Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

Default Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood
working....what older American or European machines would you choose
to populate the shop with? In a home shop environment, the size of the
work envelope can vary greatly with the work done so a number of
different candidates exist for the same function performed.

With welders, I would consider that newer machines might be more
desirable.

I have listed what categories I would consider might be wanted in a
combination metal and wood work shop for the serious hobbist.

I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

And feel free to add any tool that I might have forgotten.

Thanks

TMT

= Metalworking
- vertical mill
- horizontal mill
- metal shaper
- slower drill press
- small metal lathe
- larger metal lathe
- horizontal metal bandsaw
- vertical metal bandsaw
- surface grinder
- bench grinder
- band/disc sander
- belt sander
- tool grinder
- air compressor
- arbor press
- hydraulic press
- heat treating furnace
- bender, brake, shear, slip roll

= Woodworking
- table saw
- cross miter saw
- radial arm saw
- scroll saw
- vertical wood bandsaw
- jointer
- planer
- wood shaper
- wood lathe
- faster drill press

= Welding
- ARC welder
- TIG welder
- MIG welder
- A/Ox welder

= Material Handling
- SMALL forklift (1000-2000lbs.)
- Pallet jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

All that for a home shop?

I'd have a nearly used up CNC knee mill, and a medium lathe. Throw in a
bench grinder, a vice, a vertical and horizontal bandsaw, a tig welder, and
a torch. With some decent tooling, that should build about anything the
average farmer would need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood
working....what older American or European machines would you choose
to populate the shop with? In a home shop environment, the size of the
work envelope can vary greatly with the work done so a number of
different candidates exist for the same function performed.

Never happen with my 1 bay garage. Woodworking
power tools consist of circ saw, small table
saw, router and sabre saw. And they get hauled
out on the driveway when I use them. I can't
imagine using both woodworking and metal tools
in the same room given the problems with sawdust
everywhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

In my experience, the "typical" hobbyist buys almost nothing brand
new. If YOU are NOT typical and plan on buying new stuff, the list you
have will cost you more than the house you're putting all that stuff
in.

So when buying used stuff, your choice of brands is limited to what
comes along. I've bought almost exclusively used equipment for my
shop.

It runs the gambit from ancient US made to reasonably new Chinese. In
each case, I looked past the rust to the underlying item and asked
myself, "Self: can you repair it with the tools you have already in
the shop?" If my answer was "No", I passed on the item.

It has taken me many years to collect the tools that I now have. If
you don't want to wait that long, you will likely compromise on your
choices and end up with more junk than you will likely want.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

--FWIW I suggest you consider what *not* to get and steer away from
the turkey brands; i.e. Rockwell good, Sears bad, etc. Also getcher self a
copy of a massive tome called "Machine Tool Reconditioning" which includes
survey forms that you copy and take with you when you go to look at used
machine tools: very handy that one...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Time flies like an arrow;
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : fruit flies like a banana...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

On Mar 2, 2:37 pm, wrote:
I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

In my experience, the "typical" hobbyist buys almost nothing brand
new.

Really? Maybe the above statement applies to metal working tools.
But for woodworking, just read the posts on this rec.woodworking
forum. Most are about which new power tool to buy. Or how to use or
set it up correctly. The Jet and Grizzly and Sunhill and York and
Bridgewood names have only been around for a few years. I doubt all
of those were bought used. Delta and Powermatic have mostly new
models out now. So they are all new tools even though the brands have
been around for a long time. All of the Chinese and Taiwanese tools
are of recent vintage so they were bought new, not used.

As for having one shop for both metal and woodworking, I agree with
the other person that they do not mix. I use two different grinders
for metal and woodworking tasks. Using the metal cutoff saw/grinder
or the angle grinder or anvil is always done outside or in a barn.
Not in the clean woodshop.

If YOU are NOT typical and plan on buying new stuff, the list you
have will cost you more than the house you're putting all that stuff
in.

So when buying used stuff, your choice of brands is limited to what
comes along. I've bought almost exclusively used equipment for my
shop.

It runs the gambit from ancient US made to reasonably new Chinese. In
each case, I looked past the rust to the underlying item and asked
myself, "Self: can you repair it with the tools you have already in
the shop?" If my answer was "No", I passed on the item.

It has taken me many years to collect the tools that I now have. If
you don't want to wait that long, you will likely compromise on your
choices and end up with more junk than you will likely want.

Gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

A) When we built a house we used the:
table saw
power miter saw
hand drill
Back hoe
bulldozer
Jointer
Bandsaw
Belt sander
wet wheel grinder
biscuit jointer
router
Shopspace

B) When I was gardening, ranching, and clearing land I used:
chain saw
DR [walk behind brush hog]
rototiller
walk behind lawn mower
riding lawn mower
motorcycle
jeep
bulldozer
Outbuilding space

C) Now that I am doing gunsmithing and electronics test fixtures I use:
vertical milling machine
lathe
standard bench grinder
end of wheel bench grinder
drill press
TIG welder
Oxyacetylene
Shopspace
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
[...]

- dust collection and air filtering systems

= Welding
- ARC welder
- TIG welder
- MIG welder
- A/Ox welder

- Plasma Cutter

= Material Handling
- SMALL forklift (1000-2000lbs.)
- Pallet jack

- Pickup truck with trailer hitch.

- Trailer to haul the stuff that doesn't fit in the pickup.

- Enough land to hold the large shop to put it all in.

- The large shop to put it all in.

- A wife that understands the addiction.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

In rec.woodworking Too_Many_Tools wrote:
: Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood
: working....what older American or European machines would you choose
: to populate the shop with? In a home shop environment, the size of the
: work envelope can vary greatly with the work done so a number of
: different candidates exist for the same function performed.

Sure, but you also need to consider the type of work planned.
In your WWing list, you have a scroll saw, a lathe, and a tablesaw.
IME, people who scroll saw don't usually have all that other stuff, for
example. So, scoller would have a scroll saw, and a variety of
supplemental tools that would go with that.

And why would you need both a "cross miter saw" (?) and a raidal-arm saw?
And what about a router or three? And hand tools?

-- Andy barss

: = Woodworking
: - table saw
: - cross miter saw
: - radial arm saw
: - scroll saw
: - vertical wood bandsaw
: - jointer
: - planer
: - wood shaper
: - wood lathe
: - faster drill press

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding
AHS AHS is offline

I have one recommendation about woodworking tools. If you look at old tools,
keep in mind that they may or probably predate dust collection. That means
those tools will generate a MESS whenever you use them. If you think you
can adapt them to collect dust, you may find yourself really challenged.

Alex

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

For the woodshop you need:

Edge sander
Wide belt or drum sander
Oscillating dildo sander
Dust collector
Router table (shaper is nice but overkill for most hobbiest ops)
Chisle mortiser
Compressor
Air nailers
Conversion spray gun or HVLP setup

Did you hit the Lotto and are going shopping this weekend

On Mar 2, 11:58 am, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

With welders, I would consider that newer machines might be more
desirable.

It all depends. For some standard welding, the oldest AC/DC welding
machines will burn rods as good as and sometimes better than the new
comparables.

However, with the new advances in MIG, TIG, and other specific types of
welding, yes, the new machines are way ahead of the old ones, which were the
first generation. Maybe second, or third.

One must analyze their needs with regards to welding, their quality
standards, and what machine will get them there.

No need to buy a $3,000 welder when a $200 Lincoln Tombstone will do the
job.

A new high line welder ......... $3,000
A new low line welder .............. $200
Knowing which one you need .......... priceless.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:13:46 GMT, "John E."
wrote:

Yikes, how many "home shops" include a forklift and a pallet jack?

too many tools indeed...;^)

John E.

Ah....er...ahum.....

Gunner

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"
- James Burnham

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

I could do without the oscillating sander. It sounds painful.

I think this is some sort of game. I do not have the time to be a wood
butcher, a metal butcher, a bicyclist and a golfer. I picked 1.5
things for my free time. It takes time to learn how to use tools and I
have no metal working mentors and little interest. I have a mig to fix
things. When I need to do more advance metal I go to a friends shop
and destroy things or pay him. No custom machining though. If a punch,
saw, mig or tig welder, or grinder can't fabricate, it it is broke.

Can't do without the tractor with a front end loader and a bushog. Got
to have round bale forks for the loader and the rear lift. Got to have
a trailer to haul hay. Have the fertilizer spreader to overseed and
fertilize. 50 gallon sprayer to spray for weeds inthe pasture every
two or three years. Need to replace the horse trailer. Need to figure
out why the truck will not tow at highway speeds. Need a shed to get
the tractor out of the weather.

