Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Wall and Electric

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 23:20:50 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

On 6/9/10 10:37 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:18:09 -0500, wrote:

On 6/9/10 3:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
With the new left turn lights, the left turn arrow, which used to only
be lit when it was green, now stays is constantly lit and turns from red
to green ... that was a bitch the first time ... and totally unnecessary
if you think about it.

I think you have a certain influx population to thank for that.

There are signs here that read, "left turn yields on green." Um... duh!?

That one makes some sense. A green arrow is an indication that your
right-of-way is clear. A green does not. Would you rather it said "left turn
yields on red"? ...also legal in some instances, BTW.

I would rather it said nothing. Why state the obvious... that's my point.
The norm is that a left turn yields to oncoming traffic.
The exception is having a green arrow that tell you things are
different, now.

Except the exception g is the green light in the middle rather than the
green arrow. They mean different things, so the "newbie" has to be 'splained
otherwise someone's going to get hurt.

There's no need for a sign stating an exception to the exception to
point back to the norm.

You may not think so...

When there is no exception (arrow) to the norm (green light), there's no
need to state the norm.

Like I said, we don't have signs all over the place stating the norms,
ie: "Keep on the right side of the double yellow line" or "Drive forward
down the road, instead of backwards." These are all things drivers know,
from a) being in cars their whole life, soaking in the driving culture
as they grow up, and b)taking drivers education classes.

We have signs that say "Keep to the Right" and "Wrong Way".

I eluded to the fact that with so many illegal immigrants driving cars
in southern states, it's no wonder we are starting to see so many "dummy
signs" on the roads. Many of them spent little to no time in cars
growing up and most of them didn't take drivers' education classes when
they were young.

....where they learn to put on makeup while talking on their cell phone?

I have weekly road encounters with drivers doing things like the
following....
At a red traffic light, I'm in the turning lane with turn signal on. Car
across street is in the straight lane... light turns green for both of
us.... they sit there, yielding to me to make a left turn across their
lane, when they are driving straight. The fact that they have the right
of way would be blatantly obvious to anyone who has spent more than a a
few months in this country. It's not something you would ever have a
second thought about.

They're just being nice! What a grump. ;-)