Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default Question about septic systems

"Steve Barker" wrote:
One of the most important things about a septic system was already
mentioned here. NO disposal in the kitchen, and NO laundry drain into it.
(if you're using a water efficient front loader, this is less of a
problem) And while your at it with the dry well, put the dishwasher and
shower into it also. And big water user loads off the septic are better.
BUT, with all that said, with just two people in the house, you probably
won't have to worry about any of that unless you have a marginal system
already.

--
Steve Barker

Not to throw anyone under the bus but my research concluded those "high
efficency" front loading washers really do not use that much less water per
load. I think the HE only refers to energy use, not sure though since I
have not researched that aspect of it, only the water usage.

For a great resource on septic stuff check this book out:

http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/ssom_book.html

http://www.amazon.com/Septic-System-.../dp/093607020X

Also, I agree, get it pumped and inspected before closing on the property,
but do it with a vendor that YOU chooose and pay for not the seller. That
way the company will be responsible to you not the seller. Also,
repump/inspect just under one year after purchase to check for any problems,
don't wait the three. After the initial pump, and the one year
'anniversary' pump, the vendor would be able to advise a schedule. It all
depends on size of tank, amount/type of usage, and certainly the amount of
solids going into the tank.

2cents.

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have
never lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard
they can be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described
by MLS as "Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity.
If anyone can give me some feedback on just how problematic septic
systems can be, any questions I might ask the realtor when we see the
house for the 1st time (he probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look
like I DO ;-), any other general comments on septics, etc. There would
be just the 2 of us living in the house, which is located in the Seattle
area.

TIA

Dan