Robert11

Default Rid-X For Septic Systems: Any Good ?

Hello:

That product for septic systems, Rid-X, is it any good ?

or, just "good" advertising ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Bob

Matt

It's pretty good on cornflakes. Don't put it on Lucky Charms tho.

Barkie McDog

Matt wrote:
It's pretty good on cornflakes. Don't put it on Lucky Charms tho.

I hear it's great with crabs too. So I've read anyway.

Matt

Yeah. I think if you eat enough of it, then it absorbs all your ****
before it needs to exit your body, and therefore, your septic system
never fills up.

Or maybe you die if you eat it, and therefore, your septic system never
fills up.

I can't remember which it is.

Maybe Jeff Wisnia will have a bowl and let us know.

Bob S.

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

That product for septic systems, Rid-X, is it any good ?

or, just "good" advertising ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Bob

I guess you'd appreciate an honest opinion instead of a wise-ass remark
about now.

Yes, it's a good product as are many other brands. All are concentrated
bacteria designed to breakdown organic material in your septic tank.

What is more important, however, is what else is going down the septic
system. If you flush comdoms, Kotex pads, plastic trash, etc., no
amount of Rid-x is going to do you any good.

If you can lift the flush-out lid on your tank, take a look inside. In
a properly maintained tank there should be little to no material
floating on the surface of the sewage. That means the tank has
sufficient bacteria to handle the products going into it.

I use Rid-x about every 4-6 weeks and am careful about what goes into
the tank. After 10 years of use there was about 1" of sludge on the
bottom of the tank. At that rate it may never need pumping out again.
Bob S.

Richard J Kinch

Bob S. writes:

In
a properly maintained tank there should be little to no material
floating on the surface of the sewage.

Bunk. As is Rid-X.
Mike Fritz

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

That product for septic systems, Rid-X, is it any good ?

or, just "good" advertising ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Bob

Good Advertising? Anything that tells anyone they don't have to do
anything is good advertising, right?

If I tried to sell you a product that you pour into your engine to stop
requiring oil changes, would you buy it?

Wouldn't you wonder where all the sludge and metal flakes go? I would.

The septic tank is supposed to allow bacteria to break down as much as
the solid waste as possible. Bacteria is present in crap. So when you
crap, you provide the bacteria and the food needed.

As the bacteria breaks down the crap water, methane, and other stuff
comes from it. However, some things cannot be broken down. (Think corn
shells, for one example.) No amount of septic tank additive will break
down all of the solids.

The reason you have the tank pumped is to remove the solid (sludge)
before they build up so high and leave the tank clogging your drainage
field of seepage pit.

There is also a certain amount of floating material called scum.

I recommend the following book, since you probably own a septic system,
it's your responsibility to keep it working properly:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

If the link is took long, the name of the book is:

The Septic System Owner's Manual

A great book, I own it, and I know a lot about my septic system now.
--Mike
toller

Septic system manufacturers say additives do not help. They have no reason
to lie, since they want you to be happy with your system; so I figure
additives do not help.

Matt

I've never had a septic system. But I always figured Rid-x was full of
**** for 2 reasons:

1. Anyone who runs an ad campaign with people who make a living pumping
**** giving advice that supposedly will reduce the number of times they
have to come pump **** - is bull****.

2. Any ad that actually shows little cartoons in the process of
breaking down **** - is a ****ty ad.

Hence, rid-x is full of ****.

But, they have been able to bull**** a lot of people with their crap,
as somehow they manage to run their ****ty ads on national tv in prime
time.

Viva la rid-x!

Eric Tonks

If you don't have sludge in the bottom of your tank you must be flushing it
out into your leaching field. That is what Rid-X is well known for, stirring
up the sludge into the liquid so that it can flow into the leaching field
and clog it up.

