Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Question about septic systems

people who say they've gone "18 years" or any other long period of time
without pumping are just asking for trouble. 3 to 5 year between pumpings
should be considered a maximum. That way you never have to worry about
the sludge getting up to the outlet. I'm no expert, but I've been on a
septic system all my life (48 years) and have seen the ups and downs of
them.

--
Steve Barker

I built my house and septic about 18 years ago. I opened the tank last year
concerned about sludge buildup and found only a minor amount in the bottom.
There are two adults and laundry is done off site. Both adults work. Usage
is light. I expect the next 18 years to be the same.