Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Question about septic systems

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:02:24 -0800, "Dan" wrote:

My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have
never
lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard they can
be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described by MLS as
"Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity. If anyone
can
give me some feedback on just how problematic septic systems can be, any
questions I might ask the realtor when we see the house for the 1st time
(he
probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look like I DO ;-), any other
general
comments on septics, etc. There would be just the 2 of us living in the
house, which is located in the Seattle area.

If it;s not already screwed up, and you treat it properly,
it shouldn't be a problem at all. People have trouble with
septic systems when they abuse them.

Here are the rules: Have it pumped and inspected
either immediately before or immediately after the sale.

One year later, have it pumped and inspected again.
The results of that second inspection will tell you
how often you need to pump it in the future.
(assuming that's not dictated by law, where you are)

If the house has a garbage disposal, get rid of it.
don't dump grease, food-waste or chemicals into it,
any more than you can help.

If you can, dump the washing-machine (and RO-water-treatment
system, if any) into a drywell separate from the septic.

Thanks for the prompt + helpful reply. You gave me at least 2 points: Does
the house have a drywell, & will they do a drainage/inspection/remediation
as a term of sale. What does drainage/inspection generally cost,
appromimately?

This property is in an area that is transitioning from "rural" to
"suburban". In fact, there are developments going in right across the road,
which I'm guessing will be on the city sewer. I'm wondering if in such
circumstances, it is normal for the local municipality to offer (maybe even
require) the older properties to connect to the sanitary sewer system?