Andy Hall

On 2 Mar 2005 15:33:57 -0800, wrote:

Andy,

You say that you're happy to have a discussion on any ventured opinion
but when I say something you don't like, it becomes a case of me having
"strange ideas" or being divorced from reality.

But you're not entering into a discussion on the subject matter -
you're just getting into a whole lot of irrelevant personal criticism.

Most people on this list would agree that the DeWalt was expensive - in
realtion to a spread of prices for "common" biscuit jointers. But you
have to compare it to an esoteric Lamello.

There's nothing esoteric about a Lamello biscuit jointer. The
company invented them, for goodness sake. You can hardly be more down
to earth that....

You say that I'm missing the point and assuming DIY is a limited range
of activities. Well, I think I'm using DIY in the sense that most
people would understand it.

That's up to you. I don't see any basis for that assumption at all.

If you're making fine furniture to a high
standard, isn't that what most people would call cabinet making and not
DIY?

I make things from wood and other materials. Some of those things are
cabinets and there are plenty of others. Sometimes the items are
installed and fitted in the house as part of another project.

It's entirely reasonable as far as I am concerned to describe the
whole thing as DIY. I don't restrict myself as you seem to want to
do.

You say that if I don't view the area broadly, I shouldn't denigrate
others who do. But denigrating others is what you do when you say that
Ferm is kak, DeWalt is kak, only Lamello is good enough.

I haven't said or even implied that for one moment. I described the
design problems with a particular DeWalt product. This does not mean
that I think that all DeWalt products are crap. I've looked at a
few Ferm products, but have difficulty finding anything that I would
want to buy. That doesn't mean that somebody else might not find
something made by Ferm suitable for them.

I said that I looked at a Lamello biscuit jointer and I liked it.
It's an excellent tool and I use it a lot. I enjoy using it. It may
well be, that there is no better biscuit jointer on the market. None
of this causes me a problem - I feel happy with the situation. Now
that I've used it for a while, I'm afraid I would be disappointed with
most other biscuit jointers. It's also highly unlikely that I will
ever need to buy another biscuit jointer in my life. I'm happy with
that situation as well. I have a number of tools of different types
that are of similarly high standard. They are a pleasure to use and
give me enjoyment. I don't need to apologise for that.

Nobody said that you had to buy one, or that there aren't others that
you might find acceptable. You are free to make your choices and I
mine.

You say that I think the sole objective of DIY is too save money.
Then wouldn't I recommend everyone buy Challenge from argos and have
done with it?

I have no idea. You have already excluded large areas of activity
that I would consider to be legitimate DIY. Some people never want
to tackle plumbing. Others don't want to do electrical work.
Personally, I don't like working up ladders or doing plastering and
therefore will employ a professional

However, this doesn't mean to say that I think that roofing and
plastering aren't DIY activities.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Kaiser

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

See, you have got a sense of humour after all.

Mr Chesse, I am the funniest person in the world.

Why do you keep changing my name, one minute its Mr Cheese, then Mt Cheese
and now Mr Chesse?

Kaiser

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

Mr Cheese, you are barking.

I thought it would be easier for you to understand

Kaiser

wrote in message
ups.com...
Andy,

it becomes a case of me having
"strange ideas" or being divorced from reality.

Can't say that I blame Reality if she has to put up with your strange ideas.

Doctor Evil

"Kaiser" wrote in message

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

See, you have got a sense of humour after all.

Mr Chesse, I am the funniest person in the world.

Why do you keep changing my name, one minute its Mr Cheese, then Mt Cheese
and now Mr Chesse?

Mr Cheese, it just Cheese then.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

John Rumm

also always ready to explain *why* he is of that opinion, withuot
resorting to IMM style "I am always right, trust me" statements.

That just isn't true. Andy is as prone as IMM (and any of the rest of
us) to wheeling out his pet hobby horses. He just has force of
personality and a better facility for dressing it up in some florid
language which makes it seems reasonable - but ultimately, many times,
it collapses under analysis.

This may be true some times, but not that often in my opinion (taken
over a time frame of several years). However where we are dealing with
matters of opinion, our feelings as to whether a given viewpoint stands
up to analysis will be largely lead by our own beliefs and prejudices
anyway, rather than black or white, right or wrong.

Where we are dealing with matters of verifiable engineering or
scientific fact then I freely admit that I have more implicit trust in
Andy's ability to post accurately on these matters than I do IMMs. He
has earned that respect over time for the quality and accuracy of his
for their own obvious expertise in particular areas, ans some for their
solid common sense approach to solving problems. Some for their general
good humour in giving said advice. I would include Andys' Wade, and
Dingley, Grunff, Nightjar, Stefek, Ed, John (boilerdoc), Christian,
Lurch etc. (that was not an exhaustive list - in fact I partly wish I
had not started it since I am going to forget a whole bunch of people
who ought to be in it. So don't be offended if your name did not appear!)

Andy has brands he likes (like the rest
of us) and he praises them and dismisses the rest without looking.

Sure we all have pet brands and solutions. I also know why Andy (and for
that matter IMM) dismiss some classes of product without consideration.
I have no difficulty with Andy saying "This is what I would do and here
is why", I find IMM's "This is what you should do because you must
conform to my world view of DIY" style a little less agreeable.

No, I believe he says that for many users, a slight error may not be
critical. Much depends on the type of work you are doing.

