Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Question about septic systems

My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time (he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other general
comments on septics, etc. There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:02:24 -0800, "Dan" wrote:

My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time (he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other general
comments on septics, etc. There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

If it;s not already screwed up, and you treat it properly,
it shouldn't be a problem at all. People have trouble with
septic systems when they abuse them.

Here are the rules: Have it pumped and inspected
either immediately before or immediately after the sale.

One year later, have it pumped and inspected again.
The results of that second inspection will tell you
how often you need to pump it in the future.
(assuming that's not dictated by law, where you are)

If the house has a garbage disposal, get rid of it.
don't dump grease, food-waste or chemicals into it,
any more than you can help.

If you can, dump the washing-machine (and RO-water-treatment
system, if any) into a drywell separate from the septic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:

My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time (he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other general
comments on septics, etc. There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan

GOOGLE: Septic problems (or similar).

Contact your county Health Dep't for info.
Besides the usual, they may be aware of problems
specific to the area you're buying into.
Find out if there are sewers in the offing ($$$)
or will the state mandate wholesale system replacements.

Line up a licensed septic co. to do an inspection
should you place an offer. Make the offer contingent
upon the inspection passing. The co. will be aware of
local issues as well.

A well-maintained system may give you years more of
trouble-free service. OTOH....

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Goedjn" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the prompt + helpful reply. You gave me at least 2 points: Does
the house have a drywell, & will they do a drainage/inspection/remediation
as a term of sale. What does drainage/inspection generally cost,
appromimately?

This property is in an area that is transitioning from "rural" to
"suburban". In fact, there are developments going in right across the road,
which I'm guessing will be on the city sewer. I'm wondering if in such
circumstances, it is normal for the local municipality to offer (maybe even
require) the older properties to connect to the sanitary sewer system?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
et...
Dan wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim, you read my mind ;-) I'll give the cty a call.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:30�pm, "Dan" wrote:
"Goedjn" wrote in message

[...]

require) the older properties to connect to the sanitary sewer system?- Hide quoted text -

yeah it will be REQUIRED, and tap in and fee per foot of frontage can
cost thousands.........

Time to talk to local building inspector and sewer company

Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot of times, the purchase price of a place can be reduced
because of the seller knowing there is going to be a big cost
in the future. You already know it.

After finding out how long it's gonna be, think about the septic
system as another family member. Feed the little yeasty beasties,
don't poison them(Chlorine), give them plenty of water, and don't
use excessive detergent. If your washer has an 'extra dirty' cycle,
put the clothes on that for a lot more agitation time, reduce how
much soap you need.
And avoid powdered detergent. It reforms in the tank.

We went for 18 years and not once even considered having to
have it pumped. But if you do have it pumped, have it emptied
to the walls. Our first and only emptying when we got the place
involved having the access cover removed, instead of simply
sucking liquid out.
And then we treated it gently.
On Feb 16, 6:24 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Dan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Michael B" wrote in message
ups.com...
A lot of times, the purchase price of a place can be reduced
because of the seller knowing there is going to be a big cost
in the future. You already know it.

After finding out how long it's gonna be, think about the septic
system as another family member. Feed the little yeasty beasties,
don't poison them(Chlorine), give them plenty of water, and don't
use excessive detergent. If your washer has an 'extra dirty' cycle,
put the clothes on that for a lot more agitation time, reduce how
much soap you need.
And avoid powdered detergent. It reforms in the tank.

We went for 18 years and not once even considered having to
have it pumped. But if you do have it pumped, have it emptied
to the walls. Our first and only emptying when we got the place
involved having the access cover removed, instead of simply
sucking liquid out.

Thanks for all the replies. I just called the county. They agreed about
having the tank pumped prior to sale. Also said they don't require tank
users to connect to adjacent sewers when they are put in to newly developed
areas nearby. They said there is a law on the books regarding how often
tanks are pumped, but it's not enforced. I asked about a drywell, they said
drywells are illegal & that they DO enforce that one ;-) He said basically
what I've heard here, that you have it pumped, then again at a set interval
(suggested 3 years) & based on that, you know how often to do it. He said
they have thousands of them in their service area, and the vast majority
work fine if cared for, as has been said here. They were very helpful,
actually.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

One of the most important things about a septic system was already mentioned
here. NO disposal in the kitchen, and NO laundry drain into it. (if you're
using a water efficient front loader, this is less of a problem) And while
your at it with the dry well, put the dishwasher and shower into it also.
And big water user loads off the septic are better. BUT, with all that
said, with just two people in the house, you probably won't have to worry
about any of that unless you have a marginal system already.

--
Steve Barker

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have
never lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard
they can be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described
by MLS as "Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If
anyone can give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems
can be, any questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for
the 1st time (he probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO
;-), any other general comments on septics, etc. There would be just the
2 of us living in the house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
One of the most important things about a septic system was already
mentioned here. NO disposal in the kitchen, and NO laundry drain into it.
(if you're using a water efficient front loader, this is less of a
problem) And while your at it with the dry well, put the dishwasher and
shower into it also. And big water user loads off the septic are better.
BUT, with all that said, with just two people in the house, you probably
won't have to worry about any of that unless you have a marginal system
already.

--
Steve Barker

Thanks Steve. I've always heard the "backhoe in the front yard every 2
years" horror stories about septics, obviously not true! On a new purchase,
the key seems to be assuring a drained & inspected & fixed if required
septic system is part of the sale.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:51:09 -0800, "Dan" wrote:

[...]

It *IS* true, once you screw one up by letting it go
too long unpumped. or if you add a 5 bedroom addition
to a septic designed for a 1 bedroom cottage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan writes:

If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be,
any questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the
1st time (he probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO
;-), any other general comments on septics, etc.

The true cost is typically cheaper than paying for utility sewer rates.
You just have to pay for work on it now and then. Periodic pumping (per
tables you can find on the Web). A drainfield should last decades, then
costs $1000s to redo, but then you've saved all those sewerage fees, right?
Think of it as do-it-yourself sewage treatment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you read up on septic systems and really understand them, it's real easy
to "visualize" what's going on in there. The worst that can happen is
damage to the lateral field. This can happen several ways.
a. physical damage from crushing loads over it.
b. tree roots
c. soil that won't "perk" meaning the effluent doesn't have anywhere to go.
This can happen from improper installation (not enough gravel) or just bad
(clay) soil.
d. letting the sludge build up in the tank to the point where it is force
out into the field.

people who say they've gone "18 years" or any other long period of time
without pumping are just asking for trouble. 3 to 5 year between pumpings
should be considered a maximum. That way you never have to worry about the
sludge getting up to the outlet. I'm no expert, but I've been on a septic
system all my life (48 years) and have seen the ups and downs of them.

--
Steve Barker

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks Steve. I've always heard the "backhoe in the front yard every 2
years" horror stories about septics, obviously not true! On a new
purchase, the key seems to be assuring a drained & inspected & fixed if
required septic system is part of the sale.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

people who say they've gone "18 years" or any other long period of time
without pumping are just asking for trouble. 3 to 5 year between pumpings
should be considered a maximum. That way you never have to worry about
the sludge getting up to the outlet. I'm no expert, but I've been on a
septic system all my life (48 years) and have seen the ups and downs of
them.

--
Steve Barker

I built my house and septic about 18 years ago. I opened the tank last year
concerned about sludge buildup and found only a minor amount in the bottom.
There are two adults and laundry is done off site. Both adults work. Usage
is light. I expect the next 18 years to be the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote:
One of the most important things about a septic system was already
mentioned here. NO disposal in the kitchen, and NO laundry drain into it.
(if you're using a water efficient front loader, this is less of a
problem) And while your at it with the dry well, put the dishwasher and
shower into it also. And big water user loads off the septic are better.
BUT, with all that said, with just two people in the house, you probably
won't have to worry about any of that unless you have a marginal system
already.

--
Steve Barker

Not to throw anyone under the bus but my research concluded those "high
efficency" front loading washers really do not use that much less water per
load. I think the HE only refers to energy use, not sure though since I
have not researched that aspect of it, only the water usage.

For a great resource on septic stuff check this book out:

http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/ssom_book.html

http://www.amazon.com/Septic-System-.../dp/093607020X

Also, I agree, get it pumped and inspected before closing on the property,
but do it with a vendor that YOU chooose and pay for not the seller. That
way the company will be responsible to you not the seller. Also,
repump/inspect just under one year after purchase to check for any problems,
don't wait the three. After the initial pump, and the one year
'anniversary' pump, the vendor would be able to advise a schedule. It all
depends on size of tank, amount/type of usage, and certainly the amount of
solids going into the tank.

