Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 4:26:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are *they* insured for damage caused while lifting/loading? I assume it
wouldn't be for the real value of the unit, maybe not even for the price
you paid for it. Certainly wouldn't include the time you've expended so far.

I doubt the State is specifically insured for the items at these types of sales. There may be some insurance coverage if someone got hurt and no fault of their own. I assess the situation as walking into a government building, there's no special insurance required for visiting a government building. It's as if items are sold as is where is and there's no challenging a defect in the item or the handling of it. It's "understood", by me at least, that the folks are there to help and I think they do a very good job. I've never seen or heard of any incident at the State auction. Buyers are courteous, also.

As for as the items, the guys really go out of their way to be careful and are really helpful in every aspect of the sales. I view it as, when you agree to allow them to help (ask for their help), you, in essence, waive any fault that may occur.

IRS auctions (locations!!!!) are a different story. It's the companies property that one visits, so the companies have to protect themselves.

Sonny