to 3.8 rings a
bell. A silicone diode is around.0.7 volts, and a Shotky diode is
closer to 0.3 or 0.4 volts. A galena diode only drops about 0.2, and a
selenium rectifier diode drops about 1 volt per cell.