Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

Default Washing machines that are built like commercial machines?

It seems that my current maytag washer broke the clutch, that's very
hard to get to. The motor and the tub pulley spin, but the tub does
not engage. There were also some bad noises coming from there, as
though a piece of metal was caught between some gears. These noises
stopped, eventually, with no improvement.

It is not the first time when this washer breaks and I have just about
had it.

I would like to buy a new washer that is built honestly, like Miller
welders or Cummins engines, and not like cost engineered crap that
does not last and is impossible to fix.

Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial
laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer
version of that? Where plastic and potmetal is not used for major
parts, and things are built to last "like they used to".

I do not mind paying top dollar for such a thing if it exists.

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
reader

"Ignoramus22440" wrote in message
[...]

I always start with Consumer Reports at your local library. Look inside the
back cover for the subject index, then locate and read the latest washing
machine review. They'll tell you what's junk and what's worth buying. Jot
down the top three models and go shopping for price.

You'll be glad you did.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Abe

Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial
laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer
version of that? Where plastic and potmetal is not used for major
parts, and things are built to last "like they used to".
I do not mind paying top dollar for such a thing if it exists.

The three major players in commercial washing machines are Tricity
Bendix, Wascomat, and Speed Queen. Find their sites and look and look
at the modelas available.

My father had Bendix and Wascomat machines in his laundromats. It was
rare for them to break.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Ignoramus22440 wrote:

I would like to buy a new washer that is built honestly, like Miller
welders or Cummins engines, and not like cost engineered crap that
does not last and is impossible to fix.

Had a "KLEENMAID" here for 15 years now - made in the USA, has never
missed a beat.
Like you, gave up on the crappy domestic stuff - paid approx twice as
much for the Kleenmaid over a local (Australian) one - never regretted
it.

Also have the Klenmaid dishwasher (its a rebranded "Brandt") - thats
been good too.

Lifes too short to be fixing domestic appliances.........

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Bean

Ignoramus22440 writes:

I would like to buy a new washer that is built honestly, like Miller
welders or Cummins engines, and not like cost engineered crap that does
not last and is impossible to fix.

Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial
laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer version
of that?

Many apartment buildings have Maytag commercial washers and dryers that
are the same size as the "consumer" ones-- they're the same ones I've
seen in laundromats, so I'm not sure why you think they wouldn't fit.

My landlord fixes them himself, and he says the insides are modular and
easy to work on. I don't know where he buys them, but there must be
companies that sell them to laundromats etc. Try the yellow pages.
Or get friendly with your local laundromat owner and ask him where he
buys stuff.

The ones in my building do malfunction occasionally but they're pretty old
and beat up. The newer ones at the laundromat seem to work well.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H

How long do you want it to last? My Kenmore (Whirlpool) is used a lot and
still going fine after several years. I'm not ready for it to die yet but
eventually it would be nice to replace it with a newer fancier model so if
it goes it goes.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
elf

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
snip
I would like to buy a new washer that is built honestly, like Miller
welders or Cummins engines, and not like cost engineered crap that
does not last and is impossible to fix.

Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial
laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer
version of that? Where plastic and potmetal is not used for major
parts, and things are built to last "like they used to".

I do not mind paying top dollar for such a thing if it exists.

Any ideas?

Many ideas, I work in field services for a great company who is a dist.
for commerical laundry equipment. Depends on the loading capacity of
the machine and what you want to spend. The major players today are the
brands such as Unimac, Maytag, Speedqueen, Hubshe, Milinor,
Continental, Wascomat along with a couple more I can't think of right
off hand. The traditional front load type machine often seen by the
general public are those forementioned, normally seen at laundry-mats.

Normally equipped for 3 phase electrical service but can be bought for
single phase home service in 120/220 volts at a higher price. Typical
mounting requirements are concrete floor with minium of about 4 inches.
No wood floors allowed or recommended due to extraction forces placed
on most models even at low extract speeds. Although Unimac carries a
softmount model that does not need to be bolted down as many of the
considered ridgit type machines will need to be.

