Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

After inspecting it, I thought it would sell for at least $1500 and maybe go as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had planned on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesitant each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

I'll go collect it Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 3:29:42 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

After inspecting it, I thought it would sell for at least $1500 and maybe go as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had planned on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesitant each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

I'll go collect it Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sonny

What does "collect it" mean? In other words, how are you going to get
that monster home and eventually to it's final resting place?

Do you need a COI to remove it from the premises? How much will that cost?

Just curious, that's all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 3:23:27 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What does "collect it" mean? In other words, how are you going to get
that monster home and eventually to it's final resting place?

I didn't expect to win the bid, but I wanted to attend the sale. I wasn't prepared to bring it home, besides, I have 3 days to go get it.

As you, I was curious enough about the machine to call Northfield and ask about disassembling the tables, for easy of transport. The tech told me how to disassemble them. He told me how to properly strap, lift and haul the machine with the tables still attached. You don't want to lift it by strapping the tables. He asked that I send him the serial number and he'd give me details of the machine.

The tag on the machine indicated it came from a military base, so I'm supposing the military was the original owner.

Do you need a COI to remove it from the premises? How much will that cost?

No ins required. They have forklifts to haul anything folks need heavy hauling for and they load for you. I'm responsible for tying down my load. I spoke to a forklift driver about specific strapping and hauling and he said there's no problem accommodating me. Since I'm likely to need to disassemble some parts for cleaning and maybe some repair, I might as well disassemble the tables, there, making things easier to load and later unload. I'll copy OWWM parts list for when I disassemble it, just in case.

Just curious, that's all.

Curiosity is fun, too.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 4:53:57 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Are *they* insured for damage caused while lifting/loading? I assume it
wouldn't be for the real value of the unit, maybe not even for the price
you paid for it. Certainly wouldn't include the time you've expended so far..

Of course I'm not wishing for anything to happen, just curious (again) about
how these auctions work. The IRS auction that you posted the other day said this:

"Anyone removing non-hand carriable lots must provide IRS with a certificate
of insurance (COI) before purchased items can be removed."

The minimum coverage was $2,000,000. Curious as to what that would cost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 4:26:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are *they* insured for damage caused while lifting/loading? I assume it
wouldn't be for the real value of the unit, maybe not even for the price
you paid for it. Certainly wouldn't include the time you've expended so far.

I doubt the State is specifically insured for the items at these types of sales. There may be some insurance coverage if someone got hurt and no fault of their own. I assess the situation as walking into a government building, there's no special insurance required for visiting a government building. It's as if items are sold as is where is and there's no challenging a defect in the item or the handling of it. It's "understood", by me at least, that the folks are there to help and I think they do a very good job. I've never seen or heard of any incident at the State auction. Buyers are courteous, also.

As for as the items, the guys really go out of their way to be careful and are really helpful in every aspect of the sales. I view it as, when you agree to allow them to help (ask for their help), you, in essence, waive any fault that may occur.

IRS auctions (locations!!!!) are a different story. It's the companies property that one visits, so the companies have to protect themselves.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 5:11:03 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny

You know you will have to put one of those helical cutter heads in this jointer. Might as well do it while you are disassembling, cleaning, rehabilitating the machine. Ka-ching!!!! Add another $1000+ to the cost. The Byrd site says the generic 12" jointer head is $920. But you have a 16" jointer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 8:59:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 5:11:03 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
Oh, and to further answer a previous question....

Unloading shouldn't be a problem, with forks on the tractor and an engine hoist for parts during repair, assembly.

Sonny

You know you will have to put one of those helical cutter heads in this
jointer. Might as well do it while you are disassembling, cleaning,
rehabilitating the machine. Ka-ching!!!! Add another $1000+ to the cost.
The Byrd site says the generic 12" jointer head is $920. But you have a
16" jointer.

Sonny,

Save your money. Instead of a helical cutter head, just get one of these
and cut it to size. Shop time will be so relaxing. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/S4xl5qQ.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 8:37:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You suck!

