Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns.... bring your own shower head

On 7/22/2015 5:23 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/22/2015 4:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I'd not want to hold the kids, fix meals, and scratch
my own nose with poopy hands.

--

When me or my brother traveled, we would take our

own shower heads and the tools to change them. I'd
remove the flow restricted motel shower head set it
aside, install my own, get a shower then reinstall
the motel's shower head. I suppose I'm weird because
I like to get clean not just wet. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster

gee ... I'll have to remember that one next time I travel. I could even
do that, I think.

I don't travel often, but I do surely despise the
low flow shower heads I've encountered. I'm surely
tempted to drill out a shower head from HD and put
in my travel bag. Along with some Rectorseal.

Channelocks already in the truck. I don't fly
commercial, some thing about non medical exams
gives me the creeps.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
When me or my brother traveled, we would take our
own shower heads and the tools to change them. I'd
remove the flow restricted motel shower head set it
aside, install my own, get a shower then reinstall
the motel's shower head. I suppose I'm weird because
I like to get clean not just wet. O_o

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger - I did the same thing for 30+ years.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....

On 7/22/2015 8:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/22/2015 12:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
The equivalent to that 25 mpg car in the 60s is now 40 mpg.

That full size Chevy Caprice that got 11 mpg is now getting 28 mpg and
is not stinking as much as the typical 50/60s cars.

My Sonata 2.0 Turbo will beat the older 10 mpg Cameros in the 1/4 mile
and still get 28 mpg.

I'm concerned about total weight, and crash worthiness.

Sonata has 5 star rating, cars from the 70's have no star ratings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns.... wash your hands, every time

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 7:13:32 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/22/2015 5:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 7:18:39 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd not want to hold the kids, fix meals, and scratch
my own nose with poopy hands.

--

When me or my brother traveled, we would take our own

shower heads and the tools to change them. I'd remove
the flow restricted motel shower head set it aside,
install my own, get a shower then reinstall the motel's
shower head. I suppose I'm weird because I like to get
clean not just wet. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster

I wish to formally apologize for all the times I
publically called you a stinky doo doo head on
this forum, my squeaky clean friend.

--
.

Simply fill out the apology form and post it online. The AP form is accepted in most jurisdictions. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Easy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

If residential water heaters were set as high as a commercial kitchen,
the dishwasher would work better but we are told to keep them luke
warm ... by the same DoE.

That recommendation is to prevent horrific scalding accidents, especially to
children. Take a look at some of these burns and perhaps you'll agree that
slightly cleaner dishes from much hotter water might not be worth the
societal trade-off of horribly burned children.

http://tinyurl.com/op7csgh

Each year, approximately 3,800 injuries and 34 deaths occur in the home
due to scalding from excessively hot tap water. The majority of these
accidents involve the elderly and children under the age of five. Most
adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150-degree water for two
seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140-degree
water or with a 30 second exposure to 130-degree water. Even if the
temperature is 120 degrees, a five-minute exposure could result in
third-degree burns.

http://www.cityoflewisville.com/index.aspx?page=319
http://www.cityoflewisville.com/modu...x?imageid=1184

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would be to
protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message

stuff snipped

A paper towel costs 150 times more than a sheet of toilet paper. It's
harder to rip off the roll with one hand, and paper towels fill a waste
basket in a hurry . . .
I'm going to find me a pecan stick so I can use a couple of pieces of
wire to hang a toilet paper roll. Then I'll have a state-of-the-art
toilet-paper-and-borax kitchen.

I mounted a toilet paper roll inside a kitchen cabinet door for the same
reason: Keeping as much grease as possible from going into the drain.
Cheaper than paper towels, that's for sure.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2015 9:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/22/2015 8:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm concerned about total weight, and crash worthiness.

Sonata has 5 star rating, cars from the 70's have no star ratings.

Sherman tanks probably have no star rating either,
but I'd drive one right over the top of that
Sonata without having to increase the idle speed
on the Sherman tank.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2015 8:58 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Stormin Mormon:
When me or my brother traveled, we would take our
own shower heads and the tools to change them. I'd
remove the flow restricted motel shower head set it
aside, install my own, get a shower then reinstall
the motel's shower head. I suppose I'm weird because
I like to get clean not just wet. O_o

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger - I did the same thing for 30+ years.