Cap.sizes from 18 pound to if you want 250 pound and more. Normal size
for most laundry mat machines are 18 to 50 pound capacity. Cost appro.
$3500.00 (For 18 pound) up to $10,000 (50 to 60 pound capacity deluxe
model) Many prices and options. Not normally considered for home use
though due price and inability to have service preformed by local
appliance repair guys.

The top load models seen in laundry-mats are simply a home washer with
a coinbox and slide mounted to the machine, Generally the control
system these types of machines whether it be microprocessor or manual
timer type will be a more simple affair as most folks uses only a
gentle or normal wash cycle. The machines have the same problems as any
home machine as they are the same, except as decribed above. Cost
$600.00 to $1000.00.

If you are really interested in a commerical type, I would suggest
looking contacting a few commerical laundry equipment dist. and asking
if they have any used or rebuilt machines in the 18 to 25 pound class
that are setup for single phase service. Cost still around $1000.00 and
up for the most part, plus professional installation if needed
(Recommended).

I've been working with commerical laundry type of equipment for many
years and still I personally have an old 70's model belt driven
Whirlpool home washer that needs a kick in the butt every so often but
works very nicely. If I had to replace it today with another I would
look at the Whirlpool, Speedqueen and Maytag model topload washer in
that order.
Good luck!

Rusty Bates

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Meehan

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
[...]

Get a larger laundry room or look for some of the smaller commercial
machines. Be ready to spend some large dollars either way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Clif Holland

I don't know what you want. My old Sears is 23 years old and does 2-3 loads
a day average. (Teenager in house). I figure it's cost me $20 bucks a year.

--

Clif

"Abe" wrote in message
Such washers are, apparently, made, at least for commercial
laundromats. (which would not fit our room) Is there a consumer
version of that? Where plastic and potmetal is not used for major
parts, and things are built to last "like they used to".
I do not mind paying top dollar for such a thing if it exists.

The three major players in commercial washing machines are Tricity
Bendix, Wascomat, and Speed Queen. Find their sites and look and look
at the modelas available.

My father had Bendix and Wascomat machines in his laundromats. It was
rare for them to break.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Just get a commercial model, we had a set last 35 years, many brands
have a commercial line of the same size. But when you see the price you
will be suprised.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

On Sat, 06 May 2006 05:33:48 GMT, reader wrote:

[...]

Good idea, will do.

I looked at washing machines on the Web, it looks like the price
depends on amount of "features" and LCD screen and software. No
washing machine that I saw advertises "better built parts" or some
such.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Bean

"elf" writes:

The major players today are the
brands such as Unimac, Maytag, Speedqueen, Hubshe, Milinor,
Continental, Wascomat along with a couple more I can't think of right
off hand.

How many of those are actually separate manufacturers, and how many are
just "badge engineered" versions of the same thing?

The top load models seen in laundry-mats are simply a home washer with
a coinbox and slide mounted to the machine, Generally the control
system these types of machines whether it be microprocessor or manual
timer type will be a more simple affair as most folks uses only a
gentle or normal wash cycle. The machines have the same problems as any
home machine as they are the same, except as decribed above.

Interesting-- they seem to last a long time, under heavy use (maybe I go
to the wrong laundromats, but I've only ever seen the top loading ones,
until very recently).

One thing people are forgetting is that if you have a 30 year old
washer that still works fine, that doesn't mean they're still making
that level of quality 30 years later.

If I had to replace it today with another I would
look at the Whirlpool, Speedqueen and Maytag model topload washer in
that order.

Whirlpool recently bought Maytag.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
[...]

Beware of the Maytag Neptune line. They have had many problems, even a
class action lawsuit against the manufacturer.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Edwin Pawlowski

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
Beware of the Maytag Neptune line. They have had many problems, even a
class action lawsuit against the manufacturer.

Supposedly, the problems have been fixed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Ignoramus22440" wrote in message
It seems that my current maytag washer broke the clutch, that's very
hard to get to. The motor and the tub pulley spin, but the tub does
not engage. There were also some bad noises coming from there, as
though a piece of metal was caught between some gears. These noises
stopped, eventually, with no improvement.

It is not the first time when this washer breaks and I have just about
had it.

