Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

On 4/14/2019 10:24 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:57:30 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

Knife Size: 16" x 1-1/4" x 1/8"
Blades Per Head: 4

I don't know what they cost, but maybe you can sharpen the
existing blades?

The blades presently on the jointer seem to be 12" long. I'd be hesitant to use it in that improper(?) way. The owners manual states to not install blades of width less than 15/16". These 12" blades may be of improper width, as well.

That's warning against sharpening them down to nothing; I doubt you
could find a new 16" knife 1".

Never hurts to check before cranking something old and unknown,
though...you already have 3P power I presume, either the real thing or a
converter.

If they are otherwise ok, I'd have no issues with running it temporarily
with only the 12" knives; just set them to the outer end of the head and
the fence to cover the rest. That way you have the use of the rabbet shelf.

That was one of the why's in the end I left the Crescent (besides that
the truck was getting full of the shop before even starting on the
household items) and there isn't any at the farm. I ended up be so
frustrated with the 13" limit on the planer w/o access to anything else
I bought a converter from Phoenix to power the PM180 and found a
throwawy 5hp DC to go with it...now I wish had the jointer to match.

Saw the note on the "other iron" added since...the guy went ahead and
threw in the knife sharpening attachment for the 180 planer gratis,
too...guess he realized chances of unloading it were rather limited
given the age of the machine and how few there would be still running
one that didn't already have...