Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

On Mar 2, 2:37 pm, wrote:
I look forward to hearing of your choices and the reasons why.

In my experience, the "typical" hobbyist buys almost nothing brand
new.

Really? Maybe the above statement applies to metal working tools.
But for woodworking, just read the posts on this rec.woodworking
forum. Most are about which new power tool to buy. Or how to use or
set it up correctly. The Jet and Grizzly and Sunhill and York and
Bridgewood names have only been around for a few years. I doubt all
of those were bought used. Delta and Powermatic have mostly new
models out now. So they are all new tools even though the brands have
been around for a long time. All of the Chinese and Taiwanese tools
are of recent vintage so they were bought new, not used.

As for having one shop for both metal and woodworking, I agree with
the other person that they do not mix. I use two different grinders
for metal and woodworking tasks. Using the metal cutoff saw/grinder
or the angle grinder or anvil is always done outside or in a barn.
Not in the clean woodshop.

If YOU are NOT typical and plan on buying new stuff, the list you
have will cost you more than the house you're putting all that stuff
in.

So when buying used stuff, your choice of brands is limited to what
comes along. I've bought almost exclusively used equipment for my
shop.

It runs the gambit from ancient US made to reasonably new Chinese. In
each case, I looked past the rust to the underlying item and asked
myself, "Self: can you repair it with the tools you have already in
the shop?" If my answer was "No", I passed on the item.

It has taken me many years to collect the tools that I now have. If
you don't want to wait that long, you will likely compromise on your
choices and end up with more junk than you will likely want.

Gary