I can't believe the contortions we'll go through on this group rather
than admit any failing on Andy's part. If it's built to acceptable
tolerances, why go on about it? If it's not, then what's the point of
paying through the nose for it?

I don't see it as a contortion, just exploring a possible scenario for
why some people may not choose to return said item.... It may be that
Andy is just very fussy about these things being spot on (in fact no
_may_ about it!) It may also be that they do have a higher than usual
return rate for this product - I don't know and I doubt they are about
to tell me either.

In answer to your question, it was obviously not worth paying good money
for it in the circumstances, which is why I presume he returned it.

Well as highlighted, the Ferm could do 90 degrees on one axis, but

sadly failed on the latteral one!

So does that make it better than a DeWalt that doesn't do 90 degrees?
If they're both slightly out-of-whack, is the 40 quid one better value?

If you are comparing a Ferm to a DeWalt with a design flaw, then yes
possibly - both will give you less than spot on accuracy, the Ferm does
it for less. I expect the Dewalt will carry on doing it for years longer
in a heavy use environment however. Not sure if that is good or bad mind
you given the circumstances.

Well, I have the greatest of respect for you, John, and I hope you will
take a moment to reflect on what's been said and perhaps acknowledge
that Andy isn't always right.

I don't believe Andy is always right. Or myself or anyone else for that
matter. I have found it is difficult to achieve anything of value and
never be wrong or make mistakes. While I get the feeling he and I share
similar views on many things, I also get the feeling that he is on
occasion perhaps more extreme in those views. If Andy posts and omits
what I feel is a valid point, then I will usually follow it up. I don't
often spot disingenuous scientific errors of the "you can get more than
100% efficiency from a boiler" type. If I did, I would comment. Much of
the correspondence IMM attracts seems to stem from his (I presume
wilfully) misinterpretation and extrapolation of others arguments. Andy
rises to the bait (as do I) too often probably. I will confess that
sometimes it is interesting to goad him a little bit further just to see
how many other appendages he has room for having got both feet in his
mouth, other times it is the only way to get anything resembling a
straight answer (or more typically, lack of). There are even times where
IMM (or one of his AKAs) has posted good solid information that is of
relevance and use to an OPs question. On the grounds that there seemed
to be nothing wrong with the post I would typically not follow up.
Perhaps it is a little unfair in the circumstances that I choose not to
post a follow up commenting on this - but I am sure he neither seeks or
needs my approval!

****

Enough words have probably been spent on this subject, so I have a
proposal for a way to limit the number of times we need to have this
discussion in the future....

Thus:

New section for the FAQ, "How to choose a power tool". We start off with
the gamut of possible views from "buy the best quality at any cost",
to "buy several of the cheapest". Take in the options for "one time job
disposable tools", and "balanced approach based on likely usage etc".

Give each category a number.

Then when someone posts a question of the type "What is the best nnnn?"
we can direct them to the FAQ and ask which thought process/pocket depth
most closely matches yours?

When can then suggest answers fitting that viewpoint (or more
importantly) not suggest in cases where we don't believe the viewpoint
is valid.

We can also include reference to our own "Tool Attitude Type" in

What does the panel think? I am happy to have a lash at a draft of some
of the words to get the ball rolling if it is felt it would help.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
John Rumm

Kaiser wrote:

Headers don't prove a thing, different PC, different SP, different
Newsreader, all those things can change a header.

Personally I think it unlikely that Mike, is another fantasy creation of
the poster AKA as IMM.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mark wrote:

The more difficult - ie harder types of concrete or masonry will
laugh at a hammer drill and masonry bit - you need SDS.

Hmm perhaps you would like to explain to anyone still interested in this
thread from a technical point of view, why this is so ?

Insufficient energy per percussion...

By way of comparison, the render on some parts of the outside of my
house is so hard that if I stick a new 7mm masonry bit in my Bosch
hammer drill, I can get a hole about 10mm deep in a couple of mins.
Another 5 mins of drilling will get the bit knackered, and the hole
wider, but not much deeper.

A 7mm SDS drill bit in my SDS drill at about 1/2 speed will sink a hole
straight through the render in 10 secs flat. Much the same story if you
need to drill engineering bricks.

If you need to drill hard masonry with any regularity then SDS is the
only way to go.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

When I confront you, I'm "diverting the discussion into an ad hominem
attack" but when you call IMM a "****"... what exactly is that?

A slang expression for the female pudenda...

(You will probably find IMM has thrown most people on this group a wide
variety of different insults)

Most people on this list would agree that the DeWalt was expensive - in
realtion to a spread of prices for "common" biscuit jointers.

Quick survey of some online shops:

Ferm £30
SIP £52
Freud £100
Rexon £150
DeWalt £168
Bosch £177
Makita £197
Lamello Classic £248
Lamello Top £470

Looks like "mid range" is not an unfair description... mid to high would
also fit. Certainly not top end though.

But you have to compare it to an esoteric Lamello.

Who invented the technology...

You say that I'm missing the point and assuming DIY is a limited range
of activities. Well, I think I'm using DIY in the sense that most
people would understand it. If you're making fine furniture to a high
standard, isn't that what most people would call cabinet making and not
DIY?

What about my doing a loft conversion, or Rick building a house... is
that not also DIY, or have we crossed the line into being builders? If
so, does that disqualify our recommendation?

You say that if I don't view the area broadly, I shouldn't denigrate
others who do. But denigrating others is what you do when you say that
Ferm is kak, DeWalt is kak, only Lamello is good enough.