Technical note: The quote was written by
Uncle Clean Monster.

Stormy is an unwashed bachelor.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2015 10:08 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 7:13:32 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
When me or my brother traveled, we would take our own

shower heads and the tools to change them. I'd remove
the flow restricted motel shower head set it aside,
install my own, get a shower then reinstall the motel's
shower head. I suppose I'm weird because I like to get
clean not just wet. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster

I wish to formally apologize for all the times I
publically called you a stinky doo doo head on
this forum, my squeaky clean friend.

--
.

Simply fill out the apology form and post it online. The AP form is accepted in most jurisdictions. 8-)

[8~{} Uncle Easy Monster

Appears that (Pete Creswell) has been looking in
the shower, and has us confused. Wonders, I thought
you were the attractive one. Me, not so much.

I'll do my best with the apology form. In a few
days, for which I further apologize for the delay.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 01:38:56 -0400, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few

degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would be

protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

But it does explain why commercial dish washers work better with less
water.

Agreed. And you don't find very many kids or elderly people working in a
commercial kitchen. At least you're not supposed to find them there. So
it's not really an issue for them.

However, don't dishwasher have built-in heaters that can raise the
temperature of the wash water internally? Never owned one, so I am not sure
how they are designed. Not sure that heating water inside the unit is a
tradeoff worse than using too much water, though. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:03:51 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would be to
protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

If I don't have any children or elderly in my house,
why shouldn't I set the water heater wherever I like?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....shutdowns?

Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:10:50 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 10:29:30 AM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 21:51:08 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 15:22:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

"...The recent proposal from the Department of Energy is meant to
boost dishwasher efficiency by setting stricter limits on the amount
of water each dishwasher can use, among other changes. Under the
plan, washers could use only 3.1 gallons of water for a single load.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/20/federal-dishwasher-proposals-upset-appliance-industry-conservatives/v

https://tinyurl.com/nhsoupe

The department of energy is just one of numerous governmental agencies
that have long ago out lived their usefulness. That's assuming they
served a purpose to begin with. The market is more than capable of
determining what characteristics are desirable for a given product.

Don't even get me started on how useful the EPA, Dept of Labor, Dept
of education and Dept of HUD are. Not to mention the VA. Now you
really got me ****ed off!

Thanks, Oren!

And what's your problem with the VA ? You don't believe veterans deserve the
services they provide ?

I believe veterans deserve services better than the VA provides. My
complaint with the VA, as well as virtually all other govt agencies,
is they are not run nearly as well as comparable businesses in the
private sector.

If all of the bureaucrats that do nothing but consume tax dollars were
eliminated from the VA equation the services would greatly improve and
the costs would come down. In other words shift that responsibility to
the private sector and everyone would be better off.

Poor service is directly proportional to the number of Affirmative Action Morons in positions of power and responsibility. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Monster

I've been through several "government shutdowns". Ever hear the term
"non-essential"? Prisons got along just fine without redundant
positions -- like three associate wardens. At least my position was
"essential"

Essentially to keep them from escaping. G

IIRC weren't the furloughed people paid? (Paid vacation)

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....Brown water

Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 05:16:57 -0400, Joe wrote:

Yes, the food particles from the dishes don't pollute the water.
A dishwasher could use 20 gallons of water and if we didn't use detergent,
the waste water would do no harm to the environment.

Hmm. The best oranges I ever ate were from gray water for a leach
filed. People have freaked out about phosphates in detergent.

The septic tank cleaners around here used to spray the goodies on the
farmers fields with EPA approval. Then somebody came up with the heavy
metals scare, so that stopped. Now they use who knows what and the septic
guys take their **** to is anybodies guess.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....ABSCAM

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:01:25 -0400, Jack Kittoff
wrote:

I have the "pleasure" of driving by a congressman's house on my way to work.
Often his underground sprinklers are dumping a bazillion GPM on his lawn.
Good thing they mandated low-flow shower heads for us "little people" to use.

