Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

On 4/14/2019 10:12 AM, Sonny wrote:

Many of the items at the State auction go for pretty cheap. The Powermatic bandsaw, page 130, went for $175; The Rockwell bandsaw, page 137, went for $125; The Lathe and planer, page 131, went for $75 and $150 respectively.
They all need some work, for functioning, but I think those prices are pretty good for someone willing to repair the machines.

That is good...

Not many people are in the market for these sorts of machines. In the past, these sorts of machines come up a few times a year, so dedicated buyers have filled their bill of tools, as this. I had never seen a large jointer come up for sale in the many years I've viewed the sales. I'm on their mailing list for auction notification and viewing the pics and I suppose others are on the mailing list, also. Since this is a rarely available item, I thought there would be more bidders eager to have it. Maybe the fowl weather kept folks away.

They come up quite a bit in the IRS auctions or other
distressed/bankrupt sales of businesses...the Crescent actually came
from a TVA (Tenn Valley Authority) sale from one of the mothballed
construction sites.

The kicker for most individuals is the 3Ph conundrum for big-enough
stuff it really needs that size motor -- by the time you add in either
conversion route and the bulk hassle, most just kinda' wish but don't
actually bite. Newer stuff, larger more specialized sales may bring out
some small commercial shops or the like that add real interest not just
"kicking iron"...

I'll know more about its age when I hear back from the Northfield tech, the serial number. Since the auction pic was taken, a few more big iron pieces/items were placed on the jointer. I'm not sure these are part and party to the jointer. I'd like to think one might be the knife grinder.

Keep us posted...love the details!