Saying Ferm is kak seems fair enough... I have two bits of Ferm kit,
they serve a purpose, but they are a bit rough in a number of areas.
From listening to the owners, I get the impression that DeWalt is
variable, some stuff seems top end and worthy of their (former)
reputation, some seems to be rebadged B&D kit with a higher price tag.
Not used Lamello myself, but the couple of folks I have spoken to who
have, rate their biscuit jointers as the best.

You say that I think the sole objective of DIY is too save money.
Then wouldn't I recommend everyone buy Challenge from argos and have
done with it?

Which biscuit jointer do you recommend, and why, Mike?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Andy Hall

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:04:26 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

[...]

I think that this is a very good idea, John.

I would suggest having some general sections on principles of
selection, and then some others on a few tool types. Jig saws
spring to mind, because several of us had had the impression that they
were universally worthless until we found good products such as Bosch.

It probably doesn't make sense to get into product specifics because
a) it will depend on what the person is looking for and their
purchasing criteria, b) will change with time.

There are a few "truisms" that do seem to hold for a reasonably long
period of time, e.g. Makita makes good cordless drills, Bosch has good
jig saws, Hitachi makes good circular saws and so on. Typically that
doesn't change all that quickly.

However, all manufacturers periodically have an outstanding good
product and sometimes they have a dud.

I think it should be reasonably easy to come up with something that
provides useful information while not requiring too much maintenance
which probably wouldn't happen.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

wrote:

Sure we all have pet brands and solutions. I also know why Andy (and for
that matter IMM) dismiss some classes of product without consideration.

When looking for a tool of a type that I've never had before, I begin
by giving my amount of use and expectation of what I will need to
achieve a lot of thought. This helps me to select whether I am
looking for low, mid or high end.

For example, when I bought an angle grinder, it was a Bosch green one
at the lower end of mid range. I don't use it that much and it does
a good and reliable job. In most cases, I tend to leave out the very
top and very bottom ends but do sanity check them.

Then I look at which manufacturers have a consistently good track
record for the given tool type. From that it becomes pretty easy to
narrow the selection to manufacturers and price points and to end up
with a short list.

I have no difficulty with Andy saying "This is what I would do and here
is why",

This is what I try to do.

I don't believe Andy is always right. Or myself or anyone else for that
matter. I have found it is difficult to achieve anything of value and
never be wrong or make mistakes. While I get the feeling he and I share
similar views on many things, I also get the feeling that he is on
occasion perhaps more extreme in those views.

In some cases yes. For me, good service and backup are extremely
important and this means doing it properly, not by swap and disposal.

I can fully accept that there are scenarios where disposal and
replacement are the reasonable solution. I don't like to buy power
tools on that basis. I want to be able to buy spares or get products
fixed. Typically I find that if that infrastructure is in place, the
product has been made to a good standard anyway and the need doesn't
arise very often.

I am very intolerant of poor customer service and in particular of
retailers attempting to slippery shoulder their responsibilities. On
that, I am unapologetically clear. I always take the position of
expecting people to do what they say they are going to do. After
all, they are perfectly happy to make those promises at time of sale.
Sometimes I even go to the trouble of pointing out to somebody about
overpromising when I suspect that they may not be able to deliver.
However, once all is agreed and money changes hands, that's it - I do
expect to get what has been agreed, and usually that means hassle and
time waste free continuous use of a product for a reasonable period of
time.

Sometimes something goes wrong and a fix is required. Then I am very
pleased if the supplier makes the effort to fix the problem, bur I am
looking to them to do that quickly and expeditiously and without my
needing to push them. I won't accept that fixing a problem is
somebody else's problem - e.g. retailers saying that the manufacturer
is to blame or they have to send the item to that place for repair.
If something is dependent on a third party for a fix, then I don't
believe that that absolves the supplier from responsibility (and
neither does the law). The supplier can always fix the problem, even
if that means refund or replace.

If a supplier makes reasonable effort to do what they said that they
would do at the outset or something close to it then I seldom push
them on compensating me for lost time and cost.
However, if their attitude is markedly different to what was promised,
I will go for the throat.

Some people feel that it is OK to have a situation of a big gap
between promise and deliver, perhaps through not wanting
confrontation. I simply don't subscribe to that school of thought
and don't feel that it is unreasonable.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Roger

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

The ones I saw were all BMC dealers and sold the lot. Or Austin/Morris
dealers. On becoming BMC Austin and Morris dealers merged very quickly.

The pieces are coming together. If you remember this as a car buyer you're
an old man, which accounts for the fact that you can't actually do
anything DIY anymore, but sit in your sheltered home and surf the net for
your 'opinions'.

BMC - basically the amalgamation between Austin and the Nuffield group
took place in the early '50s. So if about 20, that makes you 80 odd.

Not so long ago dIMM claimed to have been a child much later than that.
I can't now recall whether it was the 60s or 70s but if true in neither
case could he be likely to have any practical experience of buying a
brand new 1100 (discontinued 1974) of any flavour.

Perhaps you could ask your nurse to reduce your medication before posting?

I am of the opinion that the problem is that he *isn't* taking his medication.

--
Roger
Roger

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

If you need to drill hard masonry with any regularity then SDS is the
only way to go.

If you have a hard stone house drilling holes with a normal hammer drill
is likely to reduce some people to tears. A SDS drill is a revelation.

--
Roger
Jim Alexander

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 2 Mar 2005 14:31:01 -0800, wrote:

It seems to me that it's you who has the issue here. Firstly I have
never claimed or even given the impression that I am always right.

