Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Appliance industry warns....

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 2:03:51 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

I guess I am old-fashioned but if trimming the HW temperature a few

degrees
saves some little kids from death or horrible maiming, my choice would

be to
protect the kids and elderly who in many cases are unable to protect
themselves.

If I don't have any children or elderly in my house,
why shouldn't I set the water heater wherever I like?

It sounds like you're never planning to be elderly or have youngsters or
elderly people as guests. Or get so sick that you might make a serious
mistake. I hope that works out for you! (-:

But seriously, keeping the tank set lower saves energy, too.

My question is what do you gain by amping up the temperature? Most people
almost always temper the hot water with cold water in order to use it. I
dropped my HW temp way back and I haven't noticed any serious problems. So
it seems to me raising the temperature of the water is wasteful because
you're going to temper it anyway to be able to use it.

I've been reading about life in the Old West and thank my lucky stars every
day that I can turn a tap and get hot water. Back in the old days hot water
was a very precious commodity and filling a bath tub with it took enormous
effort.

--
Bobby G.