I had the pleasure to have a congressman (ABSCAM) clean pubic hairs
from prison toilets. Then he could make phone calls and tell his
family how he loved his job.

Did you give him tweezers, gloves? Was he from Philly?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....Clean up

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 7:18:39 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/22/2015 3:55 AM, wrote:
I can believe that. Our 1.6 gpf toilets do a great job of clearing the
bowl, but I always wonder about moving things down the line to the
street. I double flush often, not from need,, but for safety.
http://www.lowes.com/cd_Can+Your+Plumbing+System+Handle+a+LowFlow+Toile t_1350913159827_

Lowes says a waste pipe should work fine if the slope is between 1/8 and
1/4 inch per foot.

If the slope isn't right, you can have a plumber fix it or use a
pressure-assisted toilet.

That still may not help. I had a low flow that wouldn't flush a #2 so
I bought a pressure assist. That makes it go away but sometimes it
does not make it all the way. I tell everyone to be sure to wash their
hands ;-)

I hope you drilled out the flow restrictor aerator,
so you have some water flow to assist the toilet?

Washing hands with soap and water is a good idea
after a bowel movement, helps reduce the spread of
disease. I met a mom one time who said someone gave
her a really good idea, to wipe her own hands with
a diaper wipe after changing a baby poopy. I mentioned
that hand washing with soap and warm water would be
better.

I'd not want to hold the kids, fix meals, and scratch
my own nose with poopy hands.

--

When me or my brother traveled, we would take our own shower heads and the tools to change them. I'd remove the flow restricted motel shower head set it aside, install my own, get a shower then reinstall the motel's shower head. I suppose I'm weird because I like to get clean not just wet. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster

How about your douche bag? VBG

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....really OT

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And before the VA it was going on throughout the whole world.

It's the same old story: When the war is over the veterans are forgotten.
Probably no Americans in recent memory got worse treatment that the
Confederate vets because the South was so impoverished after the war. I
remember seeing the museum curator they often have on "Pawn Stars" talking
about how to tell a Confederate wooden leg from the much more elaborate
prosthetics used for Northern vets.

The winner gets to write history...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:48:54 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

I've been through several "government shutdowns". Ever hear the term
"non-essential"? Prisons got along just fine without redundant
positions -- like three associate wardens. At least my position was
"essential"

Essentially to keep them from escaping. G

IIRC weren't the furloughed people paid? (Paid vacation)

Yes they were paid, Salary was never interrupted. Employee salaries
come from the agency / facility budget... already built in. Staff
budgets cannot be moved or used for other purposes. "Man days" are
2,020 hours a year with sick leave, vacation leave factored in. But
yes, they got/get time off but never use /used any accrued leave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2015 3:55 AM, wrote:
[...]

I have to use an enema bag next week because doctors want to shove a camera up my tailpipe. That's going to be a lot of fun cleaning out the dirtiest place on earth. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2015 1:13 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I believe it was Margret Thatcher who said something

to the effect that,"The problem with Liberals is that

sooner or later, they run out of other people's money."

I'd like to see all those folks who are sweet on illegal

aliens to open up their homes and take in as many as

they can. I want them to put their money where their

mouth is. Those who want the government to pay for

this and that should show how generous they are and

send extra money in with their tax return. It's not

illegal to send more money to the treasury than what

the IRS requires of you. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Stingy Monster

There was one that went around a while back,
"adopt a detainee" about the Gitmo guys
being released.

Same concept.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2015 3:29 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
If I don't have any children or elderly in my house,
why shouldn't I set the water heater wherever I like?

Cindy Hamilton

Well, now, you wouldn't want to violate the
law, would you?

Surely, you don't want Jones to come back,
Squealer said, as he pranced back and forth
in his most convincing manner, wisking his
tail back and forth for emphasis.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have the "pleasure" of driving by a congressman's house on my way to work.
Often his underground sprinklers are dumping a bazillion GPM on his lawn.
Good thing they mandated low-flow shower heads for us "little people" to use.

I had the pleasure to have a congressman (ABSCAM) clean pubic hairs
from prison toilets. Then he could make phone calls and tell his
family how he loved his job.

Did you give him tweezers, gloves? Was he from Philly?