You can save water and energy by going with a front-load consumer model. I
don't know how reliable they are. As far as consumer vs. commercial, do the
math, the annual cost of ownership on a regular washing machine is pretty
low.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On Sat, 6 May 2006 11:48:47 -0400, "ATP*"
wrote:

"Ignoramus22440" wrote in message
.. .
It seems that my current maytag washer broke the clutch, that's very
hard to get to. The motor and the tub pulley spin, but the tub does
not engage. There were also some bad noises coming from there, as
though a piece of metal was caught between some gears. These noises
stopped, eventually, with no improvement.

It is not the first time when this washer breaks and I have just about
had it.

You can save water and energy by going with a front-load consumer model. I
don't know how reliable they are. As far as consumer vs. commercial, do the
math, the annual cost of ownership on a regular washing machine is pretty
low.

front loaders are crap.
buy a bog standard top loader from a reputable name and you should
have little problem.
I overloaded ours and stripped the agitator. $60 bought a replacement
one which has given no problems since.
Stealth Pilot
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

On Sat, 06 May 2006 04:29:25 GMT, Ignoramus22440
wrote:

[...]

FWIW- we have a two year old GE with mechanical controls (no
electrocrap) and one of my kids wayyyy overloaded it to the point
water was sloshing out over the tub. I took the front service panel
off (30 second job) to see if anything important got drenched and was
surprised to see that the machine was engineered with just this
scenario in mind. Another surprise was that the pump is not driven by
the main motor, but is a self-contained unit with it's own small
motor- probably less $$ to operate. The machine looks to be easy to
work on- all the service items are easy to reach or replace without
tearing the thing to pieces (which might explain why GE sold it with a
generous in-home warranty).
Don't sell the consumer grade stuff short- there are some good
products out there.

-Carl
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
syoung

Ignoramus21474 wrote:
To all people who say "I have a 20 year old XXX brand washer, and it
still works fine": I think that things have changed since when you
bought your favorite washer, and manufacturers learned to make cheap,
bad products that would just last beyond the warranty period.

I have no doubt that these companies used to make good products. Then
what often happens is that some asshole CEO comes on board, cheapens
everything, enjoys a few years of great "profits" and bonuses, and
then moves on to another company.

This is what all business colleges and Wall Street are teaching the
managers of today - plan for yourself, today. Let the rest of all the
suckers care about their kids lives in the future. Managers are being
told to manage for today only.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

wrote:

[...]

That's nice to know (about GE). Thanks Carl. That said, we have a GE
refrigerator that is not so well made.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
[...]

Many years ago Vance Packard in his book 'The Wastemakers', which was
about planned obsolescence, recommended Maytag as the only washing
machine that was properly made.

Leon

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Ignoramus22440 wrote:

[...]

I used Miehle brand washers in europe. Front load design uses less water
and puts less wear and tear on your clothes. I think it's german made.
Available here but pricy.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

On Sat, 06 May 2006 13:40:53 -0400, syoung wrote:
Ignoramus21474 wrote:
To all people who say "I have a 20 year old XXX brand washer, and it
still works fine": I think that things have changed since when you
bought your favorite washer, and manufacturers learned to make cheap,
bad products that would just last beyond the warranty period.

I have no doubt that these companies used to make good products. Then
what often happens is that some asshole CEO comes on board, cheapens
everything, enjoys a few years of great "profits" and bonuses, and
then moves on to another company.

This is what all business colleges and Wall Street are teaching the
managers of today - plan for yourself, today. Let the rest of all the
suckers care about their kids lives in the future. Managers are being
told to manage for today only.

Partly, I think that the other responsible parties are mutual funds,
and other institutions, that hold stock and only care about short term
profits, and consumers, who do not make an effort to learn what is and
what is not a good product.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
syoung

Ignoramus21474 wrote:
[...]

This is WHO is doing the telling when I say managers are being told to
manage for today. This unabashed greed is what is bringing down the USA.
I read recently where company officials in an eastern US state are
trying to put steps in place so stockholders/shareholders of said
company will have radically reduced control of the hiring/firing of
upper level officials - extremely dangerous in my view. Rape & pillage a
company, make ridiculous monies, ruin an organization, retire in wealth
with no accountability. As a blue collar worker that's all I hear about
from my managers - employees must have MORE accountability - yet THEY
want to escape it at their level. Total & absolute hypocrisy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:51:38 GMT, "Gary H"
wrote:

How long do you want it to last? My Kenmore (Whirlpool) is used a lot and
still going fine after several years. I'm not ready for it to die yet but
eventually it would be nice to replace it with a newer fancier model so if
it goes it goes.

