Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 9:46:17 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Be kewl to see...have you done search on the OWWM site to see if any
others been posted for the particular model? I know there are ones out
there, didn't check specifically for the pattern makers version.

About the only thing I looked for and studied was the parts manual, for disassembly yesterday. I might post pics, comments, etc. to OWWM, later. The parts pdf on OWWM has the right edge of the pages clipped off... can't read all of it. I'll likely order a manual from Northield - $30 + shipping.

You might notice the strapping (red ratchet and a rope) around the infeed table (on the trailer). I had loosened something, can't recall, and that table top moves a bit. I tied it steady for transport, will look into that looseness, later. I'm puzzled by that looseness. I did turn the raise/lower wheel, to see how the table assembly moves (smoothly). I may have not snugged the locking knob.

Most of those things sound mostly cosmetic altho the broken handwheel is
so obvious that while it still works it just isn't pleasing...

So, did you get any real surprises like there being a knife grinder
attachment or the like?

It's not the grinder. There's another big piece of iron with gear teeth. Have no idea what this is, but has a similar yellow wheel/crank/round tuit.. It looks like some kind of fence (about 30" long, attachment to table similar to the fence, heavy as heck). May not be for the jointer, though(?).. I'll take pics.

The outfeed table is hinged to its incline block, 3 screws per hinge. Remove the screws and the top comes off. There are locking knobs at each hinge site. Page 17 of this pdf, lower pic, item #9 is the locking knob. A screw is shown each side of the knob, the knob hides the center screw. This top swings up and sideways, i.e., easy access for maintenance/cleaning on the inside. There are locking knobs on the other side/edge, also.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/601/15200.pdf

Hinge pics and forklift driver, 3 pics, scroll right. Driver was very patient and accommodating with lifting, loading, as per my directions. I'll send a message to LPAA folks in appreciation of his efforts. The pic shows the jointer lifted, for my installing 2X10 "foot pads".
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Just got feedback from Jeff (Northfield). I registered the jointer with Northfield. He wants pics. Will take better pics with camera, rather than phone. Jeff is prompt, eager to assist, +10. Probably by next week, or so, will have info about replacement parts, questions and other issues I want to send him.

Sonny