Pictures please.

There's a pic from the State's auction website, page 139 on the first post's link, but here again. Don't know how long these pics will remain on the State's site.
https://www.doa.la.gov/lpaa/auction/...ril%202019.pdf

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

Congratulations! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:29:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

After inspecting it, I thought it would sell for at least $1500 and maybe go as high as $1800-2K for big-time woodworkers or collectors. I had planned on bidding $500 max, thinking several folks would run up the bidding. After my $350 bid, only I and one other remained bidding. He was hesitant each of his bids, so I thought he'd quit soon, which he did.

I'll go collect it Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Considering that the list price of a 16" Northfield jointer is around
$20,000, you officially suck very much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750
plus 15% buyers premium.

Congratulations!** : )

Bill

I went looking for info on the blades (4). Here are some of the
apparent specification in case anyone would like to see them:

Technical Specifications:
240/460V, 60CY, 3PH
3 HP Motor
Knife Size: 16" x 1-1/4" x 1/8"
Blades Per Head: 4
Cutting Circle 4-1/4"
Table Dimensions: 96" x 21" x 32-1/2"
Fence: 52" x 5-1/2" x 45 Degrees
Rabbet Depth: 5/8"

I don't know what they cost, but maybe you can sharpen the
existing blades?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 04:57:24 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750
plus 15% buyers premium.

Congratulations!** : )

Bill

I went looking for info on the blades (4). Here are some of the
apparent specification in case anyone would like to see them:

Technical Specifications:
240/460V, 60CY, 3PH
3 HP Motor
Knife Size: 16" x 1-1/4" x 1/8"
Blades Per Head: 4
Cutting Circle 4-1/4"
Table Dimensions: 96" x 21" x 32-1/2"
Fence: 52" x 5-1/2" x 45 Degrees
Rabbet Depth: 5/8"

I don't know what they cost, but maybe you can sharpen the
existing blades?

Amazon lists sets of three for about 20 bucks. Northfield has carbide
blades "call for price", also spiral cutterheads for a IIRC 1100
bucks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/13/2019 2:29 PM, Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

Kewl! The thing I left behind in TN have regretted the most is the 12"
Crescent and access to a 16" Oliver...

I did pick up a PM180 18" planer a couple years ago for that end of
things and the 8" Rockwell is fine, up to the point of what it can
handle....

I would part with the old Rockwell/Delta 13" industrial planer (not
lunchbox; "real iron") if anybody were interested...I had intended to
try to sell it locally but never got the round tuit to list it anywhere
or even call in the local AM "Radio-Bay" morning call-in show...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Here you go...you have no excuses now.

https://heavenlyhomemakers.com/wp-co...roudtuitsm.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:38:41 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Considering that the list price of a 16" Northfield jointer is around
$20,000, you officially suck very much.

This is not a new jointer by a long shot, so the value is nothing near $20k.. It has some issues, but is seems the bones of the machine are in good shape. I had 3 hours of inspection before the bidding began.

Many of the items at the State auction go for pretty cheap. The Powermatic bandsaw, page 130, went for $175; The Rockwell bandsaw, page 137, went for $125; The Lathe and planer, page 131, went for $75 and $150 respectively.
They all need some work, for functioning, but I think those prices are pretty good for someone willing to repair the machines.

Not many people are in the market for these sorts of machines. In the past, these sorts of machines come up a few times a year, so dedicated buyers have filled their bill of tools, as this. I had never seen a large jointer come up for sale in the many years I've viewed the sales. I'm on their mailing list for auction notification and viewing the pics and I suppose others are on the mailing list, also. Since this is a rarely available item, I thought there would be more bidders eager to have it. Maybe the fowl weather kept folks away.

I'll know more about its age when I hear back from the Northfield tech, the serial number. Since the auction pic was taken, a few more big iron pieces/items were placed on the jointer. I'm not sure these are part and party to the jointer. I'd like to think one might be the knife grinder.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 1:40:33 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750 plus 15% buyers premium.

Congratulations! : )

Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm a happy woodworker.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:57:30 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Sonny wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a Northfield 16HD aircraft carrier, $750
plus 15% buyers premium.

Congratulations!** : )

Bill

I went looking for info on the blades (4). Here are some of the
apparent specification in case anyone would like to see them:

Technical Specifications:
240/460V, 60CY, 3PH
3 HP Motor
Knife Size: 16" x 1-1/4" x 1/8"
Blades Per Head: 4
Cutting Circle 4-1/4"
Table Dimensions: 96" x 21" x 32-1/2"
Fence: 52" x 5-1/2" x 45 Degrees
Rabbet Depth: 5/8"

I don't know what they cost, but maybe you can sharpen the
existing blades?

The blades presently on the jointer seem to be 12" long. I'd be hesitant to use it in that improper(?) way. The owners manual states to not install blades of width less than 15/16". These 12" blades may be of improper width, as well.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2019 10:24 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:57:30 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

Knife Size: 16" x 1-1/4" x 1/8"
Blades Per Head: 4

I don't know what they cost, but maybe you can sharpen the
existing blades?

The blades presently on the jointer seem to be 12" long. I'd be hesitant to use it in that improper(?) way. The owners manual states to not install blades of width less than 15/16". These 12" blades may be of improper width, as well.

That's warning against sharpening them down to nothing; I doubt you
could find a new 16" knife 1".

Never hurts to check before cranking something old and unknown,
though...you already have 3P power I presume, either the real thing or a
converter.

If they are otherwise ok, I'd have no issues with running it temporarily
with only the 12" knives; just set them to the outer end of the head and
the fence to cover the rest. That way you have the use of the rabbet shelf.

That was one of the why's in the end I left the Crescent (besides that
the truck was getting full of the shop before even starting on the
household items) and there isn't any at the farm. I ended up be so
frustrated with the 13" limit on the planer w/o access to anything else
I bought a converter from Phoenix to power the PM180 and found a
throwawy 5hp DC to go with it...now I wish had the jointer to match.

Saw the note on the "other iron" added since...the guy went ahead and
threw in the knife sharpening attachment for the 180 planer gratis,
too...guess he realized chances of unloading it were rather limited
given the age of the machine and how few there would be still running
one that didn't already have...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2019 10:12 AM, Sonny wrote:

Many of the items at the State auction go for pretty cheap. The Powermatic bandsaw, page 130, went for $175; The Rockwell bandsaw, page 137, went for $125; The Lathe and planer, page 131, went for $75 and $150 respectively.
They all need some work, for functioning, but I think those prices are pretty good for someone willing to repair the machines.

That is good...

Not many people are in the market for these sorts of machines. In the past, these sorts of machines come up a few times a year, so dedicated buyers have filled their bill of tools, as this. I had never seen a large jointer come up for sale in the many years I've viewed the sales. I'm on their mailing list for auction notification and viewing the pics and I suppose others are on the mailing list, also. Since this is a rarely available item, I thought there would be more bidders eager to have it. Maybe the fowl weather kept folks away.

They come up quite a bit in the IRS auctions or other
distressed/bankrupt sales of businesses...the Crescent actually came
from a TVA (Tenn Valley Authority) sale from one of the mothballed
construction sites.

The kicker for most individuals is the 3Ph conundrum for big-enough
stuff it really needs that size motor -- by the time you add in either
conversion route and the bulk hassle, most just kinda' wish but don't
actually bite. Newer stuff, larger more specialized sales may bring out
some small commercial shops or the like that add real interest not just
"kicking iron"...

I'll know more about its age when I hear back from the Northfield tech, the serial number. Since the auction pic was taken, a few more big iron pieces/items were placed on the jointer. I'm not sure these are part and party to the jointer. I'd like to think one might be the knife grinder.

Keep us posted...love the details!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:18:51 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Keep us posted...love the details!

Email reply from Northfield tech:

S/N 74498-B is a Northfield 16 HD Patternmakers Jointer, w/ 7.5HP Direct Motor Drive, 4-Knife Head, Hand Brake, Switch on Brake, 110 volt at PushButton, Table Locks, Front & Rear Guards & Two-way Tilting Fence. It left our plant on Jan 16, 1976 & shipped to The Thiocol Corp, ammo plant in Doyline, LA. It originally sold for $4,873.00 & we have not heard from it until now.

The fact that this is a Patternmaker poses problems for Infeed Table Remove..
Please call me & we can discuss it;

Regards
Jeff Machacek
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:47:35 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:18:51 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Keep us posted...love the details!

Email reply from Northfield tech:

S/N 74498-B is a Northfield 16 HD Patternmakers Jointer, w/ 7.5HP Direct Motor Drive, 4-Knife Head, Hand Brake, Switch on Brake, 110 volt at PushButton, Table Locks, Front & Rear Guards & Two-way Tilting Fence. It left our plant on Jan 16, 1976 & shipped to The Thiocol Corp, ammo plant in Doyline, LA. It originally sold for $4,873.00 & we have not heard from it until now.

ET didn't phone home? ;-)

The fact that this is a Patternmaker poses problems for Infeed Table Remove.
Please call me & we can discuss it;

Uh-Oh :-(

I hope this all works out for you. Keep us informed. Intriguing to say the
least.

Regards
Jeff Machacek

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:59:38 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Uh-Oh :-(

I hope this all works out for you. Keep us informed. Intriguing to say the
least.

Spoke to Jeff a bit ago. For transport (reducing the weight), I can remove the infeed table's top itself (6 bolts attachment), without removing the top's movable (pattern maker aspect) base. The out feed table will be easy to remove. With this weight reduction, I can load the bulk of the jointer on my smaller trailer.... parts & pieces in the back of my truck.

Jeff states, again, to bolt the base (feet) to 2X8s or 2X10s with 1/2" carriage bolts, to stabilize it on the trailer.... plus the strapping down across the legs' bases, not on the table's aspects. Lift it by the body, i.e., inside each leg and on each side of the (central) dust chute.

Seems easy enough.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2019 11:15 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Kewl! 7.5HP, though, not just 3.5 or 5...you have direct 3PH service or
enough of converter to handle it already?

I thought that it probably was direct drive from the picture but
couldn't tell for certain.

And, yeah, you definitely don't want to pick up except from the bottom;
the tables aren't handles... Trying that will undoubtedly turn it
into nothing but scrap iron immediately.

That's totally awesome Northfield is still so responsive...makes what
happened to Delta and to somewhat lesser extent Powermatic even more
disappointing.

I'm envious...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
[...]

Adjusted for inflation, that's a $22,000 jointer..... Pretty much
out of the class of Rockwell/Delta or Powermatic tools; and not suprising
that they still support them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 2:33:56 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Adjusted for inflation, that's a $22,000 jointer..... Pretty much
out of the class of Rockwell/Delta or Powermatic tools; and not suprising
that they still support them.

This machine has issues, so its value is much lower than a functioning machine. I'll have to do some repairs, hopefully not major, and lots of cleaning, probably some adjusting of stuff, also, maybe. I need to "learn" the machine to figure out what needs tuning up, etc., if need be. I'm not familiar with this caliber of machine, but I'll learn.

For the time being, I searched for specs as to the machine's footprint, to drill holes in the 2X10 supports for transport. Didn't find specs, but found this video about Northfield. I'm impressed. I think I, now, know what Jeff looks like, should I need to contact him, again. Putting a face to a voice is nice. He obviously knows his stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z59Kp8SbbfM

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z59Kp8SbbfM?autoplay=1&start=400&end=458
In the last seconds of the above clip Jeff says: "If you don't have a
pattern shop, don't buy one." So, is a 'pattern makers jointer' ONLY
for _angled_ jointing and is incapable of true 90deg edge jointing?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2019 8:09 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z59Kp8SbbfM?autoplay=1&start=400&end=458
In the last seconds of the above clip Jeff says: "If you don't have a
pattern shop, don't buy one." So, is a 'pattern makers jointer' ONLY
for _angled_ jointing and is incapable of true 90deg edge jointing?

A pattern makers jointer has a tilting infeed table mechanism (typically
+/-10 deg or so) for the draft needed for casting patterns. When the
table is set at zero draft, it operates just like any other but
obviously to produce such a beast (especially with 16" head/tables)
ain't a-gonna' be cheap. And, of course, it explains the extra
complication of removing the infeed table to ship.

What Jeff is saying is there's no need for the extra expense unless you
have the specific need. That this one happens to be is an extra bonus
for collectable whether Sonny will ever find a use for the feature or not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 8:25:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

That this one happens to be is an extra bonus
for collectable whether Sonny will ever find a use for the feature or not.

I don't and won't do production work. The machine was available, cheap, so I snapped it up. I'll likely rarely use it, except for simply surfacing, no pattern making. I'll likely set it at a permanent minimum cut and leave it at that setting.

I'm leaving now to go get it.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2019 9:51 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 8:25:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

That this one happens to be is an extra bonus
for collectable whether Sonny will ever find a use for the feature or not.

I don't and won't do production work. The machine was available, cheap, so I snapped it up. I'll likely rarely use it, except for simply surfacing, no pattern making. I'll likely set it at a permanent minimum cut and leave it at that setting.

I'm leaving now to go get it.

You be gone already, but...be careful!!!

--dpb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:09:13 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Sonny wrote:

[...]

It's not that so much that apparently getting it square can be fiddly.

Here's post that goes into more detail on its tricks
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?26671-quot-pattermakers-quot-jointer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 12:29:55 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

You be gone already, but...be careful!!!

Thanks. Always cautious using the single axle trailer. A flat can flip the trailer. I drove much slower than the traffic.

Took about 2 hours to disassemble some parts, then loaded on the trailer in the hot 80° sun. Secured the 2x10 foot pads to the trailer, then drove out their gate under the Miss. R. bridge (in the shade) to strap down.

I'll probably leave it on trailer until after Easter.

2 Pics under bridge, scroll right. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 9:03:08 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 12:29:55 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

You be gone already, but...be careful!!!

Thanks. Always cautious using the single axle trailer. A flat can flip the trailer. I drove much slower than the traffic.

Took about 2 hours to disassemble some parts, then loaded on the trailer in the hot 80° sun. Secured the 2x10 foot pads to the trailer, then drove out their gate under the Miss. R. bridge (in the shade) to strap down.

I'll probably leave it on trailer until after Easter.

2 Pics under bridge, scroll right. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

No pictures of you putting air in those tires? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2019 8:03 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 12:29:55 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

You be gone already, but...be careful!!!

Thanks. Always cautious using the single axle trailer. A flat can flip the trailer. I drove much slower than the traffic.

Took about 2 hours to disassemble some parts, then loaded on the trailer in the hot 80° sun. Secured the 2x10 foot pads to the trailer, then drove out their gate under the Miss. R. bridge (in the shade) to strap down.

I'll probably leave it on trailer until after Easter.

2 Pics under bridge, scroll right. https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Did you get (maybe it was in earlier data but I don't recall it) a
weight on the beast from Northfield?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 12:36:40 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Did you get (maybe it was in earlier data but I don't recall it) a
weight on the beast from Northfield?

Didn't get that info from Jeff, but did via this chart on their website. 1825 lbs.
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/heavy.htm

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 4:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 12:36:40 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Did you get (maybe it was in earlier data but I don't recall it) a
weight on the beast from Northfield?

Didn't get that info from Jeff, but did via this chart on their website. 1825 lbs.
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/heavy.htm

Sonny

I thought it might be more than that, even...that's not too bad.

My first thought w/ the PM180 planer to put it back in the back of the
barn where I wanted it was to use the little JD 955 utility tractor that
will (just) go down the driveway and the 3pt bale mover...it couldn't
pick it up. It's a little over 1600 lb and that hydraulic maxes out at
about 1000 at the link I discovered...

Ended up renting a pallet mover because the barn is too low to get
anything any bigger inside...hopefully your shop lets something inside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 8:06:23 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Ended up renting a pallet mover because the barn is too low to get
anything any bigger inside...hopefully your shop lets something inside.

Probably won't go into the wood shop for a good while. Need to check everything out to get it in running shape. The barn has storage accommodations for the time being.

A few things/parts are broken, like a hand wheel, motor end cover, a spring loaded gadget on the side of a table. Dust chute needs some screws. I'll take pics and send to Northfield, get some prices and probably more advice.

The paint looks good, only dirty... dirt on the interior, also. Table tops look good, only surface rust on about half the surfaces. Seems the machine was under cover, not open to any weather.

I suspect the broken parts were broken recently, otherwise they would have been discarded long ago, maybe.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 8:54 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Be kewl to see...have you done search on the OWWM site to see if any
others been posted for the particular model? I know there are ones out
there, didn't check specifically for the pattern makers version.

Most of those things sound mostly cosmetic altho the broken handwheel is
so obvious that while it still works it just isn't pleasing...

So, did you get any real surprises like there being a knife grinder
attachment or the like?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2019 8:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:34:57 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

... but never got the round tuit to list it anywhere
or even call in the local AM "Radio-Bay" morning call-in show...

Here you go...you have no excuses now.

https://heavenlyhomemakers.com/wp-co...roudtuitsm.jpg

Oh, absolutely what I do _NOT_ want a ready supply of at hand...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:46:17 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Be kewl to see...have you done search on the OWWM site to see if any
others been posted for the particular model? I know there are ones out
there, didn't check specifically for the pattern makers version.

About the only thing I looked for and studied was the parts manual, for disassembly yesterday. I might post pics, comments, etc. to OWWM, later. The parts pdf on OWWM has the right edge of the pages clipped off... can't read all of it. I'll likely order a manual from Northield - $30 + shipping.

You might notice the strapping (red ratchet and a rope) around the infeed table (on the trailer). I had loosened something, can't recall, and that table top moves a bit. I tied it steady for transport, will look into that looseness, later. I'm puzzled by that looseness. I did turn the raise/lower wheel, to see how the table assembly moves (smoothly). I may have not snugged the locking knob.

Most of those things sound mostly cosmetic altho the broken handwheel is
so obvious that while it still works it just isn't pleasing...

So, did you get any real surprises like there being a knife grinder
attachment or the like?

It's not the grinder. There's another big piece of iron with gear teeth. Have no idea what this is, but has a similar yellow wheel/crank/round tuit.. It looks like some kind of fence (about 30" long, attachment to table similar to the fence, heavy as heck). May not be for the jointer, though(?).. I'll take pics.

The outfeed table is hinged to its incline block, 3 screws per hinge. Remove the screws and the top comes off. There are locking knobs at each hinge site. Page 17 of this pdf, lower pic, item #9 is the locking knob. A screw is shown each side of the knob, the knob hides the center screw. This top swings up and sideways, i.e., easy access for maintenance/cleaning on the inside. There are locking knobs on the other side/edge, also.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/601/15200.pdf

Hinge pics and forklift driver, 3 pics, scroll right. Driver was very patient and accommodating with lifting, loading, as per my directions. I'll send a message to LPAA folks in appreciation of his efforts. The pic shows the jointer lifted, for my installing 2X10 "foot pads".
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Just got feedback from Jeff (Northfield). I registered the jointer with Northfield. He wants pics. Will take better pics with camera, rather than phone. Jeff is prompt, eager to assist, +10. Probably by next week, or so, will have info about replacement parts, questions and other issues I want to send him.

Sonny