Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Question about septic systems

Hmm, I'm trying to see why you would think that.
Perhaps because you've been doing it a different way, and it
costs over a hundred dollars every time.
First time I had it open, I installed a 4" PVC connection to the
surface with a cap.
Every couple of years, open the cap, dip the Judge, dump the
contents, close the cap, come back to it in a couple of years.

Yeah, maybe for the sake of the local economy, I should have
had it pumped like you. But I knew there would be others that
would make up for me. In fact, there were many that told how
they had theirs pumped every year, and never had a bit of trouble.
By golly, I'm glad for them, and you, too.

But the original poster was asking for information about care
and feeding of a septic system. I think that information has
been provided, along with the awareness that there are many
different opinions, and ways to spend money.

On Feb 17, 11:26 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
If you're going to open it up and do the sludge judge thing, you might as
well have it pumped.

best to ask what?

--
Steve Barker

"Michael B" wrote in message

s.com...

Disagree.
Read about the Sludge Judge, at their site or in my post.
Only part a person is likely to need for homeowner use is
the bottom part with the valve
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09250WA
or perhaps that part and a single extension.
http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C09251WA

It's like being able to take a core sample of the septic tank
contents. Shows you exactly what's there under the layer of
scum, because you would NEVER have known by simply
having it pumped.

Steve, sometimes it's best to ask, such as the OP, instead
of just taking timeworn 'truths' at face value.