Once again what I need to keep things up is personal. I might need to
win the lottery but that would mean I would need to start a foundation
to give the money away. Excess money just creates more problems. A
little more might help though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

OK, my biased selection:

= Metalworking
- vertical mill
- horizontal mill

An old Deckel

- metal shaper

A Gack

- slower drill press

Alzmetall or Flott

- small metal lathe

Weiler, Schaublin

- horizontal metal bandsaw
- vertical metal bandsaw

No band saws, cold saws!

- surface grinder

Not my Klaiber!

- bench grinder

What comes along and isn't too cheap.

- air compressor
- arbor press
- hydraulic press

What comes along

= Woodworking
- radial arm saw

DeWalt

= Welding
- ARC welder
- TIG welder
- MIG welder

EWM rulez!

Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

In article ,
steamer wrote:

--FWIW I suggest you consider what *not* to get and steer away from
the turkey brands; i.e. Rockwell good, Sears bad, etc. Also getcher self a
copy of a massive tome called "Machine Tool Reconditioning" which includes
survey forms that you copy and take with you when you go to look at used
machine tools: very handy that one...

It all depends... I don't own much Sears (any more). I think just the
1/2-inch industrial drill. But I built the house with Sears, of course a
good number of the tools didn't survive much longer after the house was
built. Then, as I could afford it, I replaced them with better tools.
But I couldn't have afforded good tools when building the house, and
built the house.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

In article . com,
" wrote:

As for having one shop for both metal and woodworking, I agree with
the other person that they do not mix. I use two different grinders
for metal and woodworking tasks. Using the metal cutoff saw/grinder
or the angle grinder or anvil is always done outside or in a barn.
Not in the clean woodshop.

The only metal working tool in my wood shop is the welder (power
issues). But then the chain-saws are in the barn, along with the forge,
anvil, grinders etc (the forge and anvil were my great-grandfathers and
over 100 years old)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

A forklift would be nice, but where would you store it? I'm looking at "truck lifts"
instead, which might also eliminate the need for a pallet jack.

If you want really small lathes/mills, I like Sherline. For medium size, Wabeco is
really nice. I have no experience with larger ones. For vertical bandsaws and drill
presses I like Delta so far. My horizontal bandsaws are cheap ones but work fine.
I like DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch for miscellaneous saws and other tools.

Due to limited space, for surface grinding and horizontal milling I'm looking at the
Sieg U2. Can't see making room for a shaper.

I'll have to give up another garage bay (already use one plus small shop) if I add
worddworking and welding.

Alan

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

A forklift would be nice, but where would you store it? I'm looking at "truck lifts"
instead, which might also eliminate the need for a pallet jack.

Truck lift?

Could you expand on this?

Thanks

TMT

On Mar 3, 11:06 am, "Alan Wright" wrote:
A forklift would be nice, but where would you store it? I'm looking at "truck lifts"
instead, which might also eliminate the need for a pallet jack.

If you want really small lathes/mills, I like Sherline. For medium size, Wabeco is
really nice. I have no experience with larger ones. For vertical bandsaws and drill
presses I like Delta so far. My horizontal bandsaws are cheap ones but work fine.
I like DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch for miscellaneous saws and other tools.

Due to limited space, for surface grinding and horizontal milling I'm looking at the
Sieg U2. Can't see making room for a shaper.

I'll have to give up another garage bay (already use one plus small shop) if I add
worddworking and welding.

Alan

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in glegroups.com...
[...]

- Pallet jack- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:57:09 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
Then I'm not typical because the overwhelming majority of my buys have
been brand new. Then again, just about every serious woodworker I
know also bought primarily new. The cost of a pretty decent shop is
going to be in the neighborhood of $10K, if you can find a house for
that much, buy it.

Does that include the forklift?

I have yet to ever find myself needing a forklift of any size and only
once or twice thought a pallet jack might be sort of useful. Where
are you going to park the forklift when you're not using it anyhow?
Isn't that just wasted space that you could have more tools or
storage?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:40:10 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

The only metal working tool in my wood shop is the welder (power
issues). But then the chain-saws are in the barn, along with the forge,
anvil, grinders etc (the forge and anvil were my great-grandfathers and
over 100 years old)

I actually have a couple that get used infrequently, mostly because I
might want to make some custom fitting for a wood project. Otherwise,
metal working tools just don't get much use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

Brian Henderson wrote:
Then I'm not typical because the overwhelming majority of my buys
have been brand new. Then again, just about every serious
woodworker I know also bought primarily new. The cost of a pretty
decent shop is going to be in the neighborhood of $10K, if you can
find a house for that much, buy it.

