Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Appliance industry warns.... calcium deposits need acids

On 8/3/2015 9:49 PM, J Burns wrote:
On 7/26/15 2:07 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/26/2015 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:18:55 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 7/26/2015 11:40 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:05:33 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Used to be, Dollar Tree had bowl cleaner with
hydrochloric acid. Might be cheaper. But, try
the stuff you already got, it's likely to work
just fine.

The Zep toilet cleaner I mention before has hydrochloric acid:

INGREDIENT Water (Solvent); Hydrochloric Acid (pH Adjuster); C9-11
Alcohols Ethoxylated 4- 6EO (Surfactant – Emulsifying Agent); Xanthan
Gum (Thickener); Alkyl C12-16 Dimethylbenzylammonium Chloride
(Surfactant - Cationic); Methyl Salicylate (Fragrance Component); Acid
Blue 93 (Colorant)

Instructions Avoid contact with chrome, brass, decorative metal
surfaces, marble, clothing, carpeting, toilet seat and lid. TOILET
BOWLS: Apply under rim and around sides. Allow product to work for 5
minutes. Scrub entire surface and flush to rinse. More severe stains
may require a repeat treatment. URINALS: Remove screens or strainers.
Apply at least four ounces around edges and top, allowing the product
to flow down over surfaces. Wait 5 minutes before scrubbing, then
flush to rinse.

http://zepcommercial.com/product/Acid-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner

hmm So, is a product that has h. acid in it better than just using
muriatic acid by itself? (even though muriatic acid is another name for
h.acid)

Several websites said something similar to this: "Muriatic Acid is the
old name for HCl, before we understood atomic theory - OR - muriatic is
the common name for industrial, or less pure, grades of hydrochloric
acid".

Does this mean that h. acid is stronger than muriatic acid?

I'll defer to those best qualified to decide the merits

That's what I'm trying to figure out. LOL Does 'industrial/less pure'
mean better/worse than? I dunno! Less pure doesn't necessarily mean it
doesn't work better. Right?

At one time, muriatic acid was made from brine. Maybe it still is.
Muriatic acid is sold for cleaning, where impurities won't hurt. In the
case of Zep, the "impurities", such as surfactants, help it clean.

I don't keep hydrochloric acid. If I need it to clean, I use vinegar
and salt. That produces muriatic acid that's mostly "impurities."

ahh ok ... I didn't know that. Thanks!

--
Maggie