======================
/rant mode on

Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could
run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and
peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the
manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine
on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste
makers" by Packard" see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

/ran mode off

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
elf

Roy,

The brands mentioned are for the most part commerical laundry
equipment. All except the SpeedQueen-Hubshe are pretty much different
machines. Except for a typical square cabinet model that is produced
and rebadged between SpeedQueen, Hubshe and Unimac. Other than this
model most models produced by these mentioned before are all different
under the hood.

The topload models in the laundry-mats only appear to last longer. But
note there are some brand on the market for the home that would never
make it more than a year or so in a laundry. GE, Whirlpool, Speedqueen
and Maytag are the only topload machines I know of that appear in a
laundry-mat, in my humble opinion, the Maytag and Speedqueen are the
best of the bunch and tend to last about 5 to 9 years before being worn
out. That figure seems to be getting closer to 5 years anymore though.

You might notice that I mentioned my home washer was a 35 year washer,
yep, the difference is great in todays models and those of yesteryear,
hence the reason I just keep on repairing the old gal until I can't no
longer.

Another thing, I might offer to someone thinking about buying a
commerical type of washer. Keep in mind, it will need to be serviced
one day. Make darn sure there will be someone around to do it. You will
find most appliance repair guys won't even bother to look at a
commerical unit for one reason or another.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

On Sat, 06 May 2006 17:04:35 -0500, F George McDuffee wrote:
Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could
run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and
peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the
manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine
on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the
old computer is the floppy drive.

By the way, linux is much better about supporting legacy hardware.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste
makers" by Packard" see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

Thank you, I just bought it, for 22 cents... Sounds like it will be an
interesting read.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H

I don't get it. People say things don't last like they used to but how many
of you are using 1950's, 60's, or 70's washing machines or cars? Why would
you want to drive a 1970's gas guzzler with a POS carb that you have to
rebuild every so often. Man, I never want to go back to that old
technology. Well, I do have a 69 VW where it is fun to tinker with but I
sure don't want a daily driver like that. I also like not having keep
adjusting my clothes in the washing machine when they get off balance like
the old machines I have used. The new one I have automatically compensates
for all of that. Also, if manufacturers make things that last forever,
eventually there will be so many and no more will need to be made. Then
what happens? They go out of business and you can't even find parts to
repair your "last for ever" washing machine.

Welcome to the land of reality where things wear out or become obsolete and
need to be replaced. And, if you want to go and use that TRS-80 or IBM PC
Jr be my guest. I am sure you can find some software out there for it if
you look hard enough. But don't expect to be doing any of the cool stuff
that the new ones do.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H

"Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the
old computer is the floppy drive. "

Seriously? I have had to buy new cases and power supplies to keep up with
the new motherboard and CPU specs.

.. .
wrote:
Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could
run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and
peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the
manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine
on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the
old computer is the floppy drive.

By the way, linux is much better about supporting legacy hardware.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste
makers" by Packard" see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

Thank you, I just bought it, for 22 cents... Sounds like it will be an
interesting read.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

On Sun, 07 May 2006 00:02:43 GMT, Gary H wrote:
"Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the
old computer is the floppy drive. "

Seriously? I have had to buy new cases and power supplies to keep up with
the new motherboard and CPU specs.

Sure, I am on my third power supply, second case, and will hopefully
upgrade again this weekend. New MB, power supply, CPU, video card and
memory. Everything else will stay.

wrote:
Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could
run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and
peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the
manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine
on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the
old computer is the floppy drive.

By the way, linux is much better about supporting legacy hardware.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste
makers" by Packard" see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

Thank you, I just bought it, for 22 cents... Sounds like it will be an
interesting read.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21474

On Sun, 07 May 2006 00:01:21 GMT, Gary H wrote:
[...]

