Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Question about septic systems

If you read up on septic systems and really understand them, it's real easy
to "visualize" what's going on in there. The worst that can happen is
damage to the lateral field. This can happen several ways.
a. physical damage from crushing loads over it.
b. tree roots
c. soil that won't "perk" meaning the effluent doesn't have anywhere to go.
This can happen from improper installation (not enough gravel) or just bad
(clay) soil.
d. letting the sludge build up in the tank to the point where it is force
out into the field.

people who say they've gone "18 years" or any other long period of time
without pumping are just asking for trouble. 3 to 5 year between pumpings
should be considered a maximum. That way you never have to worry about the
sludge getting up to the outlet. I'm no expert, but I've been on a septic
system all my life (48 years) and have seen the ups and downs of them.

--
Steve Barker

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks Steve. I've always heard the "backhoe in the front yard every 2
years" horror stories about septics, obviously not true! On a new
purchase, the key seems to be assuring a drained & inspected & fixed if
required septic system is part of the sale.

Dan