2cents.

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have
never lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard
they can be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described
by MLS as "Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity.
If anyone can give me some feedback on just how problematic septic
systems can be, any questions I might ask the realtor when we see the
house for the 1st time (he probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look
like I DO ;-), any other general comments on septics, etc. There would
be just the 2 of us living in the house, which is located in the Seattle
area.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Feb 16, 5:39 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 16, 6:30?pm, "Dan" wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Very unlikely in most locales for a new addition on sewer to require
an existing subdivision/addition to be added (as OP confirmed later
on). Any requirement (even if if does actually exist) in one area
should NOT be inferred to be generally applicable.

Time to talk to local building inspector and sewer company-

Actually, in rural county area, County Health Department will
undoubtedly be the controlling body for septic systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:55:30 -0800, "Pat"
wrote:

people who say they've gone "18 years" or any other long period of time
without pumping are just asking for trouble. 3 to 5 year between pumpings
should be considered a maximum. That way you never have to worry about
the sludge getting up to the outlet. I'm no expert, but I've been on a
septic system all my life (48 years) and have seen the ups and downs of
them.

--
Steve Barker

I built my house and septic about 18 years ago. I opened the tank last year
concerned about sludge buildup and found only a minor amount in the bottom.
There are two adults and laundry is done off site. Both adults work. Usage
is light. I expect the next 18 years to be the same.

Good answer.

Visual inspection is the absolute key. Too many people fail to
open it up and inspect it periodically and then complain when it quits
working. Going 18 years without pumping is not that unusual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 10:59 am, "dpb" wrote:
On Feb 16, 5:39 pm, " wrote:

On Feb 16, 6:30?pm, "Dan" wrote:

"Goedjn" wrote in message

.. .

[...]

It's not unlikely at all. Hallerb is right, it happens. The house
I'm living in was initially septic, and within 10 years, when sewers
were run down the street, homes were required to connect at the
homeowner's expense. It;s not necessarily a bad thing, as it
eliminates one big headache.

To the OP, I'd check on the age of the system. If it's only 5 years
old, you're far less likely to have problems than if it's 40 years
old. At that point, it's common to have problems with the leach
field, as no matter what you do, eventually the area gets afftected to
the point that it has trouble draining.

Time to talk to local building inspector and sewer company-

Actually, in rural county area, County Health Department will
undoubtedly be the controlling body for septic systems.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

A typical tank may be 1,000 gallons, maybe 1,500.
Sludge reduces the operating capacity, so that suspended
solids are discharged quicker, exposing the drainage field to
larger solids.
It all depends on how the system is managed, and if you treat
it as a living system, you are not likely to need to have it pumped
often, or at all.
First thing I did after our first and only pumping was to use the 4"
opening in the top of the tank. I opened the cap, and used that
when I wanted to check on the sludge status. I was working
for the county health dept at the time, I used a tube made for the
purpose (trade name "Sludge Judge"). It's a handy tool, but way
overpriced. But if it keeps you from deciding to have your tank
pumped ONCE, it's more than paid for itself. Or it could be the
basis for having it done.
Sorry, but there are a few professionals in the tank pumping
business, and a lot of amateurs. When it's pumped, the SLUDGE
needs to be removed. Best way I knew to see that happen was
to remove the tank cover. I probed the tank to know where to dig.
Lot easier for them to just poke their pipe down and start pumping
whatever worked its way to the pipe, but you should be able to
understand the difference.
A typical recommendation is for a pumping every 3-5 years.
I did what was necessary, including keeping track of sludge level,
and never had it pumped after moving in.
By the way, when schools on an aerated tank are going to be
closed all summer, they will frequently flush down dog food for
the little bugglings to eat. Same applies to a homeowner going on
vacation.
On Feb 16, 6:02 pm, "Dan" wrote:
My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time (he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other general
comments on septics, etc. There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 6:02 pm, "Dan" wrote:

My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. *I have never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). *System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. *If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time (he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other general
comments on septics, etc. *There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan- Hide quoted text -

