Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:38:41 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

Considering that the list price of a 16" Northfield jointer is around
$20,000, you officially suck very much.

This is not a new jointer by a long shot, so the value is nothing near $20k.. It has some issues, but is seems the bones of the machine are in good shape. I had 3 hours of inspection before the bidding began.

Many of the items at the State auction go for pretty cheap. The Powermatic bandsaw, page 130, went for $175; The Rockwell bandsaw, page 137, went for $125; The Lathe and planer, page 131, went for $75 and $150 respectively.
They all need some work, for functioning, but I think those prices are pretty good for someone willing to repair the machines.

Not many people are in the market for these sorts of machines. In the past, these sorts of machines come up a few times a year, so dedicated buyers have filled their bill of tools, as this. I had never seen a large jointer come up for sale in the many years I've viewed the sales. I'm on their mailing list for auction notification and viewing the pics and I suppose others are on the mailing list, also. Since this is a rarely available item, I thought there would be more bidders eager to have it. Maybe the fowl weather kept folks away.

I'll know more about its age when I hear back from the Northfield tech, the serial number. Since the auction pic was taken, a few more big iron pieces/items were placed on the jointer. I'm not sure these are part and party to the jointer. I'd like to think one might be the knife grinder.

Sonny