Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding
Jim Behning Jim Behning is offline

Default Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

I could do without the oscillating sander. It sounds painful.

I think this is some sort of game. I do not have the time to be a wood
butcher, a metal butcher, a bicyclist and a golfer. I picked 1.5
things for my free time. It takes time to learn how to use tools and I
have no metal working mentors and little interest. I have a mig to fix
things. When I need to do more advance metal I go to a friends shop
and destroy things or pay him. No custom machining though. If a punch,
saw, mig or tig welder, or grinder can't fabricate, it it is broke.

Can't do without the tractor with a front end loader and a bushog. Got
to have round bale forks for the loader and the rear lift. Got to have
a trailer to haul hay. Have the fertilizer spreader to overseed and
fertilize. 50 gallon sprayer to spray for weeds inthe pasture every
two or three years. Need to replace the horse trailer. Need to figure
out why the truck will not tow at highway speeds. Need a shed to get
the tractor out of the weather.

Once again what I need to keep things up is personal. I might need to
win the lottery but that would mean I would need to start a foundation
to give the money away. Excess money just creates more problems. A
little more might help though.

On 2 Mar 2007 15:24:17 -0800, "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

For the woodshop you need:

Edge sander
Wide belt or drum sander
Oscillating dildo sander
Dust collector
Router table (shaper is nice but overkill for most hobbiest ops)
Chisle mortiser
Compressor
Air nailers
Conversion spray gun or HVLP setup

Did you hit the Lotto and are going shopping this weekend

On Mar 2, 11:58 am, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood
working....what older American or European machines would you choose
to populate the shop with? In a home shop environment, the size of the
work envelope can vary greatly with the work done so a number of
different candidates exist for the same function performed.

With welders, I would consider that newer machines might be more
desirable.

I have listed what categories I would consider might be wanted in a
combination metal and wood work shop for the serious hobbist.

I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

And feel free to add any tool that I might have forgotten.

Thanks

TMT

= Metalworking
- vertical mill