Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Question about septic systems

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
et...
Dan wrote:

My wife & I are considering buying a house with a septic tank. I have
never lived in a property that had such a system, but have always heard
they can be troublesome (most things can, I guess). System is described
by MLS as "Two bedroom septic", which I gather indicates its capacity.
If anyone can give me some feedback on just how problematic septic
systems can be, any questions I might ask the realtor when we see the
house for the 1st time (he probably won't KNOW, but at least I'LL look
like I DO ;-), any other general comments on septics, etc. There would
be just the 2 of us living in the house, which is located in the Seattle
area.

TIA

Dan

GOOGLE: Septic problems (or similar).

Contact your county Health Dep't for info.
Besides the usual, they may be aware of problems
specific to the area you're buying into.
Find out if there are sewers in the offing ($$$)
or will the state mandate wholesale system replacements.

Line up a licensed septic co. to do an inspection
should you place an offer. Make the offer contingent
upon the inspection passing. The co. will be aware of
local issues as well.

A well-maintained system may give you years more of
trouble-free service. OTOH....

Jim

Thanks Jim, you read my mind ;-) I'll give the cty a call.

Dan