Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....

On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 6:06:25 AM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
On 7/29/15 11:49 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:02:51 PM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
On 7/23/15 1:13 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I believe it was Margret Thatcher who said something to the
effect that,"The problem with Liberals is that sooner or later,
they run out of other people's money." I'd like to see all those
folks who are sweet on illegal aliens to open up their homes and
take in as many as they can. I want them to put their money where
their mouth is. Those who want the government to pay for this and
that should show how generous they are and send extra money in
with their tax return. It's not illegal to send more money to the
treasury than what the IRS requires of you. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Stingy Monster

Traditionally, liberalism has wanted more freedom for all, as
opposed to privilege for the few. When Thatcher came along, British
liberalism had become the special-interest party, serving those who
could pull strings. Take Robert Maxwell, billionaire crook, KGB
agent, and tyrannical boss who did everything he could against
labor unions. He was elected a Liberal MP.

I was a young Liberal in my college years but soon after I left
school, I grew out of Liberalism and have become more Conservative
over the years. When I was a kid in college I tried to keep up with
what was going on around the world and would head for the library to
read different periodicals. The Internet was decades away and finding
different points of view in news sources was quite difficult. The
only TV news was from ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. There was no Fox or CNN
and talk radio was something you listened to late at night. What I
really find disturbing about young folks these days is their absolute
ignorance of everything when there is an unlimited source for
information on an infinite number of things via The Internet. The
only thing I can surmise from their behavior is that their minds have
been corrupted by the Progressive Liberal Leftists Commiecrat Freaks
who've infested the educational system for decades. The most damaging
and tragic consequence of this infiltration of schools is, "The
Dumbassification Of America". I watched it happen from the time I was
a kid in school. When I left college, I had a difficult time carrying
on an intelligent conversation with most high school students because
they only understood every other word I said. Some time later I
noticed the same thing with college students and the most depressing
thing was that some years later it was adults who were almost
completely illiterate. This was in the early days of The Internet but
these days I see more and more adults accessing information on The
Internet causing them to question what the government is up to which
gives me hope that the country may yet recover. The grownups are
going to have to head to the polls in mass and perhaps the right
people can be elected. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hopeful Monster

I don't see things in terms of political colors. I see them in terms of
allegiance, paying lip service to human authority. Kids are taught
that's the difference between dumb kids and smart kids. Teachers
present themselves as authority. They have to dumb things down so kids
can easily respond with lip service, which matters more than
comprehension. Kids learn to be inarticulate so authority can't fault
their opinions.

The authority of classmates, or a particular peer group, may have
different standards than the teacher, about what opinions are smart. The
successful student is two-faced.

Melville said he was a savage because he lacked allegiance. He said men
away at sea a long time get like that. Some say the movie Hombre is
revisionist history. I don't think it was intended as history any more
than Moby Dick. It pulled the veil off civilization. Newman's character
had a savage identity and a civilized identity. He showed his savagery
by refusing to pay lip service to civilized values. In the end, all the
civilized people demanded that the hostage be rescued, but none was
willing. Lip service.

Politics is like that. On the ship, I found that management considered
me a left-winger and labor considered me a right-winger. That's what
happens when you don't pay lip service.

When we were six years old, me and my brother decided all grownups were full of crap and the nuns hated my guts because I made the mistake of questioning everything I was told especially when it involved Catholicism. As I got older and fell in love with reading and libraries, I read everything I could get my hands on and it only reinforced my belief that everything grownups were telling me was a load of male bovine droppings. I'm glad I never outgrew my opinion of grownups. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Irascible Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns.... calcium deposits need acids

On 7/29/2015 6:35 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 7/28/15 7:07 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 4:22:54 AM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

I'm sure I used less than that. My approach was to try an ounce or
so at a time, come back with a brush, and flush. That way I
wouldn't tie up the toilet more than a couple of hours, and I could
see the progress by what the brush churned up.

I've had that quart can 30 years, so it's very cheap to use. If I
run out, it's available a couple of blocks away.

No fumes, no worry about getting it on my hands, no worry about my
iron waste pipes, no worry about safe storage or disposal.