Pehaps the problem is in the message and how it is received. Perhaps the
concern is that the group gets hijacked by an interminable moronic thread
because two people are at it, yes two and both insistant on having the final
say so. I know there is an issue that in order to avoid misguiding those
looking for info perhaps moronic post should be countered but the way it
goes I don't think it works.

Personally when you forthrightly stated warranties on cheapos were scam
warranties I objected because in my personal experience that's not the case.
A few examples, PP planer switch went intermittant, replaced without
question. I was planing Fermacel edges so a cheapo was definately what I
wanted. Challenge sander just kind of wandered over the surface unlike my
Bosch which had shamefully packed up. Refunded without question by Argos is
spite of it showing evidence of use. So no sign of scam warranty there.
Neither is it always the case that cheapos are crap. Lidl 18V cordless
drill, well not needed the warranty yet as its been a good buy and seems
sound electrically and mechanically though the batteries are not brilliant
but there are 2 and they still charge more quickly than they discharge in
use. When my Lidl kettle leaked, refunded without question. So no sign a
of scam warranty there either.

It was my Makita drill that packed up. OK perhaps I should have replaced
the brushes earlier but since useful as it was it was overpowered for SDS
drilling of 8mm holes and underpowered for chiselling and core-cutting, not
a criticism but a recognition, I now find that my new £14.99 cheapo drill
is perfectly adequate for 8mm holes in masonry.

Jim A

timegoesby

wrote in message
ups.com...

I have just tuned into this thread and at last someone is attacking
the IMM/Dr Evil bashers. I renovate houses for a living, after
starting off doing it part time. I install all the plumbing myself,
after bad experiences with plumbers. I look into this group a bit and
mainly use Google to access some very useful info. To me, one of the
most valuable contributors is IMM. He is highly knowledgeable on
heating and water. How anyone can mock or counter his views I find
amazing. He has helped me out of many corners and doesn't know it as I
have gained the information from Google, and frequently gives a
different view that is simple and cost effective. When IMM goes absent
for a few weeks many people ask where he, as Fred recently did, as he
is highly appreciated by many people here. Some we don't want to be
hounded out.

The first problem I was helped with was when IMM suggested using a
combination cylinder heated by a combi and the combi water part only
heated the shower for high pressure. I would never have thought of
this in a million years. I put the combination cylinder in the boarded
loft which added another cupboard, and value to the house. Plumbers
were suggesting cylinders, power shower pumps and plastic tanks and
all sorts of old hat suggestions.

IMM is mocked here for suggesting installing two cheap combis to zone
off the heating in a house and give higher water flows. I have took
his suggestion on board of using two Worcester Bosch Junior combis and
combining the outlets of each for the bath, with the result being a
cheap installation that is very neat and simple, supplying a bath, two
showers and splits upstairs and downstairs into independent heating
zones with a programmer stat on each. Any other method would have cost
me about £1,500 extra, not to mention the time I saved.

I instructed the estate agent to mention the independent heating of
upstairs and downstairs and the powerful showers to viewers. The
combis are in a downstairs "cloakroom" consuming little room and very
neat to look at. This cloakroom would have been taken up with a large
cylinder otherwise. The cloakroom added value to the house. The house
sold within a week getting the asking price for the first time, and
the split heating system and cloakroom added to its appeal.

I have saved IMMs recent post on the combination cylinder with a quick
recovery coil and a shower coil. I never knew these shower coils
existed, so this maybe useful for the next house. I inquired about
shower coil cylinders at the local merchants and no one had heard of
them, even the plumbers waiting to be served. Before I lurked on this
group I never knew much about thermal stores, heat banks or that
square thermal stores are available or Powermaxes and Istores. What I
do I prefer is packaged systems. The more inside one white box the
better for me and the buyer. I have noted the Gledhill cylinders
which are in neat square boxes with the pumps inside.

In the next house I may install full length body jet showers as these
are now a definite attraction and sell a house or flat quicker being
viewed as therapeutic and fun. High pressure and large flows are
needed. I don't want excessively large space consuming cylinders to
take up space, which means I will be back for advise when the time
comes. Another point I think may be an added attraction for quick
selling, is instant hot water at the taps using a secondary
circulation loop. I didn't know a combi could have secondary
circulation. IMMs posts have been saved on this point.

I had never heard of refinished Fermacell wallboards until I read one
of IMMs posts and now I use this when building en-suite shower rooms.
Ever tried to get a plasterer?

Andy has gained the respect of some regulars. He just hasn't ascended
to godhood yet and there are people prepared to point out when he's
wrong.

IMM/Dr Evil has already been elevated to that status by those who do
appreciate his knowledge and advise.
http://tinyurl.com/57d9h

Long may IMM stay. And like Fred I now have to Google on IMM and Dr
Evil to get information.