In pennsylvania new devlopment in a watershed, natural drainage area
means not just the new buildings but ALL properties get sewage in that
watershed, you pay a cost per foot for frontage, a tap in cost often 5
grand, and then if your still usiung a well they flat rate you for
sewage or meter your well.

around here sewage is at least TWICE the cost of water per thousand
used, and new requirements to prevent water infiltration during rain
is making sewer companies replace all their lines, add storage tanks
for peak flow averaging and theres talk of getting every homes line
camera inspection at time of home sale, and mandatory replacement if
theres breaks or tree roots. nearly every terracota line has tree
roots in it, which means water is getting in too.. thus line bad.

the plumbers are just waiting to swoop in this will be a bonanza $$$
for them, sewer line, yard restoration, new sidewalks and driveways.
Or getting lines cleaned and plastic liners installed, which
reportedly cost nearly as much but save the tearing up of yard.

the trouble here is that during heavy rains floods the leaky lines see
manhoile covers fly in air, sewage all over streets and into streams
and rivers. its a real safety hazard, I saw a articlke statiung that
the 10 year cost locally is in the billions, sewage rates are rising.
MTSA my sewer company replaced the main line on our street, it was
all roots

Posted to alt.home.repair

Open it up and do a visual inspection? Obviously you've never had a septic
system. There is no visual inspection until you PUMP it. Opening it up and
looking, all you will see is the "scum" on top. And only the pumping guy can
really tell (by feel) how deep the sludge is/was. 3 to 5 years max, or
trouble ahead. Period.

--
Steve Barker

"Deke" wrote in message

Visual inspection is the absolute key. Too many people fail to
open it up and inspect it periodically and then complain when it quits
working. Going 18 years without pumping is not that unusual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Feb 17, 12:58 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Open it up and do a visual inspection? Obviously you've never had a septic
system. There is no visual inspection until you PUMP it. Opening it up and
looking, all you will see is the "scum" on top. And only the pumping guy can
really tell (by feel) how deep the sludge is/was. 3 to 5 years max, or
trouble ahead. Period.

Not necessarily true. When I had mine inspected & pumped after 10
years use, the first thing they looked for was floating debris in the
scum. Seeing none he said it would be in good shape because stuff at
the bottom of the tank gets dissolved but floating stuff stays a
*long* time. When it was pumped there was 3-4 inches of sludge only.
He said based upon that, I could go 15 years easily if usage doesn't
change. So a visual is not all inclusive, but is a good indicator.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, combined sewer systems are going to be eliminated
a little at a time, and it's gonna be seriously costly.
The old systems were designed to collect stormwater and
sewage, many newer ones have simply gone into disrepair
and have become combined delivery lines.

On Feb 17, 1:47 pm, " wrote:

the trouble here is that during heavy rains floods the leaky lines see
manhoile covers fly in air, sewage all over streets and into streams
and rivers. its a real safety hazard, I saw a articlke statiung that
the 10 year cost locally is in the billions, sewage rates are rising.
MTSA my sewer company replaced the main line on our street, it was
all roots

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Our old washer used 55 gal per load. The new one 14. So you decide, is
this a difference or not?

--
Steve Barker

Be sure that you are not comparing "capacity" with use per load. Also, any
newer appliance will be more effecient in use of any type, except in
longevity!, but the thought of the the new HE washers using less water per
load as compared to a new non-HE machine, well that's a bit over rated.

Just sayin...

"jackson" wrote in message
. ..
Not to throw anyone under the bus but my research concluded those "high
efficency" front loading washers really do not use that much less water
per load. I think the HE only refers to energy use, not sure though
since I have not researched that aspect of it, only the water usage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Disagree.
Read about the Sludge Judge, at their site or in my post.
Only part a person is likely to need for homeowner use is
the bottom part with the valve
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09250WA
or perhaps that part and a single extension.
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09251WA

It's like being able to take a core sample of the septic tank
contents. Shows you exactly what's there under the layer of
scum, because you would NEVER have known by simply
having it pumped.

Steve, sometimes it's best to ask, such as the OP, instead
of just taking timeworn 'truths' at face value.

On Feb 17, 8:21 pm, "jackson" wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

Open it up and do a visual inspection? Obviously you've never had a
septic system. There is no visual inspection until you PUMP it. Opening
it up and looking, all you will see is the "scum" on top. And only the
pumping guy can really tell (by feel) how deep the sludge is/was. 3 to 5
years max, or trouble ahead. Period.

--
Steve Barker

Agreed!

"Deke" wrote in message
.. .

Visual inspection is the absolute key. Too many people fail to
open it up and inspect it periodically and then complain when it quits
working. Going 18 years without pumping is not that unusual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're going to open it up and do the sludge judge thing, you might as
well have it pumped.

best to ask what?

--
Steve Barker

"Michael B" wrote in message
s.com...
Disagree.
Read about the Sludge Judge, at their site or in my post.
Only part a person is likely to need for homeowner use is
the bottom part with the valve
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09250WA
or perhaps that part and a single extension.
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09251WA

It's like being able to take a core sample of the septic tank
contents. Shows you exactly what's there under the layer of
scum, because you would NEVER have known by simply
having it pumped.

Steve, sometimes it's best to ask, such as the OP, instead
of just taking timeworn 'truths' at face value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Open it up and do a visual inspection? Obviously you've never had a
septic system. There is no visual inspection until you PUMP it. Opening
it up and looking, all you will see is the "scum" on top. And only the
pumping guy can really tell (by feel) how deep the sludge is/was. 3 to 5
years max, or trouble ahead. Period.

--
Steve Barker

Huh? You pull the cap, and instantly, you can see relevant information. Is
there a crust? How close is the crust to the top of the tank? When you
poke the crust, how thick is it? When you insert a pole into the tank, what
is the resistance?

THEN, you pump it.

THEN, you inspect to see how much solid sediment is in the bottom of the
tank, and whether the holes leading to the leach lines are blocked. And to
see if the leach lines are blocked, how bad and how far and if you need to
clean them out.

Have you ever had a septic system? Sounds like not.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm, I'm trying to see why you would think that.
Perhaps because you've been doing it a different way, and it
costs over a hundred dollars every time.
First time I had it open, I installed a 4" PVC connection to the
surface with a cap.
Every couple of years, open the cap, dip the Judge, dump the
contents, close the cap, come back to it in a couple of years.

Yeah, maybe for the sake of the local economy, I should have
had it pumped like you. But I knew there would be others that
would make up for me. In fact, there were many that told how
they had theirs pumped every year, and never had a bit of trouble.
By golly, I'm glad for them, and you, too.

But the original poster was asking for information about care
and feeding of a septic system. I think that information has
been provided, along with the awareness that there are many
different opinions, and ways to spend money.

"Michael B" wrote in message

s.com...

Disagree.
Read about the Sludge Judge, at their site or in my post.
Only part a person is likely to need for homeowner use is
the bottom part with the valve
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09250WA
or perhaps that part and a single extension.
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09251WA

It's like being able to take a core sample of the septic tank
contents. Shows you exactly what's there under the layer of
scum, because you would NEVER have known by simply
having it pumped.

Steve, sometimes it's best to ask, such as the OP, instead
of just taking timeworn 'truths' at face value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have already seen the advice o have the system inspected BEFORE you
settle -- make the offer contingent upon the inspection. And also make the
seller have the system pumped and offer you confirmation. Depending on the
locale, this may be a requirement anyway.

Systems that are pumped on a routine basis and not violated by extreme use
will be fine

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have
never lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard
they can be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described
by MLS as "Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If
anyone can give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems
can be, any questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for
the 1st time (he probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO
;-), any other general comments on septics, etc. There would be just the
2 of us living in the house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be there when it's pumped.
It's a lot easier for the waste hauler to just drop the pipe in,
suck up an unknown amount of water, and be on the way.
Lot more involved in seeing that the sludge accumulation
is removed. And sludge includes the solid and semisolid
residue of the septic tank digestion process. Stuff that will
not conveniently drift over to the pump tube to be sucked
out.

On Feb 18, 12:56 pm, "Buster Chops" wrote:
You have already seen the advice o have the system inspected BEFORE you
settle -- make the offer contingent upon the inspection. And also make the
seller have the system pumped and offer you confirmation. Depending on the
locale, this may be a requirement anyway.

Systems that are pumped on a routine basis and not violated by extreme use
will be fine

. ..