Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Question about septic systems

A lot of times, the purchase price of a place can be reduced
because of the seller knowing there is going to be a big cost
in the future. You already know it.

After finding out how long it's gonna be, think about the septic
system as another family member. Feed the little yeasty beasties,
don't poison them(Chlorine), give them plenty of water, and don't
use excessive detergent. If your washer has an 'extra dirty' cycle,
put the clothes on that for a lot more agitation time, reduce how
much soap you need.
And avoid powdered detergent. It reforms in the tank.

We went for 18 years and not once even considered having to
have it pumped. But if you do have it pumped, have it emptied
to the walls. Our first and only emptying when we got the place
involved having the access cover removed, instead of simply
sucking liquid out.
And then we treated it gently.
On Feb 16, 6:24 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Dan wrote:
My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If anyone can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time (he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other general
comments on septics, etc. There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

TIA

Dan

GOOGLE: Septic problems (or similar).

Contact your county Health Dep't for info.
Besides the usual, they may be aware of problems
specific to the area you're buying into.
Find out if there are sewers in the offing ($$$)
or will the state mandate wholesale system replacements.

Line up a licensed septic co. to do an inspection
should you place an offer. Make the offer contingent
upon the inspection passing. The co. will be aware of
local issues as well.

A well-maintained system may give you years more of
trouble-free service. OTOH....

Jim