For interest, the points which I find sell a house or flat in the more
upmarket areas of north and north west London a

good doors, especially the front door.
good door handles as people touch these on entering
good quality shower mixer with high pressure
good quality mixer taps
good quality shower fittings.
all white large tiled bathroom.
ventilator/halogen light over the shower
radiators not conspicuous. If they have to be then try to have a
designer
radiator.
Kickspace heater in the kitchen eliminating a radiator. (Instruct
estate agent to inform viewers it gently blows hot air over your feet
in the morning)
heated towel rail in the bathroom.
en-suite shower and toilet room off the main bedroom (If one can be
fitted)
good light kitchen and maybe designer label, like Neff, for appliances
on show. Integrated out of sight appliances can be cheaper models.
seating area in the kitchen if possible. (this is a very good selling
point)
laminate floors (not in kitchen or bathroom) and not light beech
colour which turns people off.
all painted cream. Sarah Beany is right, as it does work.
nice modern artwork on the walls, especially in the hall as people
enter.
An attractive light fitted bedroom that can take a large bed
downlighters in the right places, as in the hall, giving a good first
impression, kitchen and bathroom.
chrome or stainless sockets over the kitchen worktops
Tidy and plain gardens with broad leaf plants (can be in pots around
the perimiter and front door as no time to grow them)
if a cylinder is an airing cupboard, then pipes and zone valves must
be neat and back against the walls.
no visible pipes, except in airing cupboards
no visible plastic pipes.
no visible wires, except in airing cupboards and then in plastic
conduit.
no visible hot water cylinders if possible.
no visible consumer units.
no dark wood.
no gloss paint.

Many of these individual points may appear trivial and not worth
doing. They are not trivial, contributing to a complete whole that
both seller and buyer gain from, and they do add value and sell a
place quickly. Having many thousands of pounds locked in in a property
that is laying for six months unsold can be devastating.

Tony Bryer

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
BMC - basically the amalgamation between Austin and the Nuffield
group took place in the early '50s.

Manufacturing yes. Dealerships no. If you read the histories of BMC
one of the various reasons for its slide was the power of the
dealers, unlike Ford who IIRC had a policy of not allowing any
dealership chain to take more than x% of its production (where x was
a very small number) so that Ford controlled its dealers rather than
the other way round.

"Rather than tackling these issues head-on – something that really
should have been done years previously – Harriman acceded to the
wishes of the Nuffield dealers, and agreed to release ADO16 [1100]
just as a Morris model initially. An Austin version would appear
only after a sufficiently long delay. This sop to the dealers may
have seemed like a good idea at the time as a way of pacifying any
dissenting voices, but it undoubtedly cost BMC sales"

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?ado16storyf.htm

"As Morris dealers had first bite at the cherry with the 1100,
Austin dealers were first to get the new big car [1800] with the
Morris version making its debut in 1966"

http://www.landcrab.net/mainframes/main_production.htm

Doctor Evil

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Kaiser wrote:

Headers don't prove a thing, different PC, different SP, different
Newsreader, all those things can change a header.

Personally I think it unlikely that Mike, is another fantasy creation of
the poster AKA as IMM.

IMM has never created fantasies.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
John Rumm

Mark wrote:

Insufficient energy per percussion...

So the criteria of a SDS chuck in itself Is irrelevant, otherwise we would
never been able to drill a hole in hard masonry before its invention.

I was using the term SDS as a shorthand for the whole SDS Drill rather
than just the chuck. This seems to be a bit of a moot point however
since I am not aware of any conventional drill that use a SDS chuck but
are not also accompanied by the SDS style hammer mechanism.

Obviously (before im corrected) if you increase the percussion energy
beyond a certain point, a drill bit in a 3jaw chuck will slip and rotate,

It goes a bit beyond that. One of the gains in hammer efficency on the
SDS chuck is the fact that the chuck itself is not "hammered" - i.e. it
stays put, and the drill bit (which is free to slide in and out of the
chuck) cops the full force of the hammer.

but SDS does not define the suitability of the drill for the job.

If you mean the chuck on its own, then no.

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

[...]

What? It's a moving target. You would just say, buy Makita and more Makita.
As Mike says, the poor ******* who is broke after buying his first hose,
should buy a Makita to do the job around the house?

You are just plainly unobjective when it come to this point.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Roger, how is the voluntary works going? Have those volunteers made any
impression with you yet?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:06:15 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On 2 Mar 2005 14:31:01 -0800, wrote:

It seems to me that it's you who has the issue here. Firstly I have
never claimed or even given the impression that I am always right.

Pehaps the problem is in the message and how it is received.

I simply try to be as clear as possible. I can't be responsible for
how people choose to interpret what is said.

Personally when you forthrightly stated warranties on cheapos were scam
warranties I objected because in my personal experience that's not the case.

OK, let me be more specific about what I meant.

I didn't say or even mean to imply that the retailer wouldn't honour
the warranty by exchanging the product within the specified period.

My point was that the approach is a scam because exchange is usually
the *only* remedy that they have for many of these own/anonymous
products.

This means that if the thing breaks within the warranty period, a
replacement or refund happens without questions asked unless there is
evidence of misuse - and perhaps even then.

My issue is what happens after that - e.g. in months 13, 25 or 37 and
beyond.

There is no service organisation, no spares backup and no means of
repair in most cases. In effect the only option is to buy a new
product.

I have a number of issues with this approach:

1) The retailer does not make it clear to potential customers what the
reality of the situation is. There are helplines (which in reality
are a simple call centre that achieves little) and apparently
attractive warranties. They don't have notices by he products or in
the manuals that the arrangement is replacement only, that there is
not real support and that there is no provision for repair or spares
after the end of warranty. Many times I have seen customers at the
returns counter in DIY stores having brought back a product out of
warranty and being told that they can't have a replacement but will
have to buy a new one. The look of astonishment on some people's
faces has been a picture. They have assumed that because there is a
seemingly attractive warranty, that the manufacturer is taking his
support responsibilities seriously. Nothing is further from the
truth. The fact that the retailer is not open about this is, in my
view, a complete and utter scam and I feel that legislation should be
passed such that retailers are required to provide precise details of
the nature of the support during and after warranty. It is very
apparent that a significant proportion of customers are taken in by
what is basically a cynical marketing an distribution mechanism with a
certain predicted return rate. I believe that this is fundamentally
wrong.

