Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Question about septic systems

"Michael B" wrote in message
ups.com...
A lot of times, the purchase price of a place can be reduced
because of the seller knowing there is going to be a big cost
in the future. You already know it.

After finding out how long it's gonna be, think about the septic
system as another family member. Feed the little yeasty beasties,
don't poison them(Chlorine), give them plenty of water, and don't
use excessive detergent. If your washer has an 'extra dirty' cycle,
put the clothes on that for a lot more agitation time, reduce how
much soap you need.
And avoid powdered detergent. It reforms in the tank.

We went for 18 years and not once even considered having to
have it pumped. But if you do have it pumped, have it emptied
to the walls. Our first and only emptying when we got the place
involved having the access cover removed, instead of simply
sucking liquid out.

Thanks for all the replies. I just called the county. They agreed about
having the tank pumped prior to sale. Also said they don't require tank
users to connect to adjacent sewers when they are put in to newly developed
areas nearby. They said there is a law on the books regarding how often
tanks are pumped, but it's not enforced. I asked about a drywell, they said
drywells are illegal & that they DO enforce that one ;-) He said basically
what I've heard here, that you have it pumped, then again at a set interval
(suggested 3 years) & based on that, you know how often to do it. He said
they have thousands of them in their service area, and the vast majority
work fine if cared for, as has been said here. They were very helpful,
actually.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan