Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Jun 6, 9:51*pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
Ugh - older people loose red sensing. *Color blind loos other colors.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/6/2010 7:31 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

In , *wrote:
On 6/6/10 6:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In ,
* wrote:

All I've been seeing in this thread is how the NEC was originally
intended to keep stupid contractors from burning down houses.

I don't see how replacing two words that are spelled very differently
with two words that are spelled almost identically helps that cause.

Perhaps they could have made better choices, perhaps not.

Perhaps not!? * Really?

*I* don't have any trouble keeping the two terms straight. ;-)

Perhaps whoever came up with the traffic light made the better choice
between red-yellow-green and red-yellow-brown. *:-)

Considering that a small but significant fraction of males see both red and
green as brown, red-yellow-blue would have been a much better choice.

But the NEC does
very clearly and explicitly define the terms "Grounded conductor" and
"Grounding conductor" in Article 100.

I would hope so.

They define *everything*.- Hide quoted text -

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.
One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

In places where there's low clearance (e.g. traffic light just on the other
side of a bridge), the lights will be laid sideways. Is red on the left, or
the right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 10:39*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:45*pm, (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
munications,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Swingman
wrote:
On 6/1/2010 5:05 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]
Don't presume to lecture me on residential electrical installations. You
have
no idea.

Ayup!!

BTW, you're getting mellow in your old age, Doug! *

Thanks, Swing, I've been working on that actually...

Don't work with A/C ower then. *it's *RE*VOLTING*. * * groan

I'm shocked that I didn't see that coming.

"No mho" says Tom, without reluctance.- Hide quoted text -

These jokes are beyond my capacitance. They amply deserve to be
inducted into the Groaner Hall Of Fame.

Say watt? You should be kicked in the shorts for that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2010 11:46 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.

Or in Darkest Canuckistan, where just to complicate matters the stop
signs say "arret".

One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 11:46*am, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.
One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Yes, there is a standard. It's *always* Red on left, Yellow in the
middle and Green on the right.

Gee, I wonder if they standarized the positions for color-blind
drivers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 1:31*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:39*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jun 6, 5:45*pm, (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
munications,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Swingman
wrote:
On 6/1/2010 5:05 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]
Don't presume to lecture me on residential electrical installations. You
have
no idea.

Ayup!!

BTW, you're getting mellow in your old age, Doug! *

Thanks, Swing, I've been working on that actually...

Don't work with A/C ower then. *it's *RE*VOLTING*. * * groan

I'm shocked that I didn't see that coming.

"No mho" says Tom, without reluctance.- Hide quoted text -

These jokes are beyond my capacitance. They amply deserve to be
inducted into the Groaner Hall Of Fame.

Say watt? *You should be kicked in the shorts for that.- Hide quoted text -

I'm open to other suggestions than a kick in the shorts.

I would resist that with all of my power.

Please relay that to all involved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/10 1:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:46 am, wrote:
On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.
One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

Yes, there is a standard. It's *always* Red on left, Yellow in the
middle and Green on the right.

Gee, I wonder if they standarized the positions for color-blind
drivers.

But who knows that?
Ask 100 drivers where the green is: top/middle/bottom, you'll get 99
answers of bottom.
Ask 100 drivers where the green is: left/center/right, you'll get 49/50
response, with "center" from the moron who didn't get the first question
right.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 1:11*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:46*am, -MIKE- wrote:

On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.
One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Yes, there is a standard. It's *always* Red on left, Yellow in the
middle and Green on the right.

Gee, I wonder if they standarized the positions for color-blind
drivers.

Yes, on the left (in the US). ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 11:46*am, -MIKE- wrote:

On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.
One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Yes, there is a standard. It's *always* Red on left, Yellow in the
middle and Green on the right.

Gee, I wonder if they standarized the positions for color-blind
drivers.

Yes, on the left (in the US). *;-)- Hide quoted text -

Is red on the right *of the fixture* (not the road) outside of the US?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jun 9, 1:31 pm, " wrote:
On Jun 9, 10:39 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jun 6, 5:45 pm, (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

In article ,

Doug Miller wrote:
In article
munications,
(Robert Bonomi) wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
Swingman
wrote:
On 6/1/2010 5:05 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]
Don't presume to lecture me on residential electrical
installations. You
have
no idea.