2) If I am sharp enough to figure out the situation, my buying
decision becomes more complicated. If I choose the own label product
with N year replacement support, I have to take a view on how long the
product is likely to last after that. Since many of these products
are built down to a price and sold on features with a build quality
adjusted to achieve better than a certain return rate, I have to take
a fairly conservative to pessimistic view on longevity after the
warranty expires. For practical purposes, I have to consider that
the product is written down to zero and living on borrowed time after
the end of the warranty.

On the other hand, if I buy a product of better build quality and with
availability of spares and proper service then I have more options
available to me after the end of any warranty. With a better build
quality, there is a better chance that the product won't need repair
and spares for rather longer anyway which further reduces the expected
cost of ownership. When I also factor in the quality of use, absence
of messing around factor and stronger position with the retailer in
the event of a problem, it becomes easy to justify a higher purchase
price.

All of this is before one gets into the ecological soundness or
otherwise of the throw-away mentality.

A few examples, PP planer switch went intermittant, replaced without
question. I was planing Fermacel edges so a cheapo was definately what I
wanted. Challenge sander just kind of wandered over the surface unlike my
Bosch which had shamefully packed up. Refunded without question by Argos is
spite of it showing evidence of use. So no sign of scam warranty there.
Neither is it always the case that cheapos are crap. Lidl 18V cordless
drill, well not needed the warranty yet as its been a good buy and seems
sound electrically and mechanically though the batteries are not brilliant
but there are 2 and they still charge more quickly than they discharge in
use. When my Lidl kettle leaked, refunded without question. So no sign a
of scam warranty there either.

This is not the point that I was making. That was all about what
happens after the warranty has expired and the fact that the retailers
don't make the situation clear.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:36:01 -0000, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

What? It's a moving target.

Obviously, which is why I went on to point out that there was no point
in including specifics on models.

You would just say, buy Makita and more Makita.

That wasn't the point at all. It is noticable and obvious that
certain manufacturers tend to have good track records on certain tool
types. I gave examples of that. It is therefore reasonable, when
putting together a purchasing short list to factor that in.

I specifically pointed out that sometimes manufacturers have a dud
design, even in a product type in which they normally excell. It
doesn't often happen, but when it does, the product is either fixed or
killed quickly.

As Mike says, the poor ******* who is broke after buying his first hose,
should buy a Makita to do the job around the house?

Depending on the *complete* circumstances.

Once again, you are coming back to the oversimplistic view that
purchase price is the only factor to consider.

I will accept that if somebody has just bought their first house that
money may be tight.

However, if one looks at a bigger picture, it can be very easy to
justify investment on a good quality tool.

For example, it may well be that because he has bought said house that
he works a lot of hours to produce extra income to fund its purchase,
leaving less free time. It may also be that work is required to be
done to the house. Taking these together, maximising productivity by
choosing a product that is unlikely to have problems, which is well
controlled and comfortable to use can be a good way to achieve what is
required. In that scenario, spending more money for a something that
fits these crtieria can be a sound and sensible investment, even if it
doesn't equate to paying the lowest price.

You are just plainly unobjective when it come to this point.

Actually I'm highly objective and tend to look at a wide range of
issues.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Rumm

Doctor Evil wrote:

Saying Ferm is kak seems fair enough... I have two bits of Ferm kit,
they serve a purpose, but they are a bit rough in a number of areas.

That doesn't mean they should not be even looked at as Andy proclaims.

Andy said he would not look at them, which given his buying criteria
seems fair enough. I don't recall him saying you or anyone else couldn't
though.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Doctor Evil wrote:

What? It's a moving target. You would just say, buy Makita and more Makita.
As Mike says, the poor ******* who is broke after buying his first hose,
should buy a Makita to do the job around the house?

Given that the whole purpose of my suggestion is to encompase all the
various opinions, and to lay out pros and cons of each, you are more
than welcome to submit your formula for power tool selection.

I was not proposing to weight any particular method as better or worse
than any other - each have merits.

If a potential buyer knows what criteria they are buying on, they can
solicit advice that is compatible with that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Evil

wrote:

[...]

Not at all. You buy the tool to suit the job. Buying a £100 Makita to sit in
the cupboard all year is a really silly idea.

Then there is the point of the throw away society of three Ferm/Challege
Extreme, etc for the price of one Makita SDS, with these products having
long guarantees for many of them. Buy two, if one breaks pick up another
and still going and still lots of change in your pocket.

You are just plainly unobjective when
it come to this point.

Actually I'm highly objective and
tend to look at a wide range of
issues.

Don't let the policeman hear you......

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Jim Alexander

wrote:

This is not the point that I was making. That was all about what
happens after the warranty has expired and the fact that the retailers
don't make the situation clear.

So, surprise surprise neatly full circle back your disigenuity about Miele
warranty and your insatiable desire for the final say so, just like the
other one.

