Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding
Alan Wright Alan Wright is offline

Default Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

A forklift would be nice, but where would you store it? I'm looking at "truck lifts"
instead, which might also eliminate the need for a pallet jack.

If you want really small lathes/mills, I like Sherline. For medium size, Wabeco is
really nice. I have no experience with larger ones. For vertical bandsaws and drill
presses I like Delta so far. My horizontal bandsaws are cheap ones but work fine.
I like DeWalt, Makita, and Bosch for miscellaneous saws and other tools.

Due to limited space, for surface grinding and horizontal milling I'm looking at the
Sieg U2. Can't see making room for a shaper.

I'll have to give up another garage bay (already use one plus small shop) if I add
worddworking and welding.

Alan

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message ps.com...
Say you want to setup a home shop for both metal and wood
working....what older American or European machines would you choose
to populate the shop with? In a home shop environment, the size of the
work envelope can vary greatly with the work done so a number of
different candidates exist for the same function performed.

With welders, I would consider that newer machines might be more
desirable.

I have listed what categories I would consider might be wanted in a
combination metal and wood work shop for the serious hobbist.

I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

And feel free to add any tool that I might have forgotten.

Thanks

TMT

= Metalworking
- vertical mill