Ayup!!

BTW, you're getting mellow in your old age, Doug!

Thanks, Swing, I've been working on that actually...

Don't work with A/C ower then. it's *RE*VOLTING*. groan

I'm shocked that I didn't see that coming.

"No mho" says Tom, without reluctance.- Hide quoted text -

These jokes are beyond my capacitance. They amply deserve to be
inducted into the Groaner Hall Of Fame.

Say watt? You should be kicked in the shorts for that.- Hide quoted text -

I'm open to other suggestions than a kick in the shorts.

I would resist that with all of my power.

Please relay that to all involved.

I think this has impeded Henry's thread. Some may recoil or choke if they
are wound too tight.

Contact information: Normally closed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't think I have ever seen a traffic light turned sideways in
Canuckistan
The Red is always a larger lens.

Is red on the right *of the fixture* (not the road) outside of the US?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gee, I wonder if they standarized the positions for color-blind
drivers.

Works for me ...

The rare time I have trouble is at night with a blinking light at a
cross roads. I either do the same as the car in front of me, pulling
over and letting someone pass as the bell cow if need be; or slow to a
complete stop if necessary, and/or proceed with caution.

Also these idiot designed new left turn lights threw me the first time I
saw them in Austin last year, and now they're spreading to the rest of
Texas.

With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

AFAIK there is no color blind test for driving in any place in the US
I've lived. However, there was in Germany ... I failed, but got the
license anyway because I was the ranking Army officer in the area at the
time .. the old Germanic respect for authority, safety be damned, I
suppose.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/09/10 4:45 PM, Josepi wrote:
I don't think I have ever seen a traffic light turned sideways in
Canuckistan
The Red is always a larger lens.

http://www.gothereguide.com/Montreal...ture,montreal/

Ok, it is Quebec, but there you have it.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news

[...]

Up until about 10 years ago Bessemer, AL's traffic lights in the older
parts of town only had a red and green light with no yellow warning.
Made for interesting driving and the city cops were wore out at the end
of the day from writing tickets to red light runners.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 9, 11:46*am, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Depends. In the UK the standardized position for color-blind drivers is on
the right. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:50:22 -0500, "basilisk" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
news

[...]

Poughkeepsie NY used to have two-light traffic lights. The transition from
green to red (nominally the yellow light) was indicated by red and green being
lit simultaneously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had to design a control circuit for a garage light system where the
Engineer would not accept the responsibilty of ordering the wrong parts.

Very confusing for everybody.

wrote in message
Poughkeepsie NY used to have two-light traffic lights. The transition from
green to red (nominally the yellow light) was indicated by red and green
being
lit simultaneously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Josepi" X-Complaints-to: wrote:
Canuckistan red is always larger.

That's a good idea. We should do that here too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um... duh!?

What's next, "Don't drive though intersection while light is red?"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um... duh!?

What's next, "Don't drive though intersection while light is red?"

In all of the languages allowed on the license test ....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Then there is the universal symbols that are cryptic and your think they
mean the opposite.

Do they have a gay symbol for bathroom doors? "--"

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um... duh!?

What's next, "Don't drive though intersection while light is red?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yea but if you can't tell if the lamp is lit or not - what does it matter!

Also - the lamps are verticle and horizontal in use. Still it has a place,
but like I said - if red not seen well - it won't light up when it really does.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/9/2010 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
http://www.gothereguide.com/Montreal...ture,montreal/

Ok, it is Quebec, but there you have it.

No idea, just remembered seeing them the last time I was in the
province. So I tried to Google a picture, as evidence.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd propose a double set.
A wide spectrum lamp projecting through symbols. Multi-lingual as it were.

I hate to see the Alto signs in the U.S. - English is the language of the land
and government. The law (immigration) states learning English as a step into
citizenship. Even if 'Latins' are here for a lark or work - they should learn
the language.

On 6/9/2010 1:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:46 am, wrote:
On 6/9/10 10:42 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"older people loose red sensing"

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.

Unless their mounted horizontally, like under bridges or in hurricane
prone areas.
One could presume they might have a standard for which side green is on,
in those cases.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Yes, there is a standard. It's *always* Red on left, Yellow in the
middle and Green on the right.

Gee, I wonder if they standarized the positions for color-blind
drivers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:18:09 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um... duh!?