I've looked for definitive word that muriatic acid won't harm
toilet porcelain. So far I haven't found it.

A new car is easy to wash. As the finish ages, it can be harder
to clean. I want my toilet as slick and easy to clean as possible.

if your trying to clean the bowl rim, a ounce is a waste of your
time, a quart far better, wait 15 minutes, then flush 10 times. this
dilutes the acid and moves it all out of the cast iron lines.

or just go buy a toilet, thats another solution. although if you
toilet is a water waster thats old, the new one might not work as
well........

Did I say I had any trouble with the rim? Why would I buy muriatic acid
or a new toilet when the old one flushes like new?

When I reached the point where Maggie is, with a small deposit
remaining, another ounce of CLR finished the job.

update:

I got some muriatic acid and used it on the deposit in the bottom (after
removing the water) and I left it there for a few hours. When I
re-filled the tank and flushed there was still some calcium deposit
where the bottom water jet hole is at even though a good majority of it
had dissolved. That's stubborn stuff!! I'm going to try again this
afternoon to get the last of it with some muriatic acid.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2015 6:06 AM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Is not paying lip service the same thing as not being willing to kiss
anyone's butt? That's my biggest fault, er, I get blamed for not being
pc enough.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/2015 2:28 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/29/2015 6:35 PM, J Burns wrote:

When I reached the point where Maggie is, with a small deposit
remaining, another ounce of CLR finished the job.

update:

I got some muriatic acid and used it on the deposit in the bottom (after
removing the water) and I left it there for a few hours. When I
re-filled the tank and flushed there was still some calcium deposit
where the bottom water jet hole is at even though a good majority of it
had dissolved. That's stubborn stuff!! I'm going to try again this
afternoon to get the last of it with some muriatic acid.

I hope that works well, for you. Sounds like the
stronger acid was needed. Such is life.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/15 3:00 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

We moved at the end of 3rd grade. The start of 4th grade was my first
chance to make friends. The second day of class, the teacher made an
angry speech, saying kids who came from other states thought they knew
more than local kids. I was baffled. I wanted to know what the other
kids knew. It hadn't occurred to me that I might know what they didn't.
There she was, telling them to hate me. At that age, they ignored her.
I did fine, socially.

My 5th-grade teacher often made remarks to show the others she detested
me. I didn't know why. I just wanted to get along.

My 6th-grade teacher seemed benign to us all. I thought I finally had a
teacher who didn't hate me. One winter afternoon, she told me to open my
desk. There were ten papers stacked inside. She told me to clean out my
desk before the end of the day. It was bizarre that she wanted my desk
empty, that she singled me out, that she chose a time when we were
supposed to be doing something else, and that she implied I should do it
later.

An hour later, as we waited for the bell, she asked ominously, "You
haven't touched your desk, have you?" That made my head spin because I
couldn't remember what she meant. I was supposed to feel guilty when
addressed like that, but why? I made the only honest, polite response I
could: "Well, I am touching it..."

The class roared. I realized why. They didn't know what she meant,
either, and they knew what it was like to have an adult blame them for
something they didn't understand.

I'd thought my reply would be her opening to clarify her accusation.
She simply told me to stay after school. I realized her telling me to
clean out my desk had been a setup. She'd known I'd forget.

As soon as the others left, she was livid, ranting about how there was
something very obnoxious about me, and she couldn't put her finger on
it, but I knew what I was doing and she wanted it stopped. She said my
response about touching my desk was an example.

I had no idea what she was talking about, but saying so would have been
socially unacceptable. She was in authority and she said I did. I bit
my lip as she went on and on in her rage. I'd long suspected adults were
crazy. She was clearly paranoid, imagining I was out to get her.

It took many years to figure it out. By 6th grade, a kid is expected to
know truth is about pleasing authority, whether it's a teacher or a peer
group. If her tone said I was at fault, I was supposed to feel scared
and at fault for not knowing what she meant. She was so much into
imposing her script that she was the only one in the room who didn't
comprehend my innocent response. Obnoxious!