What I was saying, mainly, was that the retailer of *any* product, quality
or cheapo,
washes his hands after the expiry of the sold warranty whether that is 12,
24 or 36 months and where the extended element is an manufacturers
extension, almost certainly after the unwritten "sale of goods" period
expires after 12 months. I personally have no expectation of redress after
the sold warranty period expires and that is factored into the purchasing
decision, nor in my frequent passages through DIY sheds have I ever been
aware of customers seeking redress over out of sold warranty cheapo power
tools.

As for the implication that my fellow cheapo or non Miele users have no
concern for the
environment, well that's the sort of arrogant assertion which is responsible
for some of the flak flying in your direction at the moment.

Thought you avoided DIY sheds anyway.

Jim A

Andy Hall

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:13:57 -0000, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

Not at all. You buy the tool to suit the job.

Exactly

Buying a £100 Makita to sit in
the cupboard all year is a really silly idea.

Why do you make the assumption that that would happen?

This is another stereotype of yours, similar to the one about DIY
equating to cheap.

Then there is the point of the throw away society of three Ferm/Challege
Extreme, etc for the price of one Makita SDS, with these products having
long guarantees for many of them. Buy two, if one breaks pick up another
and still going and still lots of change in your pocket.

I'm not going to waste my time having that discussion with you. I've
explained the reasoning behind why I won't go down that path and
that's that.

You are just plainly unobjective when
it come to this point.

Actually I'm highly objective and
tend to look at a wide range of
issues.

Don't let the policeman hear you......

Or especially the policemen's helmets....??

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:17:36 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

This is not the point that I was making. That was all about what
happens after the warranty has expired and the fact that the retailers
don't make the situation clear.

So, surprise surprise neatly full circle back your disigenuity about Miele
warranty and your insatiable desire for the final say so, just like the
other one.

I was simply clarifying an earlier point to avoid misunderstanding.

What I was saying, mainly, was that the retailer of *any* product, quality
or cheapo,
washes his hands after the expiry of the sold warranty whether that is 12,
24 or 36 months and where the extended element is an manufacturers
extension, almost certainly after the unwritten "sale of goods" period
expires after 12 months.

OK. I don't disagree that the retailer would *like* to do that. If
the product is low end, then he can reasonably make that argument. If
it is higher end, then I can reasonably make the argument, and have,
that he owns the problem for a reasonable period of time up to the 6
year statute of limitations.

At that point, it is a matter of negotiation and if the retailer and I
disagree then I have the option of taking legal action against the
retailer and have done. The notion of a 12 month warranty is a
fiction that is unsupported in consumer legislation.

If the manufacturer wishes to provide or sell through the retailer an
extended warranty, it is merely a convenience, but does not absolve
the retailer of his prime responsibility.

I personally have no expectation of redress after
the sold warranty period expires and that is factored into the purchasing
decision, nor in my frequent passages through DIY sheds have I ever been
aware of customers seeking redress over out of sold warranty cheapo power
tools.

This is one of the exact points. I would have no expectation of
redress after the end of warranty on a private labelled inexpensive
product sold by a DIY store. However, this is not where I consider
the scam to be. My point is that there is usually no support, repair
or sparing available after the warranty period on these products even
if I am prepared to pay. I am denied that option and the only choice
that I am left with is to buy a replacement. That situation is not
made clear at the outset, and it should be.

If I buy a quality product and consider that it has unreasonably
failed after any notional warranty period that the retailer or
manufacturer may give, then I will certainly push the retailer on that
and have done successfully. In almost all cases, the situation
doesn't arise, and spares or repairs are more typically needed at what
I would consider to be a reasonable time after purchase. I then have
the option to pursue that path, but I don't necessarily expect the
retailer to be involved in that either commercially or logistically.
If they are and offer a good service, then I am much more likely to
buy from them in the future, however.

As for the implication that my fellow cheapo or non Miele users have no
concern for the
environment, well that's the sort of arrogant assertion which is responsible
for some of the flak flying in your direction at the moment.

I specifically avoided making an issue of that and leave it as a
matter for the individual as I think is appropriate for most issues
like this

Thought you avoided DIY sheds anyway.

There are occasions when they are of use, but I find visiting them
about as pleasurable as a visit to IKEA on a Saturday, so
understandably avoid if I can.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Evil

wrote:

Not at all. You buy the tool to suit the job.

Exactly

Buying a £100 Makita to sit in
the cupboard all year is a really silly idea.

Why do you make the assumption
that that would happen?

Do a Google on what you write.

This is another stereotype of yours, similar to the one about DIY
equating to cheap.

No. No getting the right tools for the job and the least expense.
Price/performance.

Then there is the point of the throw away society of three Ferm/Challege
Extreme, etc for the price of one Makita SDS, with these products having
long guarantees for many of them. Buy two, if one breaks pick up another
and still going and still lots of change in your pocket.

I'm not going to waste my time having
that discussion with you. I've
explained the reasoning behind why I
won't go down that path and that's that.

I know it was buy only expensive stuff, mainly Makita. Why don't you buy
Panasonic, they are more expensive than Makita?

You are just plainly unobjective when
it come to this point.

Actually I'm highly objective and
tend to look at a wide range of
issues.

Don't let the policeman hear you......

Or especially the policemen's helmets....??

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

Thought you avoided DIY sheds anyway.

He goes to Harrods, so the service calling wears a top hat.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:

Saying Ferm is kak seems fair enough... I have two bits of Ferm kit,
they serve a purpose, but they are a bit rough in a number of areas.

That doesn't mean they should not
be even looked at as Andy proclaims.

