Old April 13th 19, 08:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

After inspecting it, I thought it would sell for at least $1500 and maybe go as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had planned on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesitant each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

I'll go collect it Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sonny

Old April 13th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 3:29:42 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

After inspecting it, I thought it would sell for at least $1500 and maybe go as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had planned on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesitant each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

I'll go collect it Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sonny

What does "collect it" mean? In other words, how are you going to get
that monster home and eventually to it's final resting place?

Do you need a COI to remove it from the premises? How much will that cost?

Just curious, that's all.
Old April 13th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 3:23:27 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What does "collect it" mean? In other words, how are you going to get
that monster home and eventually to it's final resting place?

I didn't expect to win the bid, but I wanted to attend the sale. I wasn't prepared to bring it home, besides, I have 3 days to go get it.

As you, I was curious enough about the machine to call Northfield and ask about disassembling the tables, for easy of transport. The tech told me how to disassemble them. He told me how to properly strap, lift and haul the machine with the tables still attached. You don't want to lift it by strapping the tables. He asked that I send him the serial number and he'd give me details of the machine.

The tag on the machine indicated it came from a military base, so I'm supposing the military was the original owner.

Do you need a COI to remove it from the premises? How much will that cost?

No ins required. They have forklifts to haul anything folks need heavy hauling for and they load for you. I'm responsible for tying down my load. I spoke to a forklift driver about specific strapping and hauling and he said there's no problem accommodating me. Since I'm likely to need to disassemble some parts for cleaning and maybe some repair, I might as well disassemble the tables, there, making things easier to load and later unload. I'll copy OWWM parts list for when I disassemble it, just in case.

Just curious, that's all.

Curiosity is fun, too.
Sonny

Old April 13th 19, 10:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 4:53:57 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Are *they* insured for damage caused while lifting/loading? I assume it
wouldn't be for the real value of the unit, maybe not even for the price
you paid for it. Certainly wouldn't include the time you've expended so far..

Of course I'm not wishing for anything to happen, just curious (again) about
how these auctions work. The IRS auction that you posted the other day said this:

"Anyone removing non-hand carriable lots must provide IRS with a certificate
of insurance (“COI”) before purchased items can be removed."

The minimum coverage was $2,000,000. Curious as to what that would cost.
Old April 13th 19, 11:06 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 4:26:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are *they* insured for damage caused while lifting/loading? I assume it
wouldn't be for the real value of the unit, maybe not even for the price
you paid for it. Certainly wouldn't include the time you've expended so far.

I doubt the State is specifically insured for the items at these types of sales. There may be some insurance coverage if someone got hurt and no fault of their own. I assess the situation as walking into a government building, there's no special insurance required for visiting a government building. It's as if items are sold as is where is and there's no challenging a defect in the item or the handling of it. It's "understood", by me at least, that the folks are there to help and I think they do a very good job. I've never seen or heard of any incident at the State auction. Buyers are courteous, also.

As for as the items, the guys really go out of their way to be careful and are really helpful in every aspect of the sales. I view it as, when you agree to allow them to help (ask for their help), you, in essence, waive any fault that may occur.

IRS auctions (locations!!!!) are a different story. It's the companies property that one visits, so the companies have to protect themselves.

Sonny

Old April 13th 19, 11:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny
Old April 14th 19, 01:59 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 5:11:03 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny

You know you will have to put one of those helical cutter heads in this jointer. Might as well do it while you are disassembling, cleaning, rehabilitating the machine. Ka-ching!!!! Add another $1000+ to the cost. The Byrd site says the generic 12" jointer head is $920. But you have a 16" jointer.
Old April 14th 19, 02:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 8:59:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 5:11:03 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny

You know you will have to put one of those helical cutter heads in this
jointer. Might as well do it while you are disassembling, cleaning,
rehabilitating the machine. Ka-ching!!!! Add another $1000+ to the cost.
The Byrd site says the generic 12" jointer head is $920. But you have a
16" jointer.

Sonny,

Save your money. Instead of a helical cutter head, just get one of these
and cut it to size. Shop time will be so relaxing. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/S4xl5qQ.jpg

Old April 14th 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 8:37:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You suck!

Pictures please.

There's a pic from the State's auction website, page 139 on the first post's link, but here again. Don't know how long these pics will remain on the State's site.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...ril%202019.pdf

Sonny
Old April 14th 19, 07:40 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

Congratulations! : )

Bill