Paul Franklin

Default Heating my shop. Two options both electric

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:10:34 -0700, "Jim"
wrote:

I have a 4800 watt 30 amp construction heater. Those little ones with a circular
element and a fan.
I allow have a residential 2200 watt electric base board heater on a wall
thermostat.
My shop is 14x18 and well insulated but we get plenty of below zero days.
I'm wondering if either of these two heaters is cheaper to operate than the
other.

I prefer the shop heater because it's up out of the way and the baseboard is
tough to keep clear because it is long and has tools in front like my bandsaw
and drill press.

Jim

Probably not enough difference between them to matter....

They are both essentially 100% efficient (even the energy it takes to
run the fan ends up as heat in the room). Sometimes your electric
rate schedule will penalize you for heavier use, but unless you have
really bad luck, the extra 2600 watts will not bump you into the next
bracket.

It will take the same number of BTUs to heat the place either way, the
4800 watt unit will just do it faster, especially since the fan will
help even out the temp in the room better.

Being able to move the one to the area you are working may allow you
to keep the overall temp lower, which would help a lot.

So take your pick...

HTH,

Paul