I usually kept quiet in class. When I raised my hand, it was because
I'd thought of something that seemed pertinent. I'd get a good response
from classmates but not teachers. At the time, it didn't occur to me
that teachers didn't know what I was talking about. They were too much
into their lesson plan, their script.

As Dragline said, "Back sass a boss and you spend the night in the box."
Schools were prisons and our prime directive was lip service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/15 8:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/30/2015 2:28 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/29/2015 6:35 PM, J Burns wrote:

When I reached the point where Maggie is, with a small deposit
remaining, another ounce of CLR finished the job.

update:

I got some muriatic acid and used it on the deposit in the bottom (after
removing the water) and I left it there for a few hours. When I
re-filled the tank and flushed there was still some calcium deposit
where the bottom water jet hole is at even though a good majority of it
had dissolved. That's stubborn stuff!! I'm going to try again this
afternoon to get the last of it with some muriatic acid.

I hope that works well, for you. Sounds like the
stronger acid was needed. Such is life.

I suppose mineral deposits in a toilet are likely to be calcium
carbonate or magnesium carbonate. I suppose they form from calcium or
magnesium ions in the water and carbon dioxide that the water absorbs
from the air.

A weak solution of vinegar will eat away those chemicals. If I were in a
hurry, I would use muriatic acid. It comes from the can more
concentrated, and it is capable of forming a concentration of ions a
hundred times stronger than acetic acid. But if I were in a hurry, I'd
hit it with a brush every few minutes. If it sits, I believe the process
will form a film on the deposit, slowing the action of the acid.

Each time I brushed, the water turned dark and cloudy. I didn't want
that stuff to remain on the deposit I wanted the acid to remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns....Brown water

tony944:

Instead of suing the govt perhaps you
should listen to Pacifica Radio(WBAI)
more often.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2015 3:34 AM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you wrote. I remember one very
profound thing similar to what you shared, but it had to do with the
willingness of kids to follow the group just so they could fit in. The
lengths they'd go to only showed me just how little thought they put
into so many of their actions. I remember that day clearly as being the
day I made a decision to never do anything just because it seemed like
the popular thing to do, to question everything and everyone if
something didn't feel right to me, and to stand my ground on any issue I
had put a lot of thought into regardless of what other people tried to
do to me to pressure me to change my position. I suppose I'm a
non-conformist today because of that moment when I was a kid. I'd rather
think for myself then follow any crowd just to be accepted.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/15 1:27 AM, Muggles wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you wrote. I remember one very
profound thing similar to what you shared, but it had to do with the
willingness of kids to follow the group just so they could fit in. The
lengths they'd go to only showed me just how little thought they put
into so many of their actions. I remember that day clearly as being the
day I made a decision to never do anything just because it seemed like
the popular thing to do, to question everything and everyone if
something didn't feel right to me, and to stand my ground on any issue I
had put a lot of thought into regardless of what other people tried to
do to me to pressure me to change my position. I suppose I'm a
non-conformist today because of that moment when I was a kid. I'd rather
think for myself then follow any crowd just to be accepted.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2010/05/04/Truth-remains-elusive-for-survivors-families-of-Kent-State-victims/stories/201005040300

Kent State's claim to fame is the annual commemoration. Allison Krause
might be considered their posthumous guest of honor, but her mother and
sister aren't welcome.

The sister says everything the history books say about Kent State, is
wrong. I agree. It's a myth of patent lies. For example, a student was
shot in the back as he photographed the guardsmen. The history books
say they shot him. The whole myth is like that, and America loves it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2015 7:38 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/1/15 1:27 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

sigh I feel for them.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.networx.com/article/commo...w-flow-toilets
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2015 11:09 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
http://www.networx.com/article/commo...w-flow-toilets

Last summer, my church had the sewer system clog,
twice. Second time was about two weeks after the
first.

The building has 10 low flow toilets, and four
urinals. The drain goes maybe 500 or so feet,
and ties into another drain.

First clog was Saturday night, during a social.
Second was Sunday morning, during services. Two
congregations overlap schedules, and about 450
people in the building. After the second, they
ran a camera down the drain (after the water jet
cleared the blockage) and found no obvious problems.