That one makes some sense. A green arrow is an indication that your
right-of-way is clear. A green does not. Would you rather it said "left turn
yields on red"? ...also legal in some instances, BTW.

What's next, "Don't drive though intersection while light is red?"

That's what the camera thingy is for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/10 10:37 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:18:09 -0500, wrote:

On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um... duh!?

That one makes some sense. A green arrow is an indication that your
right-of-way is clear. A green does not. Would you rather it said "left turn
yields on red"? ...also legal in some instances, BTW.

I would rather it said nothing. Why state the obvious... that's my point.
The norm is that a left turn yields to oncoming traffic.
The exception is having a green arrow that tell you things are
different, now.
There's no need for a sign stating an exception to the exception to
point back to the norm.
When there is no exception (arrow) to the norm (green light), there's no
need to state the norm.

Like I said, we don't have signs all over the place stating the norms,
ie: "Keep on the right side of the double yellow line" or "Drive forward
down the road, instead of backwards." These are all things drivers know,
from a) being in cars their whole life, soaking in the driving culture
as they grow up, and b)taking drivers education classes.

I eluded to the fact that with so many illegal immigrants driving cars
in southern states, it's no wonder we are starting to see so many "dummy
signs" on the roads. Many of them spent little to no time in cars
growing up and most of them didn't take drivers' education classes when
they were young.

I have weekly road encounters with drivers doing things like the
following....
At a red traffic light, I'm in the turning lane with turn signal on. Car
across street is in the straight lane... light turns green for both of
us.... they sit there, yielding to me to make a left turn across their
lane, when they are driving straight. The fact that they have the right
of way would be blatantly obvious to anyone who has spent more than a a
few months in this country. It's not something you would ever have a
second thought about.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ever want to cover up your licence with some rude plate and race through
these things, over and over in the middle of the night? LOL

wrote in message
That's what the camera thingy is for.

On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
What's next, "Don't drive though intersection while light is red?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in
:

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um...
duh!?

What's next, "Don't drive though intersection while light is red?"

There's one intersection where most traffic turns one direction or the
other. Such a sign may be a reminder that traffic actually goes straight
once in a while.

That intersection doesn't have such a sign.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

* * wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but the *position* of each light doesn't change.- Hide quoted text -

"Yea but if you can't tell if the lamp is lit or not - what does
it matter! "

Not having any of the eye-sight issues being discussed here, I can't
say whether being color blind and/or losing the abilty to see red as
we age also means that a person can't tell if a lamp is lit or not.

Even if all three lights are (or appear to be) the same color I know
that *I* could tell if one was lit or not.

Does not being able to discern red from the other colors also mean you
can't detect different levels of brightness?

Of course, this may eventually be a moot point as more and more red
lights incorporate the strobe. Kind of hard to miss that!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 23:20:50 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Except the exception g is the green light in the middle rather than the
green arrow. They mean different things, so the "newbie" has to be 'splained
otherwise someone's going to get hurt.

There's no need for a sign stating an exception to the exception to
point back to the norm.

You may not think so...

When there is no exception (arrow) to the norm (green light), there's no
need to state the norm.

Like I said, we don't have signs all over the place stating the norms,
ie: "Keep on the right side of the double yellow line" or "Drive forward
down the road, instead of backwards." These are all things drivers know,
from a) being in cars their whole life, soaking in the driving culture
as they grow up, and b)taking drivers education classes.

We have signs that say "Keep to the Right" and "Wrong Way".

I eluded to the fact that with so many illegal immigrants driving cars
in southern states, it's no wonder we are starting to see so many "dummy
signs" on the roads. Many of them spent little to no time in cars
growing up and most of them didn't take drivers' education classes when
they were young.

....where they learn to put on makeup while talking on their cell phone?

I have weekly road encounters with drivers doing things like the
following....
At a red traffic light, I'm in the turning lane with turn signal on. Car
across street is in the straight lane... light turns green for both of
us.... they sit there, yielding to me to make a left turn across their
lane, when they are driving straight. The fact that they have the right
of way would be blatantly obvious to anyone who has spent more than a a
few months in this country. It's not something you would ever have a
second thought about.

They're just being nice! What a grump. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/10 8:13 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
I would rather it said nothing. Why state the obvious... that's my point.
The norm is that a left turn yields to oncoming traffic.
The exception is having a green arrow that tell you things are
different, now.

