Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

wrote in message

stuff snipped

If residential water heaters were set as high as a commercial kitchen,
the dishwasher would work better but we are told to keep them luke
warm ... by the same DoE.

That recommendation is to prevent horrific scalding accidents, especially to
children. Take a look at some of these burns and perhaps you'll agree that
slightly cleaner dishes from much hotter water might not be worth the
societal trade-off of horribly burned children.

http://tinyurl.com/op7csgh

Each year, approximately 3,800 injuries and 34 deaths occur in the home
due to scalding from excessively hot tap water. The majority of these
accidents involve the elderly and children under the age of five. Most
adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150-degree water for two
seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140-degree
water or with a 30 second exposure to 130-degree water. Even if the
temperature is 120 degrees, a five-minute exposure could result in
third-degree burns.

http://www.cityoflewisville.com/index.aspx?page=319
http://www.cityoflewisville.com/modu...x?imageid=1184

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would be to
protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

--
Bobby G.