Does that include the forklift?

I have yet to ever find myself needing a forklift of any size and only
once or twice thought a pallet jack might be sort of useful. Where
are you going to park the forklift when you're not using it anyhow?
Isn't that just wasted space that you could have more tools or
storage?

That's what I was wondering. :^)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

The only metal working tool in my wood shop is the welder (power
issues).

I have _three_ metalworking tools:

Hammer

Pop rivet tool

Snips

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

A "truck lift" or "lift truck" is apparently designed to lift things from the
floor up to the loading height of a truck. They also call them "stackers",
in another context.

Here is one example: http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6294

McMaster-Carr has a bunch of models under "lift truck".

Alan

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

Okay....now I understand.

VERY USEFUL machines,

Every shop should have at least one.

Here is a site that discusses a number of variations.

http://www.stackers.co.uk/

The downside is most cannot cross gravel or grass....so the search for
a smaller pneumatic forklift.

TMT

On Mar 3, 7:34 pm, "Alan Wright" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

The only metal working tool in my wood shop is the welder (power
issues).

I have _three_ metalworking tools:

Hammer

Pop rivet tool

Snips

Geeze, Ive got 4x that in the top tray of ONE of my truck tool boxes

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

Just a little note of caution.

Fire and wood shouldn't go together
unless it's in a fireplace, barbecue
or smoker. In an enclosed space,
especially a basement . . .

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:00:00 GMT, Brian Henderson
wrote:

Does that include the forklift?

I have yet to ever find myself needing a forklift of any size and only
once or twice thought a pallet jack might be sort of useful. Where
are you going to park the forklift when you're not using it anyhow?
Isn't that just wasted space that you could have more tools or
storage?

A forklift makes a nice welding platform as well as making it easy to
move assemblies around.

Tell the Missus you need a self propelled welding platform. Its much
easier on your back when you can raise or lower the weldments to the
proper heights G

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

On 3 Mar 2007 18:19:24 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Okay....now I understand.

VERY USEFUL machines,

Every shop should have at least one.

Here is a site that discusses a number of variations.

http://www.stackers.co.uk/

The downside is most cannot cross gravel or grass....so the search for
a smaller pneumatic forklift.

Also be aware that forklifts have a hard time in gravel. I found that out
when picking up my shipment of cherry from the UPS terminal. Their
forklift got stuck in the gravel in the truck yard while attempting to load
onto my pickup. The gravel was dry, the forklift was standard warehouse
LP-powered with smooth rubber.

.... snip

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

Truck lift ??
here's a truck lift, made for wood turners.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/a....pl?read=37384

On Mar 3, 12:18 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

I have _three_ metalworking tools:

Hammer

Pop rivet tool

Snips

Geeze, Ive got 4x that in the top tray of ONE of my truck tool boxes

I'm posting from the rec.woodworking perspective. My usual
metalworking consists of rearranging dust collection duct and the rare
decorative stamped tin panel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

The downside is most cannot cross gravel or grass....

Or get into a basement shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

I have _three_ metalworking tools:

Hammer

Pop rivet tool

Snips

Geeze, Ive got 4x that in the top tray of ONE of my truck tool boxes

I'm posting from the rec.woodworking perspective. My usual
metalworking consists of rearranging dust collection duct and the rare
decorative stamped tin panel.

Ah!

Im a machine tool (metal AND wood working) service tech...so I have to
be a bit better equipped I guess G

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:

The downside is most cannot cross gravel or grass....

Or get into a basement shop.

Oh they can go into a basement shop ..getting them out..now there is a
serious issue...G

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding

wrote:
Brian Henderson wrote:
Then I'm not typical because the overwhelming majority of my buys have
been brand new. Then again, just about every serious woodworker I
know also bought primarily new. The cost of a pretty decent shop is
going to be in the neighborhood of $10K, if you can find a house for
that much, buy it.

Does that include the forklift?

I have yet to ever find myself needing a forklift of any size and only
once or twice thought a pallet jack might be sort of useful. Where
are you going to park the forklift when you're not using it anyhow?
Isn't that just wasted space that you could have more tools or
storage?

Access to a forklift and pallet jack would be very nice. All of the
shipping of large woodworking tools come to the freight terminal in
your city unless you ask for curbside delivery with a liftgate truck.
And that costs a hundred or so more dollars. With a forklift and
pallet jack you would not have to pay this extra shipping fee.