Posted to alt.home.repair
Deke Deke is offline

Default Question about septic systems

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:55:30 -0800, "Pat"
wrote:

people who say they've gone "18 years" or any other long period of time
without pumping are just asking for trouble. 3 to 5 year between pumpings
should be considered a maximum. That way you never have to worry about
the sludge getting up to the outlet. I'm no expert, but I've been on a
septic system all my life (48 years) and have seen the ups and downs of
them.

--
Steve Barker

I built my house and septic about 18 years ago. I opened the tank last year
concerned about sludge buildup and found only a minor amount in the bottom.
There are two adults and laundry is done off site. Both adults work. Usage
is light. I expect the next 18 years to be the same.

Good answer.

Visual inspection is the absolute key. Too many people fail to
open it up and inspect it periodically and then complain when it quits
working. Going 18 years without pumping is not that unusual.