It's been many years ago. He was the guy that took a bribe,
undercover sting if I recall. Kept the money in the glove box but was
spending the money. Told FBI agents he was doing his own
investigation and needed money.

Phone call privileges are a powerful tool. Once I performed a
'Sidewalk Miracle'. The guy was on "strict bed rest" and had to be in
bed -- was trying to get out of work. Found out I denied him to make
a call. He threw down his crutches and ran towards the medical
department. So I called my wife and told her to take him off best
rest and I would have him escorted to work and he could make his phone
call on his off time.

You can't make this stuff up -- LOL at the memories.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:03:51 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few

degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would

be to
protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

If I don't have any children or elderly in my house,
why shouldn't I set the water heater wherever I like?

It sounds like you're never planning to be elderly or have youngsters or
elderly people as guests. Or get so sick that you might make a serious
mistake. I hope that works out for you! (-:

But seriously, keeping the tank set lower saves energy, too.

My question is what do you gain by amping up the temperature? Most people
almost always temper the hot water with cold water in order to use it. I
dropped my HW temp way back and I haven't noticed any serious problems. So
it seems to me raising the temperature of the water is wasteful because
you're going to temper it anyway to be able to use it.

I've been reading about life in the Old West and thank my lucky stars every
day that I can turn a tap and get hot water. Back in the old days hot water
was a very precious commodity and filling a bath tub with it took enormous
effort.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:18:54 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I have to use an enema bag next week because doctors want to shove a camera up my tailpipe. That's going to be a lot of fun cleaning out the dirtiest place on earth. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

That is old practice. I had my back orifice poked last summer. The
doc had a script for powder you mix, had to drink X ounces every 15
minutes or so. It made like a gallon and flavored like (bad)
lemonade.

Don't get far from the potty because that stuff WORKS. Doc gave me
"clean" bill of health. Said I done good. Now they put you out, not
like years ago where imaginations run wild

Then they did my throat orifice and later my nasal passages. Thumped
my heart with paddles. Hospital stay for 3 days. Can you hear
~$80,000 later? Plus we found fraudulent / duplicate charges on the
medical billings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have to use an enema bag next week because doctors want to shove a camera up my tailpipe. That's going to be a lot of fun cleaning out the dirtiest place on earth. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster

That is old practice. I had my back orifice poked last summer. The
doc had a script for powder you mix, had to drink X ounces every 15
minutes or so. It made like a gallon and flavored like (bad)
lemonade.

Don't get far from the potty because that stuff WORKS. Doc gave me
"clean" bill of health. Said I done good. Now they put you out, not
like years ago where imaginations run wild

Then they did my throat orifice and later my nasal passages. Thumped
my heart with paddles. Hospital stay for 3 days. Can you hear
~$80,000 later? Plus we found fraudulent / duplicate charges on the
medical billings.

6 months ago I had a camera down my throat then up my tailpipe. I hope it was done in that order. I was given the liquid to drink called "GoLYTELY" and it didn't do the complete job so I needed an extra power flush. I'm often told that I'm full of feces and that medical procedure proved it. I was out cold for the procedure so I didn't get to see my insides. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Camera Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

I have never understood where the heavy metal thing came from. Do that
many people eat heavy metals? Must be all of that Led Zeppelin they
listened to in the 70s.

There's gold in them there hills (of sludge)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0323075239.htm

In a recent Environmental Science & Technology paper another research
group also studying this issue calculated that the waste from 1 million
Americans could contain as much as $13 million worth of metals. That's money
that could help fuel local economies.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

My question is what do you gain by amping up the temperature? Most

people
almost always temper the hot water with cold water in order to use it. I
dropped my HW temp way back and I haven't noticed any serious problems.

So
it seems to me raising the temperature of the water is wasteful because
you're going to temper it anyway to be able to use it.

Back in the 70s when we were first told that 140-160 hot water setting
was wasting energy, health officials were saying if you had a dish
washer, the hotter water was important to sanitize your dishes. That
idea went by the wayside in the mean time.

