Andy Hall

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:17:36 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:06:15 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

This is not the point that I was making. That was all about what
happens after the warranty has expired and the fact that the retailers
don't make the situation clear.

So, surprise surprise neatly full circle back your disigenuity about Miele
warranty and your insatiable desire for the final say so, just like the
other one.

I was simply clarifying an earlier point to avoid misunderstanding.

What I was saying, mainly, was that the retailer of *any* product, quality
or cheapo,
washes his hands after the expiry of the sold warranty whether that is 12,
24 or 36 months and where the extended element is an manufacturers
extension, almost certainly after the unwritten "sale of goods" period
expires after 12 months.

OK. I don't disagree that the retailer would *like* to do that. If
the product is low end, then he can reasonably make that argument. If
it is higher end, then I can reasonably make the argument, and have,
that he owns the problem for a reasonable period of time up to the 6
year statute of limitations.

At that point, it is a matter of negotiation and if the retailer and I
disagree then I have the option of taking legal action against the
retailer and have done. The notion of a 12 month warranty is a
fiction that is unsupported in consumer legislation.

If the manufacturer wishes to provide or sell through the retailer an
extended warranty, it is merely a convenience, but does not absolve
the retailer of his prime responsibility.

I personally have no expectation of redress after
the sold warranty period expires and that is factored into the purchasing
decision, nor in my frequent passages through DIY sheds have I ever been
aware of customers seeking redress over out of sold warranty cheapo power
tools.

This is one of the exact points. I would have no expectation of
redress after the end of warranty on a private labelled inexpensive
product sold by a DIY store. However, this is not where I consider
the scam to be. My point is that there is usually no support, repair
or sparing available after the warranty period on these products even
if I am prepared to pay. I am denied that option and the only choice
that I am left with is to buy a replacement. That situation is not
made clear at the outset, and it should be.

If I buy a quality product and consider that it has unreasonably
failed after any notional warranty period that the retailer or
manufacturer may give, then I will certainly push the retailer on that
and have done successfully. In almost all cases, the situation
doesn't arise, and spares or repairs are more typically needed at what
I would consider to be a reasonable time after purchase. I then have
the option to pursue that path, but I don't necessarily expect the
retailer to be involved in that either commercially or logistically.
If they are and offer a good service, then I am much more likely to
buy from them in the future, however.

As for the implication that my fellow cheapo or non Miele users have no
concern for the
environment, well that's the sort of arrogant assertion which is responsible
for some of the flak flying in your direction at the moment.

I specifically avoided making an issue of that and leave it as a
matter for the individual as I think is appropriate for most issues
like this

Thought you avoided DIY sheds anyway.

There are occasions when they are of use, but I find visiting them
about as pleasurable as a visit to IKEA on a Saturday, so
understandably avoid if I can.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl