Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reducing Noise from nearby busy street

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this
noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1148109-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/17 8:44 PM, Nyknba wrote:
I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2
lanes
in each direction.Â* Are there any remedies I can implement to help
reduce this
noise?Â* I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations?
Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

Trees, bushes, sound wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 01:44:03 GMT, Nyknba m
wrote:

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this
noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

From "Architectural Accoustics; Functional Requirements Design & Technology" (U.S. Naval
Facilities Engineering Command; Design Manual 1.03; May 1985; page 27):

*****
7. WINDOWS. Fixed windows will be close to their laboratory STC rating. Operable sash windows
can be 10 STC less than the lab rating due to sound leaks at the window frame. Gaskets are
necessary for a proper seal. Some window units will have unit STC ratings which would be a
rating of both the gasketing and glass type. According to mass law, the heavier the glass the
better the noise reduction. Table 11 provides STC ratings on several glass and operable window
types. Double-glazed units are no better than singleglazed if the air space is 1/2 inch (12mm)
or thinner. This is due to a resonance condition created by a close air coupling of the glass
panes. This type of glass should be avoided near truck, train, or aircraft noise. A 2-inch
(50mm) airspace between glass panes will provide better noise reduction. This could be a
typical.storm sash and is recommended for truck, train, or aircraft noise. Laminated glass has
superior noise reduction capabilities. Installing glass in a neoprene "U" channel and
installing sound-absorbing material on the jamb between the panes will also improve noise
reduction. Special acoustical window units are available for critical installations.
*****

In my house, on the street-facing walls, I put a set of double-glazed windows in the usual
"outside" position, and another set on the inside walls, with mini-blinds in between. Truly a
pain to clean the larger ones, but the blinds stay nice and clean ;-), and the sound-reduction
is very noticible.

I've also heard of double-glazed windows where one of the panes is thicker glass than the
other, in order to "decouple" the vibration.

For walls, you can "stagger-stud", so that the interior (usually sheetrock) is attached to
every-other stud, and the exterior is attached to the alternates. Using rock-wool for
insulation helps a bit, too. Of course, re-doing existing walls is expensive. Tapestries, or
decorative towels, or even carpeting on the walls helps a lot too.

I experimented one time, putting egg-flats on all the interior walls of a room in a house that
was situated much like yours. One small furniture tack in each flat. Did all four walls, and
the two doors, floor to ceiling (Floors were carpeted concrete). The sensation was startling.
It was very much an an-echoic chamber. The only traffic sounds to make it thru, were the
low-freq, ground rumbles, which I had never even heard before putting up the egg-flats.
Unfortunately, it's not a popular decorating technique :-(

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do a search for sound absorbing paint. You'll find several.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8:47:20 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 10/22/17 8:44 PM, Nyknba wrote:

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2
lanes
in each direction.Â* Are there any remedies I can implement to help
reduce this
noise?Â* I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations?
Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

Trees, bushes, sound wall.

Yes, trees and bushes are excellent sound absorbers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Nyknba wrote:
I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this
noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.
--

Hire a noise control expert and post him outside your house. There is one who can get the noise under control rather quickly. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZ6-6RbSEg

[8~{} Uncle Noisy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/10/2017 10:23, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Nyknba wrote:
I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this
noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.
--

Hire a noise control expert and post him outside your house. There is one who can get the noise under control rather quickly. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZ6-6RbSEg

[8~{} Uncle Noisy Monster

Triple glazed windows?

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 4:26:08 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
[...]

The noise control expert has glazed eyes. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Window Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 4:32:26 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
[...]

If you watched the video, you will see his eyes. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Eyed Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

[8~{} Uncle Noisy Monster

Triple glazed windows?
--
Bod

The noise control expert has glazed eyes. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Window Monster

Cataracts?
--
Bod

If you watched the video, you will see his eyes. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

[8~{} Uncle Eyed Monster

That was bloody funny. Thanks for that :-)

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:26:01 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

I blocked off my bedroom window with wood, with 6 inches of corrugated
cardboard behind it.Â* I can no longer hear the bypass.

Perhaps electric cars will reduce noise if they ever get going.