We suspect low flow toilets may have contributed.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 7:02:58 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/2/2015 11:09 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
http://www.networx.com/article/commo...w-flow-toilets

Last summer, my church had the sewer system clog,
twice. Second time was about two weeks after the
first.

The building has 10 low flow toilets, and four
urinals. The drain goes maybe 500 or so feet,
and ties into another drain.

First clog was Saturday night, during a social.
Second was Sunday morning, during services. Two
congregations overlap schedules, and about 450
people in the building. After the second, they
ran a camera down the drain (after the water jet
cleared the blockage) and found no obvious problems.

We suspect low flow toilets may have contributed.

--
.

I always flush twice because I'm so full of crap, as many people have told me over the years. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Poop Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:09 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

All this talk about toilets reminds me of the issue I had with mine and
that calcium stuff on it. Well, the update is I finally had time to do
another treatment with the muriatic acid on the bottom where that water
flow jet is all. It was clogged with calcium buildup and for a long
time was difficult to get to flush. I'd have to plunge it every time,
just about because the water wouldn't swirl hardly with nothing in it,
let alone if you came to visit and dropped some ready mix there. HAHA!

I left the acid in the bottom and kept going back and scrubbing with a
small brush to remove what I could and the little bit of water left
there got so dark after a couple of hours I couldn't tell if it had
removed all of it or not. So, I refilled the water tank and flushed
after one last scrub and it was like night and day difference. The
bottom water jet had cleared of the calcium buildup and the toilet now
flushes great! I'm still going to have to do one last acid treatment
because there's still a little bit of the calcium left on the porcelain,
but now I won't have to replace the toilet because it flushes now.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone on how to use this muriatic acid
stuff. I was a bit cautious about using acid because I'd never used it
before, but with everyone's advice it encouraged me to go ahead and give
it a try. ヽ(—‰—¡—”)ノ

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 11:07:21 AM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

dont forget the crud you can see at the entrance is present all thru the trap built into the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 10:32 AM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I could tell that when I would push the little brush into the water jet
hole to scrub it. When I finally did flush it a large ball of gunk came
out of that area. I kept pushing the acid into the hole as I'd scrub
it. I'm very happy I tried the muriatic acid. I used heavy duty rubber
gloves and was very careful not to splash it onto anything, too. Even
with the little bit of calcium left that I can see the toilet flushes
like a new one now. I'm very happy! I don't have to replace it. (—•€¿—•œ¿)

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 10:07:16 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

Now use a funnel, place into to the overflow tube in the tank. Pour a
quart of MA down (no need to drain the tank or bowl) ... let that sit
a couple of hours to clear the cooties out of the bowl rim and jets.

Turn on the fan and close the door. If you get fizzing in the bowl, do
not worry - it will stop - it's just calcium in the hard water. Soft
water will not fizz like hard water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

hmm I thought I read somewhere that sometimes pouring the MA down the
tank overflow tube can sometimes eat away as the gaskets, or am I
thinking of something else? That's one reason I've hesitated to do that
with the overflow tube.

The rim jets are clear as far as what I can see, but I understand what
you mean by cleaning out the cooties from the inside of the jets. I
thought about putting a funnel into the bottom jet so I could get the MA
into the hole and clean it out better that way. One other thing is that
my bathroom fan has quit working recently and needs replacing. It's on
the TO DO list, and there's no window in that bathroom to vent.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 12:52:47 -0500, Muggles wrote:

[...]

I've never had a problem with anything in my former rental homes I
bought and owned, None on my resident home or homes I used the method
on when I used to do property detailing for real estate agents. No
harm with MA in the pool equipment - O-rings, etc.

Pour a couple of quarts of water down the tube and see just how fast
it exists the rim jets. MA will be just as fast - very little chance,
if any, of harm by the acid.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 1:27 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'll go ahead and give it a try then.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 12:52:56 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

The fans are usually very easy to service and repair. The motors are easy to change and the life of the original motor can often be extended by removing it from the fan housing and injecting oil into the felt oil reservoirs in the bearing housings on either end of the motor. If you could post a picture of the fan you have without the plastic cover, I could tell much more about the one you have and how to repair it. Brand name helps too. (€¢ —¡€¢)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwduJeGiTnM

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

hmmm That might be tricky because I had to cover it with some
insulation (temporarily) because heat was coming into the bathroom from
the attic from the thing. I think the last time I turned it on, which
was when I noticed it wasn't working, that maybe something didn't close
and that's why so much attic hot air is getting into the bathroom. Now
that it's covered, the bathroom is much cooler. I was thinking of
waiting until the weather cools off a bit more before I try to get it
fixed because the attic is just so hot right now.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

It's unusual that hot air would be coming in through the exhaust fan because there is supposed to be an airflow operated damper that will close when the fan is turned off. The excess heat coming into the fan housing could be responsible for drying out the oiled felt in the bearing housings causing the fan to seize up. If you do tinker with the fan, make sure that damper is working. It can round or rectangular depending on the model. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ardjP8Qso8

[8~{} Uncle Hot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/15 1:27 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

She's Barry Levine's claim to fame.
http://may41970.com/May%204,%202000/30th%20Commemoration%20Report/Speeches/BarryLevineForAllison.htm

Levine was a hateful, unpopular freshman. He has no shame in lying
about her, saying she was cursing and stoning the soldiers, and they
conspired to shoot her in the back.

What witnesses told Ohio reporters and FBI agents paints an entirely
different picture. When a close friend asked why she was going with
Levine, she said it was parental pressure.

The evening before, dorms were on lockdown because of mobs, mostly
outsiders. When students in a lobby saw her fleeing a mob, they unlocked
the door and let her in. Levine and 30 others forced their way in, in
pursuit. Levine got his ass kicked. It wouldn't have been safe for her
to return to her dorm. She took the elevator to her best friend's room,
where she spent the night. She phoned her mother to say she was scared.

In the morning, Levine visited and spent three hours. He persuaded her
to meet him on Blanket Hill at the time of the demonstration. (I think
he agreed not to attend the demonstration if she would meet him
elsewhere.) She invited her best friend, who was afraid to leave her room.

On her way, she passed the rock-throwing demonstrators. Video supports
eyewitness accounts. She walked in front of the mob, paused, and spoke
to people she recognized. That quelled the rock throwing. Then she
rushed off as if late for an appointment.

Howard Ruffner took photos for Life Magazine. As the soldiers approach
the top of the hill, she stands facing them as if waiting to say hi.
Like most students, she seems to have felt they had come for public
safety. She is nicely dressed. She is unaware that on her left, Levine
has turned left and started to run. He has grabbed her left wrist,
jerking her off balance. With his left hand, he gives the soldiers his
antisocial finger gesture.

A minute later, she was shot in the parking lot, 100 yards away. She'd
agreed to met him on the hill, and he'd dragged her to the parking lot
just in time to be shot.

Witnesses say she stood facing the troops when shot. As students hit the
ground or ducked behind cars when the shooting started, she must have
been shot at the outset. Levine said he was on the pavement beside her.
He must have known the danger before she did. He'd pulled her to that
spot. He'd felt that he'd be in mortal peril standing beside her, but he
hadn't pulled her down.

The autopsy showed she was shot from the left, not from the direction of
the troops she was facing.

Of the six who were killed or crippled, all were shot from the west, the
direction of the basketball arena, within 200 yards. The school and the
national media have covered that up. For example, Schroeder, the ROTC
scholar, was shot in the back. They say his roommate said he must have
been running away, treating the spur-of-the-moment conjecture of someone
who was not a witness, as established fact. The bullet entered his lower
back, went through his lung, and exited his shoulder. He was prone, and
he was between parked cars. If a soldier's bullet had somehow gone
through a row of cars, it would have hit him from the left side, not
from the direction of his feet, which were toward the arena.

Besides the six, seven more were reported wounded. Two were shot from
behind as they watched the troops. That leaves five. Two soldiers shot
one, whose parents told him they had no sympathy because it was
self-defense. Another was hit in the knee on his way to class. The
bullet broke his tibia, but the wound was so slight that he thought it
was buckshot. If it had been an M-1 round, with twice the power of Dirty
Harry's 44 Magnum, the damage would have been horrifying, but all he
needed was a few days on crutches.

The other 3 were SDS members who disappeared a moment before the
shooting, then said they'd come back out just in time to be shot. They
said their booboos were buckshot wounds. Told the soldiers had no
buckshot, they said they'd been shot by M-1's. Alan Canfora was one. He
said he was shot through the wrist by an M-1. Later, when he noticed it
was bleeding, he walked a couple of blocks to rinse it in a water cooler.

In view of the power of the weapon, that's ludicrous. What's more,
disappearing to get a booboo shows advance knowledge. The school is so
into propagating the lie that they hired him as a reference librarian
for their exhibit. One of the two shot and crippled from the direction
of the arena was his roommate. Canfora uses that as his claim to fame,
but unlike Krause, his roommate is alive to refute statements made on
his behalf.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/15 11:07 AM, Muggles wrote:

[...]

I'm glad I got a Bill Clinton low-flow toilet, even if he was a snobby
chickenhawk draft dodger. It has no jet hole at the bottom. Maybe
periodic wiping with an abrasive pad and CLR has kept the rim jets clean.

I check mine with a stopwatch. It takes 6-7 seconds from the time I
push the lever until it gurgles. If it's any slower, I know something is
wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/15 2:07 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/26/2015 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:18:55 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/26/2015 11:40 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:05:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Used to be, Dollar Tree had bowl cleaner with
hydrochloric acid. Might be cheaper. But, try
the stuff you already got, it's likely to work
just fine.

The Zep toilet cleaner I mention before has hydrochloric acid:

INGREDIENT Water (Solvent); Hydrochloric Acid (pH Adjuster); C9-11
Alcohols Ethoxylated 4- 6EO (Surfactant – Emulsifying Agent); Xanthan
Gum (Thickener); Alkyl C12-16 Dimethylbenzylammonium Chloride
(Surfactant - Cationic); Methyl Salicylate (Fragrance Component); Acid
Blue 93 (Colorant)

Instructions Avoid contact with chrome, brass, decorative metal
surfaces, marble, clothing, carpeting, toilet seat and lid. TOILET
BOWLS: Apply under rim and around sides. Allow product to work for 5
minutes. Scrub entire surface and flush to rinse. More severe stains
may require a repeat treatment. URINALS: Remove screens or strainers.
Apply at least four ounces around edges and top, allowing the product
to flow down over surfaces. Wait 5 minutes before scrubbing, then
flush to rinse.

http://zepcommercial.com/product/Acid-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner

hmm So, is a product that has h. acid in it better than just using
muriatic acid by itself? (even though muriatic acid is another name for
h.acid)

Several websites said something similar to this: "Muriatic Acid is the
old name for HCl, before we understood atomic theory - OR - muriatic is
the common name for industrial, or less pure, grades of hydrochloric acid".

Does this mean that h. acid is stronger than muriatic acid?

I'll defer to those best qualified to decide the merits

That's what I'm trying to figure out. LOL Does 'industrial/less pure'
mean better/worse than? I dunno! Less pure doesn't necessarily mean it
doesn't work better. Right?

At one time, muriatic acid was made from brine. Maybe it still is.
Muriatic acid is sold for cleaning, where impurities won't hurt. In the
case of Zep, the "impurities", such as surfactants, help it clean.

I don't keep hydrochloric acid. If I need it to clean, I use vinegar
and salt. That produces muriatic acid that's mostly "impurities."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 09:07 AM, Muggles wrote:
Thanks for all the advice from everyone on how to use this muriatic acid
stuff. I was a bit cautious about using acid because I'd never used it
before, but with everyone's advice it encouraged me to go ahead and give
it a try.

A lot of the toilet bowl cleaners are hydrochloric acid. Same stuff.
Same stuff as is in your stomach, come to think of it.

Phosphoric acid will work too and is less aggressive. Coca-Cola's
rumored ability to remove rust is probably from the phosphoric acid in
it. It's a very low concentration but there have been some studies
linking it to osteoporosis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 6:47 PM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

I'm just happy it flushes now. LOL

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

ahh ok ... I didn't know that. Thanks!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 9:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/03/2015 09:07 AM, Muggles wrote:
Thanks for all the advice from everyone on how to use this muriatic acid
stuff. I was a bit cautious about using acid because I'd never used it
before, but with everyone's advice it encouraged me to go ahead and give
it a try.

A lot of the toilet bowl cleaners are hydrochloric acid. Same stuff.
Same stuff as is in your stomach, come to think of it.

Phosphoric acid will work too and is less aggressive. Coca-Cola's
rumored ability to remove rust is probably from the phosphoric acid in
it. It's a very low concentration but there have been some studies
linking it to osteoporosis.

I gave up drinking pop some years ago, but on a rare day I might have me
a dr. pepper. Last bone density test I had my bones were in the way
above average for being healthy, so I guess laying off the pop helps.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

hmm The one in my bathroom kind of looks like this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-QTX...10HL/202079310

It has a light in the middle and on either side it has louvers. When
it's turned on it runs the fan, light, and a heater at the same time.
The switch on the wall is a dial that I turn with a timer for goes up to
30 mins. I can still turn it on, and the light works, but the fan
doesn't run.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
[...]

If you look at the round black part, you'll see a flap inside the opening. That's the damper which is supposed to be closed when the fan isn't running to prevent back-drafts. Those fans are very easy to repair and you may look up your manufacturer and model number on YouTube to see if someone has a how to repair video on yours or a model close to it. \ (€¢—¡€¢) /

[8~{} Uncle Repair Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Appliance industry warns.... dd acid to water

On 7/26/15 11:06 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/26/2015 7:51 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

One of the limits of the typed word. Some times
it seems as clear as can be (to me) but doesn't
seem as clear to others. Thanks for asking, and
giving me the chance to give some more detail.

A service I don't offer to everone, seeing as
how Ashton tells me I'm a bigot.

Now-a-days if you aren't politically correct that means you've passed go
and automatically proceed to jail where they print "bigot" on your
orange uniform.

That would certainly be bigotry! All these years, I didn't know the
meaning of the word.

It goes back to 1450, when people learned that a German blacksmith had
invented the internet. It was text only, but they knew it was going to
be very big someday. There was no IPO, so they sued.

By 1600, it was very popular. Through the medium, liberal religious
ideas had gained enough attention to be very controversial. The French
coined the term "bigot" for a person with an obstinate belief in the
superiority of his own opinions and an intolerance of the opinions of
others.

Confidentially, I think WD-40 is the greatest product on the market
today. It does everything better than anything else. I wouldn't dare
say so here because you-know-who is a bigot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/15 12:48 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/26/2015 11:25 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:25:41 -0500, Muggles wrote:

So, if I buy a container of muriatic acid, I have the use the entire
container at one time? I can't use just part of it now and the rest at
a later date?

Generally, you buy two gallon jugs in one box. The containers off gas
through the plastic. Do not store them in a tool shed -- tools and
equipment can rust. Do not store near chlorine either. I keep mine
outside near the pool area and store them in a plastic 5-gallon homer
bucket. If you are worried about children getting into the acid, you
are having luck with CLR, you might stick with that. The ZEP acid
product I mentioned comes in 32/64 OZ. Have not used it as I use MA,
so be sure to read and follow instructions.

You can find _Heinz® All Natural Cleaning Vinegar_ at the grocery
gettin'' store - 6% acidity.

http://www.heinzvinegar.com/products-cleaning-vinegar.aspx

Actually, I almost bought some 6% acidity cleaning vinegar at Walmart
yesterday, but thought I'd just try the next option which was the clr.

I think I'll drain the toilet bowl of most of the water and leave some
in the bottom where the S trap is and then use the rest of the clr a bit
more concentrated so it'll get the calcium that's still there at the
bottom. If I can't get it all with the clr that I have left, do you
think it's worth getting the next more stronger solution, or just try
more clr until it all is dissolved? I'm actually surprised that the clr
worked as well as it did. There's zero calcium deposits on the bowl
sides now when before it was so thick I had to chip it off and then only
could get a little bit to come off.

I think 6% is a marketing gimmick. I think the standard 5% is so the
consumer will get predictable results in recipes like salad dressing. If
you really want to clean, it's sold as vinegar in 20% jugs and as acetic
acid up to 99.85%.

Bleach used to be sold at 5.25% for a different reason. Eventually it
turns to salt in the jug, and a stronger solution would deteriorate
faster. Now they are able to manufacture it with less impurities, and an
8.25% solution may have a longer shelf life than 5.25% used to have. The
stronger solution reduces shipping costs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 11:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 9:49 PM, J Burns wrote:

At one time, muriatic acid was made from brine. Maybe it still is.
Muriatic acid is sold for cleaning, where impurities won't hurt. In the
case of Zep, the "impurities", such as surfactants, help it clean.

I don't keep hydrochloric acid. If I need it to clean, I use vinegar
and salt. That produces muriatic acid that's mostly "impurities."

ahh ok ... I didn't know that. Thanks!

Vinegar is a mild acid, and salt does contain
chlorine. To mix them and call it muriatic
acid, I doubt that is the case.

I'd go for muriatic or hydrochloric acid, rather
than the vinegar mix, for my own uses.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2015 12:08 AM, J Burns wrote:
[...]

I just used some WTF-40, and so I really don't care. But,
I still totally hate you and all you stand for.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/15 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/3/2015 11:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 9:49 PM, J Burns wrote:

At one time, muriatic acid was made from brine. Maybe it still is.
Muriatic acid is sold for cleaning, where impurities won't hurt. In the
case of Zep, the "impurities", such as surfactants, help it clean.

I don't keep hydrochloric acid. If I need it to clean, I use vinegar
and salt. That produces muriatic acid that's mostly "impurities."

ahh ok ... I didn't know that. Thanks!

Vinegar is a mild acid, and salt does contain
chlorine. To mix them and call it muriatic
acid, I doubt that is the case.

I'd go for muriatic or hydrochloric acid, rather
than the vinegar mix, for my own uses.

Acetic acid and sodium chloride react to make sodium acetate and
hydrogen chloride. In other words, hydrochloric acid with an impurity. I
like to heat it for bigots to take a whiff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Muggles:
I gave up drinking pop some years ago, but on a rare day I might have me
a dr. pepper. Last bone density test I had my bones were in the way
above average for being healthy, so I guess laying off the pop helps.

IMHO, anybody who reads the book "Fat Chance" (Robert Lustig, Professor
of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at University of
California, San Francisco per http://profiles.ucsf.edu/robert.lustig and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lustig) will never drink another
sugar-sweetened soda.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:31:40 AM UTC-5, J Burns wrote:
[...]

Yea, I know what you mean. All those Progressive Liberal Leftists Commiecrat Freaks bigots need to be bathed in the stuff. Perhaps just wash out their mouths with it. (¬€¿Â¬)

[8~{} Uncle Clean Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 8:05:17 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Muggles:
I gave up drinking pop some years ago, but on a rare day I might have me
a dr. pepper. Last bone density test I had my bones were in the way
above average for being healthy, so I guess laying off the pop helps.

IMHO, anybody who reads the book "Fat Chance" (Robert Lustig, Professor
of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology at University of
California, San Francisco per http://profiles.ucsf.edu/robert.lustig and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lustig) will never drink another
sugar-sweetened soda.

--
Pete Cresswell

Years ago I stopped drinking sugar sweetened soft drinks, sugar sweetened ice tea and sugar sweetened beverages of any kind. My weight dropped 100lbs in 2 months but a lot of damage had already been done due to high blood sugar even though my blood sugar returned to normal levels. I had switched to diet drinks but now those are supposed to be harmful. I recall a study that showed that the consumption of water can be deadly. Researchers took convict volunteers, pumped 10 gallons of water into them and they died. Those researchers have now switched their focus to Climate Change. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Dying Monster