There seems to be enough people who like their 20 year old washing
machines.

As for cars, I think that they were using planned obsolescence in
those times that you are mentioning.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

That was one of my grandfather's favorite jokes = "This is my favorite ax,
I've had it for 20 years. Only three new heads and six new handles..."

wrote:
Why should I have to keep buying the same things over and over?

Washing Machines, Cars, Computers, etc.

Just upgraded the operating system on my main computer so I could
run a 250 gig USB drive and now half of my software and
peripherials such as the scanner won't work -- contact the
manufacturer and get the old so sorry no support for old machine
on new O/S but we give discount on new scanner.

Last time I bought a computer was in 1995.

Since then, I simply kept upgrading it. The only thing left from the
old computer is the floppy drive.

By the way, linux is much better about supporting legacy hardware.

Americans are being played for suckers. Reread "the Waste
makers" by Packard" see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155

Thank you, I just bought it, for 22 cents... Sounds like it will be an
interesting read.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default Washing machines that are built like commercial machines? Goodones

Whirlpool - stainless side wise ones. On risers - drawers under them!
These are nice. They are computer controlled and are made for a large
or small family. Uses what it needs.

Check them out. Lowes and in town dealers have them. If not - order a set.
But first check out the information...!!

Nice.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus22440 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

I have a friend who does resets for one of the 2 main cola companies. They
told him to lie to the customers (grocery stores, etc.)
Karl

Ignoramus21474 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

What about those Australian machines someone on the group was talking about
around a year ago.
Karl

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

Karl Vorwerk wrote:
What about those Australian machines someone on the group was talking about
around a year ago.

New Zealand based Fisher and Paykel makes a highly efficient top loading
washer. It is a simple design with a direct drive DC motor. They also
came out with a top loading dryer, with an unnecessarily complex design
(IMHO) compared with the washer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Just a couple of comments: Consumers Reports is often wrong. I
wouldn't trust them on everything. Don't trust a control panel that
says "commercial quality" or "heavy duty." This means nothing. Some
laundry equipment that appears in laundromats is actually domestic
equipment that has been adapted for commercial use, thus they will have
no better durability. If you were to acquire a true commercial washer,
you should check on availability of service in your community; lack of
service may quash the idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
syoung

Bob wrote:
Karl Vorwerk wrote:
What about those Australian machines someone on the group was talking
about
around a year ago.

New Zealand based Fisher and Paykel makes a highly efficient top loading
washer. It is a simple design with a direct drive DC motor. They also
came out with a top loading dryer, with an unnecessarily complex design
(IMHO) compared with the washer.

My sister just bought this pair last week from Lowes. I'm waiting to
hear of its + & -.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

You might want to look at the Stabler, if you can find them (this is all I
can find:
http://www.ece.umr.edu/power/Energy_...esentation.ppt).
It is made by an industrial washing machine manufacturer and is built like a
tank. Very clever design features make it one of the most energy efficient.
My brother designed it and holds patents on some of the features. He's no
longer affiliated with them, but the machine is very good. Very pricey,
though. I believe they are still made.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
GaryRW

It's Staber, not Stabler. http://www.staber.com/

I've owned one for about 10 yrs. Unique patented design. Cleans
wonderfully, gentle on clothes, must use low-sudsing detergent (like
Tide HE), all stainless, only top-loading horizontal axis made. Has all
advantages of other horizontal-axis washers plus better agitation. Had
some problems which were corrected promptly. Essentially available
only from factory. Simple belt drive. Only issue remaining on my
older model is unbalance on spin dry for partial loads. Things like
1-2 towels which are hard to self-balance. A must look for those that
appreciate quality built American designs with demonstrable advantages.
..

Built in washing machine antgel UK diy 4 March 15th 05 11:57 AM
cheap washing machines any good? Andrew UK diy 16 November 19th 04 02:30 AM
Washing machine drain backs up! Horatio Hornblower Home Repair 20 February 24th 04 01:56 AM
Factory built home vs. traditional site built home Todd Home Ownership 10 January 9th 04 02:23 PM
Home built woodworking machines Larry Laminger Woodworking 6 December 16th 03 02:27 AM