Andy said he would not look at them,
which given his buying criteria
seems fair enough. I don't recall him
saying you or anyone else couldn't
though.

He has more than implied that over several years. That is why he is getting
a slaughtering on this thread by many who have had enough.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
John Rumm

Mark wrote:

From an engineering point of view that has nothing to do with efficiency, it

You think? I would say it has quite a lot to do with it.

A traditional chuck with drill bit fixed, will have a much higher mass
than just the (splined) bit on its own.

Each blow from the pneumatic hammer mechanism will generate a certain
amount of energy (c. 2J is not uncommon on the lighter machines) of
which a proportion will transferred to the projectile (i.e. either drill
in the case of the SDS design, or drill plus chuck in conventional design)

The greater the inertia of the projectile, the more energy you are
likely to lose at the point of impact (noise, heat, vibration,
deformation of the components etc), and the less forward velocity you
will impart on it. The more vibration etc, the more energy dissipated
into the operator which is both inefficient and fatiguing.

's a neat solution to both a manufacturing consideration and a safety issue.
You would not want your fingers trapped between a chuck and a hard place.

yup.

--
Cheers,

John.

.

In article , Jim Alexander
writes

.. .
wrote:

This is not the point that I was making. That was all about what
happens after the warranty has expired and the fact that the retailers
don't make the situation clear.

So, surprise surprise neatly full circle back your disigenuity about Miele
warranty and your insatiable desire for the final say so, just like the
other one.

What I was saying, mainly, was that the retailer of *any* product, quality
or cheapo,
washes his hands after the expiry of the sold warranty whether that is 12,
24 or 36 months and where the extended element is an manufacturers
extension, almost certainly after the unwritten "sale of goods" period
expires after 12 months.

Buy a quality product and you stand a very good chance of getting
redress even after the warranty expires assuming your claim has some
merit, the manufacturers have a reputation to think of, its a commercial
decision.

I personally have no expectation of redress after
the sold warranty period expires and that is factored into the purchasing
decision, nor in my frequent passages through DIY sheds have I ever been
aware of customers seeking redress over out of sold warranty cheapo power
tools.

As for the implication that my fellow cheapo or non Miele users have no
concern for the
environment, well that's the sort of arrogant assertion which is responsible
for some of the flak flying in your direction at the moment.

Thought you avoided DIY sheds anyway.

Jim A

--
David
Doctor Evil

"Holly, in France" wrote in message

Doctor Evil wrote in message
.

I know it was buy only expensive stuff, mainly Makita. Why
don't you buy Panasonic, they are more expensive than Makita?

They are also better, at least our cordless drill is, other peoples
mileage may vary - not yours of course cos you wouldn't buy one.
The Panasonic is about ten years old and is more powerful for and keeps
going longer between charges than the Makita, which is about three years
old. I suspect that is a difference in the battery quality/capacity.
Possibly also voltages, don;t know offhand and I'm not going out in the
snow to have a look! It's also heavier than the Makita and the chuck is
stiff, so I prefer the Makita or the little B&D. If I wanted a cordless
drill/driver for stuff around the house I would buy a B&D type product,
for regular use the more expensive ones are a better buy. Same with most
tools, horses for courses etc, you get what you pay for. I'm with Andy
all the way on this one. I don't suppose you're convinced :-)

You said it " horses for courses etc". That sums it up. An occasional DIYer
should not buy a Panasonic. And I agree they are quality, leaving Makita
standing. BTW, I have a 12v Bosch, which for ergonomics and lightness is
hard to beat. But is it Bosch and it falls out of the fixed drill position
to the highest toque setting. They are crap, I don't like them as they are
overpriced and under quality. Similar with DeWalt. May as well buy Skil and
B&D.

I know lots of tradesmen, I come in contact with them regularly and many
swear by Kress (Wickes). The woodworkers and kitchen fitters tend top go for
Makita, DeWalt and Trend. They are a frightened to change from those makes
even though many will tell you they have to get them repaired more often
than what they would like too.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Kaiser

[...]

There are several different models of 12 volt Bosch drills, some are as you
say crap, but others very robust, Which particular 12 volt Bosch are you
referring to?

Holly, in France

Doctor Evil wrote in message
..

[...]

Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Andy Hall

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:27:06 -0000, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

No. No getting the right tools for the job and the least expense.
Price/performance.

I consider that to be too limited a view.

Then there is the point of the throw away society of three Ferm/Challege
Extreme, etc for the price of one Makita SDS, with these products having
long guarantees for many of them. Buy two, if one breaks pick up another
and still going and still lots of change in your pocket.

I'm not going to waste my time having
that discussion with you. I've
explained the reasoning behind why I
won't go down that path and that's that.

I know it was buy only expensive stuff, mainly Makita. Why don't you buy
Panasonic, they are more expensive than Makita?

Because I don't buy purely on price in either direction as should have
become completely apparent by now,

Panasonic has very good battery technology which may be important if
the maximum activity between charges is the primary consideration. On
the other hand, the motor control is not quite as good as that of
Makita. Therefore, on balance, I prefer Makita's offering, but it is
not based on price.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Keep Several Hand Drills on Hand MilkyWhy Home Repair 5 December 24th 04 01:59 AM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM
Makita built in batteries for 7.2V cordless drills. P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº Woodworking 2 October 29th 03 12:48 AM
Core drills David Hearn UK diy 14 October 25th 03 07:40 PM
CORDLESS DRILLS WARRENRN1 Woodworking 17 August 9th 03 01:34 PM