You should have sludge in the bottom of a tank that has not been pumped out.
That is all the non-organic materials that go down the drain. One major
non-organic item is minerals and grit which is from all the dirt that is
flushed down the drain every time you wash yourself. This is the stuff that
should be pumped out on a regular basis not stirred up and drained into your
leach piping.

"Bob S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Matt

That brings up an interesting point. What is the politically correct
method of disposing of condoms these days?

Flushing? Trash? Composting? Recycling?

Effi, please let us know.

Bob S.

Eric Tonks wrote:

If you don't have sludge in the bottom of your tank you must be

flushing it
out into your leaching field. That is what Rid-X is well known for,

stirring
up the sludge into the liquid so that it can flow into the leaching

field
and clog it up.

No! Sludge is heavier than water and settles at the bottom of the tank.
It cannot get into the leach field until it builds up to the level of
the tank output line. Rid-x is concentrated bacteria. It has NO
properties for stirring up sludge.

You should have sludge in the bottom of a tank that has not been

pumped out.
That is all the non-organic materials that go down the drain. One

major
non-organic item is minerals and grit which is from all the dirt that

is
flushed down the drain every time you wash yourself. This is the

stuff that
should be pumped out on a regular basis not stirred up and drained

into your
leach piping.

Agreed that sand and grit cannot be broken down by bacteria and remains
at the bottom of the tank as a prime ingredient of sludge. However,
using a 1000 gal. septic tank would require a LOT of dirt. Personally,
I'm not that dirty.

Contrary to the opinions of many others, who's opinions I do NOT agree
with, here's why Rid-X, or any other similar product, is ocassionally a
good idea to use:
(1)It takes bacteria to break down organic material into soft liquids
that flush out into the leach field. The "primary" source of bacteria
is feces.
(2)Chlorine kills bacteria. Chlorine enters the septic system from
household clensers and clothes wash products.
(3) The more people in a family, the more feces, but also the more
table scraps, grease, and clothes wash (chlorine).
(4) Over a period of time, the bacteria level drops until it cannot
keep up with the organic input. And your sludge level starts rising
dramatically.

Do you NEED to add Rid-x or other type products? NO.
Will you have to have your tank pumped more often if you don't? YES

So do you pay the septic tank service company more oftem for a
cleanout, or pay a merchant for a septic tank additive? Your call. But
as I stated in an earlier post, I had my tank cleaned after 10 years
use just because I didn't know how it was building up. I watched the
whole process. It only had about 1-2 inches of sludge. The service man
stated it was the "cleanest" tank he'd seen in a long, long time and
for me to continue doing what I have been doing. And that is adding an
additive occasionally.

Others have their opinions, but I have seen the facts.

Bob S.

Richard J Kinch

Bob S. writes:

(2)Chlorine kills bacteria. Chlorine enters the septic system from
household clensers and clothes wash products.

(4) Over a period of time, the bacteria level drops until it cannot
keep up with the organic input. And your sludge level starts rising
dramatically.

Nonsense.

Do you have any idea of the chlorine demand to sterilize 1000 gallons of
ripe poo? Or the concept of "chlorine demand" itself?

Has it occured to you that oxidizers like chlorine are instantly consumed
by reducing agents in sewage?

Are you aware that bacteria reproduce? If you kill one-zillionth of them
with a little bleach, the other zillion that are left will happily
equilibrate in hours.

MUADIB®

That brings up an interesting point. What is the politically correct
method of disposing of condoms these days?

Flushing? Trash? Composting? Recycling?

Effi, please let us know.

Bad Question Matt. We all know that Condoms cause something much worse
than cancer. They cause PREMARITAL SEX!
and other types of things like EXTRAMARITAL SEX, and FRAT PARTIES!

No need in asking a profession al now. That'll only stir things up.

Disposing of them is not necessary. Just send them to the Dry
Cleaners.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 3, 2005 at 12:25:11 PM UTC-5, Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

That product for septic systems, Rid-X, is it any good ?

or, just "good" advertising ?

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Bob

I read Rid-x is mostly saw dust. Best not to use.