I think it's mainly *road noise* that you hear from motorways etc, so
in theory electric cars won't reduce the noise dramatically.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:36:53 -0700 (PDT),
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8:47:20 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 10/22/17 8:44 PM, Nyknba wrote:

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2
lanes
in each direction.* Are there any remedies I can implement to help
reduce this
noise?* I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations?
Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

Trees, bushes, sound wall.

Yes, trees and bushes are excellent sound absorbers.

They absorb much of it but then later they emit some of the sounds
they've absorbed. Late at night when the traffic has stopped, if you put
your ear next to the bush you can hear that day's traffic noise.

Police who know about this and get there soon enough have gathered
audible evidence about crimes committed close to the bushes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:16:45 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Do a search for sound absorbing paint. You'll find several.

The paint may absorbe the sound, but later it emits much of the absorbed
sound, and that can make it hard to sleep.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beavis and Butthead are at it, AGAIN! LOL

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:15:14 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I blocked off my bedroom window with wood, with 6 inches of corrugated
cardboard behind it. I can no longer hear the bypass.

Perhaps electric cars will reduce noise if they ever get going.

More relevant question, what will reduce YOUR idiotic noise that you keep
spreading everywhere, Birdbrain?

--
More from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange world:
"Someone (a Scotsman) once told me he doesn't bother wiping his arse if he's
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 14:24:36 +0100, serbian bitch Razovic, the resident
Shein's jew aliash)", farted again:

If I stand in a layby, I'd say 50% of the noise sounds like engines and
50% sounds like tyres. Of course tyres and tarmac could also be improved
for silence.

There seems to be no way to improve YOU endlessly driveling idiot for
silence!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) "deep thinking":
"Every nation is equally stupid with regards to temperatures. I can't wait
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:35:39 +0100, Bod wrote:

That was bloody funny. Thanks for that :-)

"...Achmed The Dead Terrorist speaks with President-elect Wonald Grump
in this EXCLUSIVE post-election interview! Hear what he has to say
about the protests and his upcoming time in the Whitehouse. Happy
Turkey-day!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sufgWZK5c4
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nyknba posted for all of us...

I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction. Are there any remedies I can implement to help reduce this
noise? I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations? Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1148109-.htm

Put a toll booth in front of your house.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

[...]

Sort of like "The Whispering Pines"?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

Glazed over...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:32:16 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Put a toll booth in front of your house.

.... speed bumps, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Put a toll booth in front of your house.

... speed bumps, too.

Put posters up "STOP" ! ROAD CLOSED _ "LAND MINE CLEARANCE AHEAD".

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do a search for sound absorbing paint. You'll find several.

The paint may absorbe the sound, but later it emits much of the absorbed
sound, and that can make it hard to sleep.

Maybe he can collect the sound and sell it for rock concerts and such.
It can be a money maker!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2017 9:44 PM, Nyknba wrote:
I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is 40mph with 2
lanes
in each direction.Â* Are there any remedies I can implement to help
reduce this
noise?Â* I have double glazed windows as well. Any recommendations?
Looking for
some cheap options as well as any possible costly ones.

Steal some 25 mph signs from a city street and post them in place of the
40's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:41:24 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH idiot's drivel

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) life as a ******:
"When I was 14, there were places in forests where people would leave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/17 9:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I am trying to reduce the noise I hear from inside and
outside my home. The
noise is a constant hum and vibration from the cars on the
Main Street in
which I live .30 miles from. Speed limit on the street is
40mph with 2 lanes
in each direction.Â* Are there any remedies I can implement
to help reduce this
noise?Â* I have double glazed windows as well. Any
recommendations?

Sometimes, the only solution is... to move.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do a search for sound absorbing paint. You'll find several.

I hadn't heard of this but for the sake of these two posts, I'll assume
it works:

I'll admit I haven't looked, but unless he's going to paint his windows,
doesn't he have to paint the rooms that face the windows?

I think the sound is coming in through the windows, not the walls, so
even if his house is painted and he paints the house outside, won't that
just change how much is reflected back at the street, not how much comes
into the house?

Depends on his climate and how much insulation is in the walls.