That makes sense that dishes should be cooked at the same temperature as
meat to kill microbes. I would hope those germs never got to the dish in
the first place, but I did a stint as a dishwasher at IHOP many, MANY moons
ago and there's no telling what people put on their plates. (-:

I wondered why they didn't heat the water in dishwashers but I have
not heard of one that actually did it. It would be pretty easy since
there is already a 1kw heating element in there but it may be a
problem because a 15a circuit might not handle the heating element and
the motor at the same time.

That's probably the reason because if it really is necessary to raise the
temp to 160F, then someone would have done it by now just as a selling
point. I wonder, though, since most dish/flat ware is non-porous if it is
actually just as good to thoroughly strip the surfaces of any particles. I
sent a lot of dishes back through that had dried egg on them, one of the
most mucilaginous substances in the world.

The "economy" setting disables the heater anyway. Dishes air dry or
just stay wet in a humid climate.

And moldy if you leave them in the dark long enough. (0:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

stuff snipped

My wife has 2 commercial kitchens at the country club she runs so I am
sure I could get the real info from the chef. I just know the water in
the kitchen will scald you. They even piped a different hot water to
the hand sinks from the bathroom water heater as a safety thing.

We had the same setup at the photofinishing plant where the temperature of
the water was extremely important in thoroughly mixing the chemicals.

I wondered why they didn't heat the water in dishwashers but I have
not heard of one that actually did it. It would be pretty easy since
there is already a 1kw heating element in there but it may be a
problem because a 15a circuit might not handle the heating element and
the motor at the same time.

That's probably the reason because if it really is necessary to raise the
temp to 160F, then someone would have done it by now just as a selling
point. I wonder, though, since most dish/flat ware is non-porous if it

is
actually just as good to thoroughly strip the surfaces of any particles.

sent a lot of dishes back through that had dried egg on them, one of the
most mucilaginous substances in the world.

I suppose if they would spec these to only be used on 20a circuits you
could use the 1kw heater and the pump at the same time.
I am going to see if that is an option when I get a minute

The "economy" setting disables the heater anyway. Dishes air dry or
just stay wet in a humid climate.

And moldy if you leave them in the dark long enough. (0:

One of the reasons I don't like dish washers.
When I am using one in a house we rent on vacation I turn off all of
that "economy" stuff and the dishes come out steaming

I suspect another reason restaurants use ultra-hot water is that if you have
leftover food gunk on your home dishes, you don't get as grossed out by it
as a paying restaurant customer might.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/15 1:55 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"J Burns" wrote in message

stuff snipped

A paper towel costs 150 times more than a sheet of toilet paper. It's
harder to rip off the roll with one hand, and paper towels fill a waste
basket in a hurry . . .
I'm going to find me a pecan stick so I can use a couple of pieces of
wire to hang a toilet paper roll. Then I'll have a state-of-the-art
toilet-paper-and-borax kitchen.

I mounted a toilet paper roll inside a kitchen cabinet door for the same
reason: Keeping as much grease as possible from going into the drain.
Cheaper than paper towels, that's for sure.

Yeah, toilet tissue picks up grease better than water, and it takes up
very little space in the waste basket. Maybe I could sell those wads to
start charcoal fires!

I've been keeping a sprayer with borax by the sink a couple of months,
dispensing it several times a day. Last night I saw my first roach in a
long time. It was on the dining-room carpet. Their speed can be
frustrating for a hunter without a shotgun, so I got my sprayer and
turned the nozzle to squirt.

Borax won't hurt a carpet. It will kill a bug before long, but the
immediate effect is uncertain. It made him so slow that stepping on him
felt unsporting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've
tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally
clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to
chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there
anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't
a nasty acid of some sort?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:29:14 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've
tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally
clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to
chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there
anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't
a nasty acid of some sort?

When you get tired of spending money on products, various acids will
work. Why are you adverse to using acids? You could remove the
calcium in a minute or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/24/2015 1:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:29:14 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've
tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally
clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to
chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there
anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't
a nasty acid of some sort?

When you get tired of spending money on products, various acids will
work. Why are you adverse to using acids? You could remove the
calcium in a minute or two.

I don't want to damage anything accidentally by using an acid, but if
that's the only think that'll work, what would be the safest one to try
first?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"J Burns" wrote in message

[...]