Except the exceptiong is the green light in the middle rather than the
green arrow. They mean different things, so the "newbie" has to be 'splained
otherwise someone's going to get hurt.

A green light in the middle, center, or right means the same thing that
any green light means. As for the arrow, that's what drivers' education
is for. And kids pick this stuff up, driving around with their parents.

I've seen lights like that (green + arrow) for at least 20 years, yet
have just started to see signs explaining it. That's kind of my point
about the reason I suspect these signs are showing up.

"Newbies" should be requited to learn this stuff before they are given
the privilege of driving the most dangerous weapon on earth.

There's no need for a sign stating an exception to the exception to
point back to the norm.

You may not think so...

I know so. Like I said, there are no signs telling drivers to drive on
the right.

When there is no exception (arrow) to the norm (green light), there's no
need to state the norm.

Like I said, we don't have signs all over the place stating the norms,
ie: "Keep on the right side of the double yellow line" or "Drive forward
down the road, instead of backwards." These are all things drivers know,
from a) being in cars their whole life, soaking in the driving culture
as they grow up, and b)taking drivers education classes.

We have signs that say "Keep to the Right" and "Wrong Way".

Wow, really? That's what you come up with. I've seen those signs, too.
They are always on the oncoming lanes of a 4 lane divided highway,
with a wide median in the middle. When it's dark and you've never been
on that particular road before, it would easy to take a left turn onto
what you think is the correct roadway.

That is done for drivers who might not see the lanes across the median,
NOT for people who don't know what side of the road to drive on. Again,
the exception (an intersection of a divided highway) to the norm
(undivided road with double yellow).

Surely, you can understand the difference.

I eluded to the fact that with so many illegal immigrants driving cars
in southern states, it's no wonder we are starting to see so many "dummy
signs" on the roads. Many of them spent little to no time in cars
growing up and most of them didn't take drivers' education classes when
they were young.

...where they learn to put on makeup while talking on their cell phone?

What does that have to do with anything?

I have weekly road encounters with drivers doing things like the
following....
At a red traffic light, I'm in the turning lane with turn signal on. Car
across street is in the straight lane... light turns green for both of
us.... they sit there, yielding to me to make a left turn across their
lane, when they are driving straight. The fact that they have the right
of way would be blatantly obvious to anyone who has spent more than a a
few months in this country. It's not something you would ever have a
second thought about.

They're just being nice! What a grump. ;-)

Man I *hope* you mean that smiley face. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Must be a 5 or 6 points!

Good one.

When people age, IIRC, the rods in the eye become ineffective. The color
spectrum on the red end gets attenuated greatly in some.

Ever walk into a home of your parents - tube TV with the color adjusted ?
The picture is reddish. To them it isn't. It is due to blood starvation
to the eyes.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/10/2010 1:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:42:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote the following:

wrote:

[...]

Unless you go to New Mexico where the damned things are sideways.

I would absolutely HATE to drive he http://fwd4.me/SdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2010 11:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Yes, but lately (here in Texas at least) it's rather common to see signs next
to a regular green light that say "Protected left on green". The first time I
saw that I said "What the hell does THAT mean?!". I'll tell you what it means:
"We've decided to program the lights at this intersection so that a regular
green light REALLY means you have a green arrow, but we're too damn cheap to
install a REAL green arrow". Since they've opened that stupid can of worms,
they probably figure they'd better cover their asses by explicitly saying "Left
turn yields on green" in case some litigious dumbass decides to assume
"Protected left on green" for an unadorned regular green light...

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/10 10:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Yes, but lately (here in Texas at least) it's rather common to see signs
next to a regular green light that say "Protected left on green". The
first time I saw that I said "What the hell does THAT mean?!". I'll tell
you what it means: "We've decided to program the lights at this
intersection so that a regular green light REALLY means you have a green
arrow, but we're too damn cheap to install a REAL green arrow". Since
they've opened that stupid can of worms, they probably figure they'd
better cover their asses by explicitly saying "Left turn yields on
green" in case some litigious dumbass decides to assume "Protected left
on green" for an unadorned regular green light...

I think you are spot on with that.
20+ years of using arrows and they decide they're too expensive or some
such nonsense.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)