I've used," The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner" and it has never failed to remove all sorts of crud from a toilet. I've also used "Vanish Crystals" on toilets that had been left dirty and dry for very long periods of time and it's brought the bowls back to a nice white sparkle. Unfortunately the Vanish Crystals cleaner has been discontinued. It must be one of those household chemicals that can be used to make explosives. ^_^

https://tinyurl.com/pet7bml

https://tinyurl.com/os42kns

[8~{} Uncle Toilet Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:45:04 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/24/2015 1:42 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 13:29:14 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I have this stubborn calcium deposit stuck to my toilet bowl, and I've
tried everything I can find off the store shelves that I'd normally
clean it with and nothing seems to work. I actually got some of it to
chip off, but it's a pain to even get that to come off. Is there
anything safe I can use that'll dissolve the calcium deposits that isn't
a nasty acid of some sort?

When you get tired of spending money on products, various acids will
work. Why are you adverse to using acids? You could remove the
calcium in a minute or two.

I don't want to damage anything accidentally by using an acid, but if
that's the only think that'll work, what would be the safest one to try
first?

White vinegar is the mildest to start. Is the calcium under the water
line? Under the rim, clogging the rim jets?

You can progress to others but two cups of pool (muriatic acid) acid
poured in the bowl, brushed around with a nylon toilet brush and then
neutralized with baking soda before you flush -- in case you are on a
septic system or cast iron sewer lines.

More details are needed.

See "Method 2 of 2: Muriatic Acid Method"

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/15 4:41 PM, wrote:
I have never understood where the heavy metal thing came from. Do that
many people eat heavy metals? Must be all of that Led Zeppelin they
listened to in the 70s.

Some could come from plumbing or motor oil washed down sewers.

Years ago, the Sunday newspaper magazine had an interview with a
nationally know endocrinologist who said Americans were getting half the
magnesium they were getting in 1911, and they probably weren't getting
enough then. He said every age-related disease is associated with low
magnesium. Endocrinology went so far as to advocate adding it to water
supplies.

Other branches of medicine ignore magnesium in favor of costly patented
drugs. For example, in the 1950s, a Scandinavian heart doctor found that
intravenous Epson salt reduced heart-attack mortality from 20% to 2%.
Other heart doctors got similar results. They found that it was
important to administer it quickly, and too strong a solution could be
harmful. For 40 years, that two-cent "miracle drug" was kept on hospital
crash carts.

In the 1990s, Bayer, who made costly heart drugs, sponsored a worldwide
study that affected 50,000 victims. Their protocol called for a
solution that had been proved too strong, and a delay of up to 24 hours.
Naturally, the results weren't good. Heart doctors read the results and
quit using magnesium, which helped Bayer's profits.

One way the body uses magnesium is to get rid of heavy metals. We were
told mad cow disease was caused by an infectious organism that survives
incineration. If it survives incineration, it's not an organism. They
were hiding the fact that the outbreaks happened in herds where the UK
government had mandated systemic insecticide. In the brain, copper, a
heavy metal, formed destructive molecules. A farmer protected his cattle
by getting a lawyer and refusing to apply the poison to his herd. He
then purchased two cows. When he found they were "infected," he added
Epsom salt to their drinking water. One returned to normal. The other's
brain didn't heal, but he stopped the progression of the disease.

Similar brain-wasting diseases affect deer, sheep, and humans only in
areas deficient in magnesium. Manganese is the usual culprit, but it's
harmless if the animal has adequate magnesium. That's why wolves who eat
"infected" deer don't get the disease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-24, J Burns wrote:

In the 1990s, Bayer.....

Dirtbags from the git.

Isn't magnesium the med we need, but there's a limit to how much you
can buy as a supplement?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/24/2015 2:45 PM, Muggles wrote:

I don't want to damage anything accidentally by using an acid, but if
that's the only think that'll work, what would be the safest one to try
first?

Before you rent a jack hammer from McLowesDepotBigBoxMart, maybe try some vinegar.

http://www.thechemicalblog.co.uk/how...as-a-descaler/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/24/2015 1:42 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

gee ... that sounds dangerous for me to try, anyway. I'm thinking that
trying a less dangerous acid might be better for me.

--
Maggie